Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Witcher 3 is in my top 3 games of all time and I thought the first season was fine but Season 2...dunno. It just doesn't keep me interested. I can't tell exactly why - Cavill is pretty much spot on as Geralt and the rest of the cast is great.

I think the balance between political intrigue and small story of a witcher protecting a girl while doing his job isn't balanced well enough. In the game you were always focussed on the latter, with the former being kind of in the background rumbling along. But I think the show is trying to do a GoT at the same time as a Witcher story. I know the books flesh it all out, but the mix isn't working for me.

Finally:
So Vessimer allows Geralt to bring in this random girl, but then isn't the least bit upset when she's basically responsible for culling off all but 3 of the entire 'family'? I realise he does have a go at ending it, but still, I would have thought Geralt was getting banished!

stepic

Anyone else find Jaskier incredibly annoying? He’s kind of a pointless character, but also just isn’t as charismatic as the character needs to be for me.

overall it was decent. Not a patch on early GOT though

Sigma

Just binge watched the first two seasons over the last few days. My summary of it is that I think is fairly entertaining but the writing is pretty bad.

Some of my thoughts on the writing: things happen way to fast, the world building is weak, lots of instances of deus ex machina, plot armour is very strong for the main characters and hence don't feel like they are ever in danger, story points are very predictable and the pacing is all over the place.

By the way I haven't read the books or played the games.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought the first episode was great and then the rest was really average just like the first season.

actually at least the first season had bewbs, so that wins for me.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
1st episode was promising but the rest of the season was such a letdown. The amount of source material they have to work with yet they write an original script, or like, 90% original.

Just stick to the the fecking source material!!!!!!

Tyrion

Finally:
So Vessimer allows Geralt to bring in this random girl, but then isn't the least bit upset when she's basically responsible for culling off all but 3 of the entire 'family'? I realise he does have a go at ending it, but still, I would have thought Geralt was getting banished!
Afaik, Vessemir helps raise Ciri in the books so she's basically a granddaughter to him. But you're right, as far as show Vessemir is concerned, this 18 year old girl killed 3 of his last remaining family. He should be pissed because he's known her all of 5 minutes and he isn't responsible for her.

Anyone else find Jaskier incredibly annoying? He’s kind of a pointless character, but also just isn’t as charismatic as the character needs to be for me.

overall it was decent. Not a patch on early GOT though
I actually really like him. Him and Geralt are my favourite relationship. :lol:

I thought the first episode was great and then the rest was really average just like the first season.

actually at least the first season had bewbs, so that wins for me.
I agree. The first episode was best. It avoided the more ridiculous and boring political stuff (I dont give a f**k about Fringilla and the elf, they're both awful), had an interesting character (Nivellen) and had a surprising mystery.

I'm fine with changing things from the source material. The Boys is a show based on a comic book and it's made a few changes that are actually really good. The problem is that the Witcher books seem to be better written than the Witcher show is, in which case not sticking to the source material seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
5-8…er, maybe 7 (not sure about the final fight - Vesemir making a half-assed stab attempt then apologizing for it later :lol: ) is a good run of episodes if you skip the elves & Fringilla scenes. I love the side characters of Nenneke and the cute older bookstore couple, but I’ve decided Fringilla is the worst casting of the main characters.

It does still suffer from poor writing though. “Where are my swords?” Yeah, where the feck are your swords when you use Ciri as bait without them but then have them in the very next scene? And then you show you have no idea what you’re doing with the Wild Hunt. Cool storytelling, yo…

Zen86

Disappointed with the second season. The plot seems to bounce all over the place and lacks a proper structure. The lack of introduction to new characters and locations is quite frustrating also. That said, most of the peripheral characters are pretty forgettable.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really enjoyed the second season, it was much easier to follow than the previous ones. Not sure I care about the greater political landscape with the whole elves etc. But when it is focused on Geralt/Ciri/Yen it is really good. Ideally they push the politics further into the background, and focus more on the individuals going into the third season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I thought it was really good and it’s definitely one of my favourite series in recent years. Personally I think I preferred season 1, even if it was hard to follow at times. My biggest gripe in season two was the portrayal of the Witcher’s. They just didn’t come over very funny/likeable and they came over better in the video games. Still can’t wait for season 3.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I actually really like him. Him and Geralt are my favourite relationship. :lol:
My favourite bit of the season was when he was at the docks.

