Thomas Tuchel confirmed as PSG's new manager

cyberman

Believe what makes you happy but the UEFA is sure as hell not neutral in this situation.

So what I extract from this is you think Tuchel's mistake was that PSG didn't go for the kill in the last chapters of the game? Well, they did, they just didn't convert their chances. And even if they didn't, is that necessarily the manager's fault?

I completely disagree by the way, it was a dumb loss of possession that killed them. They weren't mature enough. You need patience and precision to beat teams parking the bus and they could've had more of both in the second leg.
They were never ahead and lost 3-1 at home. They needed a lot more than patience ffs.
You'd think we were hanging on for our lives with posts like these. The clock posed more of a problem than PSG.
there's far too much credit being given to PSG out played by our reserve side here. They played into our young players hands and didn't have an answer.
Theres far too many butt hurt rival fans signed up to a United forum in here. How can you not give United any credit beyond parking a bus?
We didn't even defend that deep! All we did was keep a solid base against a side who thought passing around the centre circle was a good idea.
Is it a shock that people think Tuchel could do more to avoid a 3-1 defeat at home against our under 23s?

Dan600

Haven't talked to a single person outside this forum who thought that pen was rightfully given. Of course UEFA say that, they protect their referees. Anyway, there are threads for that topic, no need to discuss it here.
Yet various rules were established about VAR before the start of this round of the tournament. One of those announcements was, that regardless of natural position, ability to move in time, if arms are in a position that makes them larger, VAR officials were advised penalties should be given.

Not their fault if players don't pay attention.

Atheist

How many saves did De Gea have to make in the game? Apart from that shot from Bernat in the first half, he wasn't really troubled. They created a few openings but nothing indicating total domination that's being portrayed by some.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well you can disagree if you want, I disagree with your opinion.

The talk of parking the bus just sounds like a bitter dig after going out.

If PSG were missing 10 players and came to Old Trafford 2-0 down from the first leg I can't imagine they'd have set up to play beautiful free flowing football either.

You seem very invested in the PSG Utd tie for a supposed neutral by the way.
I assure you I'm no PSG fan. I like Tuchel and his ideas about football and am simply annoyed if managers superficially gets criticized because of things he had no influence on.

I actually like that you've gone through, it is a great story and an amazing achievement for a team that was decimated by injuries. Doesn't change that you were incredibly lucky, though, and I couldn't disagree more when some in here say United was the better team or a deserved winner.

Djemba-Djemba

I assure you I'm no PSG fan. I like Tuchel and his ideas about football and am simply annoyed if managers superficially gets criticized because of things he had no influence on.

I actually like that you've gone through, it is a great story and an amazing achievement for a team that was decimated by injuries. Doesn't change that you were incredibly lucky, though, and I couldn't disagree more when some in here say United was the better team or a deserved winner.
Are you just ignoring the fact PSG should have been down to ten men at 0-0 in the first leg?

Or is it only incredible luck if it goes for Utd?

Fridge chutney

United were "lucky" to have
  • 2 injuries to Martial and Lingard in the first half of the first leg
  • A ridiculous red card to our best player from a card happy ref
  • The winning goal at old Trafford scored by someone who shouldn't have been on the pitch
  • 10 (yes ten!) Injuries to our team which resulted in us fielding a midfield of Fred, McTominay and Diogo Dalot in Paris (as well as several reserves).
Let alone the fact that United have had to fight on all fronts with a now threadbare squad while their opponents have already won their league. Yet we were lucky that we were correctly awarded a penalty that was carefully reviewed by officials.

Some of you need to log off.

Suedesi

Zehner, I'll ask you a question about Tuchel, and hopefully you can give a coherent answer:

If Tuchel was so great and PSG so fecking superior, why were they skating on thin ice for 60 minutes of the match at 1-2, when they knew full well that another goal (fluke or otherwise) would have sent United through? PSG were playing against a midfield that has never even played in training together, and against a team full of under 23's (Dalot, Chong, Greenwood, Pereira, McTon, Pereira) why didn't this so-called Tuchelgenius make the experience, personnel, know-how count? Should he have made some moves the longer the game was edging toward the end with a very dangerous scoreline?

littleman

United were straight up the better team.

- 2 goals down
- Away from home
- 10 injuries/suspended including Pogba, Herrera, Matic, Martial, Lingard, Mata
- 2 debuts to teenagers; not out of an attempt to humiliate PSG but because there was no one left

To win under such circumstances.. never mind the 106 attempts at reversing a 2 goal deficit in an away 2nd leg. We weren't even given a reasonable chance given those injuries.

