Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Tarrou

I'm certain everyone will drop more points but we've got the best set of fixtures and are the in-form side

If we feck it up from here it will be pretty devastating in terms of our momentum under Ole

Betfair has it at;

United 1/2
Chelsea 8/15
Leicester 6/5
Wolves 10/3

Quite like the look of Wolves odds there

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'm certain everyone will drop more points but we've got the best set of fixtures and are the in-form side

If we feck it up from here it will be pretty devastating in terms of our momentum under Ole

Betfair has it at;

United 1/2
Chelsea 8/15
Leicester 6/5
Wolves 10/3

Quite like the look of Wolves odds there
Wolves odd are naughty!

Lynty

I really hope Wolves do it. I live it Wolverhampton and have a soft spot for them, and the solid foundations they have built would allow then to kick on with and buy some quality players with Champions League football.

Lynty

Well it’s not not in Leicester and Chelsea’s hands but it’s also not not in Wolves and ours. Chelsea have it more in their hands then Leicester but Leicester still have it in hand and some say more in hand than United. But United have it more in hand than Leicester if Leicester hand us a big win in the final game then it would be more firmly in our hands than Leicester but not Chelsea unless Wolves hand it to them on the last day. Wolves have it in hand over Chelsea if they beat them but Chelsea have it over Wolves if they beat them. Which means it’s in Wolves’ hands whether or not it’s in Chelsea’s hands to hand it to Wolves who could cause Chelsea to hand it to Leicester who could hand it to us on the last day.

I don’t see what the confusion is about.
Gotta hand it to you, you've summarised the hands debate single handedly in one post. I hold my hands up and admit that I wasn't sure who had it in their hands, but you've handed me the answer. Leicester and Chelsea have it in their hands because they already have the points on board with no games in hand. On the other hand, us and Wolves have it in our hands because as long as we can handle our remaining fixtures to keep pace with Leicester and Chelsea, we could both hand them a defeat on the final day of the season to take top 4 spots. So effectively, it's in everyones hands as long as each team is on form. I think we have a solid chance, just need to everyone to turn up and perform, no mistakes from De Gea, we just want to see clean sheets and safe hands.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What was it you were saying about West Ham not having a chance in hell. I will be honest I didn't think they were even capable of a draw either.
Very happy to be wrong about that one :D

laughtersassassin

Am I reading this wrong or is this saying head to head will be used instead of goal difference?

Surely not?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Am I reading this wrong or is this saying head to head will be used instead of goal difference?

Surely not?
Yeah was introduced this season. Head to head is used for teams level on points when it is the league title, European qualification, or relegation at stake. Not sure many are aware of this, even Sky etc. don't refer to it.

laughtersassassin

Yeah was introduced this season. Head to head is used for teams level on points when it is the league title, European qualification, or relegation at stake. Not sure many are aware of this, even Sky etc. don't refer to it.
So our GD agosnt Leicester doesn't matter? If we beat them we will finish ahead of them on head to head?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Surely not?
So our GD agosnt Leicester doesn't matter? If we beat them we will finish ahead of them on head to head?
Had the same confusion yesterday. Head to head used instead of a playoff decider in case goal difference and goals scored is the same.

Matriac

I feel pretty sure that head to head is only in case of similar points, goal difference, goals for against (maybe). So there's no need for rematch.
As it says if level on the table. Wolves are not level with us now, they are behind on GD.

Will be used extremely rare. But a just in case rule.
Is my interpretation.

Edit: oh and also depends who had it in their hands.

Rish Sawhney

That's the opposite of what it says.
No its not.

"If two or more clubs finish level on the table".
They're not level on the table if one team has a higher GD. This is adding the head to head as a third tie breaker before a playoff game to reduce the chance of that happening.

laughtersassassin

No its not.

They're not level on the table if one team has a higher GD. This is adding the head to head as a third tie breaker before a playoff game to reduce the chance of that happening.
Fair enough. It is worded terribly. This can be interpreted as Head to Head being used as third tie breaker.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm pretty sure we'd have noticed in the table all season if head to head counted before goal difference :lol:.

slyadams

No its not.

