Top Four Race 2018/19

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If we dont make top 4 that's on Ole just as much as it is on Mourinho. Ole got us into a position whereby we were ahead of the likes of Arsenal so harsh as it may be it's largely irrelevant what happened before him
It’s the worst logic in the world, of course it is relevant what happened before.

If it wasn’t for Jose getting us 10 or so points behind top 4 halfway through season we would not have any trouble making top 4 and a couple of defeats in the last 10 games wouldn’t have a disastrous effect.

Paul_Scholes18

It’s the worst logic in the world, of course it is relevant what happened before.
Us dropping form near the end is due to Ole though. The bad start and squad is on Mourinho. I think we have played well both against Arsenal and Wolves though so hard to blame him for it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Us dropping form near the end is due to Ole though. The bad start and squad is on Mourinho. I think we have played well both against Arsenal and Wolves though so hard to blame him for it.
Well we were bound to drop off sometime. Normally it wouldn’t have cost us top 4 but because Jose gave us a -10 point handicap the chances are it will.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I never normally explain my posts but it's a quote from a great man about how, just because lots of people do something, it does not mean they're not all wrong.
I found the clip online. There's a bit of difference between football club nickname conventions and politics, no?

Pfmpd

Supports
Liverpool
Do united fans still want to get beat by city?

Pfmpd

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, we aren't getting top 4 anyway :)
United are more than capable of beating City and getting top 4. Although I think you will now have to beat City for top 4. Extremely tight in the run in.

Pretty good end to a season for top 4.

Canagel

I'm kind of coming to the realization and acceptin the possibility we aren't making it. For a good few months as we were closing the gap rapidly I felt very confident . We may have left ourself with too much to do. Like a Marathon we started about an hour after everyone else , then spent the next phase sprinting to catch up leaving us with no energy for the final stretch. Bad form at the worst time but like I said many times if we don't make it it's because of our first half of a season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s still possible, but not probable. I thought tonight was our second toughest game in the run in though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we dont make top 4 that's on Ole just as much as it is on Mourinho. Ole got us into a position whereby we were ahead of the likes of Arsenal so harsh as it may be it's largely irrelevant what happened before him
:houllier:
What a ridiculous post. Ignore the fact that the form table since Ole has taken over (15 games at this point) has us top of the table. Ignore that Ole had basically a -10 point handicap over the rest. Ignore that he took over half way through a season and hasn't had a chance to make his own signings.

For an example of a manager taking over a team part way through the season... Klopp took over Liverpool in early October of 2015/16. They finished 8th that year. Then 4th 2 years in a row. Now title challenge. So yeah. It's absolutely insane to say missing out on top 4 is in any way on Ole. Getting in with a sniff of it is what is down to Ole. Not quite making it, well that's just what tends to happen when you get 26 points from your first 17 games in the season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Stadium move couldn’t have come at a better time for Spurs as their recent results have plummeted and their actual performances have been diabolical. I think only Cardiff have worse expected points in their last five or six games. Palace are right shitters to have first up though.

Given Chelsea still have to go to Liverpool and United, I don’t see too many scenarios in which United beat Chelsea but finish behind them.

I’ve got no idea still either in how Arsenal will handle a run of away games.

ErranMorad

City, Liverpool & Spurs are nailed on for the top 3 spots. It's between Arse, us and Chelsea now. We would really need some help from other teams (and ourselves) to get the 4th spot. Arsenal have Everton and Watford away coming up, need them to feck up in both. Chelsea would hopefully lose to both Liverpool and us.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Chelsea I'm not worried about in the slightest. Hope for a shock in the spurs v palace game tonight and there is still a small chance we somehow crawl over the line.

iKnowNothing

While top 4 is still a mathematical probability, it's going to be tough for us to get there as we'll have to depend on other teams dropping points while we play some tough games in the run in.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looking at the remaining fixtures for the 4 teams.

Chelsea- 60 points, I'd expect them to win 5 of their remaining 7 games whilst losing to ourselves and Pool to finish on 75 points.