And we won. There's really no doubt here.

Canagel

PSG were lucky to escape a sending off and take a lead back in the first leg. or does the luck go only one way?
all in all United deserved to go through over the 180 minutes because they utilized their resources better. there's no circumstance in which we can send a B team out and PSG is unlucky to bottle 0-2 lead. none.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's really weird. He was defending Pochettino from Spurs fans post Arsenal match. That was quite a surreal experience.
He was defending Pochettino after we defeated them, and was clear from his posts that he was gutted that we won the match, to be fair.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The oil-laden financially doped-up state-sponsored club bottled it against an injury-ravaged United when they thought they’d cruise it. Cry me a salty fecking river

MADReaLJL

United didn't set up to defend deep in the 2nd leg. Ole instructed the midfield to push up high to counter their possession football. Then PSG started to attack from wings, which then was countered by subbing off Bailly for Dalot.

Reactions: Penna

Giggsyking

Haven't talked to a single person outside this forum who thought that pen was rightfully given. Of course UEFA say that, they protect their referees. Anyway, there are threads for that topic, no need to discuss it here.
Can you bring the rule of handball in the box please!

In the past 4 days I have listened to hours and hours of analysis of the match and the penalty. Every single referee (except Cluttenburg) said it was a pen.

Giggsyking

He didn't. Solkskjaer won two rounds with a Mercedes when Tuchel's engine freaked out. Oh and it's not like Tuchel's car was in perfect state considering two rather good footballers called Neymar and Cavani were missing. United's team was a lot closer to PSG's than Tuchel's Dortmund to Ancelotti's Bayern and the BVB still won a cup over them in that period. But let's ignore that because it doesn't fit the narrative :)

I mean, the shot that lead to the penalty was United's first in that half AFAIK and it was completely off target - so that's already extremely lucky even if you ignore that the decision was atrocious. The other two goals were gifted to United by immense mistakes Tuchel had no influence on. That's just extremely bad luck for Tuchel. There's literally nothing he could have done to avoid that.
Their goals too were gifted by our defence. Whats the point?

Giggsyking

How many saves did De Gea have to make in the game? Apart from that shot from Bernat in the first half, he wasn't really troubled. They created a few openings but nothing indicating total domination that's being portrayed by some.
even their most dangerous attack in the second half was a counter attack not from dominating the midfield.

Rajma

Tuchel is a serial bottler, that Europa League tie which they lost to Liverpool simply epitomises it, him and PSG are a perfect match.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Because Smalling was defending him pretty well. That's all. Nothing lucky in it.
Skip to 7:28, Smalling was not defending him properly until he went past De Gea. In fact, I would say that De Gea coming of his line that far was great judgement by him as it narrowed Mbappe angle. Regardless, Mbappe still slipped and it had nothing to do with Smalling defending until he went past De Gea.

Don't worry mate nobody can accuse you of wearing red tinted glasses maybe Pochettino tinted glasses.
That seems like the popular narrative a lot of poster on here likes to believe, yet the only evidence they put out is myself defending Pochettino when up against ridiculous criticism that is hard to overlook after being quoted :lol:

el3mel

Skip to 7:28, Smalling was not defending him properly until he went past De Gea. In fact, I would say that De Gea coming of his line that far was great judgement by him as it narrowed Mbappe angle. Regardless, Mbappe still slipped and it had nothing to do with Smalling defending until he went past De Gea.

That seems like the popular narrative a lot of poster on here likes to believe, yet the only evidence they put out is myself defending Pochettino when up against ridiculous criticism that is hard to overlook after being quoted :lol:
Actually the video proves that De Gea was the reason he slipped as well. He touched the ball and his interference was a big reason he lost his balance, then Smalling made his tackle and the chance was nearly killed.

Meanwhile Lukaku escaped from both Silva and Buffon without getting touched so he didn't lose his balance.

Stop trying to mak every Ole win a lucky one and remove your Spus tinted glass and you will be fine. It's hard for rival fans to say that though, I can get it.

Amadaeus

Actually the video proves that De Gea was the reason he slipped as well. He touched the ball and his interference was a big reason he lost his balance, then Smalling made his tackle and the chance was nearly killed.

