The Title Race 2013/14

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
My money is still on Chelsea. They haven't been at their best, but they're still only two points off the top. You've got to think Mourinho will get them playing well before too long.

United and Chelsea haven't hit any kind of form yet. The difference is that they are within touching distance so have a massive advantage over us there.

City are in great form at home so if they can transfer that away then they wont be stopped. The bastards.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Form is hard to pinpoint really, I mean one more draw and a win for us and arsenal will have been in no better form than us despite us apparently having been on poor form all season and Arsenal in great form.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Form is hard to pinpoint really, I mean one more draw and a win for us and arsenal will have been in no better form than us despite us apparently having been on poor form all season and Arsenal in great form.

I suppose it's the manner in which you've been picking up your points vs the manner with which Arsenal, Liverpool and City have beaten teams. They've tended to win well and convincingly whereas in quite a few games you've had to fight for the points.

This isn't a criticism really as it's a fantastic trait to have and something which I see your lot being the best at this year. Hopefully we'll get that mentality back from here on in too and stop dropping shit points like the three games prior to today.

alastair

ignorant
Quite ridiculous how Arsenal could be in third and Chelsea fourth by the time the game kicks off on Monday night.

We need a win, simply. Chelsea haven't been defending well so we need to take advantage of that.

If we can just get that top position by Christmas, we may well be able to stay there by New Year, and then we've got a simpler January. If we lose to Chelsea, then we could see carnage.

Sam

We're not back in the title race you mentalists :lol:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I hope Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Everton, Newcastle and Spurs get kicked out of the league for corruption.

alastair

ignorant
I was of the view that there'd be a breakaway at some point of Arsenal, City and Chelsea, and I still stand by that, but it probably won't happen until around February.

Interval

Level
I think we'll drop out of the top 4. Liverpool look like they're right in the mix this time around and they won't drop out that easy. They have a decent team with some great in form players and its wishful thinkiing that they'll just magically drop out after consistently playing well for 15 odd games.

I also agree with Essex Rob that it is next to impossible to cover up a 7-8 gap to four teams to win the title.

We all sound like what Liverpool fans did in the previous years. One decent win and we're back in it. We are definitely not winning the league. We need ot keep our fingers crossed that one of the current top 4 has a massive brainfart to have any semblance of a fourth placed challenge.

Interval

Level
And once we have a tough run of games, we'll go back down again. Not to mention that this is assuming we'll win against all the other teams, which unlike Liverpool, we have not shown the capability of this season.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Once Man City and Chelsea beat them we will be right on their coat-tales come early January.
Assuming they do beat us.

Even if we do lose both, we'll have all our tricky away games done. Every other tough match bar Southampton is at home.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
This is the most interesting title race in decades. Any one out of Arsenal, Chelsea, City and dare I say it, Liverpool can win it. Outside chance for us and Everton.

At the moment, I can see Chelsea winning it. They have bit more consistency than the rest.

MajorTom

This is the most interesting title race in decades. Any one out of Arsenal, Chelsea, City and dare I say it, Liverpool can win it. Outside chance for us and Everton.

At the moment, I can see Chelsea winning it. They have bit more consistency than the rest.
Everton have absolutely no chance.

MajorTom

No they don't. Seriously, do you think Everton have more chance of winning the title than us? I don't think we will win the title but I'm still confident of a top four place.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
On current form, consistency and league position, yes. But like I said, just an outside chance quite similar to us. We can sensibly assume that they will lose momentum at some point (by default due to them being Everton). Bit like assuming that we will gain momentum (by default due to us being United). That's for the future, though. But at the moment, they are doing very well and better than us. It might well change in a few weeks time. Even for the other teams as well. Interesting title race for me.

dmode

The title will go either to City or Liverpool... both team deserves the title as per their actual performance... watching them is like watching us during the past years... either you accept it or not.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
The title will go either to City or Liverpool... both team deserves the title as per their actual performance... watching them is like watching us during the past years... either you accept it or not.
We won't win the title.

Cal?

CR7 fan

You mean how our zombie passing got us to the title in 2 of the last 3 seasons?

The title will likely go to Chelsea or City, Liverpool have as much chance as we have.

Interval

Level
You mean how our zombie passing got us to the title in 2 of the last 3 seasons?

The title will likely go to Chelsea or City, Liverpool have as much chance as we have.
No they don't. More than us given that they're EIGHT points ahead of us.

