Top Four Race 2018/19

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
These top four threads are really old now, it was exciting under Van Gaal because that was the best United could hope for under him. United have one of the best managers that's ever lived in his third season (irregardless of what you think of him now) and here we are probably finishing sixth again and wondering whether United will get into the top four. We have De Gea, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku in our team and United are finishing sixth. Forget finishing above Sheikh, Flop and Roman this year. Arsenal will rack up the wins against the poor sides more than United, highly unlikely United are finishing above them now. Tottenham are the ones we could overtake given they look quite poor. So fifth at best, probably.
I too wish United fans would stop mentioning us in this thread, we don't deserve to be mentioned tbh and all any United fan should concern themselves with is the next game and trying to repair our disastrous start and if come March/April/May we're in touch of a top 4 finish talk about it then not before

CA1

Spurs and Arsenal are average.

If we put a few decent runs together from now until May we'll walk ahead of both of them.

spud u like

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Surely you can add Man Utd to that average list then?

montpelier

3pts from Bouremouth & City altogether would be what I'm looking at / reasonable.

Anything more would be great.

Fewer = an incoming meltdown I would have thought.

cyberman

I too wish United fans would stop mentioning us in this thread, we don't deserve to be mentioned tbh and all any United fan should concern themselves with is the next game and trying to repair our disastrous start and if come March/April/May we're in touch of a top 4 finish talk about it then not before
Spurs just had their best ever start to the league and we're four points behind them after our start. We could be 2 points behind Arsenal who just won 12 in a row if Liverpool beats them.
That's why this thread is needed. It adds perspective to the everybody else is brilliant, we're gonna be 12th mindset around here.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
3pts from Bouremouth & City altogether would be what I'm looking at / reasonable.

Anything more would be great.

Fewer = an incoming meltdown I would have thought.
Bournemouth are playing really well at the moment. A draw against them wouldn't be a bad result for anyone - especially away from home.

What would you take if given these two choices: 3 points from Bournemouth & 0 from City, or 1 from each?

montpelier

Bournemouth are playing really well at the moment. A draw against them wouldn't be a bad result for anyone - especially away from home.

What would you take if given these two choices: 3 points from Bournemouth & 0 from City, or 1 from each?
3 is more than 2 Tommy, :D.

Besides which, we aren't really competing with City are we?

charlenefan

Spurs just had their best ever start to the league and we're four points behind them after our start. We could be 2 points behind Arsenal who just won 12 in a row if Liverpool beats them.
That's why this thread is needed. It adds perspective to the everybody else is brilliant, we're gonna be 12th mindset around here.
The gap is small because only a small amount of games have been played

charlenefan

Which is why saying we don't deserve to be in the conversation doesn't make sense.
It does because given our start it's stupid to even think about long term goals, focus on the short term I.e. the next game

lex talionis

Top four may be out reach already, mates. But it's still only October and it's not hard to see at least Arsenal falling apart by midseason. Problem is, we need Spurs to fall apart as well as Arsenal.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Top four may be out reach already, mates. But it's still only October and it's not hard to see at least Arsenal falling apart by midseason. Problem is, we need Spurs to fall apart as well as Arsenal.
Jesus feckin Christ!! It's just 10 games into the season. Hell never mind top 4 even 9 points off the point is hardly an insurmountable mountain. I'm not saying we'll do that or get top 4 for sure but with such a defeatist and pessimistic ( I'm sure you'll label it as realistic) mentality why even bother watching this season?? Might as well wait for the next season, eh?

cyberman

It does because given our start it's stupid to even think about long term goals, focus on the short term I.e. the next game
This is a short term thread though, its the race for top 4. If it were who do you think will finish top 4 then I would agree with you.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I can’t understand this apparent unwritten rule that some Utd fans are applying, more or less stating that top 4 is already out of reach with 28 games to play?

Apart from City, the teams inhabiting top 4 at the moment have some of their own issues that could potentially have negative impacts on their seasons.

SolidSnake007

At the minute United are 5 points behind, that is 2 losses more that we have to hope Arsenal/Spurs do more than us over the course of the next 28 games. It's doable but United and Jose don't have much more room for error TBH. A few more losses and draws and it's what we call game over.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We're -2 on the equivalent fixtures last season, ironically the Spurs game being the one that's put us in the negative

Leicester (h) 2-0 / 2-1 / N/A
Brighton (a) 1-0 / 3-2 / N/A
Spurs (h) 1-0 / 0-3 / -3 diff
Burnley (a) 0-1 / 0-2 / N/A
Watford (a) 2-4 / 1-2 / N/A
Wolves (h) 0-1 / 1-1 / +1 diff (using West Brom as an equivalent fixture)
West Ham (a) 0-0 / 3-1 / -1 diff
Newcastle (h) 4-1 / 3-2 / N/A
Chelsea (a) 1-0 / 1-1 / +1 diff

Gameweek I expect we are way down given how good our start was last season

One problem with the above though is that we're about to go into a run of fixtures which we all won last season Everton (h), Bournemouth (a), City (a), Palace (h), Southampton (a), Arsenal (h), Fulham (h) (using lets saw Swansea at home as an equivalent) and right now it's impossible to say whether we've turned a corner or not but the likelihood is that we'll fall further behind the points we amassed from the same games last season.
Ah interesting, thanks for clarifying.

