Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It was OK, 6.5/10 for me but closer to a six than a seven. Hopefully, it will get better next season.

Imho, this was one of Alik Sakharov's poorest works. What i got from his cinematography was a "dark fairytale" vibe which i didn't like and i don't think it suits the Witcher story well either.

The other issue is the bad acting. There's lots of it throughout the series. And when you decide not to take your time and delve into the characters and the continent's lore but progress the story arcs by using tense scenes of crucial moments only, you need good actors to make these scenes count.

OohAahMartial

I've finished this, and all my other Netflix Series, any one got any suggestions for what I could watch next? Particularly like Fantasy stuff.

b82REZ

I take back what I said about the production values. That dragon in episode 6 is ridiculously bad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah just another okay (6/10) from me too. Some good moments and scenes but I felt like it could have been so much better. Not a patch on the inital reviews it got and doesn't even begin to match GOT.

Sylar

I think people trying to compare it with GoT are always going to come off as disappointed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The show has definitely highlighted the double standards when it comes to perving over characters. Case in point; my missus recommended the show to her sister by saying "you'll like Henry Cavill" but suddenly I'm the asshole because I turned to her son and said "aye, and you'll like Yen because her tits are fantastic and she would get feckin pumped". Pah.

ArjenIsM3

The show has definitely highlighted the double standards when it comes to perving over characters. Case in point; my missus recommended the show to her sister by saying "you'll like Henry Cavill" but suddenly I'm the asshole because I turned to her son and said "aye, and you'll like Yen because her tits are fantastic and she would get feckin pumped". Pah.
:lol:

Really enjoyed this show, right up my street. Excellent stuff.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Finished this in two days. I liked it. Not really a fan of the chronological order the episodes were shown in. I know that the book was like that but the book was also a bunch of short stories strung together with a small piece of main plot.

Why wasn't the doppler made to drink the water before being allowed entrance to the dryads home turf? They specifically just told the two kids that they'd have to do it to prove good intentions but the mysterious adult who's unarmed gets a free pass?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think people trying to compare it with GoT are always going to come off as disappointed.
Qft. Other than the quasi medieval setting - there really aren't many similarities between the two. In some ways GoT is more comparable to other period dramas - especially in its earlier seasons. Having said that - I have a feeling the second season of the Witcher will be way better due to the way the story will be more cohesive and I assume a bigger budget as well.

The Witcher can easily overtake GoT for me as a whole though if they properly bring it to a conclusion and not leave me with a bitter after taste. S8 was just way too disappointing.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I'm gonna watch it again. I thought it was brilliant. Made me desperate to get the third game.

Andersons Dietician

The Witcher can easily overtake GoT for me
That’s a massive ask when you consider what a global phenomenon GOT became. I do think the Witcher has the story to be big, but it might be a bit fantasy heavy for the masses.

I hope it does well, gets huge investment and they can see it through because there are things I really want to see happen or story arcs from some of the groundwork they put in in this first season come to fruition.

Nothing will be worse for me if they ignore these things they’ve set up for later down the line and decide it’s not a crucial part of the story or whatever.

mu4c_20le

That’s a massive ask when you consider what a global phenomenon GOT became. I do think the Witcher has the story to be big, but it might be a bit fantasy heavy for the masses.
Well, he did say 'for him' :p and as much as I enjoyed The Witcher, it has some ways to go to reach GOT heights, mostly because sword and sorcery doesn't appeal to the masses as much as political and family drama. The first season of Witcher was basically a prologue, the next ones will be much more straight forward without jumping around timelines, but it will still be mostly focused on Geralt's adventures and monster hunting than politics. And say what you want about D&D, the last season was rushed and underwhelming but it doesn't take away the previous 7 seasons of brilliant writing and directing.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well, he did say 'for him' :p and as much as I enjoyed The Witcher, it has some ways to go to reach GOT heights, mostly because sword and sorcery doesn't appeal to the masses as much as political and family drama. The first season of Witcher was basically a prologue, the next ones will be much more straight forward without jumping around timelines, but it will still be mostly focused on Geralt's adventures and monster hunting than politics. And say what you want about D&D, the last season was rushed and underwhelming but it doesn't take away the previous 7 seasons of brilliant writing and directing.
You lost all credibility including season 7 of GoT as brilliant, FYI.

As well as thinking this will turn into just a Geralt 'monster of the week' thing. Not that that would be a terrible thing, really.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
On to episode 4 now. It's a level below the highest quality series for me. Some of the acting feels a bit Hollyoaks at times and the casting seems weird if we're going off the game. It's not like they're so perfect for the role other than looks that it can be forgiven. I'm thinking Triss especially so far. Yen too really.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
On to episode 4 now. It's a level below the highest quality series for me. Some of the acting feels a bit Hollyoaks at times and the casting seems weird if we're going off the game. It's not like they're so perfect for the role other than looks that it can be forgiven. I'm thinking Triss especially so far. Yen too really.
It's a book adaptation. You have to put aside anything game related.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's a book adaptation. You have to put aside anything game related.
Fair. Although Geralt looks and speaks exactly the same and Dandelion/Jaskier is the same actor. From what I've heard book Geralt is pretty low in the muscle department too. Seems like a bit of a cross between the book and the game. Can at least see why it'd be compared if they've not gone the whole distance to not be related to the game.

Siorac

Fair. Although Geralt looks and speaks exactly the same and Dandelion/Jaskier is the same actor. From what I've heard book Geralt is pretty low in the muscle department too. Seems like a bit of a cross between the book and the game. Can at least see why it'd be compared if they've not gone the whole distance to not be related to the game.
? No he isn't. He's voiced by Tim Beckmann and John Schwab in the games and played by Joey Batey in the series.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Two episodes to go am still enjoying it. Just taking it for what it is I've not read the books and it's a pleasant enough way to spend an hour.

Have they confirmed further series?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Two episodes to go am still enjoying it. Just taking it for what it is I've not read the books and it's a pleasant enough way to spend an hour.

Yes, a new series was signed off before the first even released.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

They’ve changed how they count views so it’s hard to say for certain, but supposedly it’s the biggest thing on Netflix aside from Stranger Things.

Expect them to pump enormous amounts of resources into it.

Andersons Dietician

I saw they had the first season 2 production meeting today. I also read somewhere that instead of series format they might change it to a movie format.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
They’ve changed how they count views so it’s hard to say for certain, but supposedly it’s the biggest thing on Netflix aside from Stranger Things.

Expect them to pump enormous amounts of resources into it.
I would pump enormous amounts of resources into Yennifer. Maybe all I've got left.

evil_geko

Also more important news:

Fans were spamming Lauren and Mark Hamill himself for Vesemir role for a year now, would love this to happen!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Both of those things need to happen. Especially the latter.

Not quoting because I think it should be a surprise if it does happen for those not following this stuff.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tormund is a bit wasted as Nivellen, he was born a Skelligan! that was probably my favourite short story though, it should be awesome.