Top Four Race 2018/19

haram

Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal really aren’t that good. We matched Chelsea at the bridge. We certainly can finish above these teams.

Canagel

The fight is so intense. Most seem to agree City, Liverpool and Chelsea will take 1st 2nd and 3rd but 4th is anyone's guess. Arsenal, Tottenham and us are all capable. Two good teams will miss out.

red4ever 79

Too early to say, apart from City, the other two are not nearly as convincing as you think. If we continue our run till January and sign a CB, we could even do better. Of course, manager and players must continue to pull together instead of the bickering we saw early on in the season.
Liverpool have played 11 won 8 drawn 3. Chelsea played 10 won 7 drawn 3. How is that not convincing. I would be absolutely chuffed to bits if we had started as strong as they had. I agree we need a CB, but we also need a RB, and we need to sell some players, Darmian , Rojo and Jones

deafepl

Liverpool have played 11 won 8 drawn 3. Chelsea played 10 won 7 drawn 3. How is that not convincing. I would be absolutely chuffed to bits if we had started as strong as they had. I agree we need a CB, but we also need a RB, and we need to sell some players, Darmian , Rojo and Jones
We are not going to buy RB, we have Dalot we look to develop into the first team for a decade. CB, RW and perhaps DM are priority for us

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think we'll finish 6th. We've kind of clawed ourselves out of the awful part of the rut where there was pretty much no getting worse... but we still make every single game a slog and most games even against lower teams are very even in terms of chances. We have good individuals, play well in spurts, but I dont think we're a good team. The rest of the traditional top 6 all look good teams, have more of a feel good factor this season, and seem much more complete from an attacking stand point.

If I had to put money on it, my guess would be:
  1. City
  2. Liverpool
  3. Chelsea
  4. Arsenal
  5. Spurs
  6. United

red4ever 79

We are not going to buy RB, we have Dalot we look to develop into the first team for a decade. CB, RW and perhaps DM are priority for us
Well, we need to buy a RB as Young and Valencia are garbage, and Dalot whilst had showed some promise is far too unproven at this level. RW and CDM fully agree with you.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs are pretty good at beating teams below top 7 home and away this year so that could be a tie breaker end of the season given Man. United dropping points against likes of Brighton and West Ham.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
One factor in this is that Spurs have only had 4 'home' games so far, out of 11 games played.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Tottenham are exactly like Arsenal were under Wenger (up until the last 2 years at least). Undeservedly fluking every win against mediocre opposition then abjectly wasting their Champions League place once they actually get there.

Desperately hope luck evens out and they finish well away from the spots as the season progresses.

Smores

I don't think Spurs or Arsenal have been anything special so far from the games I've seen. They're managing to get the points which is what counts but i wouldn't be suprised to see them lose form.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And who's fault is that...

Oh and we've only had 5
It's not a question of fault. It simply means that Spurs are doing well to be only 3 points behind Liverpool after having played so many away games (seven) and missing several first XI players.

Judas

Open to offers
Tottenham are exactly like Arsenal were under Wenger (up until the last 2 years at least). Undeservedly fluking every win against mediocre opposition then abjectly wasting their Champions League place once they actually get there.

Desperately hope luck evens out and they finish well away from the spots as the season progresses.
Aye, we're pretty good at that too though.

CA1

Spurs and Arsenal are dogshit.

Liverpool and Chelsea are alright.

City are good.

We showed last year it's not rocket science to finish above most of them. A good run at the right time made the difference (we had a good start and they never really caught up)

I don't really know if we're good enough to go on a few good runs but if we do, we'll walk into the Top 4. It's totally down to us. I think our heads are a bit fecked and we might end up 5th/6th to be honest but it won't be because other teams were or are too good for us. Arsenal have a positive mindset with their new manager, that may be the difference. I think they could sneak 4th.

1.City
2.Liverpool
3.Chelsea
4.Arsenal
5.United
6.Spurs

If I was a betting man,

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's not a question of fault. It simply means that Spurs are doing well to be only 3 points behind Liverpool after having played so many away games (seven) and missing several first XI players.
And Liverpool would point to the fact that they've played 4 of the other top 5 to Spurs' 3 and 3 of those games have been away from home whilst 2 of Spurs' 3 have been at home

Oh and like us Liverpool have only had 5 home games as well

charlenefan

Spurs and Arsenal are dogshit.

Liverpool and Chelsea are alright.

City are good.

We showed last year it's not rocket science to finish above most of them. A good run at the right time made the difference (we had a good start and they never really caught up)

I don't really know if we're good enough to go on a few good runs but if we do, we'll walk into the Top 4. It's totally down to us. I think our heads are a bit fecked and we might end up 5th/6th to be honest but it won't be because other teams were or are too good for us. Arsenal have a positive mindset with their new manager, that may be the difference. I think they could sneak 4th.