Spurs- 61 points, they have 5 home games left and you'd expect them to win at least 4 of them and drop points in one. They'll lose their game and City and beat Bournemouth away. It takes their total to 77 points.

Man Utd- 61 points, let's be optimistic and say we'll win 5 of our last 6 games and draw against City. That'll take us to 77 points.

Arsenal- 63 points, they are the wild card here with 5 away games left. I would expect them to win their 2 home games and the final away game to Burnley, who probably won't have much to play for on the final day of the season if they are safe by then. The remaining 4 are away games to Everton, Watford, Wolves and Leicester. They could conceivably drop points in all 4 with their away form this season. I'd say they win 1, lose 1 and draw 2 of these games. That takes their total to 77 points.

So it could come down to GD in the end and we have the worst one at the moment.:nervous:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
6 games left. If we somehow manage to catch 16 points which means that we beat Everton away and draw with City in a game where they need to win, will that be enough?

1) Spurs have really easy run( except City game) and i can't see game where they will lose points. 5 home games plus City and Bournemouth away. It is 16 points for them. Better GD than us. They will finish 3rd
2) Arsenal have Watford, Everton, Wolves, Burnley and Leicester away. Tough games but they have 2 points more than us, better GD and one game in hand. They can lose twice and still be better than us.
3) Chelsea. Away games against us and Liverpool plus Leicester. They are even in worse situation than us.

My hope is Spurs and us. My bet would be Spurs and Arsenal. If that happens, Wolves game is the game where we lost CL spot

Havak

Pokemon master
Huge ask now after last night, I'd say we need five wins and a draw from the remaining six games. Getting through West Ham & Everton will be tough with the Barcelona fixtures and suspensions/probable injuries, not to mention many of our players lacking any form of note. It's still very possible as I'm sure that the other three teams involved will drop points in at least two of their remaining games as well, but right now I'd say we are probably most likely to finish 5th. However, Spurs have to hit the ground running at the new stadium and Arsenal have to improve their poor away from. If either fail to do this then we're right back in it.

sugar_kane

We’ve no chance now

It’s no reflection on Ole, since he took over we’ve taken more points than anyone.

The task left by Jose was too big. We’re allowed to hit a dip in form but unfortunately that scenario didn’t allow for it.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Some of you are so bloody over dramatic.

You are 6 goal difference away from 4th and 2 points away from 3rd. How is it over or even necessarily that difficult from here?

It's essentially a 7 game mini league now where all 4 of the teams have shown themselves prone to dropping silly points.

Raw

You are 6 goal difference away from 4th and 2 points away from 3rd. How is it over or even necessarily that difficult from here?

It's essentially a 7 game mini league now where all 4 of the teams have shown themselves prone to dropping silly points.
It's mainly the games in hand that everyone around us has that are getting people worried. Chelsea could go 2 points ahead and Spurs 3 points ahead with home games they'll very likely be winning.

It's still marginal and we do still have a chance, but the way we've been playing lately has been woeful. If we get back to our early Ole performances we're very likely getting top 4.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's mainly the games in hand that everyone around us has that are getting people worried. Chelsea could go 2 points ahead and Spurs 3 points ahead with home games they'll very likely be winning.

It's still marginal and we do still have a chance, but the way we've been playing lately has been woeful. If we get back to our early Ole performances we're very likely getting top 4.
I get that. But even if the other 3 clubs win the game in hand, you'd be 5 and 3 points behind 3rd and 4th, not exactly insurmountable.

It's the end of the season too so you're getting some strange results currently too.

Man Utd have been playing poorly for a while, true. But so have Chelsea, who were a competent officiating team away from most likely losing vs Cardiff. We're currently in relegation form and put in some stinkers against Southampton and Burnley, though I guess we at least had a very good performance against Liverpool. Arsenal are playing well but don't have the best away form.

I genuinely think any of the 4 clubs could finish anywhere in the 3-6 positions.

dove

With 1 more game played than anyone else. Combine it with our crap form and remaining fixtures, I think it's very unlikely we will finish TOP 4.

