Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah Danny is the absolute man. The Point is top notch.
It really is. It's shame there aren't many gaming journalists out there like Danny though.

I'm not much for Gamespot but he's great when he's on Bombcast. Watched those videos when they released, really good.
I stopped visiting Gamespot after the whole Jeff Gerstmann BS, but they're pretty good now. I watch a lot of their stuff tbh.

PlayerOne

A user on Reddit did a recap of the last two games:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost upon us. In order to prepare, either as a refresher course or a crash course if you haven't played the games (since this is the first time the series is on Playstation), here's the story thus far. The two videos are roughly 10-15 minutes each (or you can read the summary for each game that I wrote up).

TL;DW:

Prologue - Kaer Morhen - Geralt of Rivia awakens, lost, with amnesia. Fellow witchers bring you back to the witcher stronghold Kaer Morhen. A group of bandits called the Salamandra attack the fortress, with two leaders, Azar Javed and the Professor, successfully stealing the mutagenic potions that genetically alter witchers to give them their abilities.

Chapter I – Outskirts of Vizima - Geralt and his lover, the sorceress Triss Merigold, head to Vizima, the capital of Temeria, ruled by King Foltest, in search of info on the Salamandra. On the outskirts he comes across a magically gifted child (aka: a "source") named Alvin who prophecises the world being destroyed. You also learn of an ongoing conflict between the Scoia'tael (rogue elves) and the Order of the Flaming Rose, a military group tasked with protecting Temeria.

Chapter II – the Temple Quarter - Geralt continues to hunt the Salamandra, and once again comes across Azar Javed and the Professor, but they knock him unconscious and escape.

Chapter III – the Trade Quarter - You eventually meet Princess Adda, one of Foltest's daughters. When she was younger Geralt saved her from a curse that turned her into a monster. You uncover evidence that she's now working with the Salamandra. Geralt comes across Azar Javed and the Professor once again, and manages to kill the Professor. After the battle Adda tries to have you arrested to hide her secret. Triss teleports you away from the situation.

Chapter IV – Lakeside - You take care of Alvin for a bit, and give him an amulet that helps him control his unpredictable powers. The conflict between the Order of the Flaming Rose and the Scoia'tael eventually make their way to your location across the lake from Vizima. During a conflict, Alvin gets scared and teleports himself away, but is not seen again.

Chapter V – Old Vizima - Civil war erupts between the Order and Scoia'tael, with the local non-humans joining the Scoia'tael. King Foltest tells you Princess Adda's curse is back, and asks you to help. After dealing with it (by either curing or killing Adda), King Foltest helps you locate Azar Javed. You eventually kill him, but learn that the Grand Master of the Order, Jacques de Aldersberg, was working with the Salamandra.

Epilogue - During a fight with Jacques, he teleports you both into a possible future that resembles the destroyed world prophecised earlier. Geralt learns that Jacques wanted the witcher mutagenic potions to create a race of super-human guardians to protect humanity from the potential destroyed future. After defeating Jacques, you find that he has the same amulet that Geralt gave Alvin earlier, although it seems worn by age, hinting that when Alvin disappeared he teleported himself back in time and grew up to become Jacques de Aldersberg.

Ending Cutscene - Geralt stops an assassination attempt on King Foltest, and finds that the dead assassin is actually another witcher.

TL;DW:

Prologue - Temeria - The game begins with Geralt in a Temerian prison for the assassination of King Foltest. During an interrogation by Vernon Roche, the commander of the Blue Stripes (Temerian special forces), Geralt tells him that he witnessed Foltest's assassination at the hands of another witcher, who escaped with the help of the Scoia'tael. Roche believes you, and helps you escape with Triss Merigold to the river city of Flotsam.

Chapter I - Flotsam - After arriving, Geralt, Triss, and Roche are attacked by Iorveth, the leader of the Scoia'tael, but manage to escape. Upon arriving, Geralt agrees to help kill a giant monster disrupting the town's trade routes. With the help of the sorceress Sile de Tansarville, Geralt manages to kill the monster. You learn the assassin, Letho, has turned against the Scoia'tael and has kidnapped Triss. At this point you can side with Iorveth or Roche, which drastically changes the next chapter.

Chapter II (Iorveth) - Vergen - A battle breaks out between rebels and King Henselt of Kaedwen, and a curse is unleashed on the battlefield. The group manages to escape to the city of Vergen with the rebels thanks to the sorceress Philippa Eilhart. Philippa tells Geralt that Triss is being held by members of the kingdom of Nilfgaard who are working with Henselt. Geralt heads to the Nilfgaard camp but is taken captive. Roche helps Geralt, but the ambassador escapes with Triss. Geralt manages to break the battlefield curse. Henselt's army attacks Vergen, but is held off by Geralt, the Scoia'tael, and the rebel leader Saskia, who is actually a dragon taking human form, and is currently under mind control by Philippa. They all head to Loc Muinne for a summit of royal leaders.

