Tom Cleverley | 2014/15 Performances (on loan at Aston Villa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not ever, the clothing was for charity and having a site is no different to having a twitter account or blog.
He made his website after his 3rd start for the club and started the TC23 brand at the same time. It's very different to having a Twitter account, I've got a Twitter account, if I had a website for myself it'd be ridiculous just like it was him making his own website after 3 games.

After he closed the website due to all the criticism he received for it he claimed that he only made it for something to do when he was injured and was trying to set something up for himself when his short career is finished. Considering it was a professionally commissioned website it's hardly a project he took on when injured and as for setting something up for his retirement, it just goes to show that he was trying to create a brand for himself. After 3 starts.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He made his website after his 3rd start for the club and started the TC23 brand at the same time. It's very different to having a Twitter account, I've got a Twitter account, if I had a website for myself it'd be ridiculous just like it was him making his own website after 3 games.

After he closed the website due to all the criticism he received for it he claimed that he only made it for something to do when he was injured and was trying to set something up for himself when his short career is finished. Considering it was a professionally commissioned website it's hardly a project he took on when injured and as for setting something up for his retirement, it just goes to show that he was trying to create a brand for himself. After 3 starts.
What a heinous crime, feck me people do find the most pathetic things with which to pass judgement on others with......

Steven Seagull

It's a bit annoying for all us people without good hobbies, but nobody really knows if him telling someone to do it affected his play. So lets not pretend it did

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What a heinous crime, feck me people do find the most pathetic things with which to pass judgement on others with......
It's a bit annoying for all us people without good hobbies, but nobody really knows if him telling someone to do it affected his play. So lets not pretend it did
I don't think it got in the way of his football or anything daft like that. Look at the level Beckham played at with the all the shite around him. I think it does give you a pretty good idea of the opinion he has of himself though and if you've heard him speak he comes across as self assured to the point where any of his failings have been down to others. The leak he gave about Keane carried a very poor line where he basically said the Villa players don't get paid enough to work to Keane's standard.

He'd do well to take a bit of responsibility for himself and get his head down and work because there is some talent there and at the moment he's wasting it.

prateik

Wasn't he out injured when he had his website made. Why does 3 starts matter? He had free time and not much to do as he had a foot injury.
And of course it was professionally made. I don't think Cleverley could make his own website. Even the reserve team players are filthy rich. Spending some to get a website made is hardly a crime.

Complaining about his website is idiotic.

Players regress/or even stop progressing quiet often. Cleverley never got to where he should have been. Nothing to do with a fecking website

Steven Seagull

I don't think it got in the way of his football or anything daft like that. Look at the level Beckham played at with the all the shite around him. I think it does give you a pretty good idea of the opinion he has of himself though and if you've heard him speak he comes across as self assured to the point where any of his failings have been down to others. The leak he gave about Keane carried a very poor line where he basically said the Villa players don't get paid enough to work to Keane's standard.

He'd do well to take a bit of responsibility for himself and get his head down and work because there is some talent there and at the moment he's wasting it.
Pretty harsh in my opinion but it Christmas Day, so who gives a flying turd.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Wasn't he out injured when he had his website made. Why does 3 starts matter? He had free time and not much to do as he had a foot injury.
And of course it was professionally made. I don't think Cleverley could make his own website. Even the reserve team players are filthy rich. Spending some to get a website made is hardly a crime.

Complaining about his website is idiotic.

Players regress/or even stop progressing quiet often. Cleverley never got to where he should have been. Nothing to do with a fecking website
If you read what I said, it's not the act of making a website that anyone criticised. Nobody is saying he spent too much time working on his HTML coding and neglected his shooting practice.

It's the fact he tried to brand himself like Beckham did when he had done absolutely feck all to warrant it. Who exactly did he expect to buy his clothing range? It was a really weird and egotistical act from a young player who shouldn't be concerning himself with enhancing his celebrity profile when he had yet to make any sort of impact on the first team.

I think the reason he never got to where he should have is down to his attitude.

