There is absolutely no justification in calling for Mourinho's head

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I would agree, there is no justification for calling for his firing - it's an infantile reaction to the table

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Conte’s position seems to be fully absolved after this HOME WIN against United.

When Conte was without Kante for a month, all you heard every week was how important Kante was too them. We did very well for the first 3 or 4 games without Pogba, but why is it suddenly forgotten that Jose is without his two best players from last season and has been for so long? A squad is a squad, but take Messi away from Barca for two months, or see Real madrid’s start without Ronaldo etc etc, when you are without your game changers for that long, there comes a point where you have to accept that the bloke can’t ask for much more.

I’m not trying to look for excuses, but a lot of weight was given to chelsea in the absence of Kante. Why isn’t it the same regarding Poggers?

Oooh_aaah_cantona

Mou isn’t the best anymore. But he is arguably our safest choice now. We aren’t going to blaze the league, but he would for sure finish top 4.

Revaulx

Top 4 would be a good season? Disagree. Maybe 4 years ago it would have been.
Top 4 plus a decent run in the CL (which I’m still confident of, bizarrely) is a definite step forward. The quality of the football though...

I would ban anyone who takes the time to post that Mourinho should be sacked. Not because they aren't entitled to an opinion, but because they are wasting everyone's time and making us look like idiots.

Fully Fledged

4 league games in between the 2 international breaks for a grand total of 4 points with a goal difference of -1.

I don't think we should be calling for his head but let's not pretend that everything in the garden is rosy.

Revaulx

If we finish outside the top four again and without any other obvious signs of progress, then I’d be loathe to give him another. And I wouldn’t be sad to see the back of him. At all.

But yeah, talk of sacking him right now is crazy. Obviously.
Absolutely! I’ll be so bold as to suggest that this sums up the majority view.

Top 4 should never be the target.
We should always be looking to challenge for the title. No team can win it every year, but a challenge should be the target. It's City's amazing form that is the difference this season. It doesn't look like anyone will challenge them. In fact the league looks done already.

Fully Fledged

We should always be looking to challenge for the title. No team can win it every year, but a challenge should be the target. It's City's amazing form that is the difference this season. It doesn't look like anyone will challenge them. In fact the league looks done already.
I'm not on about winning it but we must challenge.

wolvored

I think he might walk anyway end of the season if we don' win anything. If we do I can see him doing his usual 3 years.

MrBest

Any other season, 23 points from 33 with a goal diff of 18 would have been brilliant. Our best midfielder out injured our cover midfielder has just returned. We have played most of the top 6 and it's only November. Yes city will walk the league this year bit 2nd or 3rd is very realistic as Chelsea spurs Liverpool and arsenal are as no better. This year has been peps best start to a season, ever. This time last year and the year before we were in a far worse position. 7 wins from 11 is not that bad.

Any other season, 23 points from 33 with a goal diff of 18 would have been brilliant. Our best midfielder out injured our cover midfielder has just returned. We have played most of the top 6 and it's only November. Yes city will walk the league this year bit 2nd or 3rd is very realistic as Chelsea spurs Liverpool and arsenal are as no better. This year has been peps best start to a season, ever. This time last year and the year before we were in a far worse position. 7 wins from 11 is not that bad.
Agreed. Under normal circumstances it would be a decent, though not brilliant, start. This year, however, City are running away with it, which makes it look worse. Losing it Chelsea is par for the course in recent years, but the Huddersfield defeat was really bad.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think with the blistering start of the season, quite a few people were getting very giddy, and seriously considering whether United would win the Premier League or even the Champions League..!!!

Laughable really, and the reality check has been hard to take.
City, Chelsea & Spurs are much better teams than United, and realistically this season, cementing a top 4 finish and a decent stand in Europe would be a significant season for us.
That would then enable Jose to attract better players next summer, to improve us again.

The heady days when United dominated English football are past, and they are not coming back, other clubs have advanced far too much for that to ever be possible.
United will be champions again, one day, but we still have a long, long way to go before we are genuinely the best team in the league.