Mike Smalling

If I had to make a bet, I would say we are not going to make top four now, but it is definitely not over either.

I think we are likely to finish above Chelsea, given that we still have to play them at Old Trafford, they have to go to Anfield and they are extremely unpredictable in terms of their performance and overly reliant on Hazard.
I don't think we will catch Arsenal - they seem to have picked up some confidence and don't have the most difficult run-in.
That leaves Spurs. They are in dreadful form in the league, but except for their trip to the Etihad do not have the most challenging run-in. Not looking good, but there is always the chances of them doing a Spurs.

None of the above matters if we can't sort out our own form, though.

NJM78

I never thought we would get top 4 even before the season started, then didn't change my mind after Ole came and we kept winning, not changing my mind now either.

Predict we will take 11 points from remaining 18 available and finish 6th.

Obviously I would love to be proved wrong.

hocane

1. Man City

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Tottenham

5. Chelsea

6 Man Utd

That's how i see it :( we seem to have picked up poor form at the worst possible time. 3 defeats in the last 4 games, players on low confidence now, i can only see it getting worse until next season.

Paul_Scholes18

If I had to make a bet, I would say we are not going to make top four now, but it is definitely not over either.

I think we are likely to finish above Chelsea, given that we still have to play them at Old Trafford, they have to go to Anfield and they are extremely unpredictable in terms of their performance and overly reliant on Hazard.
I don't think we will catch Arsenal - they seem to have picked up some confidence and don't have the most difficult run-in.
That leaves Spurs. They are in dreadful form in the league, but except for their trip to the Etihad do not have the most challenging run-in. Not looking good, but there is always the chances of them doing a Spurs.

None of the above matters if we can't sort out our own form, though.
Agree with this. Palace tonight might be one of the games Spurs should drop points in if we are to catch them. They got one more days rest and Palace have also shown decent form against the bigger teams.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We are still in the mix. As Ole says I reckon 5 wins out of 6 would do it. It isn’t the points deficit that is the problem. The problem is we have lost our form at the wrong time. We’ve been pretty wank for weeks now. No way do we even win 3/4 out of 6 at this rate.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
6 games left. If we somehow manage to catch 16 points which means that we beat Everton away and draw with City in a game where they need to win, will that be enough?

1) Spurs have really easy run( except City game) and i can't see game where they will lose points. 5 home games plus City and Bournemouth away. It is 16 points for them. Better GD than us. They will finish 3rd
2) Arsenal have Watford, Everton, Wolves, Burnley and Leicester away. Tough games but they have 2 points more than us, better GD and one game in hand. They can lose twice and still be better than us.
3) Chelsea. Away games against us and Liverpool plus Leicester. They are even in worse situation than us.

My hope is Spurs and us. My bet would be Spurs and Arsenal. If that happens, Wolves game is the game where we lost CL spot
How do people get confidence in Spurs picking up 16 points when not just their results, but their recent performances, is comparable with the worst in the league? Spurs haven't just had bad results: they've actually been shit. The stadium move could go either way, but it can't make things much worse at least.

Yes, we are least likely to get top four, but let's just hold our nerve a bit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We are still in the mix. As Ole says I reckon 5 wins out of 6 would do it. It isn’t the points deficit that is the problem. The problem is we have lost our form at the wrong time. We’ve been pretty wank for weeks now. No way do we even win 3/4 out of 6 at this rate.
I can see 4 wins, West Ham, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Cardiff. Not saying any will be pretty but I can see them happening. Everton away and City are now looking very very iffy

Kostov

Aaand it's gone. If previously we looked like we were the team with some momentum, now I struggle to see this team beat Chelsea or City at home, and we also have a match away at Everton. Europa League it is monsieur Pogba.

el3mel

1. Man City

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Tottenham

5. Chelsea

6 Man Utd

That's how i see it :( we seem to have picked up poor form at the worst possible time. 3 defeats in the last 4 games, players on low confidence now, i can only see it getting worse until next season.
Was coming to say exactly same prediction.