Thiago Alcantara at Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Maybe a bit more like the Welbeck situation. We ended up having to let him go despite him obviously being a 30 goal a season striker.
Sometimes sarcasm is hard to tell on the internet.

justboy68

Silly jokes aside, I'm still gutted we didn't get Thiago. He would have been my ultimate muppet dream signing. I'd been a big fan of his from what I had seen ever since he came through at Barca. Always rated him as the best midfielder of his age group and hope he can keep the injuries behind him and really show it in the years to come.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That is the first time I've seen someone do the elastico with his first touch in a game. Crazy skills.

Boycott

I think at some point Barcelona will come back for him. His talent is unbelievable. Technically outstanding but also his speed of play is impressive. He gets the ball and his next move is instant. No dithering or harrying. I think with Pep mentoring him he can develop his skillset to go on and challenge right at the top for individual honours.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
My biggest fear isn't Pep leaving, it's that he might take Thiago with him once his contract's up...

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
His departure was our biggest screw up in recent years. After all those years at La Masia, we never compensated on his talents or even money-wise. On the other side, the sad truth is that he's still yet to play one full injury- free season. Until then, its just a bummer that one of the best talents in world football is being held back by injuries, whether at Barca or Bayern. It will be gut wrenching to see him next week in the Camp Nou :(

Annahnomoss

He's 24 already, can't believe it was 4 years ago that he won the U21 tournament with Mata being named the best player and Herrera and Thiago scored the winning goals in the final. He's such a talent, I really hope for footballs sake that he gets a good run being injury free.

Revan

Assumptionman
If he can stay injury free, then he'll be the best midfielder of our era. He is simply far more talented than the other top midfielders (Kroos, Pogba, Gundogan, Koke and Veratti). Staying injury free for him seems to be quite a challenge though, so probably he won't fullfill his true potential.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Same reason we let Pogba go, not enough playing time and sheer stupidity.
To be fair, they had Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta in midfield. We had oldies and shit players^^

I also think he could be the midfielder of his generation, his talent is amazing. But I don't think he will ever be that player because of his injuries.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he can stay injury free, then he'll be the best midfielder of our era. He is simply far more talented than the other top midfielders (Kroos, Pogba, Gundogan, Koke and Veratti). Staying injury free for him seems to be quite a challenge though, so probably he won't fullfill his true potential.
Do you mean central midfielders only?

I've barely watched Thiago, but Isco's technical ability on the ball is incredible.

Surprised you think he's more talented than caf favorite Pogba.

amolbhatia50k

My biggest fear isn't Pep leaving, it's that he might take Thiago with him once his contract's up...
I sense a slight dislike for Guardiola among bayern fans, and I don't get it. In the Dortmund game thread as well, fair few posts showing a strange amount of frustration and anger towards him.

He's a top manager. I'd rather have him anyday over a midfielder. It's not like it's Messi after all.

Revan

Assumptionman

I've barely watched Thiago, but Isco's technical ability on the ball is incredible.

I meant more for central midfielders, but even counting all type of midfielders, I think that Thiago is more talented than Isco or Rodriguez.

Pogba is great and very likely can become the best (so far he hasn't had any problem with injuries) but I think that a Thiago at his best is something else. I really think that if he can stay injury free, he can become as good - if not better - than Xavi. And Xavi is the best central midfielder I have ever seen (both from the present era or from footage of other eras). What Thiago can do with a ball is something that bar Messi, Ronaldinho or Ronaldo (fat one), O haven't seen anyone else doing (talking only for my era).

amolbhatia50k

Whoah. Okay I'll have to watch more of him then. In the very little I've seen I've not seen someone who can surpass Xavi.

Besides, Xavi's genius was more in his touch, passing and football brain. In terms of technically gifted midielders and things a midfielder "can do on the ball", shouln't the comparison be to Iniesta or Zidane (other than the ones you've mentioned)?

amolbhatia50k

Has he actually done anything yet? Or has everyone decided he's incredible because he did an elastico?
To be fair, most people are talking about talent. I don't think he's had a full season of being fit at Bayern for him to properly do something anyway.

fergieisold

To be fair, most people are talking about talent. I don't think he's had a full season of being fit at Bayern for him to properly do something anyway.
He's clearly talented, it will be interesting to see if he can get a full season without injuries. It's a bit of a shame for him that at 24 he's not really had time to develop properly.

