The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
And then a couple of weeks of Trump and the GOP calling the results fraudulent and trying to fight them. Then a couple weeks of Trump and the GOP pushing through whatever shit they can while they're still in power. And then many years of Trump posting shit on Twitter and his followers continuing to lap it all up. You just gotta hope the GOP will disown him and/or the court cases lead to jail time - but I am not sure about the former and really doubt the latter.
His Twitter account surely won't survive many days after him leaving office? They've basically stated that they won't ban him because his president haven't they?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
And then a couple of weeks of Trump and the GOP calling the results fraudulent and trying to fight them. Then a couple weeks of Trump and the GOP pushing through whatever shit they can while they're still in power. And then many years of Trump posting shit on Twitter and his followers continuing to lap it all up. You just gotta hope the GOP will disown him and/or the court cases lead to jail time - but I am not sure about the former and really doubt the latter.
You have to expect a pretty substantial reduction in Trump’s followers after he hopefully loses. I would hope that Twitter would be more quick to pull the trigger to ban him once he becomes a civilian.

Dr. StrangeHate

You have to expect a pretty substantial reduction in Trump’s followers after he hopefully loses. I would hope that Twitter would be more quick to pull the trigger to ban him once he becomes a civilian.
I am sure Trump is one of the reasons for Twitter's popularity. Banning him will likely be a bad business decision.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I am sure Trump is one of the reasons for Twitter's popularity. Banning him will likely be a bad business decision.
If they can choose businesses would want to remain neutral.

You'll lose half of the business at worst, some of the business at best by defending one side.

If i own a business I'd defo dont want to get involved as best as i can

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The United States is committed to supporting free and fair elections... other than in the United States, where we’ll employ every trick possible to subvert democracy and suppress votes.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
This is why the US is unpopular.
I actually saw a job posting here in Addis Ababa for something that looked interesting. I skipped applying though as it was some American democracy organisation or something silly like that.

GiddyUp

With the election so close, is there any actual point to it?
He maybe more dangerous as a lame duck. Don't be surprised if he goes totally off the rails between election day and inauguration day if he loses. This country needs every protection possible from these lunatics.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I know exactly how this one is going to play out: There just isn’t the basis for any sort of criminal investigation so the report is going to be incredibly light in its findings so instead we can expect to have some choice leaks which are severely lacking the context of the wider picture. A few emails here, text messages there and reports that x was with y on z date. Basically enough for Fox, Brietbart, twitter bots and the rest of the loony right to run with.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
His Twitter account surely won't survive many days after him leaving office? They've basically stated that they won't ban him because his president haven't they?
He'll probably create his own "not fake" news channel afterwards that will topple Fox.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He'll probably create his own "not fake" news channel afterwards that will topple Fox.
No way he will invest that much money & undertake the challenge of creating something. He will pair up with Sinclair or OANN where the infrastructure already exists.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'll believe the unpopular narrative once people stop clamoring to immigrate here (both legally and illegally).
People emigrate for a better life, popularity hardly comes into it. And when I mean the US, I am talking more specifically about its foreign policy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
People emigrate for a better life, popularity hardly comes into it. And when I mean the US, I am talking more specifically about its foreign policy.
Agreed - And those that come to the US for a better life (aka Capitalism) generally don't think about foreign policy when they are acting in theirs and their family's self-interest.

Dr. StrangeHate

Agreed - And those that come to the US for a better life (aka Capitalism) generally don't think about foreign policy when they are acting in theirs and their family's self-interest.
You can love the Capitalism side of it and still hate the foreign policy side of it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
A lot of them come to the US for a better life because US foreign policy has fecked up their home countries over the years. Others come to America because they are just hustlers and salespeople and America values the snake-oil salesman more than other countries.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
I'll believe the unpopular narrative once people stop clamoring to immigrate here (both legally and illegally).
What percentage of the world's population is immigrating to the US? Calculate that number and imagine that the rest hates the US. Both methods are equally unsound.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What percentage of the world's population is immigrating to the US? Calculate that number and imagine that the rest hates the US. Both methods are equally unsound.
The point being, people are still coming here in droves, which would undercut the unpopularity argument. If people suddenly stopped then, that would be a pretty good indicator that something was off.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A lot of them come to the US for a better life because US foreign policy has fecked up their home countries over the years. Others come to America because they are just hustlers and salespeople and America values the snake-oil salesman more than other countries.
They come for a better way of life - just like any other place. Most are Mexicans, followed by China and India.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Don't ex-presidents to some extent stay presidents forever though? Like, Bush or Obama might still be addressed as 'Mr. President'. So not sure Twitter will ever be able to shut down Trump by that logic. Also, Trump might just switch to Parler, which already seems popular among the US right (from what I've read), and might explode if some high-profile people like him make it their major outlet.

Abizzz

I don't understand what any of this has to do with Pompeo's musings about African democracies? (And I agree with @Adisa, it is the hypocrisy that undermines his argument).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why did you change "better life" to "better way of life"? I certainly think the former is more accurate. Way of life implies ideology, which is probably far from the minds of most.
They're one in the same - the latter is just a more common way of saying it here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Don't ex-presidents to some extent stay presidents forever though? Like, Bush or Obama might still be addressed as 'Mr. President'. So not sure Twitter will ever be able to shut down Trump by that logic. Also, Trump might just switch to Parler, which already seems popular among the US right (from what I've read), and might explode if some high-profile people like him make it their major outlet.
I think he would go to Parler or the next iteration of a right wing social media platform. I don’t think he cares where he gets followers just as long as he gets them.

Twitter could very easily boot him regardless of him being an ex-president.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know exactly how this one is going to play out: There just isn’t the basis for any sort of criminal investigation so the report is going to be incredibly light in its findings so instead we can expect to have some choice leaks which are severely lacking the context of the wider picture. A few emails here, text messages there and reports that x was with y on z date. Basically enough for Fox, Brietbart, twitter bots and the rest of the loony right to run with.
And possibly "force" a Biden presidency or Dems in congress to vote against pursuing the investigation - thereby the Rs claiming the Dems are hypocrites... And the cycle continues..

Status
Not open for further replies.