g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Thomas Müller

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqueakyWeasel

I'd take Muller of course. I'm just saying it's perfectly logical to "care" how much we pay for players. But, I agree, we now need a world class attacker like Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Sanchez, Silva, Aguero, Muller, Suarez, Hazard and anyone else I've missed.
Rooney (but we've already got him so I guess that's why you didn't include his name)

Skills

Snitch
This is never going to happen. We offer Bayern 140m euros - what are they going to do with it? It's not as if they can go out and use that to buy a Messi or a Ronaldo. At best they can invest it in a few players who will be significantly worse than Muller - but they already have enough money to do that. They're a fan owned club (at least a significant chunk) and make far too much money as it is - haven't they paid back their stadium debt in half the expected time?

IwatUwat

This is never going to happen. We offer Bayern 140m euros - what are they going to do with it? It's not as if they can go out and use that to buy a Messi or a Ronaldo. At best they can invest it in a few players who will be significantly worse than Muller - but they already have enough money to do that. They're a fan owned club (at least a significant chunk) and make far too much money as it is - haven't they paid back their stadium debt in half the expected time?
This.

There is zero reason they'd sell unless he wanted to come to us, and hands in a request.

Which I cant believe will happen, and if he did I'd also imagine others would want him.

SqueakyWeasel

What they did to Dortmund 3 years ago … they buy Wolfsburg silly :houllier:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
This is never going to happen. We offer Bayern 140m euros - what are they going to do with it? It's not as if they can go out and use that to buy a Messi or a Ronaldo. At best they can invest it in a few players who will be significantly worse than Muller - but they already have enough money to do that.
This!

There is simply no scenario which would make sense for Bayern to sell one of their most valuable players. Also they have more money than they can spend already.

The only possibility would be if Müller wants to leave at any costs. But i can't see that happening in near future. Schweinsteiger was a different case. Comparable to Alonso leaving Real last year. Schweini is old now, declining, was injured most of times, and not a safe starter under Guardiola anymore.

Müller will just extend his contract with a higher salary soon. Im sure about that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The club is being operated by professional and smart people, if they say we can afford it then we can afford it. Why care?
Because I think it's nonsense to pay 100mn for a player. Simple as that. If the club and you think that's fine, well, then so it be

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Erm why?.

Let alone Muller? Ffs he's probably the best player in the world. (Ignoring the big two)
Now you're going OTT. He's a very good player but there are so many others who will have something to say about that.

Well, I seem to care what we spend and on one hand I think 100mn is too much for Müller and 2nd, I wouldnt spend that kind of money on any player. 100mn ist a fecking load of money and I dont understand how people are saying it so lightly to spend that kind of amount

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Because I don't care. There's no real explanation to it. It's not my money, and it's not what interests me regarding football. The only time transfer fees are used are when people, mainly oppo fans but media too, want to ridicule a club for a player who flopped and cost a big amount. I don't really care.
Dont you care how your club spends the money then? You might have your focus on what's going on the pitch, fair enough, but there are other parts for me that are also important. On thing is how we run our club, how we treat players, if we bring up young players, if we invest in our facilities, what the club does to give the fans a great experience etc.

legball

Another pipe dream that will never happen, sometimes I wish we could come back to reality, like we did with our signings so far. I swear, we'll have more success trying to sign Lewandowski than Muller, it's more than just money, there's too much prestige, politics and PR involved for Bayern to contemplate selling Muller.

Varun

Staff
Dont you care how your club spends the money then? You might have your focus on what's going on the pitch, fair enough, but there are other parts for me that are also important. On thing is how we run our club, how we treat players, if we bring up young players, if we invest in our facilities, what the club does to give the fans a great experience etc.
If we buy any player for amount X, it's because it wasn't possible to buy him for anything less. People with a far greater idea of the club's resources and needs and who are actually involved in the negotiations make the call.

For instance, if we bought Muller for 100mil, it would be because we tried and couldn't get him for 90 and the club feels we can afford the 100mil on him.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Another pipe dream that will never happen, sometimes I wish we could come back to reality, like we did with our signings so far. I swear, we'll have more success trying to sign Lewandowski than Muller, it's more than just money, there's too much prestige, politics and PR involved for Bayern to contemplate selling Muller.
Agreed. Bayern simply wont sell Muller after selling Schweinsteiger.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If we buy any player for amount X, it's because it wasn't possible to buy him for anything less. People with a far greater idea of the club's resources and needs and who are actually involved in the negotiations make the call.

For instance, if we bought Muller for 100mil, it would be because we tried and couldn't get him for 90 and the club feels we can afford the 100mil on him.
The club has a budget and pays what they think the player is worth and what we can afford. In the end it is about to find an agreement that is right for all parties.

But that is not the point. The question is if we care how much we spend on players or not

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yep, youth development is important to me as well, of course. How much we pay our players and how much we pay to get them isn't.

Ixion

This reminds me of a little of the Fabregas transfer. We spent an entire summer going after him despite Barca insisting he wasn't for sale and Fabregas saying he was happy at Barca and it was all for nothing.

