Top Four Race 2018/19

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Wow, you guys are really in it now! I had written you off completely in December, based on past season data and your form, but you're back in it.

Mick321

We've got a great chance now, we *should* do it from here, feels like we have the most momentum and Chelsea look like they are doing the usual of not even trying if they aren't in a title race. But in a week where City lost to Newcastle, we couldn't beat Burnley, Chelsea lost 4-0 to an average side and the scousers couldn't beat Leicester I'm taking nothing for granted! :lol: Strange shit can happen and Europe could play a part yet, we could get through and have two brutal derbies or games v Liverpool to contend with in the latter rounds, who knows.

Wheato

If City beat Arsenal and Chelsea at home, and we beat Leicester/Fulham, then we will be in 4th spot when we play Liverpool at home on the 24th. It's almost like if City do us the favour, then we should scupper the scousers title hopes. Not that we won't be trying to do that anyway.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
The Burnley game may just turn out to be a blessing. Everything's going well, winning game after game, the players maybe just got a little complacent. All teams have to be on it every game in this league and the result will hopefully drive them on for the rest of the season.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I can see us (Chelsea) finishing 5th or 6th the way things are going, we struggle massively against any team that sits back against us and lets us have the ball. Zero fluidity in attack, and don't create any clear chances. Realistically need to win the Europa if we want champions league. Unless Sarri figures out how to get us playing again and changes tactics, style of play and lineup.

Wouldn't be surprised if we struggle to create anything against Huddersfield on Saturday but then play well in the games against City, Spurs, Utd etc.

peridigm

Hopefully this does not turn out like the 16/17 season where we had every opportunity to finish in top 4 but lose on GD.

Then again, we won EL that year. CL this year would do just fine.

Raw

Hopefully this does not turn out like the 16/17 season where we had every opportunity to finish in top 4 but lose on GD.

Then again, we won EL that year. CL this year would do just fine.
We finished 7 points behind 4th in 16/17. You're thinking about 15/16 where we lost out on GD to Man City.

Lam

Thought we'll slip up when we play Leicester. Can't believe we lost an opportunity to get even on points for 4th. That too against Burnley. At home.

Have to win the next 3.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea don't look like they'll finish top four.

I think it'll be United but it's still hard to call.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Remember that nutter banging on about Chelsea being a much better team than United, and that our only hope was to catch Spurs? :lol:

As I said, we’ll be four to six points ahead of Chelsea when we face them at Old Trafford.

Bummer about the Spurs turnaround yesterday. That should give them a big boost, and puts some distance between them and the rest of the pack. Still believe that we’ll get third, but not much wiggle room.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully Chelsea continue to struggle and fall out of the picture. We'll have to see how they respond to this rut.

Right now Arsenal and us appear to be the most likely, and it can obviously go either way.

Spurs' have done really well to ward off any pressure over the last two games.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs getting away with it, was hoping they would drop some points. Once Kane and Alli return from injury will be very difficult to catch. Wanyama, Lamela, Sissoko and Dier have all just returned from injury as well for them, makes the midfield look a lot more solid with Sissoko, Dier, Wanyama all available.

Chelsea tough to predict, they did over a weakened Spurs squad but have been, for me, hit and miss, it's hard to put a finger on what exactly is amiss at Chelsea. They were cruising and then as soon as teams dedicated a player to shutting down Jorginho it's like the wheels have fallen off.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
United will get fourth.

Chelsea are completely inept. 68% possession and couldn't score a goal (and conceded 4) against Bournemouth, that's some echoes of LVG or even AVB right there. Pointless possession football with no penetration.

People will talk about Guardiola's struggles in his first season, but you could see they were dangerous going forward at least, most of the issues lay in their poor defensive personnel. They never looked anywhere close to this dull or ineffective, sure that may be improved if Sarri was to bring in another goal scoring wide man/midfielder, but to me it just looks like his tactical vision simply hasn't bedded in at Chelsea like it did at Napoli, and as he gets frustrated and angry at the squads failure to play the way he wants, he'll just make things worse.

Arsenal are just terrible, I don't care that they're 4th right now. I watched them against Cardiff and first half they were outplayed, Cardiff got in behind multiple times but lacked any quality in the final third. Even in the second half Arsenal were stale, needed a penalty to get the breakthrough against one of the worst sides in the league at home. They'll get ripped to shreds by City next weekend.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Really interesting to see how Chelsea react, particularly after that defeat and the scale of it - and by "Chelsea", I of course mean Hazard; hopefully he's entered into one of his phases were he doesn't seem bothered at all, that gives the rest of us a great chance.

We must beat Leicester at the weekend regardless, but that City-Arsenal fixture makes it even more valuable.

BigBebe

Has Ed Woodward given up on us getting a top 4 place? Our competition for 4th place, Arsenal and Chelsea have both made signings to try and them over the line. We have done nothing despite some glaring deficiencies in our squad.

It is complacent to rely on the 'Ole bounce' to see us through for the rest of the season. What are we waiting for?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Guess Chelsea are playing the worst team in the league but they seem to actually have a proper goalscorer now which will make the difference later in the season now they're no longer relying on just Hazard to score.

Thinking it'll be:

4th: Chelsea
5th: United
6th: Arsenal

But hope I'm wrong.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Remaining league fixtures v the top 6

Chelsea:
Man City (a)
Spurs (h)
Liverpool (a)
Man Utd (a)

Arsenal:
Man City (a)
Spurs (a)
Man Utd (h)

Man Utd:
Liverpool (h)
Arsenal (a)
Man City (h)
Chelsea (h)

We do play both Arsenal and Chelsea so need to do well in those fixtures really - especially with us playing both the top 2 as well... at least for those we are at home whereas Chelsea will be away.

Judas

Open to offers
Although the games against each other are important, it’s against all the other teams that hold a lot of weight. We need to take care of business against everyone else, no more taking teams lightly like on Tuesday.

peridigm

If I have this right, City win their next two, and we win our next two, we're 1 point above Chelsea and Arsenal in 4th.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Transfer window may have taken it away from us. Both main competition had clear issues and both did something to try and eradicate them in the window (more so Chelsea). If these signings work, will be hard for us.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Taken it away from us how? That statement would have made sense if we were still over 5-8 points behind top 4 which isn't the case anymore. Right now everything is in our own hands which is the ideal scenario. We're still to play both Arsenal and Chelsea.

Chelsea finally get a decent result after a while and now people are once again waving the white flag. What did people expect? Chelsea to only drop points without ever winning anymore games.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Some drama queens about

United did the right thing NOT signing players now

Sanchez may do ok eventually for us but it was a bad signing last January & threw things out of shape then. We have a squad more than capable of coming 4th

Arsenal & Chelsea have deeper problems for me

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We're fifth going on fourth, Chelsea should be very worried :wenger:
They should be.

It seemed it wasn't even remotely possible that we would catch them after the Liverpool game and now it down to 2 points.

marktan

Chelsea face City next sunday, big opportunity for us to stake a claim for top 4 if City do us a favour.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Clawed back an 11 point gap with Arsenal in less than two months.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea face City next sunday, big opportunity for us to stake a claim for top 4 if City do us a favour.
Man. United should be 4th this time next weekend. Win at Fulham and Chelsea losing at Man. City seems pretty logical to me.

It will be nip and tuck next few weeks. Man. United get 4th and then probably draw with Liverpool so chance for Arsenal and Chelsea to make up ground. We also have europe starting up again which could mean more dropped points in the league.