Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He plays at the top end of the pitch to score and create chances not run around and cause a nuisance. You can find far better players who do both.
Like who ?
It's his run that took dias away that gave kai the space to run into.
If he sorts his finishing out he will be fine.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He plays at the top end of the pitch to score and create chances not run around and cause a nuisance. You can find far better players who do both.
Who do you think we could get that "does both"? That is currently getting the goals AND plays wide & makes the runs for others. Genuine question.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Like who ?
It's his run that took dias away that gave kai the space to run into.
If he sorts his finishing out he will be fine.
At their best both Rashford and Sterling do the same, they drag players out of position but also carry a far greater goal threat and are technically a level above but both are in poor form right now. Really it’s the bare minimum of a front three player to make runs and drag players out of position.

TrustInJanuzaj

Who do you think we could get that "does both"? That is currently getting the goals AND plays wide & makes the runs for others. Genuine question.
Well you are into the realms of getting other better wingers. You could get different players like Sancho or even Grealish who would offer less speed but far greater quality and they will certainly still pull defenders out. You don’t have to have a speed merchant on the wing.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
At their best both Rashford and Sterling do the same, they drag players out of position but also carry a far greater goal threat and are technically a level above but both are in poor form right now. Really it’s the bare minimum of a front three player to make runs and drag players out of position.
Lmfao. No thanks.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He’s always been technically pretty weak too and now he really can’t hit a barn door either. Chelsea would with out a doubt massively upgrade on him.
That is fair. Put Haaland in his spot and he will score 40 goals a season.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Rashford clearly doesn't drag defenders out of position as frequently or adeptly as Werner did in e.g. that goal last night. You can't just equate making runs with making runs that have that kind of outcome, game after game. It's like saying sure, Scholes can pass, but so can Kante. At some level that's true but not really the point.

TrustInJanuzaj

That is fair. Put Haaland in his spot and he will score 40 goals a season.
Haaland would be an absolute game changer for Chelsea. In fact I think he has the potential to improve them the most out of any team in Europe. (Seems weird to say after they managed to win the Chanpions league anyway).

TrustInJanuzaj

Rashford clearly doesn't drag defenders out of position as frequently or adeptly as Werner did in e.g. that goal last night. You can't just equate making runs with making runs that have that kind of outcome, game after game.
Rashford for all his faults has excellent movement, he would occupy the same role under Tuchel and would do it far better.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Well you are into the realms of getting other better wingers. You could get different players like Sancho or even Grealish who would offer less speed but far greater quality and they will certainly still pull defenders out. You don’t have to have a speed merchant on the wing.
Look, Ive wanted an update on Werner for sure. He's cost me a lot of grey hairs this season but to play in this system we kinda do need an intelligent speed merchant in Werners position, that's why Giroud and Tammy can't get a sniff of a start.

Could we change the system? Of course but we have so many options in the squad we don't need to sign anyone to do that. Tuchel likes this setup and given the outcome it's hard to seriously suggest a change

There's a reason in his pre match interview, the only Chelsea player Pep mentioned was Werner. It's not just that he's fast.

Chelsea will be signing another forward this summer but it won't be to replace Werner.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough. I do think Rashford is better especially when he’s on song. He just scores more goals.
Who doesn't score more than timo this season.
It's not just a run here or there it's constant running. This guys stamina is fantastic. Like I said dias and stones were run up and down the line for as long as he was on the pitch.
He gets the benefit of another year where he hopefully gets his finishing sorted. We need a 9 regardless it will help him as I think he suits having someone play off.

TrustInJanuzaj

Look, Ive wanted an update on Werner for sure. He's cost me a lot of grey hairs this season but to play in this system we kinda do need an intelligent speed merchant in Werners position, that's why Giroud and Tammy can't get a sniff of a start.

Could we change the system? Of course but we have so many options in the squad we don't need to sign anyone to do that. Tuchel likes this setup and given the outcome it's hard to seriously suggest a change

There's a reason in his pre match interview, the only Chelsea player Pep mentioned was Werner. It's not just that he's fast.

Chelsea will be signing another forward this summer but it won't be to replace Werner.
Yeh fair enough. I still don’t see him lasting in this team long term. I think you have better players who will eventually out him. Harvertz in the real deal to be honest and I said when you signed them both I thought that was the case.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Despite being poor by his standards he's still ended up with 27 goals + assists for the season. That's not a bad record considering he's had some important moments in the UCL later stages as well.