Meanwhile Lukaku escaped from both Silva and Buffon without getting touched so he didn't lose his balance.

Stop trying to mak every Ole win a lucky one and remove your Spus tinted glass and you will be fine. It's hard for rival fans to say that though, I can get it.
:lol:, yet you initially claim that Smalling was the reason that Mbappe missed it then you changed your rationale that De Gea was the reason. You are all over the place and show no consistency. You say I have spurs tinted glasses, but the glasses you have on might be one of a donkey. Mbappe clearly slipped before going past De Gea and after De Gea touched it, Smalling came back to block his shot. How can you argue against something that is so clear a two year old can understand? I m not making every win lucky, but this one was lucky.

el3mel

:lol:, yet you initially claim that Smalling was the reason that Mbappe missed it then you changed your rationale that De Gea was the reason. You are all over the place and show no consistency. You say I have spurs tinted glasses, but the glasses you have on might be one of a donkey. Mbappe clearly slipped before going past De Gea and after De Gea touched it, Smalling came back to block his shot. How can you argue against something that is so clear a two year old can understand? I m not making every win lucky, but this one was lucky.
De gea or Smalling, either way it wasn't luck. Both interfered on the ball and Mbappe didn't have a free run while Lukaku slipped past the GK and Silva without anyone touching the ball.

Also behave your self. I'm reporting this. Don't know how the hell they let rival fans insult United fans here.

Amadaeus

De gea or Smalling, either way it wasn't luck. Both interfered on the ball and Mbappe didn't have a free run while Lukaku slipped past the GK and Silva without anyone touching the ball.

Also behave your self. I'm reporting this. Don't know how the hell they let rival fans insult United fans here.
Rival fans? :lol: You must be new on here. Plus, I have been called much worse than donkey, so I m well behaved.:angel: Heck, I rather be called a donkey than a spurs fan.

Mbappe had a free run before slipping ffs. I never claimed that block was lucky, but the overall result was.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's the best coach they can possibly have. Wise decision.

izec

They just want to show they have faith in him. They will sack him next season if he doesnt deliver a CL semifinal at least. They must improve in Europe

el3mel

Doesn't matter really. Another failure in CL next season and he'll be sacked.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They just want to show they have faith in him. They will sack him next season if he doesnt deliver a CL semifinal at least. They must improve in Europe
Trend generally is to give their managers two chances in europe.

Blanc messed up a very winnable CL quarter final v Chelsea in 2014. He was still boss until 2016.

Then Emery had his nightmare at Camp Nou but he still got the following season.

PSG are at least not knee jerk in sacking managers like say Real Madrid.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
PSG lost the cup final on penalties

Tuchel only won the league

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
PSG lost the cup final on penalties

Tuchel only won the league
And oversaw their worst UCL campaign in quite a number of years (when you factor in that they barely made it out of the group and then the team and way they went out to in the last 16)

bulby

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And oversaw their worst UCL campaign in quite a number of years (when you factor in that they barely made it out of the group and then the team and way they went out to in the last 16)
Ehm...they were first in their group (which was the toughest of all) with 2 more points than Liverpool.

Blackwidow

Tuchel is a nervous weirdo. Shite version of Klopp.
He is nothing like Klopp. Half of Klopp's work is being a mental coach - he gets his teams to work for the group, for him and each other. His tactics are great when everybody does this work and when when the team has enough quality to be able to beat busses, too. He is not the tactical genius who changes his tactics and plays "chess" with other coaches. The tactical geniuses are Pep, Tuchel or Nagelsmann.

I am one of the few Bayern fans who did not want him - atleast not after his time in Dortmund without another club in between. Especially when he does not have the bosses really behind him as the German press for sure would not be the big fan. I still do not know if he really has the abilities to really influence the star players in a way he needs to.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ehm...they were first in their group (which was the toughest of all) with 2 more points than Liverpool.
Ehm Liverpool themselves only qualified on the final match day and regardless of how the group looked on paper both Liverpool and Arsenal have shown this season Napoli ain't that good and yet PSG failed to beat them twice as well as being awful at Anfield

crossy1686

career ending
2-0 up at half time, lose the cup on penalties. This team are professional bottlers but apart from that, I do not understand the Tuchel wankfest that goes on here.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Pep 1st season with City was disaster. If you went through his thread at the time you would think he is the biggest fraud in managers world. Not saying Tuchel is new Pep, but he has quality and this things happen.

He definitely needs to deliver next season though.