Unless the club has been given a small sign of encouragement from Bayern themselves at some point this summer this is such a waste of time.

Bogga

Müller or Griezmann... I'd jizz all over the place if we were to sign one of them. But the chance of us that happening feels like the chance to walk up to the finest girl in the bar asking her to just follow you home. There is a small possibility, but the chance of it happening will probably be measured in permille and not percentage ;)

Müller because of Bayerns comments on them selling us any more players... even if we threw 100 million their way, there's no reason for them to sell.
Griezmann on the fact that he just signed a new contract and have spoken out that he likes it in Spain

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yep, youth development is important to me as well, of course. How much we pay our players and how much we pay to get them isn't.
Fair enough. To me, financials are important and while we might overspend here and there, I wouldnt pay an excessive fee for any player

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
No offence but your opinion on a players value doesn't matter. It's quantified by a combination of brand value and performance of the field which in turn equates to revenue made through prize money and increased advertising revenues.

If we signed Muller and this squad, complied for the best part of half a billion, wages included, goes on to win the league and the UCL and perhaps an FA cup or two then it will have earned a hell of a lot of prize money and will open more and more streams of advertising revenue.
I agree, what I think on the price of a player doesn't matter. But 100€ million and more in wages is simply a bad business move either way. You actually have to win the PL, CL and the FA Cup to make up for that ridiculous amount of money. And this one player is no guarantee that you can do it. There's only one CL trophy and each year there are 4-5 good contenders for it. And in the past few years, United hasn't been one of them. I wouldn't bank on United winning it to justify outrageous bids on players.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I agree, what I think on the price of a player doesn't matter. But 100€ million and more in wages is simply a bad business move either way. You actually have to win the PL, CL and the FA Cup to make up for that ridiculous amount of money. And this one player is no guarantee that you can do it. There's only one CL trophy and each year there are 4-5 good contenders for it. And in the past few years, United hasn't been one of them. I wouldn't bank on United winning it to justify outrageous bids on players.
Well let's just go for the lower bracket of players and leave the better players and winning titles to the big teams.

Varun

Staff
The club has a budget and pays what they think the player is worth and what we can afford. In the end it is about to find an agreement that is right for all parties.

But that is not the point. The question is if we care how much we spend on players or not
I don't see it as worthy of much debate or discussion tbh when one understands why we paid what we did.

Ofcourse, if the club buys a Pedro for 70mil, it'd be quite ridiculous but those deals don't happen. Most of the time, the uproar is about the club spending 5-10mil more than the poster feels is justified, quite pointless really if the poster does agree that the player should be bought and the concern is only with the extra few Mil paid

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Well let's just go for the lower bracket of players and leave the better players and winning titles to the big teams.
Hell no. I didn't say that. But instead of going for "the unattainable dream" and creating a lot of pointless media buzz, how about MU goes for actually available players? Someone mentioned De Bruyne. If you read the stuff I see in the German press, you'd know he's a far easier target and a really good investment. And he'd probably cost half the bid you're doing for Müller.

But then, as I open up Google news, while Manchester United wastes time with fantasy bids, Manchester City just goes in and according to English press, they're closing the deal on De Bruyne these days.

Blackwidow

OK so... Let's pretend that this signing could happen. On the one hand what a signing but on the other, isn't pace an issue in our team? An issue that Muller is not going to address. Don't get me wrong I'd love him but this is a case of going with the heart or the head?
Müller is not coming.

But I guess his lack of speed keeps him from being successful internationally and especially when he faces English opponents... :cool:

I mean, it is the most important thing in football - FIFA tells us and FIFA knows best...

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
It doesn't fail to astound me that other clubs seem to chase a target and get the deal done more often than not but we don't.

2 weeks ago nobody thought city were in for Otemendi. In fact make that a week, and yet he's signed. A day ago everyone thought Chelsea had dropped their interest in Pedro yet he's signed.

Meanwhile a week or so ago we submitted a bid for Mane... Yet we've not heard back and we don't appear to be pushing it? Despite supposedly letting the Pedro deal go. Woodward just isn't proactive.

Varun

Staff
This reminds me of a little of the Fabregas transfer. We spent an entire summer going after him despite Barca insisting he wasn't for sale and Fabregas saying he was happy at Barca and it was all for nothing.

Unless the club has been given a small sign of encouragement from Bayern themselves at some point this summer this is such a waste of time.
Not once during the saga did fabregas rule out the move. It's only once him staying was confirmed that he came out with the usual "I love the club, never thought of leaving" bullocks.

Seriously, I find it quite incredible that people believe we are managed by feckwits who make bid after bid without ascertaining the player's interest in a move first.

There's a middle ground between being desperate to the extent of demanding a move and being willing to move if a deal is struck. This fact is lost on some people for whatever reason.

Godfather

Apart from not joining us. 100 million euros for the guy is ridiculous. I rate him but that's a joke. Bayern should bite our hands off for that money.

Moby

Dick
Müller is not coming.