"Am I gonna say it? Yeeeeaaaaah I'm gonna say it."

Doracle

I enjoyed it but felt like a half season really, with it mainly been about getting the main pieces where they need to be for season 3. I liked the character progression but probably needed a bit more to actually happen to be a strong series.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"Drunk" Yen right before that was fun too. That whole sequence was pretty good.
Is it just me or is she more attractive this season?

Before anyone says "omg that's sexist you wouldn't say that about a man" you're absolutely right. Except if it was Henry Cavill because you don't have to like men to think he'd get pumped rotten.

But I'm wondering if she's more "appealing" because she is more charismatic and layered as a character this season. Anya Chalotra has really nailed the character this season and made her feel more "real". She's a talented actor.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Before anyone says "omg that's sexist you wouldn't say that about a man" you're absolutely right. Except if it was Henry Cavill because you don't have to like men to think he'd get pumped rotten.

But I'm wondering if she's more "appealing" because she is more charismatic and layered as a character this season. Anya Chalotra has really nailed the character this season and made her feel more "real". She's a talented actor.
I would agree and I would say it is due to Anya growing in confidence with her role. Confident women are sexy. Agree Yen is more layered this season and that helps.

My wife, like yours, is basically watching it along with me for dear Henry, so I guess we are all sexist.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I would agree and I would say it is due to Anya growing in confidence with her role. Confident women are sexy. Agree Yen is more layered this season and that helps.

My wife, like yours, is basically watching it along with me for dear Henry, so I guess we are all sexist.
Yeah, it's definitely an equal opportunities show when it comes to eye candy.

Bobski

She definitely is, think it may have to do with her hair styling, pulled back and gathered high, for me at least seems to suit her better than long and loose. Second part also a factor, she may not be book Yen, but shes plays this version well.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished it. Was good but do feel it’s lacking something. Every scene with the elves and their shit I was bored. It doesn’t make me care about the characters outside of Geralt, Ciri and Yen.

Simbo

She definately grew into the role more this season, she is talented, although I still think mis-cast. She was more attractive because of better hair/make-up, us blokes are easily fooled!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
She definately grew into the role more this season, she is talented, although I still think mis-cast. She was more attractive because of better hair/make-up, us blokes are easily fooled!
Why do you think she was mis-cast?

Simbo

Why do you think she was mis-cast?
Needs a more mature character, she's a 100+ year old all powerful mage who has through hell and seen it all. Anya comes across as too young and I don't mean because of her looks. It's difficult because they do need a young look but that shouldn't have been the priority.

Eva Green was touted by fans as the perfect fit to play her mainly for her personality, she could pull off the utter disdain for anyone and anything around her than Yennefer has.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Needs a more mature character, she's a 100+ year old all powerful mage who has through hell and seen it all. Anya comes across as too young and I don't mean because of her looks. It's difficult because they do need a young look but that shouldn't have been the priority.

Eva Green was touted by fans as the perfect fit to play her mainly for her personality, she could pull off the utter disdain for anyone and anything around her than Yennefer has.
Imagine if we had Eva for Yenn and Mark Hamill for Vesemir…:drool:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Gerlat, Ciri and Yenn when they're together are the strongest aspects of the show. I enjoyed season 2 even with its huge flaws. I hope season 3 focuses mainly on them as a trio, I think the show would benefit a lot from their chemistry (Jaskier too).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
People just have some weird fetish with thinking Eva Green was the perfect fit. Might aswell have cast Aubrey Plaza.