Fully Fledged

It's the run we are on in the league that's the worry 4 points from a possible 12 with a goal difference of -1 just doesn't cut it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The only truly bad result we've had all season was the loss at Huddersfield. Other than that, drawing at Stoke was not the end of the world and getting a point at Liverpool is a good result. Losing to Chelsea hurt but we almost always lose there and when you are away at another top 6 team, you can kind of expect a struggle. So basically, losing to Huddersfield is really the only result that has truly set us back.

We've done well in Champions League and we've mostly played good football with our full team available. We've had our struggles over the last month but I don't think there is any serious reason to panic. Going for fourth manager in five years would be overkill IMO, especially as there's no one available that would have the potential to improve us.

I think we will win Champions League or get to the final.

It's the run we are on in the league that's the worry 4 points from a possible 12 with a goal difference of -1 just doesn't cut it.
The Huddersfield loss was appalling; the draw at Anfield a good point. We beat Spurs, which is no easy task; we always lose at Chelsea. Up and down really. Newcastle (H), Brighton (H) and Watford (A) should be nine points, then it's a huge game away at Arsenal.

Scarlet Spider

The issue is that playing this tumescent football that is absolutely dire to watch is only justifiable when you are top of the league. When you are 8 points behind and it isn't even Christmas then people are entitled to ask what's going on. I hope Mourinho turns it around and we win everything in sight but I don't want to watch football this bad unless we are winning or at least challenging for the title. 8 points behind is a huge gap with just about a third of the season gone. Finishing second in a one-horse race is no kind of achievement.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The issue is that playing this tumescent football that is absolutely dire to watch is only justifiable when you are top of the league. When you are 8 points behind and it isn't even Christmas then people are entitled to ask what's going on. I hope Mourinho turns it around and we win everything in sight but I don't want to watch football this bad unless we are winning or at least challenging for the title. 8 points behind is a huge gap with just about a third of the season gone. Finishing second in a one-horse race is no kind of achievement.

The football this season has been infinitely better than under LVG. Missing our most creative player in Pogba was always going to effect us. Take out Hazard from Chelsea, Sanchez from Arsenal, De Bruyne from City and even Coutinho or Mane from Liverpool and then they would be massively effected.

suhaylah

It's the kind of football that we are playing which makes things worst. Lukaku is looking like a rugby player these days, Mikhitaryan is looking like a league 1 player, Herrera looks like he wants to go to Barcelona, Rashford and Martial are good as subs only. Add to that Mourinho looks like he's an anti football manager with his tactics:o

Pejaypreston67

Calling for Jose to go s ridiculous. This team is still not 100% a Mourinho team. This will be after the summer 2018. Its going to take time but remember we won 2 trophies under Jose only last season. Yes we look well short of City currently but you win nothing in November. He will get it right need to weather the storm currently.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We're doing kind of OK. The problem is that City are currently on course for 107 points this season.
We are doing okay results wise but we are showing the problems that loads of fans have feared during summer. We are hard do beat for everyone but we also have a hard time beating and dominating good teams. When you spend that much and when you have big ambitions that's a problem, that's the type of things that isn't accepted in clubs like Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid or Barcelona and we are supposed to be their equals.

Classical Mechanic

We are doing okay results wise but we are showing the problems that loads of fans have feared during summer. We are hard do beat for everyone but we also have a hard time beating and dominating good teams. When you spend that much and when you have big ambitions that's a problem, that's the type of things that isn't accepted in clubs like Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid or Barcelona and we are supposed to be their equals.
Bayern have no competition in Germany. The Premier League is a different animal altogether. We can't offer players a cakewalk to the title every season. Barca and Real only have each other for company in that league over a sustained period of time. Is it reasonable to bin Mourinho off after eleven games? I think it is too early to crap the bed.

