Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It's a good game so he won't enjoy it anyway.

Cina

I thought the second game had very average and dull combat underneath the pretty exterior. I hope this is better.

Alock1

I might be the only person who enjoyed the combat of Witcher 2.

Ainu

That's hands down the best trailer I've ever seen. I've seen every bit of footage so far and this still blew me away. This will destroy every other game out there, I simply can't see it any other way.

It's been stated plenty of times that the combat is very different from The Witcher 2, so I wouldn't worry about it. These guys have shown a great willingness to learn from their mistakes and improve in the past, so I trust them to fix it.

Castia

Rarely does a game trailer blow me away but that looks amazing, best looking game this year imo.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Looks absolutely great. I still need to get into Dragon Age properly before I play it I feel because I haven't done DA justice yet but I will definitely be buying this at launch. Feels like the sort of game I could easily sink 80-100 hours into.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Looking forward to this. Need to go back and play Witcher 2 first as I can't remember anything that happened in it. It had a really good story and the choices seemed to have a major impact on your play through I think.

I dont understand the DLC thing. It's nice that its all free but it just looks like they've taken stuff out the game so they can say they are giving out free DLC. You would think most of it will have already been made by now (especially with the delay) so what's the point in releasing it over months when people will have probably finished the game by then. I hate all this hairstyle/clothing/armour DLC that every game seems to be doing...just put it in the main game!

Also I hope the game/story keeps some direction with it being open world. Looks like everyone is trying to go after the Skyrim model now.

Alock1

What makes you think they've taken stuff out of the game? Based on what?

The amount of content seemingly on offer here for the base game is huge! I only really think like this when a game seems lacking from the start (Destiny).

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I have hyped this up in my head that much that It can only dissapoint. My own fault really. What do people think the combat will be like?

Alock1

I have hyped this up in my head that much that It can only dissapoint. My own fault really. What do people think the combat will be like?
I was watching some videos earlier (loads of youtubers have put up footage today) and it looks the same as Witcher 2 if you've played it.

Lots of rolling, timing your hits and laying traps down.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I was watching some videos earlier (loads of youtubers have put up footage today) and it looks the same as Witcher 2 if you've played it.

I haven't sadly. Is this a good or bad thing in your eyes?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
What makes you think they've taken stuff out of the game? Based on what?

The amount of content seemingly on offer here for the base game is huge! I only really think like this when a game seems lacking from the start (Destiny).
I just meant like they have probably developed all this hair/armour stuff so why not just include it in the game when it comes out? Like what benefit does it have coming out a month later? Seems a bit pointless

@BigDunc9 I haven't watched any gameplay videos but I really hope the combat is better than Witcher 2. It was pretty average in that regard.

justboy68

The combat in Witcher 2 wasn't so bad. Quen was just a ridiculously overpowered ability however. If quen spam wasn't so rampant and things were a bit more balanced it would have been pretty good. Sure rolling around non stop makes Geralt look like a raging lunatic but it made encounters reasonably fun at least. I can't wait for Witcher 3 to come out but as Dunc says it is vulnerable to being over-hyped.

Alock1

I haven't sadly. Is this a good or bad thing in your eyes?
I liked the combat in Witcher 2. Taking certain potions before a fight depending on the enemy type, using different magic against different styles of combat and then having to time your roll and when you hit is my sort of thing. I actually remember recommending the game to people with combat as a 'plus' but a lot of people find it clunky and awkward it seems.

Art Vandelay

Which videos did you watch?

From the ones I saw not many people seemed to be using the new pirouette move, they all seemed to stick to rolling like in TW2. I loved how wherever the last sword swing ended is where the stance ends up, it looks like it has a better flow to it. They seemed to be playing awkwardly, Angry Joe seemed to keep accidentally pausing the game, going to the map icon, doing nothing and then unpausing.

The weather effects looked immense and the video with the boat getting broken then letting water in was great. There was a nice TW2 Easter egg on one of the notice boards too.

Apparently there is console footage to come later in the week.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Not ALL dlc is free. There is an expension pack version on psn that's more expensive. Supposedly are giant dlcs worth 30 hours of extra gameplay :rolleyes:

Ainu

Why the rolling eyes at the end? If true (and if there's one dev who's earned our benefit of doubt, it's them), that's simply like back in the day when you could buy expansions for Diablo and Age of Empires for the equivalent of +-£20. That would be a fair price in my opinion.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Why the rolling eyes at the end? If true (and if there's one dev who's earned our benefit of doubt, it's them), that's simply like back in the day when you could buy expansions for Diablo and Ago of Empires for the equivalent of +-£20. That would be a fair price in my opinion.
Agree.

Leg-End

CD Projekt have been quite open about the dlc from Day 1, it's worth reading up the facts before jumping to conclusions.

Alock1

Not ALL dlc is free. There is an expension pack version on psn that's more expensive. Supposedly are giant dlcs worth 30 hours of extra gameplay :rolleyes:
Which makes it ok. No? I don't have an issue with a team doing extra work and content for a game post release. It's when a game lacks content and it seems as if parts have been taken from the game in order to sell them later as DLC. So long as the main game is well worth the RRP then I haven't an issue with it.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Expansion pack DLC with that many hours of content is the good kind of DLC. Much better than what bioware are doing with Dragon Age inquisition where they are making short crappy and expensive DLC.

Revan

Assumptionman
Which makes it ok. No? I don't have an issue with a team doing extra work and content for a game post release. It's when a game lacks content and it seems as if parts have been taken from the game in order to sell them later as DLC. So long as the main game is well worth the RRP then I haven't an issue with it.
The best example of that was Mass Effect 3. It was so clear that Day 1 DLC was just contents that they had cut from the game.

Still, I think that there shouldn't be a Day 1 DLC. If the DLC is ready for the first day, then it should be part of the game. The entire idea was that you make DLC (expansions) to expand the game and to make people return to the game after they finish it. But if the DLC is ready for the first day, then just put it on the game.

Ainu

The best example of that was Mass Effect 3. It was so clear that Day 1 DLC was just contents that they had cut from the game.

Still, I think that there shouldn't be a Day 1 DLC. If the DLC is ready for the first day, then it should be part of the game. The entire idea was that you make DLC (expansions) to expand the game and to make people return to the game after they finish it. But if the DLC is ready for the first day, then just put it on the game.
I really don't mind that if it's free, in which case you can think of it as a day one patch rather than DLC. Getting something ready on release day is not the same as getting something ready when the game goes gold. It buys the dev some more time. I absolutely detest the idea of day one DLC you have to pay for though.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Just read that the reviews for this will come out a week before release. Not something you see often these days!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yep. I was always against DLC for this very reason, and at the time got a few pelters for suggesting what would happen.

If they are genuine expansions and not content held back, then I have absolutely no problem with it. Mario Kart's DLC is a prime example of how it should be done.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Highly recommend you guys give this a watch. Danny O'Dwyer is easily one of the best gaming journalists right now IMO.

Cina

Yeah Danny is the absolute man. The Point is top notch.

Alock1

I'm not much for Gamespot but he's great when he's on Bombcast. Watched those videos when they released, really good.