Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

saik

It's so fun to play! I actively seek out NPCs to play Gwent with.
I feel a part of me is empty after completing the 'Collect Em All' quest. I need to get to Touissant quick for more Gwent.:lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I feel a part of me is empty after completing the 'Collect Em All' quest. I need to get to Touissant quick for more Gwent.:lol:
I heard there's missable cards which makes me terrified I won't be able to finish that quest.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's still quite glitchy as well. It wouldn't let me dive in water at one point the other day.
True, I still have that glitch where you go to the inventory and Geralts head is fecked up still, but at least these are fairly quick and fixable things. The levelling and water stuff is something that would take a sizeable update and I'm surprised they didn't work on that side of things.

On the gwent front I regret not playing it more at the start of this playthrough and completing the failed quest I have to do with it! I have enough cards now to play every deck though so that's cool.

Played for a couple hours and didn't love it, does it take a while to get going?
I think it depends how you play it. If you're someone that skips cutscenes and dialogue in games then it will be pretty hard to get into.

Bobade

I've started playing this for the first time because I couldn't get on with Elden Ring (not enough character interaction and story, wasn't what I expected, my own fault). The combat is pretty poor, as I expected, but it does the job.

I feel like I'm missing out at the moment on the crafting and oils etc. I never seem to have any of the components required. I'm at the Bloody Baron quest and have done most of this I think. What should I be focusing on as a beginner, in terms of upgrades/crafting/levelling, any tips?

saik

I heard there's missable cards which makes me terrified I won't be able to finish that quest.
Oh yea, some of them are tied in to quests and you will miss them.

Like there's a small Gwent competition held at miss Vegelbud's residence when you go to the party with Triss. If you don't take part in it and win you will miss those cards.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh yea, some of them are tied in to quests and you will miss them.

Like there's a small Gwent competition held at miss Vegelbud's residence when you go to the party with Triss. If you don't take part in it and win you will miss those cards.
Yeah I won that one. Also did a quest for Zoltan where I picked the cards as my reward so I think I've got most of the mission ones. Going to do the tournament at the Passiflora soon I think.

saik

I've started playing this for the first time because I couldn't get on with Elden Ring (not enough character interaction and story, wasn't what I expected, my own fault). The combat is pretty poor, as I expected, but it does the job.

I feel like I'm missing out at the moment on the crafting and oils etc. I never seem to have any of the components required. I'm at the Bloody Baron quest and have done most of this I think. What should I be focusing on as a beginner, in terms of upgrades/crafting/levelling, any tips?
Quen and Inshallah. :lol:

On a more serious note, crafting any gear other than Witcher gear is pretty pointless. You'll have some scavenger hunt side quests to obtain diagrams for the Witcher gear. You'll need a lot of gold to upgrade them to grandmaster level( which is when you get those set bonuses).

In terms of the oils and potions, I never bothered with them in my 1st playthrough as i just Quen and Inshallah'd it. But, I'd suggest read up the bestiary and see which potions and oils are effective against which monsters. Just pick up whatever ingredients you can find while exploring. Most if not all of them are used for alchemy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Quen and Inshallah. :lol:

On a more serious note, crafting any gear other than Witcher gear is pretty pointless. You'll have some scavenger hunt side quests to obtain diagrams for the Witcher gear. You'll need a lot of gold to upgrade them to grandmaster level( which is when you get those set bonuses).

In terms of the oils and potions, I never bothered with them in my 1st playthrough as i just Quen and Inshallah'd it. But, I'd suggest read up the bestiary and see which potions and oils are effective against which monsters. Just pick up whatever ingredients you can find while exploring. Most if not all of them are used for alchemy.
To add to this, once you've crafted something you never need to again. It will automatically refill when you meditate as long as you have alcohol in your inventory.

saik

Yeah I won that one. Also did a quest for Zoltan where I picked the cards as my reward so I think I've got most of the mission ones. Going to do the tournament at the Passiflora soon I think.
Just read this the other day, but seems like you can refuse the cards and take coin from Zoltan during that quest and be still able to obtain those cards later on when you go to save Margarita.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Played for a couple hours and didn't love it, does it take a while to get going?
Maybe its not everyones type of game but id agree that the beginning of the game is a slog but once the world really opens up and you fall upon all sorts of quality sidequests i think its the best game ever especially including the 2 superb dlc's. Its a game with a lot of dialogue though which tends to be well written but if you're looking for something that is all action this probably isnt it evrn though it has a ton of combat.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m doing the serial killer quest in Novigrad and I’m running to an important location in a rush and I bump into Hattori who is waiting to start another completely unrelated quest. It triggers a cut scene and he’s like “shall we go? Time is of the essence” and Geralt just stands there and I select “need a minute” and run off to try and solve this murder :lol: bad timing mate.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Finished tonight. Think I got a pretty perfect ending to the game aside from failing a few side quests (one gwent and two that bugged out). Will probably come back and do a death March run at the end of the year to get that trophy along with completing all the gwent stuff. Have never played the expansions before so looking forward to getting stuck into them!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I didn’t realise blood and wine was so big. It’s a game in itself!