Annahnomoss

I agree with him. Isco, Verratti and Neymar have all had great seasons and the former two has made impressive improvements to their game as well which is usually important when discussing a talent(hypothetical improvement curve). Isco and Verratti have taken the step of being "talents" to being two of the best in their position right now. Isco has had a better season than Kroos and Modric for example and Verratti has been one of PSG's stand-out performers this year.

Neymar hasn't really improved much, rather Luis Enrique realized the shortcomings that Neymar had and adjusted to it. I.e last season I was one of the few defending him, I said that Neymar would be better if he was an inside left forward and not an outside left winger who camped that spot all game for tactical reasons(width).

This year Alba and Alves are running the width for Barcelona which has freed up Neymar and Messi to play as inside forwards rather which has worked better for him. He still has the same issues as before though, Neymar can't beat his players on the outside unless he has built up pace and he is terrible at making it easy for himself by building up pace.

His decision making is also really poor, he loses the ball by running in to four-five defenders a few times more or less every game instead of just waiting for the team. His abilities look more or less exactly the same as they did two years ago, fantastic shooting, great dribbler when he's attacking with pace, very good link up play etc etc.

Pogba gets a lot of love for his dribbling but he's the 10th most dispossessed player in Europe, he loses the ball two times more than our own dribbling CM Di Maria who is considered too poor to play as a central midfielder for us.

I would have Thiago as the most talented of these, with the rest being more or less equally talented in different ways. I don't think that Thiago will overcome his injuries, even if it would be amazing to see.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Whoah. Okay I'll have to watch more of him then. In the very little I've seen I've not seen someone who can surpass Xavi.

Besides, Xavi's genius was more in his touch, passing and football brain. In terms of technically gifted midielders and things a midfielder "can do on the ball", shouln't the comparison be to Iniesta or Zidane (other than the ones you've mentioned)?
He's not comparable to Xavi as both his style and talents are different. He does adopt Xavi's composure and ball control but he's too attacking-mind with a Brazilian flair to his game. He can dribble, shoot and of course score. A bit more flashy and someone who can play in more than one position on the field.
What's most impressive however is that whenever he returns from injuries, he just picks up from where he left off.

amolbhatia50k

I agree with him. Isco, Verratti and Neymar have all had great seasons and the former two has made impressive improvements to their game as well which is usually important when discussing a talent(hypothetical improvement curve). Isco and Verratti have taken the step of being "talents" to being two of the best in their position right now. Isco has had a better season than Kroos and Modric for example and Verratti has been one of PSG's stand-out performers this year.

Neymar hasn't really improved much, rather Luis Enrique realized the shortcomings that Neymar had and adjusted to it. I.e last season I was one of the few defending him, I said that Neymar would be better if he was an inside left forward and not an outside left winger who camped that spot all game for tactical reasons(width).

This year Alba and Alves are running the width for Barcelona which has freed up Neymar and Messi to play as inside forwards rather which has worked better for him. He still has the same issues as before though, Neymar can't beat his players on the outside unless he has built up pace and he is terrible at making it easy for himself by building up pace.

His decision making is also really poor, he loses the ball by running in to four-five defenders a few times more or less every game instead of just waiting for the team. His abilities look more or less exactly the same as they did two years ago, fantastic shooting, great dribbler when he's attacking with pace, very good link up play etc etc.

Pogba gets a lot of love for his dribbling but he's the 10th most dispossessed player in Europe, he loses the ball two times more than our own dribbling CM Di Maria who is considered too poor to play as a central midfielder for us.

I would have Thiago as the most talented of these, with the rest being more or less equally talented in different ways. I don't think that Thiago will overcome his injuries, even if it would be amazing to see.
Neymar is brilliant. Although you say he hasn't improved, and I'd argue that he has given he's scoring load and setting up his team mates more too, what improvement has Thiago shown in the same time? Neymar is now firmly established as one of the best players in Europe.

Annahnomoss

Neymar is brilliant. Although you say he hasn't improved, and I'd argue that he has given he's scoring load and setting up his team mates more too, what improvement has Thiago shown in the same time? Neymar is now firmly established as one of the best players in Europe.
Thiago has been injured and not played much.

Neymar scored and set up his teammates all the time for Brazil and in Brazil, that is not something he's developed for Barcelona. His shooting has been world class for a long time which is why he's having a higher goalscoring ratio than Ronaldo for Brazil and his great run for Brazil started 2011.

He scored 42 goals in a season 2010 at club level and 43 goals 2012, so it is nothing new he's developed while playing for Barcelona. Neymar has 9 assists in total this year, he had 22 last year counting International and Club football. The year before that he had 14 for Santos/Brazil, the year before that 12.

