Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The missus just started the upgrade. RT mode runs like shit and isn't actual RT either. Stick to performance.
Yeah, I would say this though. Performance still looks amazing but the ray tracing is very poor. Disappointed by that.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So far it looks decent enough, but there's definitely stuttering. Especially when opening/closing menus and text popping in, and around scene switching in cutscenes. It's not keeping 60fps smooth on PS5 that's for sure. Geralt's running animation whilst tracking is still as hilarious as ever though, proper stomping :lol:

I would load it up on PC to check out the higher RT levels, but I just can't force myself to deal with the mediocre gameplay aspects again even if I did love the story/setting. They could have at least sorted the levelling system out :(

Shark

@NotShark
As if the game coudn't get anymore stunning. Amazing that they've actually added PC favourite mods also :drool:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
For console folks, is there anyone who actually picks the 30fps + ray-tracing over the 60fps option that is in lots of games? Ray-tracing just isn't worth playing 30fps, in my opinion.

Flipped back and forth between them in Control ultimate edition. One has buttery smooth 60fps and gorgeous graphics and the other has gorgeous graphics and glass reflections. Whoop-dee-doo.

Fully Fledged

For console folks, is there anyone who actually picks the 30fps + ray-tracing over the 60fps option that is in lots of games? Ray-tracing just isn't worth playing 30fps, in my opinion.

Flipped back and forth between them in Control ultimate edition. One has buttery smooth 60fps and gorgeous graphics and the other has gorgeous graphics and glass reflections. Whoop-dee-doo.
If it's instant I might turn to 30 to look at the vista now and again but turn back to 60 before I start moving.

Shark

@NotShark
My poor pc cries looking at that. Upgrade needed!
Yeah say it's insanely demanding with the upgrade. That was taken on the SX in performance mode. Unfortunately I've only a gaming laptop at the moment until I get a new PC.

Irwin99

Have played this game lots of times and still struggle to make a choice in dialogue sometimes. Can vaguely remember some of the consequences.

Hoof the ball

What a difference adding the RT quick signs has made. You'd call it a small quality of life change, but it has a huge impact on combat. Previously, I'd seldomly use signs with my sword-dominant playthrough, mostly due to the pause element of selecting a sign, but now I'm using signs non-stop along with sword play. It's added an increased flow to combat.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Booted it up yesterday. I'm in love all over again. Unbelievable game :drool:

saik

Performance mode feels glorious, the rt not so much. Can't wait to play this once I'm finished rdr2
Yeah. I'm playing it on PS5 and RT feels choppy whereas performance mode is glorious like you said. I don't think that minor visual upgrade with RT is worth it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. I'm playing it on PS5 and RT feels choppy whereas performance mode is glorious like you said. I don't think that minor visual upgrade with RT is worth it.
I’ve seen reviews saying the same thing. Performance mode is the default thankfully. Played an hour tonight on the Series X. Looks unbelievable.

Rake

Is possible to upgrade mid game?
It is, but the older saves will no longer be accessible, at least on PC, probably the same goes for PS5.

Game is looking great but certainly needs 2-3 patches to iron things out. As others have stated, RT runs terribly, if it doesn't crash the game. Without RT, even on unlimited frames, it hardly runs over 70ish fsp and that is with GPU utilization of around 60%. Overall, I'd download the patch to check it out but certainly wait until the next patch for a solid playthrough.

Thinking about starting it over and making choices I'd never normally make :) Also, can't wait to see what the modders come up with this time around.

Simbo

I'm halfway through a replay on the PC I'll probably get back to over crimbo. Will I be able to carry on with this update or it need a new start?

Irwin99

Kind of wanted to let the werewolf kill the woman, especially as i'm on death march and it would have meant no extra battle with the werewolf but I let her live. Love this quest.

I'm enjoying using the potions a lot more and i'm thinking of making an alchemy build.

Shark

@NotShark
I can't help but just keep taking photos that look like medieval paintings. Game is absolutely gorgeous on the consoles now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I forget but is it possible to feck both Triss and Yen (and get one of them rather than being alone at the end) or do I have to choose which?

saik

I forget but is it possible to feck both Triss and Yen (and get one of them rather than being alone at the end) or do I have to choose which?
As far as I remember, if you screw with both, they both leave you and Ciri visits your house at the end. Corvo Bianco I think? In Touissant.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There are so many impressively reviewed games out at the moment...and yet playing imo one of the GOATs feels like a better use of very limited time.

For example, I bought and barely played Cyberpunk, but I'm much more tempted by firing this up again rather than finishing that, despite putting in >100 hours into the original version.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
There are so many impressively reviewed games out at the moment...and yet playing imo one of the GOATs feels like a better use of very limited time.

For example, I bought and barely played Cyberpunk, but I'm much more tempted by firing this up again rather than finishing that, despite putting in >100 hours into the original version.
Same I need to delete the ps4 version and download the ps5 version which is the only thing stopping me for now. I'm hoping to avoid it until new year when I have a couple weeks off though.

saik

Haven't tried it myself but that is surely subject to what game ending you get in the base game.
Yeah, I think that is if you get the ending where she lives. If she dies and you screw both Yen and Triss, I think Dandelion visits you.

It's all a bit complicated. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As far as I remember, if you screw with both, they both leave you and Ciri visits your house at the end. Corvo Bianco I think? In Touissant.
Yeah, I think that is if you get the ending where she lives. If she dies and you screw both Yen and Triss, I think Dandelion visits you.

It's all a bit complicated. :lol:
thanks

when I did it before I fecked both and had the ending where I was alone. I’d like to have an ending where I get with Yen as I think that’s the most sensible choice for Geralt.

Rake

thanks

when I did it before I fecked both and had the ending where I was alone. I’d like to have an ending where I get with Yen as I think that’s the most sensible choice for Geralt.
Just don't say I love you to the one you don't want to end up with. If you say it to both of them, then both love stories are closed and Dendilion or Ciri will visit you in your manor. You can spend the night with Yen on Skelige without affecting the story afterwards. Also, you can safely romance all other available characters since they do not have effect on the story.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
if not you're banging every character you can in the game in the first playthrough then you're doing it all wrong.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just don't say I love you to the one you don't want to end up with. If you say it to both of them, then both love stories are closed and Dendilion or Ciri will visit you in your mannor. You can spend the night with Yen on Skelige without affecting the story afterwards. Also, you can safely romance all other available characters since they do not have effect on the story.
Class, cheers! :)

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Imagine this is your first foray into the Witcher 3. Oh how I envy thee.

I've completed it umpteen (I've literally lost count) times on PS4/PC so I'll give it a miss.

Rake

Class, cheers! :)
Happy hunting :)

I noticed multiple reports that DLSS 2.5 improves multiple stability and performance related aspects, at least to some extent (game ships with 2.4).

You can download 2.5 here. Just paste the file in the \bin\x64_dx12 folder. Haven't tested it myself yet, so can't verify if it actually improves anything.

Last edited:

Irwin99

The Bloody Baron story is still one of the best quests in gaming history. So many memorable scenes/events/different outcomes.

Irwin99

I was literally about to come in and post the same thing. :lol:
It is brilliant

I think you can get a pass to Oxenfurt without going back to the baron and I wonder if that has any bearing on the quest other than minor dialogue?