Oo0AahCantona

Seems like a lifetime ago we had a midfield 2 of Anderson and cleverly, winning 3-2 vs city to the 8-2 battering of arsenal. Then they both got injured and the rest in history.

Gannicus

Not ever, the clothing was for charity and having a site is no different to having a twitter account or blog.
You can't be serious.

Tom was flying high at the one if the biggest clubs in the world, but it was still at the beginning of his career. Marketing his TC23 brand was at best premature. He needed to keep his head on his shoulders. Which he failed to do. The self-branding thing could have waited until after he accomplished something.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Criticising a player for trying to seize an opportunity for selling merchandise and making money while their status is at its peak - Utd starter and England international - is weak at best. So what if he's not achieved anything individually? He's a premier league winner and can do whatever the heck he likes off the pitch providing his personal actions comply with club regulations.

Criticise on the pitch by all means, and let's not shy away here as there's a huge scope to do so, but let's not pick at a man for trying to monetise a potential revenue stream from a situation he's in through hard work and a little luck. He's not the first and isn't the last. Move on.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Criticising a player for trying to seize an opportunity for selling merchandise and making money while their status is at its peak - Utd starter and England international - is weak at best. So what if he's not achieved anything individually? He's a premier league winner and can do whatever the heck he likes off the pitch providing his personal actions comply with club regulations.

Criticise on the pitch by all means, and let's not shy away here as there's a huge scope to do so, but let's not pick at a man for trying to monetise a potential revenue stream from a situation he's in through hard work and a little luck. He's not the first and isn't the last. Move on.
That would be fair enough if it was true. We're criticising him because he did it when he had made just 3 first team appearances. He hadn't earned a single England cap at the time and had made just two sub appearances and one start for United.

It was hugely premature to the point of ridiculous and is absolutely right to be called out on it.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read

Came across this on Twitter. How on earth was he captaining us against AS Roma just 6 months ago?

Bojan11

Reading the Villa forums and they calling him average. Saying he offers nothing and hope he is dropped.

And to think some people thought he could make it here.

Wayne's World

Reading the Villa forums and they calling him average. Saying he offers nothing and hope he is dropped.

And to think some people thought he could make it here.
I'm stunned, thought he would blossom into Zinedine Zidane going there.

I lost hope on Cleverley years ago, just never good enough and we kept playing him and playing him.

Varun

Staff

Came across this on Twitter. How on earth was he captaining us against AS Roma just 6 months ago?
Because he was the only one that was going to play the full 90. LvG made that pretty clear.

LR7

I wonder if its a mentality issue. He just seems happy to coast through games without being particularly impactful or influential. I feel a bit sorry for him. I expected him to rise to the challenge of being a big fish in a smaller pond at Villa, when their own smaller fishes are outdoing him (sorry for the awful analogy!)

Shit I totally forgot about Cleverley, hes not going to come back right? Please sat no ...
His contract runs out at the end of the season, so no.

Ekeke

Has done himself no favours at Villa. He is struggling and isn't stand-out at all.
He has, he's their best ball winner which is a string added to his bow this season. And if he had won the ball quite as often in his United career he'd have been a far more useful player.

He hasnt made much of an impression on the ball, but thats not too surprising since he had a grossly inflated and over the top reputation for his passing. It was safe and reached a teammate most often, that doesn't make it good. Having said that he's one of their most accurate and creative passers this season - it just doesnt mean much because of the distinct lack of creativity coming out from the side that means 1.1 key passes a game is 2nd most for this team.

Overall he doesnt look out of place at Villa. This is probably his level just about mid table

Varun

Staff
And then was subbed off early in the second half.
Was he shite in the game? That'd explain it as LvG categorically stated that he intended Clev to play the full 90 and thus had to be the captain.

Hed Zitin

Not really a surprise a mid table team is his level. Delph looks miles apart from him. He's a Sidwell, or a Colback level player.

Amazing we won a league with him next to Carrick. Goes to show how good Sir Alex is.

RedOldBoy

Amazing to think that he several years ago he and Wiltshire were England's bright new future.