Irwin99

It's one of my all time favourite games (top 5 easily) but i had exactly the same experience up until the Bloody Baron quest and then everything just started to click. I'd say play it until you finish that questline and see how you feel.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's one of my all time favourite games (top 5 easily) but i had exactly the same experience up until the Bloody Baron quest and then everything just started to click. I'd say play it until you finish that questline and see how you feel.
Will do, trying to find that big bird thing in the village to kill still.

Widow

I've played over 2000 hours over the years! Safe to say it's my all time favourite game. DLC's included.

I've recently bought the parts for a new gaming pc and the thought of jumping back into TW3 is the motivation I needed to get it built this weekend.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I didn’t realise blood and wine was so big. It’s a game in itself!
One of the greatest expansions of all time. Both of them are.

CDPR really did an amazing job with this game and the DLC package was so fairly priced too

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One of the greatest expansions of all time. Both of them are.

CDPR really did an amazing job with this game and the DLC package was so fairly priced too
The other one was decent but this is a whole new level of dlc!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yea, HoS is what I would call as DLC but BaW is like a whole new game altogether. :lol:

There's so much content in BaW it's amazing.
Yeah. It gives me confidence that they’ll get cyberpunk right, especially with that dlc.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One thing I’ve read online is that the Gwent tournament is a pain in the arse with you having to use the skellige deck? How bad is it?

SoCross

In my first play, I focused heavily on a signs build but second time around, using more of the potions etc. I’m enjoying it more than the signs - just upgraded axii and of course quen!

Feels more Witcher like to gulp down stuff than spam signs.

What build are you making your way towards?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Finally finished this and both expansions. What a fecking game. Blood and wine was incredible too. :drool:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished the main story. Think I got the good ending.

I also got every question mark on the maps. My brain wouldn’t let me leave them. The amount of Smuggler’s Cache’s in the waters around Skellige nearly made me off myself though.

Starting Hearts of Stone now. So much content :lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
At last! After 3 - 4 attempts I’ve finally got it! Thought I’d never quite understand the fuss but I do now.

Had a few extended sessions now and completely hooked … to the point I felt pissed off about having to come into work today. I’m thinking about booking a day off to get properly stuck in.

Not done too much so far, still in White Orchard but there’s so much to do and see. I rushed headlong to the griffin the first few times but this time I’m working up to it. Much better.

I still don’t like the controls and the feel of the combat but as others have said, that’s not what it’s about I guess. The best open world games invite you to explore and this is great for that.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
At last! After 3 - 4 attempts I’ve finally got it! Thought I’d never quite understand the fuss but I do now.

Had a few extended sessions now and completely hooked … to the point I felt pissed off about having to come into work today. I’m thinking about booking a day off to get properly stuck in.

Not done too much so far, still in White Orchard but there’s so much to do and see. I rushed headlong to the griffin the first few times but this time I’m working up to it. Much better.

I still don’t like the controls and the feel of the combat but as others have said, that’s not what it’s about I guess. The best open world games invite you to explore and this is great for that.
You have like the best gaming experience ever to look forward to. You're barely 1% into the full game dlc included.

SoCross

Winds howling.

Have fun!

Eriku

Let’s hope so dude. Pissed off that I have to go out after work tonight and can’t go home and get stuck in.
Feeling that way about a game is the best! :lol:

Just got going on a fresh playthrough, myself. Easier knowing what I know, it took a few goes to get into it for me too the first playthrough. The first area is bleak af!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Feeling that way about a game is the best! :lol:

Just got going on a fresh playthrough, myself. Easier knowing what I know, it took a few goes to get into it for me too the first playthrough. The first area is bleak af!
Velen is absolutely horrendous to go back to after Toussaint.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finished it. All the expansions and everything on the map. Think I got the bad ending to Blood & Wine but still really enjoyed it. Such a good example of well done DLC. Overall such a brilliant game.