You're right, my appologies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
City's fate is sealed on July 12th or thereabouts, right? So we'll know whether 5th gets you CL or not when the proper run-in starts?

Could be a thrilling end to the season, both top 4 and the relegation battle. I think Leicester might fade away and Utd/Chelsea make up the top 4 by the end of the season.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
City's fate is sealed on July 12th or thereabouts, right? So we'll know whether 5th gets you CL or not when the proper run-in starts?

Could be a thrilling end to the season, both top 4 and the relegation battle. I think Leicester might fade away and Utd/Chelsea make up the top 4 by the end of the season.
They find out on July 13th - same day we are due to face Southampton.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Gotta hand it to you, you've summarised the hands debate single handedly in one post. I hold my hands up and admit that I wasn't sure who had it in their hands, but you've handed me the answer. Leicester and Chelsea have it in their hands because they already have the points on board with no games in hand. On the other hand, us and Wolves have it in our hands because as long as we can handle our remaining fixtures to keep pace with Leicester and Chelsea, we could both hand them a defeat on the final day of the season to take top 4 spots. So effectively, it's in everyones hands as long as each team is on form. I think we have a solid chance, just need to everyone to turn up and perform, no mistakes from De Gea, we just want to see clean sheets and safe hands.
See this guy gets it!

Moiraine

So this Head to Head thing, if United finish level at points with Wolves or Chelsea (or both), they are ahead on head to head from both these teams right!

Wolves
away: United 1-0 wolves
Home: 0-0

Chelsea
Won both ties

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's a reason sky don't mention it.
And that because the chances of points, goal difference and goals scored being the same are minimal.

The change is that last year an extra game would be the decider and this year it's on head to heads.
Only applied if points goal diffo and goals scored are the same.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So this Head to Head thing, if United finish level at points with Wolves or Chelsea (or both), they are ahead on head to head from both these teams right!

Wolves

Chelsea
Won both ties
It's points
Goal diffo
Goals scored.

Then the head to head thing.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Wolves

Chelsea
Won both ties
not quite. It'd need to be same points, same goal diff, then goals scored, then head to head iirc. Chances of it coming down to head to head are incredibly slim, if at all.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Thats my prediction, too. And City remain banned for a year

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’ve said it a few times but we’ve got a favourable run in with Leicester to be got at, Chelsea to be got at, potential for 5th to be good enough and if all fails in the league just 3 wins from Europa League glory. Ole has no excuses if we don’t make the CL next season now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The things about our hands or their hands is that United & Chelsea been inconsistent throughout their season while Leicester been dreadful in their last 15 league games. So you’ll expect lot of point dropped from these teams.

United’s inconsistent problem was always down to incapable breaking the low block teams. Lacking of quality in creating chances especially with Pogba being injured in almost the whole season.

However, unlike us, Chelsea & Leicester didn’t make any signing to solve their inconsistency problem, we made signings to give us help to find a solution and in additional we got Pogba back. Both Leicester & Chelsea didn’t improve their squad means they are likely still have the same problem with their inconsistency and even more problems Leicester fixtures aren’t even friendly at all.

Not saying we’ve solved the problem totally but at least with Pogba & Bruno, our team will be much better than before and we have much better chance to win games against the lower sides which coincidence that our remaining league games are against those lower sides. After the Spurs game, United not getting top 4 is only means that we have to blame ourself.

E-mal

Head to head is bullshit, at least for this season.

Alphabetical order is the only fair way to decide.
I hear you, I was thinking stadium capacity should be fairest way to decide.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Wolves

Chelsea
Won both ties
We didn’t beat Wolves, we drew twice in the league and beat them in the Fa Cup.

UpWithRivers

I dont really appreciate how Man City downed tools against Chelsea and probably the scousers will as well. Its a conspiracy I you!!!!

flappyjay

I dont really appreciate how Man City downed tools against Chelsea and probably the scousers will as well. Its a conspiracy I you!!!!
It irked me a bit but Leicester for me were always the target. I see Chelsea as our rival for 3rd.