Chapter II (Roche) - Kaedwen Camp - A battle breaks out between rebels and King Henselt of Kaedwen, and a curse is unleashed on the battlefield. The group manages to escape to the Kaedweni camp with Henselt where many in the camp are conspiring against Henselt because of his allegiance with Nilfgaard. Geralt learns that Triss is being held by Nilfgaard, but they escape. Geralt helps break the curse, which Henselt tells Geralt came from a witch he burned at the stake. Geralt saves Henselt from 2 witcher assassins, and learns that both Sile de Tansarville and Philippa Eilhart are working with the assassins. King Henselt kills Roche's Blue Stripes after learning that Roche helped spread the rumors about Henselt conspiring with Nilfgaard. Henselt defeats the rebels, and you can allow Roche to either kill or spare King Henselt. Geralt and Roche head to Loc Muinne to locate Sile, Philippa, and Letho.

Chapter III (Iorveth) - Loc Muinne - Geralt and Iorveth find Philippa imprisoned. You can either go rescue Triss or help Philippa escape and she will give you a dagger than can break the mind control she put on Saskia. During the meeting of leaders, it's revealed that Sile, Philippa, and the other mages put Saskia under mind control to use her dragon abilities so they re-establish the mage Conclave and hired Letho and the other assassins to kill the kings and weaken the countries. After tracking Sile and learning that Letho has betrayed her, the dragon attacks, which you can kill or use the dagger (if you got it) to break the mind control on Saskia.

Chapter III (Roche) - Loc Muinne - Geralt and Roche learn that King Foltest's kids were kidnapped and one died in the process (no mention of Adda from the first game). You can either go rescue Triss or Anais, Foltest's daughter. Anais is then either returned to Temeria or given to King Radovid of Redania for protection. After tracking Sile and learning that Letho has betrayed her, the dragon attacks, which you can kill or leave critically wounded (in Roche's path, you never learn the dragon is Saskia).

Epilogue - If you chose to rescue Triss, the mage Conclave is re-established. If you didn't, Letho blames the assassinations on the sorceresses and a witch hunt begins, and Triss gets rescued by Letho. Letho tells Geralt that they used to be allies. He also reveals that all of this was a plot of the Nilfgaard Emperor to de-stabilize the region through assassinations, in preparation for an invasion, which Letho agreed to in return for his Witcher School to be rebuilt. Geralt regains some of his lost memory, and remembers that he and his lover, the sorceress Yennefer, had nearly been killed long ago before being saved by Geralt's adopted daughter Ciri, who is a source, much like Alvin in the first game. The Wild Hunt, a group of spectral wraiths, appeared and abducted Yennefer because they wanted her power, with Geralt and Letho in pursuit. Geralt exchanged himself for Yennefer, leaving Letho to care for Yennefer. Geralt later escaped The Wild Hunt and showed up near death with no memory, which is where the first game began. Letho tells Geralt that Yennefer is now being held in Nilfgaard.

Ending Cutscene - Nilfgaard has begun their invasion into the north, moving quickly and destroying villages in their way.

Leg-End

I see now this has leaked in a few places it's catching some shit for downgraded visuals.

Leg-End

:lol: Will any game ever live up to the hype?

Anyway, wheres the best place to pre-order this from for PS4?
From the small amount I've seen it's not like a huge downgrade watch_dogs style, it's just the usual E3 bullshots that the finished game can't live up to........so like most games really.

I haven't pre-ordered yet either, might just pick it up from one of the supermarkets if there aren't any decent deals about. Best I've seen is £41.95 from gamecollection though (assuming you want the console version).

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It looks stunning, so whatever.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Some noticeable differences tbh, however, I generally don't stand around and look at the views and stuff like some people do so will probably never really notice it.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Tried to avoid looking at any footage for the game but it looks good from the little I've seen. Big differences in the screenshot above though.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Pretty good price for a digital copy. Usually it's a bit pricey ordering from the PS store.
Yeah it's actually cheaper than a lot of older games :houllier: Battlefield and COD are both £54.99, Fifa £59.99 :lol: Dying Light & the crew are both £54.99 too.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Yeah it's actually cheaper than a lot of older games :houllier: Battlefield and COD are both £54.99, Fifa £59.99 :lol: Dying Light & the crew are both £54.99 too.
Considering that EA wanted to stop used games...I don't know why they go out and put digital games on the store for such ridiculous prices. £60 for fifa?! :lol:

JackXX

Doesn't surprise me it's been downgraded. I remember being totally stunned by the early trailers. Not so much with the newer ones. Still looks pretty amazing though. Can't wait to play it hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
The downgrade irritates me as a PC user. It's ridiculous that the LOD and texture are limited to the same as the PS4/X1.