ZDwyr

:lol: it's hard to believe how average he is. There was definitely something there at the beginning though, right? I mean he can't possibly have just fluked his way to Manchester United first team for a few years.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
When I was a kid, having a tom (Tom Tank) meant wanking, so whenever I see this guy's name I think 'Masturbate Ingeniously'

I wonder if its a mentality issue. He just seems happy to coast through games without being particularly impactful or influential. I feel a bit sorry for him. I expected him to rise to the challenge of being a big fish in a smaller pond at Villa, when their own smaller fishes are outdoing him (sorry for the awful analogy!)

His contract runs out at the end of the season, so no.
I think it was 90% mentality with him. He was a very decent prospect once and then something seemed to just go in his head, I think it was after he got injured, he retreated into this safe player scared of taking any risks. He did have the ability once.

You cant even say hes a rubbish passer because he doesnt try anything other than sideways anymore. I had hoped for his sake being out of the spotlight at Villa might have helped, but looks like the last couple of seasons of crucifixion in the press have put to bed any chance of him ever coming out of his shell.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Inaccurate article; says that he would snub Villa and Everton would make a 7m bid for him at the end of the season, when actually his contract with us comes to an end then.

If he is unwilling to sign for Villa in this window, then we better bring him back and let him sit on the bench. Will we be eligible for a compensation since he is homegrown?

NoPace

I watched Leicester-Villa. He looked less composed on the ball than I remember. Just sort of chipped it forward at times, which never worked. I don't think he'd really help Everton much and he definitely wouldn't help us. Too bad. He looked promising for a while.

Swansea would make some sense. They play pass and move football and Caroll and Britton are their backups CM's and they are on loan and old.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Still can't get my head around the abuse he cops for not being a great player. Why don't the players at the clubs said to be his level get the abuse from us?

I for one, hope he finds a club where he can have a good career.

LR7

Still can't get my head around the abuse he cops for not being a great player. Why don't the players at the clubs said to be his level get the abuse from us?

I for one, hope he finds a club where he can have a good career.
Are you using the word 'abuse' misleadingly? There was a time when our fans were giving him abuse on twitter, which was nasty, unnecessary, and led to him closing his twitter account but I'm not sure I've seen him on the receiving end of any abuse since. Have you? Perhaps I'm wrong.

I always liked Cleverley and spent lots of time in his thread defending him when he was here. I think some of the criticism he's getting now at Villa is because people know his potential (because we have seen it), and he's not playing anywhere near it, even in a far less pressurised environment. Most people, even his critics, expected him to become one of Villa's better players, when he's just blended into the background, rarely affecting games, whilst more average players (at least on paper) are putting in better performances. I questioned whether it was a mentality issue because even when he was here I never thought it was a lack of effort (and still don't). Maybe a stint with Roberto Martinez again would be good for him. A coach who believes in him and was able to get the best out of him before.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Are you using the word 'abuse' misleadingly? There was a time when our fans were giving him abuse on twitter, which was nasty, unnecessary, and led to him closing his twitter account but I'm not sure I've seen him on the receiving end of any abuse since. Have you? Perhaps I'm wrong.
Well he isn't being sent the abuse now but fans on here giving it to him is close to the same thing, I just don't get it. Maybe abuse when it's not directly sent to him is the wrong term but I don't get why he is criticised for not being a great player.

People go out of the way to try and prove what a bad player he is and I just don't see a reason for it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Well he isn't being sent the abuse now but fans on here giving it to him is close to the same thing, I just don't get it. Maybe abuse when it's not directly sent to him is the wrong term but I don't get why he is criticised for not being a great player.

People go out of the way to try and prove what a bad player he is and I just don't see a reason for it.
You don't have to go out of your way to prove he is bad, he is doing a fine enough job of it himself.

LR7

Criticism of his performances and abuse are surely different? I also don't think criticism of him is because he isn't 'great'. It's because he's playing some way below his actual ability level (which we have all seen). I was effusive in praise for the type of player Cleverley was, he just isn't showing anything near it atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.