In fact he hasn't assisted this little since 2009-10. I'd say he's assisting roughly as much as he does every year though as he has a few games to go and hopefully he can score and assist there as well.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, that's definitely a very annoying possibility. I kinda hope that Pep extends because all the injuries fecked with his plans and I can't see him leaving until the team finally gets an extended run without injuries interrupting everything he develops. If that's the case, Thiago will extend as well and then we don't have to worry too much about it all.

Revan

Assumptionman

Thiago has an excellent passing range and a perfect vision. He isn't very similar to Xavi but he plays basically on the same position. I don't think that there is a player which you can compare him with. I've read that Barca have already a replacement for Xavi, and then when I first saw him he had some similarities but so had similarities with Iniesta or Ronaldinho. Personally, I think that he is like a midfield version of Ronaldinho. If he can surpass his injuries, I think that he might go in history as those I mentioned.

But now that seems quite unlikely. He already has lost almost 2 years cause of injuries. At a time when players get their biggest improvement.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah, that's definitely a very annoying possibility. I kinda hope that Pep extends because all the injuries fecked with his plans and I can't see him leaving until the team finally gets an extended run without injuries interrupting everything he develops. If that's the case, Thiago will extend as well and then we don't have to worry too much about it all.
With Ribery, Robben, Lahm and Schweinsteiger nearing their twilight, we should just shower Thiago with money and make him and Müller the new top earners... and Götze *cough*

The lad does seem to be happy in munich (injuries aside). Lets hope for the best.

Revan

Assumptionman
With Ribery, Robben, Lahm and Schweinsteiger nearing their twilight, we should just shower Thiago with money and make him and Müller the new top earners... and Götze *cough*

The lad does seem to be happy in munich (injuries aside). Lets hope for the best.
Yep. I also think that you should have increased Kroos wage and keep him. Thiago-Kroos-Muller-Gotze-Levandovski and a defensive midfielder would have been fantastic and still quite young.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Oh god, I just remembered that Pere Guardiola is Thiago's agent.

Yep. I also think that you should have increased Kroos wage and keep him. Thiago-Kroos-Muller-Gotze-Levandovski and a defensive midfielder would have been fantastic and still quite young.
We probably should have, seeing how Alonso has declined. Then again I got the feeling that Kroos wanted to join Real regardless.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He's 24 already, can't believe it was 4 years ago that he won the U21 tournament with Mata being named the best player and Herrera and Thiago scored the winning goals in the final. He's such a talent, I really hope for footballs sake that he gets a good run being injury free.
Thiago was named best player, I won money betting on him at 20/1 so easily remembered :D

Also, agree with you and @Revan. He's the most talented midfielder of his generation, incredibly gifted on the ball and well rounded overall.

Riz

Thiago was named best player, I won money betting on him at 20/1 so easily remembered :D

Also, agree with you and @Revan. He's the most talented midfielder of his generation, incredibly gifted on the ball and well rounded overall.
No that was the 2013 tournament where Thiago won best player (summer we were chasing him). Mata did win it in 2011. Spain won both.

amolbhatia50k

Thiago has been injured and not played much.

Neymar scored and set up his teammates all the time for Brazil and in Brazil, that is not something he's developed for Barcelona. His shooting has been world class for a long time which is why he's having a higher goalscoring ratio than Ronaldo for Brazil and his great run for Brazil started 2011.

He scored 42 goals in a season 2010 at club level and 43 goals 2012, so it is nothing new he's developed while playing for Barcelona. Neymar has 9 assists in total this year, he had 22 last year counting International and Club football. The year before that he had 14 for Santos/Brazil, the year before that 12.

In fact he hasn't assisted this little since 2009-10. I'd say he's assisting roughly as much as he does every year though as he has a few games to go and hopefully he can score and assist there as well.
Yes he's doing it at a proper level now and not he shitty Brazilian league. He's actually one of the words best players unlike Thiago. I don't see how he's relevant to this discussion given he's different and a top top player now. He's hardly the one who hasn't progressed.

amolbhatia50k

He's not comparable to Xavi as both his style and talents are different. He does adopt Xavi's composure and ball control but he's too attacking-mind with a Brazilian flair to his game. He can dribble, shoot and of course score. A bit more flashy and someone who can play in more than one position on the field.
What's most impressive however is that whenever he returns from injuries, he just picks up from where he left off.
That's what I thought. That he's likely to control games but more likely to do something brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.