Amir

I'm sure some people think Liverpool won't be a problem because we have a better team and we'll end up ahead of them. It may happen, but you know what, after nearly half the season the table shows otherwise. We've a whole lot to do.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Christmas ..to Jan 11th....my predictions. Dates could be out by a day or so.

I just cannot stand seeing Liverpool hanging around the top. They're like a gang of youths...you move them on, or you will get bloody well robbed. I'd love to see them dropping fast.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea

Do we? Every time we seem to build up a head of steam we lose a game either in the league or Europe. Although we do keep going on 3 game winning runs but we need to cut out the losses.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's between Arsenal, City or Chelsea, with City being the standout team.

adamwest

I think we'll drop out of the top 4. Liverpool look like they're right in the mix this time around and they won't drop out that easy. They have a decent team with some great in form players and its wishful thinkiing that they'll just magically drop out after consistently playing well for 15 odd games.

I also agree with Essex Rob that it is next to impossible to cover up a 7-8 gap to four teams to win the title.

We all sound like what Liverpool fans did in the previous years. One decent win and we're back in it. We are definitely not winning the league. We need ot keep our fingers crossed that one of the current top 4 has a massive brainfart to have any semblance of a fourth placed challenge.
Some serious doom mongering going on here mate. The reality is we are 7 points off of 4th spot and 10 points off of the top. With a further 60+ points to play for i'd say that those gaps are not massive by any stretch.

Havak

Pokemon master
We've got a long way to go before we can start expecting to finish above any of the top teams. We'll know a lot more come January, if we can win every remaining game in December we'll give ourselves a chance if we can pick up points against Spurs and Chelsea. December and January are more pivotal to our season than ever. If we can go on a run of beating West Ham, Hull, Norwich, Tottenham, Swansea and avoiding defeat to Chelsea I think we'd be in the top four come February. But again, it's all ifs and buts for now, it's up to the team and manager to get the job done.

One thing I hope we sort out is the form against the top teams, as I do expect us to start being more clinical and professional against the mid-lower table sides. We have to look at this as where the Champions League places will be obtained or pissed away:

Chelsea (H) - 0-0 Draw
Liverpool (A) - 1-0 Loss
Man City (A) - 4-1 Loss
Arsenal (H) - 1-0 Win
Tottenham (A) - 2-2 Draw
Everton (H) - 0-1 Loss

We'll have to 'put all of this right' to finish in the Top 4. By this, I mean turning the defeats into wins in the return fixture if we can. Maybe we can get away with draws at Chelsea and Arsenal depending on other results and if they're still above us at the time of playing, but I really think we'll have to be winning the others to get anywhere. Four wins and two draws from the next six against those teams would still be average for the season in the grand scheme of things, but it could be enough if we do the business elsewhere.

I've said it a few times already, but my expectation is that Manchester City will eventually pull away at the top and finish on around 85-86 points. They're going to win at least 17 Home matches which is already 51 Points, they may win them all, they may lose 1-2, or draw them, but let's say they get 52 Home points. Their away form has been poor, but you have to expect that they can get 33-34 Points out of the 57 available even if they lose another.

Arsenal, I can't make my mind up on and we'll probably have to wait to see what kind of balls they have when they play Chelsea at the weekend, which will also tell us a lot about Chelsea as well. A draw would probably suit Chelsea more as it's an away game, and it might be what sends Arsenal slipping down the table for a while when they've not won in four and could have a few big players missing. Still, these teams will probably finish on around 80 points.

Liverpool and Everton keep surprising me, but I do think they'll hit bad spells where we catch up with them and that final Champions League place will be close between the three of us. I don't think Spurs have much of a chance now and will probably finish the lowest out of all the potential Top 4 contenders in question. Liverpool and Everton will get over 70 points for my money, probably closer to 75. We've got 66 points left to fight for, with our maximum total being 91 if we somehow won them all. We'll be looking at needing 17/22 games to be wins to have a realistic shout of Top 4? That's my expectation anyway. Probably only losing one or two more and picking up some draws too. 80 points is a realistic target still in my book.

It'l be interesting to see how it unfolds, so let's see if we can put a run of results together for the first time in the season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Moyes gets the right formula in terms of lineups and squad chemistry, there's no reason we can't return to playing at last year's levels - especially as Carrick and RvP return.