Tom Cleverley | 2014/15 Performances (on loan at Aston Villa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
So if he hasn't received the offer he wants (which he may get as a free transfer in a years time) he should just take it anyway, just to possibly play, even if it's for a team he doesn't really want to play for?
Just so that he doesn't deprive United of a fee, even though they agreed a contract with him?
No, not at all. You've missed the most important part.

It isn't solely that he's valuing money ahead of United getting a transfer fee, it's that he's valuing money ahead of his football. If he stays in the reserves for a year then he'll stall even more as a footballer and there is no way fantastic clubs like Valencia would be interested him. I doubt even Villa would be, given what it signals and what a wasted year means for his development.

He can also kiss goodbye to any hope of an England career, which is a shame given the retirement of many older players and the complete revamping of the team. A little bit of application and it could be Cleverley getting a call up instead of Fabian Delph and Jack Colback.

RuudTom83

To be fair to Cleverly, if my employer told me this morning they had transferred me to another office on half my wage...i wouldn't be jumping around all jolly either.

Empire

To be fair to Cleverly, if my employer told me this morning they had transferred me to another office on half my wage...i wouldn't be jumping around all jolly either.
It's like another office wanting you but you refusing to work unless they double your wage.

RuudTom83

Not in my scenario it isn't! it is like another office wanting me but not willing to match my current wage, worse than that in fact they are not even coming close.

@Empire If your phone rang now and someone offered you the same job at half the wage...what would you say?

Answer: No Thanks

hp88

He needs to make a move if he wants to progress as a footballer, if he stays here he will spend a year on the bench or paying 15 minutes every other game.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I honestly hope we let him rot in the reserves if he is not ready to move so as to get a sign on fees next season. Would be a huge disappointment aftet all the talks he gave of wanting to prove himself. Now is the time Tom.
Woah woah woah, we've got important prospects down there, I don't want Tom taking up game time from anyone down there.

Let him go to Royal Antwerp.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Seriously Tom, it's time to piss off. Stop being a greedy git.

Empire

Not in my scenario it isn't! it is like another office wanting me but not willing to match my current wage, worse than that in fact they are not even coming close.

@Empire If your phone rang now and someone offered you the same job at half the wage...what would you say?

Answer: No Thanks
Cleverley is on £30k per week, he has been offered this, possibly more, he wants £60k per week or at least that's what I have read.

You are implying Villa are offering him £15k per week!!

Villa don't seem to have a problem matching his current wages but he wants double that.

This is like another office wanting you and your current office wanting to get rid of you but you refusing to work because the new office will not double your current wage.

BTW - this is based on what I have read on here, I have no idea whether that's true or not but I have not read Villa only want to pay him £15k per week.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Tom, mate, just leave. You're an okay player. Go show it at Villa cos you're certainly not showing it here.

MoskvaRed

For those making comparisons with what we would do in such a situation, most/all of us don't have careers ending in our mid-30s. If he turns down a move over wages, he is a foregoing a slightly lower (but still huge) wage at the expense of a great chance to re-start his club and international career. After 12 months at United frozen out of game time, he'll be a 26 year old whose CV consists of decent loan spells 4-5 years earlier at Watford and Wigan and 3-4 good games for United followed a descent into mediocrity.

RuudTom83

Cleverley is on £30k per week, he has been offered this, possibly more, he wants £60k per week or at least that's what I have read.

You are implying Villa are offering him £15k per week!!

Villa don't seem to have a problem matching his current wages but he wants double that.

This is like another office wanting you and your current office wanting to get rid of you but you refusing to work because the new office will not double your current wage.

BTW - this is based on what I have read on here, I have no idea whether that's true or not but I have not read Villa only want to pay him £15k per week.
ahhh gotcha, i understand your stance now, and i agree with you in that scenario

but in my head the scenario is different hehe but i'll quit with the office analogy now and do some work before my boss sacks me :devil:

bishblaize

I have to say that I think any degree of mutual loyalty changes once the club asks you to leave. Unless they're forgoing a fee or giving you a testimonial, I think the club has made this a business decision and Clev should treat it like one too.

On the other hand, the guy will already retire a millionaire. If he stays and waits out his contract, then when he's in his 50s I doubt very much he'll look back and think what a good decision it was take to spend a whole year of a very short career sat on the bench. I doubt very much a signing on fee will make up for that loss.

starman

He must not think much of himself, if he is not leaving due to Villa not meeting his demands. Fair enough if he wanted to stay because he loves united and thinks he can get into the team, however squabbling over wages when he is going to be a first teamer allowing his to showcase talents is very silly. If he is a hit, he will even get a raise or clubs with a higher wage structure will come sniffing next year

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If anyone ever wants to have a laugh at opinions based on assumption, rumour, spin and wildly off target analogies this would be the best thread to study.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Villa bid for canales. Hurry up and move tom you shitbag.

Mister_Stubbs

The little prick isn't going to leave is he? No offence Tom, I'm sure you are a lovely chap blah blah blah but you aren't a Man Utd player.. just leave.

NinjaFletch

Reckon he'd be decent for us still with some confidence.

Maybe we'll see that again, but I'd definitely want to fight it out here if I had the opportunity. Don't blame him personally.

footballgirl07

SSN were linking in with Everton today. I imagine he would sooner opt to work with Martinez again than the go to villa etc. Well you think he would opt for regular first team football at his age.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think he'll get slaughtered in the press if he decides to run down this contract for a year. Seems like he is being badly advised. He'll probably get a higher contract if he runs it down but it'll come at a big cost in terms of his development. You would think seeing the likes of Colback being called up for England would give him a shake and realise that it wouldn't take much for him to get his career back on track.

Nights

I see Villa have just bid for Sergio Canales. Maybe they're sick of brand TC23 already.

I think Tom's going to run down his contract. Unfortunately. I'd like him to prove me wrong though.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Everton are skint cause of Lukaku. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a loan only...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The hate this guy's getting...

OK all the signs point to Cleverley being surplus to requirements but how do we know what's going through his head? He might think he can convince Van Gaal he's worth keeping about? He might be thinking he'd rather stay around the North, given his wife's just had a kid, than go to Birmingham. I'm probably going to get blasted as a Cleverley lover, even though I think it would be best for all parties if he does go, but there are two sides to this. I'd like to believe the best of a guy who has been with the club since he was a teenager and clearly wanted to make it here, and is probably in bits he's being told to do one. Rather than just think he's willing to sit around waiting for a fat signing on fee (not that he's likely to get one next summer if he hasn't been playing so I dunno where that idea comes from), I'm thinking Cleverley is weighing up other factors.

Someone

Something
He needs to leave for the sake of his career, by this time next year he might not find any decent club to take him.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Unless Van Gaal has told him that he still has a future here, I fully expect him to be gone by the end of the day. We'll find a way to offload him, even if it's just a loan

Status
Not open for further replies.