Top Four Race 2018/19

Our fixture list looks like hell.Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal,City still to play alongside tough away fixtures at Wolves and Palace.
We've done great recently but I cant see a top 4 finish.

rotherham_red

Haven't we like 4 games in a row thick and fast after those fixtures? Like 3 and 4 days rest between them.
Yeah, but the only tough games in that run will be PSG and Arsenal away, the rest (Palace, Southampton) should be manageable with the squad that we have.

Trizy

Yeah, but the only tough games in that run will be PSG and Arsenal away, the rest (Palace, Southampton) should be manageable with the squad that we have.
Palace recently beat City, Chelsea and nearly beat Liverpool though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Potential banana skins all over the place tbh

Liverpool - been almost faultless this season
Palace - always a tough away game
Southampton - have become a bit of an arsehole of a game at home (0-0 draw last season, back to back defeats under LVG)
Arsenal - already beat them on their own ground once already this season
City - best team in the country
Wolves - best of the rest and game raising feckers
Everton - always a tough away game
Chelsea - may have sorted their shit out by the time we play them

That only really leaves 4 games that you look at and think they'll be comfortable

Big tests for the team to prove they're as good as we think they are
Don't West Ham have a decent record at OT in recent years? There are hit and miss as a team but have some dangerous players upfront so could add that to the skins.

Shark

@NotShark
Our fixture list looks like hell.Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal,City still to play alongside tough away fixtures at Wolves and Palace.
You think we’ll lose them all then and our rivals will win every one of their games? You have to take one at a time, I expect us to beat Liverpool and Chelsea at least. Arsenal will he there for the taking too, as usual.

Ainu

On current form, I would fancy us against most teams at home. Certainly against a team like Chelsea. Chelsea themselves look like dropping points against any half-decent side away from home, so they could easily drop points against all of Liverpool, Everton, Leicester and us. I also fancy us against Arsenal at the Emirates, we've done them on their pitch time and time again. It'll be a challenge but you're seriously lacking any sort of faith if you can't see a top 4 finish with the way we're playing at the moment.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Think 76 points should be enough to finish 4th, as us, you and Chelsea have some though games coming up so everyone will probably drop points.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So I've decided to waste my lunch time at work trying to work out who has the most difficult run in from the top 4.

I've gone with the very scientific method of assigning a difficulty rating for fixtures out of 5 that both a) hasn't been stolen from Fantasy PL and b) is completely 100% based on science fact and not on my opinion alone.

Chelsea

Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur 5
Fulham v Chelsea 2
Chelsea v Wolverhampton Wanderers 2
Everton v Chelsea 3
Cardiff City v Chelsea 1
Chelsea v West Ham United 2
Liverpool v Chelsea 5
Chelsea v Burnley 1
Manchester United v Chelsea 5
Chelsea v Watford 2
Leicester City v Chelsea 3
Chelsea v Brighton & Hove Albion 1

Difficulty - 32

Arsenal

Arsenal v Southampton 1
Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth 1
Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal 5
Arsenal v Manchester United 4
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal 3
Arsenal v Newcastle United 1
Everton v Arsenal 3
Watford v Arsenal 3
Arsenal v Crystal Palace 2
Leicester City v Arsenal 3
Arsenal v Brighton & Hove Albion 1
Burnley v Arsenal 2

Difficulty - 29

Man Utd

Manchester United v Liverpool 5
Crystal Palace v Manchester United 2
Manchester United v Southampton 1
Arsenal v Manchester United 5
Manchester United v Manchester City 5
Manchester United v Watford 2
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United 3
Manchester United v West Ham United 2
Everton v Manchester United 3
Manchester United v Chelsea 4
Huddersfield Town v Manchester United 1
Manchester United v Cardiff City 1

Difficulty - 34

Pretty close, but Arsenal have the nicest run-in of the lot. We definitely have to avoid defeat at their place, and hope that their tricky run of fixtures between Everton and Leicester drops them some points.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
So I've decided to waste my lunch time at work trying to work out who has the most difficult run in from the top 4.

I've gone with the very scientific method of assigning a difficulty rating for fixtures out of 5 that both a) hasn't been stolen from Fantasy PL and b) is completely 100% based on science fact and not on my opinion alone.

Chelsea

Fulham v Chelsea 2
Everton v Chelsea 3
Cardiff City v Chelsea 1
Liverpool v Chelsea 5
Chelsea v Burnley 1
Chelsea v Watford 2

Difficulty - 32

Pretty close, but Arsenal have the nicest run-in of the lot. We definitely have to avoid defeat at their place, and hope that their tricky run of fixtures between Everton and Leicester drops them some points.