ZAGREB RED

As frustrating as it is just now, it's only early November and too early to panic. However, if United go into the game against City next month a good few points off the top and lose that game, then the clamour for him to go - rightly or wrongly - will intensify, among the fans at least. He isn't well liked by the media so they will probably start writing stories about his impending departure. It's a cliche, but no trophies get handed out in November.
But let's wait and see what happens in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPRouve

Scout
Bayern have no competition in Germany. The Premier League is a different animal altogether. We can't offer players a cakewalk to the title every season. Barca and Real only have each other for company in that league over a sustained period of time. Is it reasonable to bin Mourinho off after eleven games? I think it is too early to crap the bed.
I'm talking about all competitions here, not just the league. And no it's not reasonable but the way I read it most people don't want Mourinho out, they want to express the idea that we need to have higher standards. And I don't wan't Mourinho out, there is no one else that I want as a manager.

Also we have a problem on the forum at the moment, too many people from all sides are purposely being obtuse and refuse to use any sort of nuance in the way they read or express points. It's near impossible to have any sort of intelligible debate.

Fully Fledged

The Huddersfield loss was appalling; the draw at Anfield a good point. We beat Spurs, which is no easy task; we always lose at Chelsea. Up and down really. Newcastle (H), Brighton (H) and Watford (A) should be nine points, then it's a huge game away at Arsenal.
Any of the results would have been ok in isolation. The problem is when they come one after the other.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We're working off a tiny sample of games, though. I think Spurs are arguably the best side we've played this season and we fully deserved to win that game IMO.

We've definitely an issue in terms of the difference in performance/results at home vs what we produce on the road. And that issues seems to be the same whether we're playing good, bad or indifferent opposition. You could argue that this is all part of a work in process. First become hard to beat -> establish a fortress at home - > begin to dominate on the road. But the fact that City are already so much further down this path is making people impatient. That's understandable but I don't think it's helpful or rational. We just need to be a little bit more patient. The time to make long term assumptions about whether we've kicked on from last season would be at the turn of the year. Meanwhile, we just have to back the team and the manager and hope that we can go on another winning run.

JPRouve

Scout
We're working off a tiny sample of games, though. I think Spurs are arguably the best side we've played this season and we fully deserved to win that game IMO.

We've definitely an issue in terms of the difference in performance/results at home vs what we produce on the road. And that issues seems to be the same whether we're playing good, bad or indifferent opposition. You could argue that this is all part of a work in process. First become hard to beat -> establish a fortress at home - > begin to dominate on the road. But the fact that City are already so much further down this path is making people impatient. That's understandable but I don't think it's helpful or rational. We just need to be a little bit more patient. The time to make long term assumptions about whether we've kicked on from last season would be at the turn of the year. Meanwhile, we just have to back the team and the manager and hope that we can go on another winning run.
We weren't good last season either, the sample is large enough to judge the situation and point out that we need to be better, it also doesn't mean that we are not behind the team and the manager.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We weren't good last season either, the sample is large enough to judge the situation and point out that we need to be better, it also doesn't mean that we are not behind the team and the manager.
His first season in charge. Now we're onto season two of this "project", so we need to take this season on its own merits.

We started off well, beating poor teams comfortably at home (an issue last season) but we also need to see an improvement in the "big six table" to see progress. So far this hasn't happened but - as I said - based on a small sample, with two out of three fixtures at grounds where we almost never seem to get good results, even under Fergie.

SirAF

Ageist
Top 4 plus a decent run in the CL (which I’m still confident of, bizarrely) is a definite step forward. The quality of the football though...
I don't think that's bizzarre, at all. I'm actually quite confident that (bar drawing Real/Barcelona/Bayern/PSG in the first knock out round) United can go deep into the knock out phase.

JPRouve

Scout
His first season in charge. Now we're onto season two of this "project", so we need to take this season on its own merits.

We started off well, beating poor teams comfortably at home (an issue last season) but we also need to see an improvement in the "big six table" to see progress. So far this hasn't happened but - as I said - based on a small sample, with two out of three fixtures at grounds where we almost never seem to get good results, even under Fergie.
No we don't need to take this season on it's on merit, last season counts too. Also you noticed that we have the same opinion, we have to improve, there isn't much else to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.