The UEFA Euro Fantasy Draft

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Beckham and Seedorf '96 were surprising omissions. Beckham in particular produced a goal a game and still wasn't picked, bar his penalty misses I have a hard time seeing how the hell that worked. Did he concede anything from his side? Nope. Well one goal came from his side and it was a very very early cross that wasn't the fault of anybody.

Watched his entire Euro and it seemed to be the case of the British Media is as hard as regular, and the penalty misses. If England doesn't win it all they're losers who underperformed. If any other team finishes second they're very proud silver medalist heroes.
I was surprised too, considered him, but went for pre-66 Chislenko. But still, there are very few better options for right wing.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
On the lash tonight, can't do write up.
Damn, then I'll submit the write up to MJJ and crw tomorrow. They can handle the match Saturday. I'll pitch in later in the evening.

@Balu Saturday, mate!
Saturday it is for you guys.

@The Stain clash of the newbies! :drool:
Thursday ok for you?
That works. Looking forward to it. :devil:
Noted.

Schedule:

Sunday: 1. Aldo vs Skizzo & Pat
Monday: 1.
Tuesday: 1.
Wednesday: 1.
Thursday: 1. The Stain vs Šjor Bepo & Physiocrat
Friday: 1. crappy vs Pedro 2. ctp vs Joga Bonito
Saturday: 1. Stobzilla vs Team EAP

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm okay all week except Thursday and the weekend. @Theon is exactly the opposite, I think :(

@crappycraperson @PedroMendez @ctp @Joga Bonito

Hate to ask you guys, but is there a chance for any of you to move the game?
If nothing else works we can play the 3 games on Friday. But I really think it'll hurt the games. Fewer people will participate in the discussion, because it's a lot to read and to talk about. Especially because it's a theme where we have lesser known players and very specific stories to tell. And it would fall on the same day as @Joga Bonito 's 'extended' write-ups ;). Now that I think of it, Joga's games should always be played on a separate day so that everyone has the time to appreciate his work. (It's not a joke by the way, I for one love reading his walls of text).

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Balu put us down for Thursday provisionally
Does @Paolo Di Canio know of that? Or is it just a suggestion?

Schedule:

Wednesday: 1.
Thursday: 1. The Stain vs Šjor Bepo & Physiocrat 2. Raees & Gio vs Paolo Di Canio
Friday: 1. crappy vs Pedro 2. ctp vs Joga Bonito

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito Wednesday or Friday would work best for me. How about you?
Since it looks like both crappy-Pedro and harms-Theon might not be able to have the match on any other day other than Friday, I don't mind having our match on Wednesday if you are still fine with it @ctp .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Since it looks like both crappy-Pedro and harms-Theon might not be able to have the match on any other day other than Friday, I don't mind having our match on Wednesday if you are still fine with it @ctp .
That's very nice of you.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Schedule:

Wednesday: 1. ctp vs Joga Bonito
Thursday: 1. The Stain vs Šjor Bepo & Physiocrat 2. Raees & Gio vs Paolo Di Canio
Friday: 1. crappy vs Pedro 2. Theon & NM vs harms

The italic ones still need confirmation from one party.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
would you be okay with saturday? THe problem is, that I have a big work thing on thursday and it would be very hard to find time for anything before thats done.
No need to change it anymore, unless you really can't play on Friday?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Schedule:

Wednesday: 1. ctp vs Joga Bonito 2. Raees & Gio vs Paolo Di Canio
Thursday: 1. The Stain vs Šjor Bepo & Physiocrat 2.
Friday: 1. crappy vs Pedro 2. Theon & NM vs harms

Only big red123 vs The Red Viper left.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I just saw that our big red123 is banned. Did @Stobzilla provoke him into doing something really silly? :lol:.

Not really sure what to do now. I guess, if he's banned for good, @The Red Viper gets a pass to the next round.

Annahnomoss

I just saw that our big red123 is banned. Did @Stobzilla provoke him into doing something really silly? :lol:.

Not really sure what to do now. I guess, if he's banned for good, @The Red Viper gets a pass to the next round.
I can take over his team for the round. You can let TRV get a free pass to the next round. In my opinion TRV should get the decision whether he wants to play it or go straight into the next round.

IMO it should always be the managers decision whether or not he accepts that some random person comes in and takes over the team.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I can take over his team for the round. You can let TRV get a free pass to the next round. In my opinion TRV should get the decision whether he wants to play it or go straight into the next round.

IMO it should always be the managers decision whether or not he accepts that some random person comes in and takes over the team.
Yeah, fair enough. I'm not a big fan of these games, but if @The Red Viper wants to play, you've got the job.

Does anyone know if he's banned for good or only got a temp ban ? Can I ask someone about that? /edit. I'm talking about big red123 's ban of course.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Btw how did Raimundo Orsi not get picked?

Other notable omissions include Tichy Lajos, Karl Koller, Luis Fernandez, Ashley Cole, Albertini and De Rossi. You could very well add Voller and Raul to the list as well. Tbf, the exclusion of most of these players are understandable but Orsi not getting picked seems weird esp with the scarcity of top class wingers in this draft, unless I'm missing something here.
On Raul, he has a relatively poor record at the Euros. Didn't feature in 1996 (although he probably should have), missed the last-minute penalty that knocked Spain out in 2000, his team under-achieved in 2004, and he was out of the picture by the time the Euro 2008 generation came along.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Beckham and Seedorf '96 were surprising omissions. Beckham in particular produced a goal a game and still wasn't picked, bar his penalty misses I have a hard time seeing how the hell that worked. Did he concede anything from his side? Nope. Well one goal came from his side and it was a very very early cross that wasn't the fault of anybody.

Watched his entire Euro and it seemed to be the case of the British Media is as hard as regular, and the penalty misses. If England doesn't win it all they're losers who underperformed. If any other team finishes second they're very proud silver medalist heroes.
I can't remember Seedorf doing that much in 1996. Agree on Beckham though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Players on my list who were unlucky not to get the call:

Ziege/Zhirkov - excellent at Euro 96/08
Seitaridis - best full-back at Euro 2004
Maniche - one who suffered from not having a good enough reputation despite some match-winning performances in 2004
Orsi - already mentioned, but has to be one of the outstanding left-wingers in the pool
Deak - his goal record throughout his career and in the Dr Gero is fantastic
Arshavin - same as Maniche really, or Brolin earlier.

Glad to see Senna, McManaman and Eilts recognised towards the death there.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
On Raul, he has a relatively poor record at the Euros. Didn't feature in 1996 (although he probably should have), missed the last-minute penalty that knocked Spain out in 2000, his team under-achieved in 2004, and he was out of the picture by the time the Euro 2008 generation came along.
Thought he was alright in 2000 but yeah, he is not a striking omission or anything as there are plenty of forwards, who showed more than him in the Euros, lying around.

Orsi was the one which surprised me tbh. Thought he would have been a top 3-4 pick myself as he is pre 68, won 2 CEICs, was probably the best winger/outside of his era and is amongst the top 4-5 LWs in this draft.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I can't remember Seedorf doing that much in 1996. Agree on Beckham though.
Can only speak of the Euro 96 game v England but he was the most influential dutch player in that side and arguably the only one who showed up. Gascoigne shat on all of them but Seedorf was central to all of Netherland's good moves and always was looking to control the game on his own.