Just looking at this one and it seems a bit off.

Fulham away (a doomed side, let's be fair) as difficult a fixture as Wolves at home? We lost to Wolves at home, Chelsea lost away, they give the big six a game. Cardiff away easier than Fulham away as well? Based on what?

Sorry, I'm being too critical :lol: other than that it seems fine, although maybe Everton away these days is a 2 due to their horrible home record.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Don't West Ham have a decent record at OT in recent years? There are hit and miss as a team but have some dangerous players upfront so could add that to the skins.
Last time they beat us at OT, Solskjaer started the match. They did get a draw in 2015. They will be tough and can't really underestimate them like Burnley.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Chelsea

Fulham v Chelsea 2
Everton v Chelsea 3
Cardiff City v Chelsea 1
Liverpool v Chelsea 5
Chelsea v Burnley 1
Chelsea v Watford 2

Difficulty - 32

Arsenal

Arsenal v Southampton 1
Everton v Arsenal 3
Watford v Arsenal 3
Burnley v Arsenal 2

Difficulty - 29

Man Utd

Difficulty - 34

Chelsea

Fulham v Chelsea 2
Everton v Chelsea 3
Cardiff City v Chelsea 1
Liverpool v Chelsea 5
Chelsea v Burnley 1
Chelsea v Watford 2

Difficulty - 32

Arsenal

Arsenal v Southampton 1
Everton v Arsenal 3
Watford v Arsenal 3
Burnley v Arsenal 2

Difficulty - 29

Man Utd

Difficulty - 34

I'd argue you also have to take into account the form of United, Chelsea & Arsenal when considering the difficulty rating. United might find Everton away easier than Arsenal or Chelsea based on current form for example.

I'm probably over thinking it though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just looking at this one and it seems a bit off.

Fulham away (a doomed side, let's be fair) as difficult a fixture as Wolves at home? We lost to Wolves at home, Chelsea lost away, they give the big six a game. Cardiff away easier than Fulham away as well? Based on what?

Sorry, I'm being too critical :lol: other than that it seems fine, although maybe Everton away these days is a 2 due to their horrible home record.
Just based on it being a derby really.

Same way say Leeds away would be tougher for us next season, even if they were as bad as Fulham are

Trizy

@Annihilate Now! I'd have Wolves as a 4 rating personally but it won't affect the difficult ratings overall because each would increase by +1.

Trizy

Where's the positivity! We're going to finish 3rd!
To be fair going by the fixtures list we're less likely to make it on paper. Good thing football isn't just about what's on paper though and Arsenal and Chelsea are in terrible form. Time will tell but I for one am holding back on the ''top 4 secure'' comments until its mathematically sealed.

Canagel

I still think we can get 3rd. We're only 9 points behind spurs and they have tendency of bottling in the big away games. Etihad, Stamford Bridge and Anfield still to come. Weve got big games but mostly with home advantage .
But I'll settle for 4th from where we were in December .

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I still think we can get 3rd. We're only 9 points behind spurs and they have tendency of bottling in the big away games. Etihad, Stamford Bridge and Anfield still to come. Weve got big games but mostly with home advantage .
But I'll settle for 4th from where we were in December .
No offense mate, but I think what you mean to say is losing in the big away games. Not sure what bottling got to do with losing away to City, Liverpool or Chelsea. Anyway, we did beat Chelsea last year at Stamford Bridge, and we might do so again if their form continue like this.

In addition, what's the away record of the top 6? Arsenal haven't won an away game against the top 6 in 5 years from what I heard, not sure what the other teams record is, but I'd imagine that it isn't great, perhaps except City who seem to win most of the big games home and away, and Liverpool who have been a team who won against good sides and lost against bad sides until recently.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Luckily we have PSG and Chelsea in the meantime.

This season has turned into one of the most exciting in a long time, after looking so bleak in December.
Challenging for the top 4 is exciting now? How the mighty have fallen :drool:

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Yet this is a top 4 thread, and getting the top 4 is what I've seen most excitement about on this forum lately. I think Mogget hits the nail on the head tbh.

El Presidente

Yet this is a top 4 thread, and getting the top 4 is what I've seen most excitement about on this forum lately. I think Mogget hits the nail on the head tbh.
Personally I'm very invested in the Top 4 battle because I think it would be disastrous for Man United to miss the CL. Or, at least, it would have been a while ago with the Martial, De Gea contract situation and Pogba's uncertain future. Furthermore, the squad needs serious investment this summer and the prospect of Europa League football wouldn't help at all.

