Top 4 race 2016/17

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
wow mate! It is disappointing that you feel this way. Have you forgotten that Jose is picking up a team that was left behind by LVG, a man who suffered numerous injuries and had a saddened philosophy. Newspapers and Media always have questions and that's their job primarily but as a United fan, i think you know we are doing much better than last season. I know we have off games but that's because we are not taking our chances. It is too late for a title rush this season but keep faith in Jose. He loves winning and will decimate any team to get where he wants to. He has inherited a team that lacks confidence, he has introduced wonderful and confident lads in the summer and he has kept the whole team in shape. He's already making plans for the summer window and sold players to save some in the bank. He's doing very well. I mean he cannot get on the field and play, our players have to take responsibility and perform.
After the game i needed to blow off some steam (was expecting a win and had my money on United...) not fair, but it happened. In the end you do have a point there, some of my written drivel was over the top. It's been better than under LVG and Moyes, that's for sure.

Still, United bought 4 class players and despite some players having improved compared to last season (Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Carrick, Darmian) others have fallen behind (Martial, Smalling, Shaw, Schweinsteiger) and the future's not loking too bright when it comes to the likes of Blind and perhaps Mata. Rashford's development has arguably stalled.

I wasn't happy with the style of play in a lot of games this season, e.g. the last game against Scouse. Their team was there for the taking, but how many clear cut chances did United create?

The question is what did you expect before the season started? I thought we would mount a serious title challenge and most likely win the thing. Personally, i can't see the leaders Chelsea having a better squad player for player and after last season their mentality must have been rock bottom too. So i disagree with your assessment that Mourinho's doing very well so far, as aformentioned he's no doubt been better than the former two coaches but taking the 4 new acquisitions into consideration (tbf all of them have been a success story) i and most people expected us to be in a far better position this time around the year.

But Mourinho should be given another season, even without reaching top 4 which would still be a huge disappointment. Mourinho build his reputation on winning no matter what, that's what you'd expect to get when you hire him, so you get my disappointment after the Liverpool game. These are the games you expect him to win. Maybe he set the bar too high...most likely make or break next season.

We can still reach top 4 and win 0-3 cups, but next season i want us to challenge for the league with the quality we have around.

unitedforeveral

After the game i needed to blow off some steam (was expecting a win and had my money on United...) not fair, but it happened. In the end you do have a point there, some of my written drivel was over the top. It's been better than under LVG and Moyes, that's for sure.

Still, United bought 4 class players and despite some players having improved compared to last season (Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Carrick, Darmian) others have fallen behind (Martial, Smalling, Shaw, Schweinsteiger) and the future's not loking too bright when it comes to the likes of Blind and perhaps Mata. Rashford's development has arguably stalled.

I wasn't happy with the style of play in a lot of games this season, e.g. the last game against Scouse. Their team was there for the taking, but how many clear cut chances did United create?

The question is what did you expect before the season started? I thought we would mount a serious title challenge and most likely win the thing. Personally, i can't see the leaders Chelsea having a better squad player for player and after last season their mentality must have been rock bottom too. So i disagree with your assessment that Mourinho's doing very well so far, as aformentioned he's no doubt been better than the former two coaches but taking the 4 new acquisitions into consideration (tbf all of them have been a success story) i and most people expected us to be in a far better position this time around the year.

But Mourinho should be given another season, even without reaching top 4 which would still be a huge disappointment. Mourinho build his reputation on winning no matter what, that's what you'd expect to get when you hire him, so you get my disappointment after the Liverpool game. These are the games you expect him to win. Maybe he set the bar too high...most likely make or break next season.

We can still reach top 4 and win 0-3 cups, but next season i want us to challenge for the league with the quality we have around.
I totally agree but when i'm talking about Jose and United, i mean the pressure on our team is higher than that of Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal. We have fans now who are not happy with Jose but majority of the fans are happy. I'll side with you regarding the game against the Scousers, it was ridiculous and slow. It's been so for many matches this season but still i think we can improve.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Can we say Liverpool are the weakest team atm? I thought it was City, but man, Klopp's team are just going through a big crisis.

doodle

What happens if the winner of the Europa has already qualifed for the CL through his own league?

Pumplex

Liverpool falling out of the two cups will now be a disadvantage to us trying to push top 4.

They only have the Prem to focus on now, 1 game per week right up to the end of the season.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Liverpool falling out of the two cups will now be a disadvantage to us trying to push top 4.

They only have the Prem to focus on now, 1 game per week right up to the end of the season.
From a fitness stand point it's fine but right now they're a mess and look short of confidence. They play Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham in the next few games they will not win all of them and could easily be 6th at the end of that spell.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
For Mou's own sanity he's gotta be absolutely desperate for a top 4 place. He bitches and eeping lay every press conference about fixture congestion so another season in the Europa League would surely infuriate him.