Still, I enjoyed Witcher 2, and I bought Witcher 3 for under £30 so I guess I can't moan too much.

Oo0AahCantona

andy tate vine describing my feeling towards any potential downgrade. Too excited to finish my last 3 assignments so i can spend a week playing this.

PlayerOne

Almost every game is downgraded these days. It got to a stage where I pretty much expect it, not sure why people are surprised. The story and gameplay look great and that's the most important thing for me.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Almost every game is downgraded these days. It got to a stage where I pretty much expect it, not sure why people are surprised. The story and gameplay look great and that's the most important thing for me.
Gameplay in the Witcher games is anything other than great (unless they've made huge leaps from Witcher 2, which it doesn't look like they have).

Story is solid, though.

PlayerOne

Gameplay in the Witcher games is anything other than great (unless they've made huge leaps from Witcher 2, which it doesn't look like they have).

Story is solid, though.
That's why I said it looks great. I enjoyed the gameplay in the Witcher 2 though...

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
It was okay, in my opinion. Dark Souls came out the same year, so kinda hard for any game to stand up to that in terms of melee combat.

Cina

The combat in The Witcher 2 was dreadful, so bad that it made it difficult for me to keep going, and I skipped quite a lot of side quests and such as a result. I really hope they've sorted it for the third game.

it's a shame they've downgraded it, I was thinking of getting a new GFX card for it, but now it feels like there's no point and I should just get the PS4 version instead (and no doubt the combat is probably better with a controller anyway, like most games these days).

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Where has the PC Gaming thread gone? Or was it in the newbs?

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Don't think there was a ever a PC thread. I made this thread because we didn't have one.
This thread is specific to a game. I was thinking of the general pc gaming thread. Think it was in newbs though, some guy used to suggest pc build for everyone.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Only a week to go, hopefully they will deliver pre-orders in Poland a day early but I'm not too hopeful, will probably have to wait until Tuesday before I can get it. I haven't played any of the previous ones but apparently it will be easy to approach for a newcomer.

PlayerOne

When is this out? I currently don't have a TV so need to sort that for this obviously
May 19th!

Only a week to go, hopefully they will deliver pre-orders in Poland a day early but I'm not too hopeful, will probably have to wait until Tuesday before I can get it. I haven't played any of the previous ones but apparently it will be easy to approach for a newcomer.
How big is the game in Poland?

Revan

Assumptionman
Why? Polish traitor!

Kaos

The combat in The Witcher 2 was dreadful, so bad that it made it difficult for me to keep going, and I skipped quite a lot of side quests and such as a result. I really hope they've sorted it for the third game.

it's a shame they've downgraded it, I was thinking of getting a new GFX card for it, but now it feels like there's no point and I should just get the PS4 version instead (and no doubt the combat is probably better with a controller anyway, like most games these days).
FWIW, I'm in the same boat.

PC master race gamer, but I'm picking this up on PS4. I'll hold up on the GFX upgrade for something like Star Citizen, which is like a decade away.

Sarni

Why? Polish traitor!
I didn't have Xbox 360 for most of the previous generation and I've not played PC game since 2001, FM aside. I'm not much into fantasy books although I believe Witcher's rated as one of the best, it's different with games though where I can just explore the world. I had tons of fun with Skyrim and I liked Dragon Age Inquisition during very short time with it (I keep rescheduling proper session because of the lack of time, I prefer to play Witcher first now).

Sarni

May 19th!

How big is the game in Poland?
It's absolutely huge, it's probably our biggest export product and I think it has a great chance to be in top 10 (even top 5) best selling games of this year across all platforms which is mental considering CD Projekt were a relatively small company mere 10 years ago and it used to be very difficult to keep the best programists in Poland (large disparity in salaries).

walsh

The PC version will still look (considerably) better than the console version. Don't worry about it not looking good enough, it will still tax high end graphics cards and will look excellent in general.

People need to understand that devs use 'vertical slices' of games when initially revealing them, it's not rare or sneaky for the final product to look slightly lesser in quality. They need it to actually run on people's systems...

Revan

Assumptionman
It's absolutely huge, it's probably our biggest export product and I think it has a great chance to be in top 10 (even top 5) best selling games of this year across all platforms which is mental considering CD Projekt were a relatively small company mere 10 years ago and it used to be very difficult to keep the best programists in Poland (large disparity in salaries).
Well, if they can really sell millions (and the game be in top 5 - top 10) then I guess that they'll be able to pay programmers/designers as good as other companies which are in other countries.

Cina

Well, if they can really sell millions (and the game be in top 5 - top 10) then I guess that they'll be able to pay programmers/designers as good as other companies which are in other countries.
They won't pay them what they earn by moving to Dublin, that's for certain.

Cina