This season has been a pure anomaly in terms of his finishing, yes he has been inconsistent in the past but never this bad. I think it's a case of mental fragility and not being a poor finisher because he's never been this bad in the BL, where he gets the same type of chances.

Would be interesting to see what happens next year, if Chelsea bring in another striker and, if they do, how will Werner react. I don't think he will do much better if there is a striker playing ahead of him.

cyberman

Despite being poor by his standards he's still ended up with 27 goals + assists for the season. That's not a bad record considering he's had some important moments in the UCL later stages as well.

This season has been a pure anomaly in terms of his finishing, yes he has been inconsistent in the past but never this bad. I think it's a case of mental fragility and not being a poor finisher because he's never been this bad in the BL, where he gets the same type of chances.

Would be interesting to see what happens next year, if Chelsea bring in another striker and, if they do, how will Werner react. I don't think he will do much better if there is a striker playing ahead of him.
Its 2 goals in 28 or something. Its a terrible return and a lot of his assists are from situations he should be taking on but bottles so he plays the pass across instead.

cyberman

Yes. He hardly sets the world alight either and gets slated by half your fanbase.
I wouldnt go by what our hysterical fanbase reacts to. Rashford is 10x the player Werner is on the ball and that makes a huge difference.
Werner reminds me of Daniel James, only James doesnt get a run of games because Rashford keeps him out.
Anyway, congratulations!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't think either have his motor, closest thing to him in england would be Vardy

Anyways, movement is all well and good but he's a striker, he has to be better in front of goal

TrustInJanuzaj

Don't think either have his motor, closest thing to him in england would be Vardy

Anyways, movement is all well and good but he's a striker, he has to be better in front of goal
Rashford is pretty rapid to be honest. I kind of get the vardy comparison but vardy is the better player by a good margin.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lukaku? One thing he's great at, other than goalscoring, is those runs down the channels. They're actually similar strikers with Lukakau being stronger and a better finisher

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I have watched him somewhere between 10-15 times this season and he has had a pretty bad game every time.

It is true that he is the right kind of striker for them, quick and works the channels, but he just seems to be short of quality as far as I can see. And he has fluffed a lot of chances. Really a lot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rashford is pretty rapid to be honest. I kind of get the vardy comparison but vardy is the better player by a good margin.
Motor=activity, stamina. Don't think rashford has it in him to make as many runs as werner does

Yeah, Werner is a worse version of Vardy right now

Edit: actually, whole evolution tree is Werner --> Vardy --> 18/19 Sadio Mané

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
The issue with Werner is he was bought for £50m to score goals. He hasn't. Not only that he's looked quite poor. Amateurish finishing and the bizarre incapability to stay onside.

Obviously he has his positives; movement, pace etc but the question has to be is that worth £50m?

If you look at this objectively he's been a flop and a figure of fun. Looking at him technically I don't think he'll be that predatory finisher but he may be a useful wide forward. Again though, is that what he was bought for and was that worth the huge fee?

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
People forget he is actually a clinical striker when you have seen his numbers in the Bundesliga.

Now people will tell me because the PL is stronger and thefore more difficult to score. Thats true, but not in Werners case. His issue is not creating, its really putting the ball into the net, which he is clearly capable of seeing his numbers before. Its obviously a confidence issue.

I disagree with people seeing he is a flop. He is a important player of a team who just won the Champions league and had a great PL run. He is a starter under a top coach.

People who say he is a flop after one season are really sth else. Then there are lots of bigger flops.

I also thinkh e is technically really good. Interesting how opinion can differ.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The issue with Werner is he was bought for £50m to score goals. He hasn't. Not only that he's looked quite poor. Amateurish finishing and the bizarre incapability to stay onside.

Obviously he has his positives; movement, pace etc but the question has to be is that worth £50m?

If you look at this objectively he's been a flop and a figure of fun. Looking at him technically I don't think he'll be that predatory finisher but he may be a useful wide forward. Again though, is that what he was bought for and was that worth the huge fee?
For next season Chelsea surely have to figure out their attack. Werner's amount of misses is the most obvious problem, but he is not the only one who is not scoring as much as expected considering the involved transfer fees. So is this level he so far has shown worth 50m? Might be not, but he might improve.