But I guess his lack of speed keeps him from being successful internationally and especially when he faces English opponents... :cool:

I mean, it is the most important thing in football - FIFA tells us and FIFA knows best...
Not the first time you've tried to be oversmart in this thread thinking you have some sort of superior understanding of the game than others, pretty rude behaviour if I'm honest. There's a way to express disagreement.

At least try to read the other guy's post before going off on one. If one thinks having direct pace is necessary for us it's hardly outrageous to say Muller won't address that. Maybe he's some sort of demi god for you who's perfect in every sense but don't get your panties in a twist if not everyone shares that opinion. He wasn't even saying that we shouldn't sign him because he's not the quickest, but he clearly isn't and it would still leave us looking for pace and directness, which is a plain and simple fact.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I think we should stop discussing whether he'll come or not, because he definitely is, and start talking about how VG will use him here.

Will he start him behind the striker or will he play on the right where Mata is currently playing?

I would personally prefer Januzaj behind the striker for now and play Muller on the right. If Januzaj doesn't improve, then only I'll move Muller behind the striker.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think we should stop discussing whether he'll come or not, because he definitely is, and start talking about how VG will use him here.

Will he start him behind the striker or will he play on the right where Mata is currently playing?

I would personally prefer Januzaj behind the striker for now and play Muller on the right. If Januzaj doesn't improve, then only I'll move Muller behind the striker.
Van Gaal will play him in the middle, pretty sure of that. And Memphis cutting in from the left will massively benefit from Müller's movement in and around the box, dragging defenders all over the pitch. Robben did say that Müller playing central is very important for him for a reason and I guess it will be similar for Memphis.

Moby

Dick
Van Gaal will play him in the middle, pretty sure of that. And Memphis cutting in from the left will massively benefit from Müller's movement in and around the box, dragging defenders all over the pitch. Robben did say that Müller playing central is very important for him for a reason and I guess it will be similar for Memphis.
Presently I'll throw him up front, bring Herrera in and play a 4-3-3. But given Rooney is not playing like a pub footballer and trying to take things seriously then yea he'll be good behind the striker. Can also interchange when Juan wants to cut it, which he has done a fair bit so far. Once Bastian regains fitness and replaces Carrick in the current team that would be a decent outfit.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Presently I'll throw him up front, bring Herrera in and play a 4-3-3. But given Rooney is not playing like a pub footballer and trying to take things seriously then yea he'll be good behind the striker. Can also interchange when Juan wants to cut it, which he has done a fair bit so far. Once Bastian regains fitness and replaces Carrick in the current team that would be a decent outfit.
I agree, I just don't believe that van Gaal will do that. He might actually play Müller upfront with Rooney back in the number ten role though, but that sounds awful to me.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
:lol: You are coming around, bud.

You think that works with Mata on the right, or we need a player with more pace on the right? Won't Mata and Muller like to occupy the same spaces, which could be an issue.

Blackwidow

Not the first time you've tried to be oversmart in this thread thinking you have some sort of superior understanding of the game than others, pretty rude behaviour if I'm honest. There's a way to express disagreement.

At least try to read the other guy's post before going off on one. If one thinks having direct pace is necessary for us it's hardly outrageous to say Muller won't address that. Maybe he's some sort of demi god for you who's perfect in every sense but don't get your panties in a twist if not everyone shares that opinion. He wasn't even saying that we shouldn't sign him because he's not the quickest, but he clearly isn't and it would still leave us looking for pace and directness, which is a plain and simple fact.

That is from last weekend. He had 32 km/h speed - and we are at the beginning of the season.

Just one of many scenes. Speed is not Müller's problem. But he is not a Bale or Robben type. That is right. But Müller has the pace - he is not the one with the best acceleration. But - there is so many scenes when he beats his opponent and stands alone in front of the goalkeeper because of his special playing style. What Müller lacks are good 1vs1 abilities.

It is not just Depay who would benefit from him - like Robben does. It is the striker, too. I haven't seen a striker that does not work really good with him - and there has been all types of strikers he worked with in his career. The reason why we never doubted the interest from van Gaal in him is that he could be the ideal puzzle part in your system - get Rooney to function and help Depay. Mata on the right wing could be the playmaker that is additionally needed - because Müller ain't one. He might be as good or even better in assisting - but he seldom wants to have the ball for longer.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Wait, have I missed something?
Na, I am just kidding.

The thread is going around in circles.

Poster A - Let's throw 100m at Bayern.
Poster B - Will never happen. Bayern will sack Pep before they sell Muller
Bayern Fan - You guys are delusional.

Repeat, with different posters and same Bayern fans.

I thought I'll change it up a bit. ;)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
You think that's work with Mata on the right, or we need a player with more pace on the right? Won't Mata and Muller like to occupy the same spaces, which could be an issue.
I don't think Mata cutting in is a problem for Müller, but unless both fullbacks become more attacking and provide the actual width in the team, the whole set-up could become too narrow. The beauty of Ribery and Robben was that they actually did both. Despite cutting in so often, both were capable of staying wide. I don't think that's true in the same way for Mata. Still think it'll be the best set-up, Müller might have to drift wide more often than he did at Bayern under van Gaal, but he'll manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.