Simbo

People just have some weird fetish with thinking Eva Green was the perfect fit. Might aswell have cast Aubrey Plaza.
Its not a weird fetish, she's just the most popular name that fits the mould, Kate beckinsale is another. I don't necessarily mean that those people should have done it in particular, that's just the type of actress that should have done it, I'm sure there's a thousand similar girls out there in the acting pool.

Having said that, fair play to Anya, she definately grew into the role more in S2.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Its not a weird fetish, she's just the most popular name that fits the mould, Kate beckinsale is another. I don't necessarily mean that those people should have done it in particular, that's just the type of actress that should have done it, I'm sure there's a thousand similar girls out there in the acting pool.

Having said that, fair play to Anya, she definately grew into the role more in S2.
Thank you for the previous post, it help me understand where you were coming from. I do agree that they felt the need to go young with the actress and I think it is the right call as Geralt describes her as looking around 20 in the books. I would suggest though that more than a little bit of the "blame" around the way Anya is portraying Yen is down to the way the TV character has been written. To be clear I think she is doing a phenomenal job with the role and would change nothing. I have fully embraced that the TV show is going to be telling a different version of Geralt/Ciri/Yen/Triss/etc.'s story and that has made this so much more enjoyable. Just forget the books and watch it with fresh eyes :cool:.

mu4c_20le

Sorry but I was watching season 1 again recently (excellent btw, more adventurey feel than s02) and basically reinforced my old opinion that she looked and acted too young. Zero chemistry between her and Geralt, felt like the latter was fooling around with his best mates daughter at times. Def starting to grow into her role now though.

Bobski

Did both seasons peak in their first episode?

Having a little rewatch this weekend and I found myself loving Season 1, Episode 1, knowing the time jumps makes it easier to follow. I had forgotten just how much they packed in, Ciri in Cintra with the invasion is strong but the Blavikan-Renfri stuff is just fantastic, actress playing Renfri is super impressive, probably has no more than 10 mins of screen time but kills it, and the ending is still the best fight scene in the show.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I mostly enjoyed it, but as others have said, I got very bored by the background politics. (Boy do they seem to have overestimated how much we’d care about the fecking eleves) but I thought the last couple of eps were really bad, save for a pretty entertaining dinosaur fight… just a messy cacophony of new concepts and world building just vomited onto the screen which I’m sure was very interesting for Book/game people, but I felt it was really poorly conveyed and I just didn’t care about any of it…

It starts in earnest at the end of episode 7, where this otherwise very well made show suddenly becomes really bad presentationally from the second Gerald turns up on a small badly lit hill with a seemingly teleported cart full of dwarves and has a terribly edited fight sequence for some reason, and then stands about on a green screen whilst all the Baba Yaga house shit happens and the show really poorly communicates what’s going on for about 20 minutes… then it’s some other shit, then dinosaurs, then the power of love yadayayada …and then some Dr Who nonsense to wrap it up. Kind of unfortunate as I’d been quite enjoying it up to ep 5/6.

Anyway, I liked new Jaskier song. That’s a thing now. Will probably watch the 3rd season, but it’ll probably sit on my Watchlist for a lot longer this time.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really enjoyed season 2.

Few observations
  • I thought the duo of Fringilla and Cahir were excellent this season and every scene with them was a good watch. Both are good actors.
  • We need more Dikstra! He doesn't look much like game Disktra but he was fantastic. Again, needs more prominence. So much screen presence.
  • Finally we get to see Emhyr. Im probably blinded by the game but how will they transition this mild actor into the imposing emperor ?! That seems like it'll be hard to do.

Drifter

American
Really enjoyed this season. Season 1 was good, but this is a definite improvement, looking forward to season three.

RedDevilRoshi

Finished S2 today. Thought it was not bad, don’t think it’s as good as S1. 1st episode was the best one imo.

Didn’t expect Emperor Emhyr to be unveiled as Ciri’s father.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

It's just a shame. Had so much potential with Henry and if the third season won't be quiet good, the fans won't give him a fair chance.