Top Four Race 2018/19

Kapardin

Game not yet over but a win should pile pressure on the smoking chimney going into the City game and we need our new BFFs to get the win for also keeping the top spot over Liverpool.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We are officially in the top four for the first time this season.

@duffer who thought United had no chance of catching Chelsea.

Write us off at your peril.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure what’s so special about Chelsea this season. They’re bang average.
people say that about us often, and more often than not we win something or get top4 bar that one dreadful season under Jose.

If anyone gets written off far too soon, its us

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So we are in top 4.

one goal scored less than spurs and 8 goals less than Liverpool , both of them having the best seasons ever and we are coming back off a worst 6 months since Fergie retired.

Had we sacked him bit earlier , we would be in the title race now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hugely intriguing top 4 race now. Lots of twists and turns to come.

I actually think Arsenal could be 4th going into last ten, they have home games against Bournemouth and Southampton which are very winnable and think Man. United-Liverpool will be draw and and Chelsea will draw with Spurs (and lose tomorrow).

All teams have their strengths and flaws. Europa league will also play a part.

LordNinio

I actually think Arsenal could be 4th going into last ten, they have home games against Bournemouth and Southampton which are very winnable and think Man. United-Liverpool will be draw and and Chelsea will draw with Spurs (and lose tomorrow).

Yes, we could easily find ourselves 6th again after the Liverpool game, but it's likely to be tight between the three teams, at least for the next few weeks.

It's just incredible we're even in contention so soon, to be honest.

Vadim

@duffer is a nice guy but a little deluded when it comes to the renties.

Can’t blame him though that’s his team.

I think 4th will be tough for Utd because Arsenal have some nice fixtures. Will be interesting.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Eh? I posted this in January...

Nobody has written you off from the top four.

A few people have doubts but that's not the same.
I didn't (and don't) think you will finish above us but I think you might be confusing me with someone else because I've never said you have no chance.

You'll eventually play a decent team and will drop some more points.;)

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I have Man City and Liverpool both finishing on 95 points, with City winning on goal difference. Hopefully we beat the dippers and 'lose' to Man City to make up the 3 point gap :angel:

Canagel

Not sure what’s so special about Chelsea this season. They’re bang average.
The addition of Higuain gives them a different dimension. without a new striker I would've been even more confident but less so now.

Shark

@NotShark
The addition of Higuain gives them a different dimension. without a new striker I would've been even more confident but less so now.

We have Pogba, Rashford and Martial firing in all cylinders, so not too worried about a 31 year old who’s so far scored against fodder. Not denying he’s a boost bit still not enough of a boost to claim 4th. Hazard is still the major difference for me if there is to be one.

peridigm

Arsenal or Chelsea could go all the way to the final in EL. Might cause one or the other to slack off in the league.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Back to 8 (plus 1 more point for GD) which gives scale of the task for Man. United.

It's still between Chelsea and Arsenal imo.
Fingers crossed this is consistent! But I agree twists and turns to come for sure.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fingers crossed this is consistent! But I agree twists and turns to come for sure.
Haha. Well I did say to be serious about top 4 back in December Man. United needed to do an Arsenal and win 7 straight prem games to be properly in contention and you've only gone and blown the bloody doors off.......

meamth

Surprised we haven't got the thread for "We've caught up with 9-11 points before".

Top 4? feck that, we're aiming for the league now.

Havak

Pokemon master
Surprised we haven't got the thread for "We've caught up with 9-11 points before".

Top 4? feck that, we're aiming for the league now.
Nah, we were killed off last year. 4th would be a huge accomplishment under the circumstances.

We could win every match and still finish 3rd IMO, but we won't do that. I think we'll probably finish on under 80 points realistically.

The teams that can get 8 or 9 wins from this run-in will be the ones to achieve their goal(s).

In Rainbows

I remember that thread and people hopeful we could get top 4. Probably for the wrong reasons as they were arguing for that in opposition to the Ole caretaker decision, but they were right in one respect. Top 4 isn't being delusional at all. All of us were wrong about that part.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Only Spurs are the surprised inclusion in the top four. With the squad at the disposal, United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool should be the top four.

It is hard to see Chelsea or Arsenal making top four. Chelsea are incredibly inconsistent and Arsenal doesn’t have a great squad compared to their competitors. However, United still have a few tough fixtures to go and if we perform like we did against Pochettino, we may lose out on this spot.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea will lose at Old Trafford and Anfield, draw v Spurs. Dunno how many points they'll get in other games but they will struggle if they expected target for 4th is 75 points.

Need to concentrate on europa.

Djemba-Djemba

It's astonishing we're in 4th this quickly after Ole took over.

I had given up on top 4 after the Liverpool game.

Look at the goal difference now too!

prateik

As it stands.. ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal on points an GD.

Didn't expect us to make up that GD gap. This is crazy

Raw

As it stands.. ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal on points an GD.

Didn't expect us to make up that GD gap. This is crazy
GD isn't higher than Chelsea's just yet, it's level on +17.

We are further ahead on goals scored though, we have 7 more. Shows how horrible our defence was under Mourinho :mad:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
GD isn't higher than Chelsea's just yet, it's level on +17.

We are further ahead on goals scored though, we have 7 more. Shows how horrible our defence was under Mourinho :mad:
Were you even in positive GD when you sacked Mourinho? I remember for most of the season under him you had minus GD.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Were you even in positive GD when you sacked Mourinho? I remember for most of the season under him you had minus GD.
I believe we were on 0

Just another astonishing achievement by the side since Ole took over

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our goal difference was zero when Ole came...zero. Chelsea and Arsenal have been asleep at the wheel.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
We were definitely on negative goal difference, I remember well. What an amazing turnaround. Odds to even make top 4 was as high as 7/1 or something back then.

Djemba-Djemba

Even someone as arrogant and narcissistic as Mourinho must be embarrassed at what's happened since he was sacked?

He looks worse every week.