But, for most, the excitement comes from the fact that this club finally wins, entertains, is on a huge run and everyone wants to see where this would take us. Sure, 4th place doesn't give you a trophy, but for those of us who see the bigger picture, there really is excitement about the future.

Thisistheone

Yeah but it was looking like our worst season, maybe of the PL era. Until Ole came in. Top 4 looked gone, which was a disaster & PSG looked impossible.

Not to mention our then manager had us playing shit football & could have forced out the likes of Pogba and Martial.

Thisistheone

Personally I'm very invested in the Top 4 battle because I think it would be disastrous for Man United to miss the CL. Or, at least, it would have been a while ago with the Martial, De Gea contract situation and Pogba's uncertain future. Furthermore, the squad needs serious investment this summer and the prospect of Europa League football wouldn't help at all.

But, for most, the excitement comes from the fact that this club finally wins, entertains, is on a huge run and everyone wants to see where this would take us. Sure, 4th place doesn't give you a trophy, but for those of us who see the bigger picture, there really is excitement about the future.
Yeah, pretty much.

Also funny that last season, where we spent the whole time comfortably in 2nd place, was far less exciting than what this season now holds in store, imo anyway.

Suedesi

Next five league games (four for Chelsea as their game against Brighton is to be rearranged):

Man Utd (51/+17)
Liverpool (H)
Crystal Palace (A)
Southampton (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man City (H)

Arsenal (50/+16)

Southampton (H)
Bournemouth (H)
Spurs (A)
Man Utd (H)
Wolves (A)

Chelsea (50/+16)

Spurs (H)
Fulham (A)
Wolves (H)
Everton (A)

Tough set for us but I'm optimistic we can do well against Liverpool and Arsenal.
When do we play Chelsea at OT? That's going to be the crucial six-pointer in my opinion.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
When do we play Chelsea at OT? That's going to be the crucial six-pointer in my opinion.
Currently down as 27th April (MD36) but that'll probably change when the televised matches are announced. Our last two matches are Huddersfield away and Cardiff at home, Chelsea are home to Watford and away to Leicester with Arsenal at home to Brighton and away to Burnley. Chelsea definitely have the hardest last few matches.

Shark

@NotShark
Yeah, pretty much.

Also funny that last season, where we spent the whole time comfortably in 2nd place, was far less exciting than what this season now holds in store, imo anyway.
Last season was fairly crap. I know we finished 2nd but it seemed like every goal we scored was either jammy, ugly or the result of awful defending. It was a chore of a season and you didn’t know what team was going to come out or how we were going to play. No real standout memories aside from the City comeback and maybe a few other moments.

I’d much rather where we are now, smashing teams with genuinely good football and brilliance, not the plucky underdogs.

Suedesi

Currently down as 27th April (MD36) but that'll probably change when the televised matches are announced. Our last two matches are Huddersfield away and Cardiff at home, Chelsea are home to Watford and away to Leicester with Arsenal at home to Brighton and away to Burnley. Chelsea definitely have the hardest last few matches.
Got it, lots of things could change between now and then.

mu4c_20le

I think you spurs fans should worry more about winning silverware than hitting nails but thats just me. We're fighting for top 4 but still won more trophies in our worst years. Except for, of course, your 'almost won it from leicester' trophy.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Chelsea

Fulham v Chelsea 2
Everton v Chelsea 3
Cardiff City v Chelsea 1
Liverpool v Chelsea 5
Chelsea v Burnley 1
Chelsea v Watford 2

Difficulty - 32

Arsenal

Arsenal v Southampton 1
Everton v Arsenal 3
Watford v Arsenal 3
Burnley v Arsenal 2

Difficulty - 29

Man Utd

Difficulty - 34

Arsenal would drop a lot of points in their 3s which are all aways

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
A win tomorrow (Surely not easy) and we are just 6 points away from Tottenham

+

Our next two games
Crystal Palace A
Southampton H

Tottenham's next two games
Chelsea A
Arsenal H

So should we win against Crystal Palace and Southampton too = We are much closer to Tottenham next Saturday afternoon or Tottenham will help us to get further away from Chelsea and Arsenal

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Shame we have Pool tomorrow. Our games are never about form. You just never know who will win.

If we can do it though, Spurs will start looking over their shoulders imo.

deafepl

If we win the game tomorrow, we'd be 8 points ahead of second place in Ole's table. fecking hell. Sometimes I wonder how it could have looked if Ole replaced Jose in August or after Newcastle when we make comeback win that deny our sacking of Jose