Just proves again not to take everything you read online as gospel!

montpelier

I can’t understand this apparent unwritten rule that some Utd fans are applying, more or less stating that top 4 is already out of reach with 28 games to play?

Apart from City, the teams inhabiting top 4 at the moment have some of their own issues that could potentially have negative impacts on their seasons.
We've been watching our games, though.

I'm a shade more optimistic but we still need improvement at both ends, innit? To be putting a run of wins together.

The gap could be getting towards 10pts after these next 2.

Kapardin

If we put a few decent runs together from now until May we'll walk ahead of both of them.
The max we ever put together is 3 wins in a row nowadays. Then when optimism builds up, we lose or draw miserably. Rinse and repeat.

Other teams go even 5-6 games without losing or drawing, we hardly ever do that. It is essential to go on such runs for even 4th in current environment, let alone higher.

youmeletsfly

We need to beat our rivals to get top4, even if we have the classic saying that you end in the top side of the standings if you beat all the small teams.

Given our poor start of the season, we need to string some wins together and we also need to beat the top candidates in order to break their winning runs and make them play with pressure in their next games after.

It's still early days, but we surely need to string some results until Christmas if we want top4.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

May be average but if you take away lost points against fellow top 6 teams Arsenal have only dropped 2 points to Palace and Spurs dropped 3 points Watford.

Both dropped 3 points to Man. City who Man. United will face next week. Of course things will probably change but given way season has gone so far Arsenal and Spurs are more likely to beat the bottom half teams home and away than Man. United are e.g. Spurs went to Brighton and won, Man. United lost.

Given this looks a tight race for 4th, those results can be the crucial ones at end of the season.

CA1

May be average but if you take away lost points against fellow top 6 teams Arsenal have only dropped 2 points to Palace and Spurs dropped 3 points Watford.

Both dropped 3 points to Man. City who Man. United will face next week. Of course things will probably change but given way season has gone so far Arsenal and Spurs are more likely to beat the bottom half teams home and away than Man. United are e.g. Spurs went to Brighton and won, Man. United lost.

Given this looks a tight race for 4th, those results can be the crucial ones at end of the season.
Never said we were any good.

Simply said if we, just like any team put a half decent run together we'll finish 4th. The points target isn't that high at all.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
What's even stranger than seeing United so far down the table is seeing your goal difference. With only 10 matches played the top club is already 20+ better off in goal difference with the others not far behind. That's insane.

Kapardin

Dream scenario: Lose to Bournemouth and bye bye Mourinho, McKenna with the interim mantle takes us to victory at Emptihad. :drool:
One loss to Bournemouth won't get him the sack. Woody's settled on the "mathematically out of Top 4" option.

In any case, I think he will leave even if he gets us 2nd-4th, because clearly Ed's not comfortable with his transfer targets and his constant digs against the board. Can't see his contract being extended, and I think he will leave at the end of this season. So basically, let's stop hoping for defeats. Martial's form has made me a bit excited again for United games, rather than looking at them as a weekend chore.

Water Melon

One loss to Bournemouth won't get him the sack. Woody's settled on the "mathematically out of Top 4" option.

In any case, I think he will leave even if he gets us 2nd-4th, because clearly Ed's not comfortable with his transfer targets and his constant digs against the board. Can't see his contract being extended, and I think he will leave at the end of this season. So basically, let's stop hoping for defeats. Martial's form has made me a bit excited again for United games, rather than looking at them as a weekend chore.
If that happens, which is unlikely imo, I doubt that Mouwould want to leave without a compensation. Doubt, Woody would be ready to pay that. Looks like no top 4 this season, no CL next, fairly big amount of money for the new manager would be there though.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Cracking matches on TV tomorrow. Starting with that six pointer between Bournemouth and Utd. Followed by Arsenal v Liverpool and Wolves v Spurs.

Why would anyone start a thread saying they're ditching sky sports unless it's an unavoidable financial decision?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Cracking matches on TV tomorrow. Starting with that six pointer between Bournemouth and Utd. Followed by Arsenal v Liverpool and Wolves v Spurs.

Why would anyone start a thread saying they're ditching sky sports unless it's an unavoidable financial decision?
Well only the Wolves vs. Spurs game is on Sky for a start...

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Reckon a 6-0 loss against Bournemouth and something similar against Juve won't see him sacked before the derby? :confused:
At this point actually think I'm more of a United fan than you are which is crazy really since I'm a Mourinho fan, on one place you got Old Trafford fans singing his name even in these tough times and on the other it's you wishing for defeats to get him sacked, and old don't deny it it's so obvious you'd love that outcome, which is sad really..

redshaw

Goals galore Spurs have only 16 goals, we have 17 despite Lukaku not scoring or doing anything really.

If we can get back to playing and defending normally then it does look like Arsenal are the ones to beat. I don't think Wembley will help Spurs.

Still I think us getting top 4 is quite a task. Probably 25% possibility. The gap will probably widen and our mediocre form will start to show in a few months.