Would be hilarious to see from my perspective.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Where does the place go then? Surely they must have a fixed number of spots available?
Maximum of 5 teams from one country. If tottenham wins the EL and finishes 2nd, that's one CL spot more for the lower leagues

Boycott

1. Chelsea
  2. Spurs
  3. Arsenal
  4. Utd
That's my prediction at this point. Liverpool's coming fixtures ordinarily is difficult - in this form I can't see an upturn.

City are slipping up too often. They waste too many chances and their defence and keeper aren't good enough to save them.

Pumplex

1. Chelsea
  2. Spurs
  3. Arsenal
  4. Utd
That's my prediction at this point. Liverpool's coming fixtures ordinarily is difficult - in this form I can't see an upturn.

City are slipping up too often. They waste too many chances and their defence and keeper aren't good enough to save them.
I have a sneaky suspicion that Jesus will hit the ground running and give their attack some much needed variety and confidence. I hope not, but it could be enough to push them into the top 4.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I have a sneaky suspicion that Jesus will hit the ground running and give their attack some much needed variety and confidence. I hope not, but it could be enough to push them into the top 4.
Same here actually, although I don't like to admit it. Their defense does remain suspect at best though, but now with Kompany things could change.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
  1. Chelsea
  2. Spurs
  3. Arsenal
  4. Utd

Sane appears to be over his injuries and initial problems in moving to the UK and adds so much to us, I'm probably more excited about him than I am about Jesus who in a cameo appearance and one full game has given us a different attacking dimension and should hopefully get Aguero to just up his game the level or so he's more than capable off.

Add into the fact that Kompany is now fit (again) that should help our defense. The last injury was a bit of a freak injury and nothing to do with the usual muscle injuries so hoping that he can get through till the end of the season.

We've apparently been crap for months (but that's a press and rivals fan narrative) when in fact we've been playing pretty well for the most part but either not taking chances or not really getting the rub of the green with ref decisions.

Not saying we'll definitely make the top 4 but I'd be surprised if we didn't. United have been on a 16 or 17 game unbeaten run (all comps.) and are still outside the top 4, think it'll be harder for you once the EL starts again than it will with us in the CL.

next 5 pl fixtures for us

West Ham (A)
Swansea City (H)
Bornemouth (A)
Sunderland (A)
Stoke City (H)

I'd expect us to get at least 12 or 13 points from that lot, that should see us back in the top 4 before playing Liverpool and Arsenal.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Can we say Liverpool are the weakest team atm? I thought it was City, but man, Klopp's team are just going through a big crisis.
Maybe but they still got a valuable point away at United and they have been but they're getting Mane back for the remainder of the season. Every team will have drops in form. Liverpool's next month will be testing for them though.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe but they still got a valuable point away at United and they have been but they're getting Mane back for the remainder of the season. Every team will have drops in form. Liverpool's next month will be testing for them though.
At least their drop in form has come before ours ;) :D

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

next 5 pl fixtures for us

West Ham (A)
Swansea City (H)
Bornemouth (A)
Sunderland (A)
Stoke City (H)

I'd expect us to get at least 12 or 13 points from that lot, that should see us back in the top 4 before playing Liverpool and Arsenal.
Don't know about you but four of those five teams send shudders down my spine. And the 5th sends shudders down Utd fans' spines.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
I think City will finally string wins together again with the return of Sane, Kompany, arrival of Gabriel Jesus & Pep apparently dropping Bravo.

stevieg4ever

Supports
Liverpool
Tonight's game is massive, more or less a season breaker. We haven't had the rub of the green when it has come to decisions recently but that's no excuse; we have been horrendous against rank average sides, at home as well.

We have missed Mane but equally Coutinho and Matip too. With them three and Henderson back together our fortunes will surely get better. We have a good record against the top sides; Chelsea will hopefully play an open and expansive game, then again they may not, might just sit back and soak up the pressure.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Tonight's game is massive, more or less a season breaker. We haven't had the rub of the green when it has come to decisions recently but that's no excuse; we have been horrendous against rank average sides, at home as well.

We have missed Mane but equally Coutinho and Matip too. With them three and Henderson back together our fortunes will surely get better. We have a good record against the top sides; Chelsea will hopefully play an open and expansive game, then again they may not, might just sit back and soak up the pressure.
We will surely not play an open again. We were sitting vs City away and will do it again.

IrishRedDevil

There is absolutely no way Chelsea will play 'open and expansive'. They will sit back, soak up pressure and hit you on the break with the pace of Hazard/Pedro/Costa. Liverpool have been average in attack recently and Chelsea will be waiting to counterattack.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal

Because they're coming back to fitness/tired I'm picking Chelsea, hopefully you pull if off for the rest of us though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I can't see anything other than a comfortable Chelsea win tbh.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

Conte is not like this.

Member 90887

Win tomorrow would put us two points behind fourth - the closest we'll have been to fourth since game 6 when we were one point behind. Good stuff.
Well not just 2 points behind 4th, also 3 points behind 2nd ....

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
What a night. In a season where the teams above us seem to have had a knack for not dropping points in games they shouldn't, tonight is really special. Better win tomorrow now.