It'll be an interesting summer to see who Tuchel trusts to improve and who he tries to replace. But ultimately football is about winning titles and he just was an important part of the CL win so you also have to ask what is a CL win worth to you? City invested a billion and still failed, so in that regard he might be a bargain.

People forget he is actually a clinical striker when you have seen his numbers in the Bundesliga.
He is not and never was. He is just extremely good at getting into scoring positions, but his finishing was always average and not clinical (average is still a lot better than this season, I give you that).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Its 2 goals in 28 or something. Its a terrible return and a lot of his assists are from situations he should be taking on but bottles so he plays the pass across instead.
I'm sure you're only basing that on the assist he made against West Brom. The assists in the FA Cup semi-final and against Atletico were bottle jobs as well, right?

NoLogo

Now people will tell me because the PL is stronger and thefore more difficult to score. Thats true, but not in Werners case. His issue is not creating, its really putting the ball into the net, which he is clearly capable of seeing his numbers before. Its obviously a confidence issue.

I disagree with people seeing he is a flop. He is a important player of a team who just won the Champions league and had a great PL run. He is a starter under a top coach.

People who say he is a flop after one season are really sth else. Then there are lots of bigger flops.

I also thinkh e is technically really good. Interesting how opinion can differ.
I actually agree with you. Werner still gets in the right positions and gets loads of chances but his confidence is shot right now and we all know how important confidence is for a striker. I'm actually a bit scared how good Chelsea could be if he regains some confidence next season. The movement up front with him, Havertz and Mount at the minute seems to be hard to deal with for almost every team out there. But yeah a lot depends on him finding his scoring boots again.

cyberman

I'm sure you're only basing that on the assist he made against West Brom. The assists in the FA Cup semi-final and against Atletico were bottle jobs as well, right?
I didnt say every assist so dont know why youre narrowing it down to a ridculous level.
He hasnt the confidence to take on shots that top strikers do and misses the easy ones he is forced to take. Its not that complicated. If it isnt an easy chance, he turns it down.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
One had one of the worst seasons ever while the other had a decent one because he runs into space and brings players to himself

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The issue with Werner is he was bought for £50m to score goals. He hasn't.
Yeah, I'm sure Chelsea is devastated right now. And who is Tuchel to disagree with you?

Anyway, I think Chelsea is well advised to not bring in a immobile striker. It's a matter of time until Werner finds his composure again and Havertz just had a brillant game as a false 9. Bringing in a striker might significantly mess with their chance creation. Especially since Tuchel's strikers in general are very mobile and fast sou it would be hard to find a more fitting option than Werner or Havertz. Can only repeat myself, if I were them I would go all in on Sancho. They don't need anyone so they should just secure the most likely best player of the upcoming decade while they have the opportunity to do it. No brainer for me.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yeah, I'm sure Chelsea is devastated right now. And who is Tuchel to disagree with you?

Anyway, I think Chelsea is well advised to not bring in a immobile striker. It's a matter of time until Werner finds his composure again and Havertz just had a brillant game as a false 9. Bringing in a striker might significantly mess with their chance creation. Especially since Tuchel's strikers in general are very mobile and fast sou it would be hard to find a more fitting option than Werner or Havertz. Can only repeat myself, if I were them I would go all in on Sancho. They don't need anyone so they should just secure the most likely best player of the upcoming decade while they have the opportunity to do it. No brainer for me.
Would really be interesting to see whether they bring in Lukaku (don't think Haaland is a realistic option given Dortmund have qualified for the UCL), as it has been reported. He's the complete antithesis of Werner and would drastically change Tuchel's tactics.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s awful. He reminds me of Torres when he moved to Chelsea. Just a mess trying to sort his feet out and pretty impotent up top.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
He is not and never was. He is just extremely good at getting into scoring positions, but his finishing was always average and not clinical (average is still a lot better than this season, I give you that).
Maybe clinical was exaggerated. But I mean that his finishing this season is not his standard level of finishing.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
The last few posts by the usual suspects have been borderline hilarious! Yeah Chelsea and the fans must be crying after spending 47m on him and only the CL to show for it.