Tom Cleverley | 2014/15 Performances (on loan at Aston Villa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He was very good today particularly in the first half. Good energy and good ball retention and an eye to keep things ticking.

Problem is he is either incapable of shooting and defensive splitting passes or he chooses not to which is equally as bad.

As we've seen with Herrera it is important for our midfielders to score and create opportunities consistently.

saivet

One of the only United players who might get some silverware this season. Who would have thought?!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It almost seems unfathomable but Cleverley could actually fit quite well into LVGs possession based system, as a backup for Herrera.

Personally I wont shed any tears if - as is expected - he doesnt get a new contract, but if he doesnt mind being a backup, we could use a few squad players to flesh our squad out next season.

I always felt Cleverley was not suited to the systems we played under Fergie and Moyes, specifically the 2-man midfield. He doesnt contribute enough in any particular area - he is a jack of all trades. In a 3-man midfield where he isnt expected to be the main creator, the main defensive midfielder, or the main anything else, I think he could actually prove decent.

kps88

Neat and tidy but nothing more. Maybe it was just me, but I noticed loads of times in the first half when he showed a bit too much energy. He'd literally run towards the ball and then start pointing at his feet when he was no more than a couple of feet away. Reminded me of when Herrera said LVG wanted him to learn to stand still and not go charging around.

Roboc7

He won't and shouldn't come back, we don't need more backup players in midfield we need genuine quality and Cleverley clearly isn't that, he looks decent in an average side, as soon as he steps up to a higher level he won't be good enough and won't play so hopefully he has the sense to stay at villa.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Good performance. Hope he has a good premier league career. If he has a career similar to say Darren Bent I'd say he's done well. He's a solid midtable premier league player but I could easily see him moving up or down a few rungs.

ThanksBoss26

I can definitely see him going to Everton this summer. Martinez is a known fan from his Wigan days and that move was rumoured to be reasonably close last summer if a fee could have been agreed with us.

LR7

Didn't watch the game today.

I thought he was a good player anyway his confidence just seemed to be completely shattered for whatever reason.

I think he wants to play. If he wanted to stay and be a squad player, I'm sure he could have done that this season. Looks like he'll be going to Everton and I hope he does well there.

After he helps Villa to beat Arsenal in the cup final that is. :smirk:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Hes really picked it up since Sherwood came in. I think he should probably stay at Villa because Sherwood likes him, has him playing well and he'll be a guaranteed starter. Although he should find out if the likes of Delph are going to be sold first and if any money is going to be spent in the summer. No point signing for a sinking ship.

Sylar

If we had him yesterday, we could have played Rooney up top and possibly not broken the Herrera/Tony/Mata trio :P

Classical Mechanic

Hes really picked it up since Sherwood came in. I think he should probably stay at Villa because Sherwood likes him, has him playing well and he'll be a guaranteed starter. Although he should find out if the likes of Delph are going to be sold first and if any money is going to be spent in the summer. No point signing for a sinking ship.
I think that Sherwood is like Harry in that he creates a lot of positive energy and buzz around the place, I think Cleverley as a fragile character for a footballer feeds off that.

Bwuk

Said it before, but technically there is nothing wrong with Cleverley. Good technical player.

He just seemed to lack the balls/ have the confidence far too often.

Alex Styles

He'd be a good squad player. I remember him always being effective in champions league away fixtures when we set up to get a result, was also very good against real madrid. He usually turns up in the big games and is effective at breaking up the play. He would need to work on getting the team moving forward.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Amazing how after a good performance, people will give calm, measured opinions. If he has a poor game (for United), he gets an avalanche of abuse.

Was pleased to see him do well, always had a lot of time for him but looks like he will move away and start a career elsewhere and I like to see any youth product to go on and do well in the game.

ZDwyr

Only just saw the match. I thought he was good. The entire Villa midfield was good though (or made to look good by a poor Liverpool). Anyway, I hope he wins it!

Robbie Boy

I didn't get to see the game but I'll catch the highlights later on. But by all accounts, I have seen plenty of Villa fans singling him out for praise. Sounds like Grealish and Delph stole the show but Cleverley was very good.

Good to see him gain some confidence and I would say he has pretty much found his level, for now anyway. In saying that, he will no doubt attract more admiring glances if he keeps impressing until the end of the season.

Reading some of the Villa fans comments about him, it seems they had the exact same issues with Cleverley as our own fans had: he plays with no balls, passes the ball backwards etc. His technical ability was never really a problem, it was the fact that he generally played completely within himself. But it seems he's turned a corner. I wish him the best at whoever he ends up at.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
The passion he showed celebrating for that equaliser there he absolutely loved it.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's looking like a different player. Just goes to show how important confidence is.

Pleased for him.

Mindhunter

He's looking like a different player. Just goes to show how important confidence is.

Pleased for him.
I think it is the pressure. At United people were expecting him to dictate the tempo and also create chances on his own. That too at a time when the squad was very short on midfielders. Not all players can perform with that kind of scrutiny.

Happy for him though. He has found his level.

Status
Not open for further replies.