1.City
2.Liverpool
3.Chelsea
4.Arsenal
5.United
6.Spurs

If I was a betting man,
It would be mightily embarrassing for us if Arsenal were the side that got the 4th place. Spurs/Chelsea you could handle but not Arsenal

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think we are possibly in a race for the top 4 now. I wasn’t sure we’d even make a run at it until today. We need to pick somebody decent up in January to stay there though. Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea definitely look vulnerable as long as we can put some pressure on them.

CA1

It would be mightily embarrassing for us if Arsenal were the side that got the 4th place. Spurs/Chelsea you could handle but not Arsenal
Mentality plays a massive part for me.

I think the new manager and their fans being more positive will help Arsenal to just sneak it. I don't see how we will ever get some tranquility into our season this year with the way our mindsets our as a club, fans, players, manager, everyone. Arsenal had that last year hence how far they were behind.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And Liverpool would point to the fact that they've played 4 of the other top 5 to Spurs' 3 and 3 of those games have been away from home whilst 2 of Spurs' 3 have been at home

Oh and like us Liverpool have only had 5 home games as well
I'm sure Liverpool would point to that fact, but then it would be major surprise if United were to finish ahead of them: the teams you need to worry about in terms of a top 4 finish for United are Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal.

charlenefan

I'm sure Liverpool would point to that fact, but then it would be major surprise if United were to finish ahead of them: the teams you need to worry about in terms of a top 4 finish for United are Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal.
Why are you talking about United? I only mentioned them to point out that your whole Spurs have only played 4 home games is a moot point given theres a number of clubs who have only played 5 home games

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs have played a huge number of away games in fairness due to the stadium issues. They're away yet again to Palace next Saturday.

Might not mean so much now but they're getting points on the board and think they've got three straight home games in April so that could be crucial in the run in if it's tight for 4th as generally you'd want more home than away games once you get down the last 10 games.

CA1

Spurs have played a huge number of away games in fairness due to the stadium issues. They're away yet again to Palace next Saturday.

Might not mean so much now but they're getting points on the board and think they've got three straight home games in April so that could be crucial in the run in if it's tight for 4th as generally you'd want more home than away games once you get down the last 10 games.
As has been pointed out, United and Liverpool have only played one more home game.

The fixtures are weird though, don't know why United and Spurs are away again next weekend?

charlenefan

No they haven't. They've played one more away game than a lot of other clubs that's it

charlenefan

As has been pointed out, United and Liverpool have only played one more home game.

The fixtures are weird though, don't know why United and Spurs are away again next weekend?
Indeed, we've already had Burnley and Watford back to back away from home, now Bournemouth and City. I actually prefer us playing away from home at the moment though so I'm not going to complain

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No they haven't. They've played one more away game than a lot of other clubs that's it
Not quite accurate. In terms of top 4 contenders, we've also played 2 more away games than Arsenal.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Spurs started with three away games didn't they so that's a knock on effect for other teams who play them around that time.

It was the same last year with West Ham having three away games in August and then had three home games in March.

charlenefan

Not quite accurate. In terms of top 4 contenders, we've also played 2 more away games than Arsenal.
And why are you only talking about top 4 contenders? The league has 20 teams in it not 4 or 5. Spurs only have themselves to blame that they haven't had 1 extra home game this season and it's probably not a point they're moaning about because it's pathetic to do so

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really? If you include Palace next week that's 8 of their first 12 games away from home. Chelsea only had 5 away games, Man. City only 5, Arsenal only 5 etc before next international break.

When you factor in it's obviously more difficult to win away than at home I think that's worth noting in their points total.

charlenefan

Really? If you include Palace next week that's 8 of their first 12 games away from home. Chelsea only had 5 away games, Man. City only 5, Arsenal only 5 etc before next international break.

When you factor in it's obviously more difficult to win away than at home I think that's worth noting in their points total.
And next week we'll of played 7 of our first 12 away from home and I can't imagine we'll be the only side in that boat either

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And why are you only talking about top 4 contenders? The league has 20 teams in it not 4 or 5. Spurs only have themselves to blame that they haven't had 1 extra home game this season and it's probably not a point they're moaning about because it's pathetic to do so
Errr … because this is a thread about top 4?

Who is moaning? Not I. In fact I'm quite pleased that we've accumulated the points we have, knowing that we've played so many away games.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Errr … because this is a thread about top 4?

Who is moaning? Not I. In fact I'm quite pleased that we've accumulated the points we have, knowing that we've played so many away games.
Our home record thus far (Lost to City, lost to Liverpool, lost to Barcelona, beat Fulham 3-1 and scraped a 1-0 win against 10 men Cardiff) is hardly inspiring anyway so I don't see it as making much of a difference.

I get that 3 of those teams are very strong, but at home you would expect at least one draw. I don't view it as that much of an advantage when we're playing at Wembley, we've been extremely inconsistent there and it doesn't fill me with anywhere near the same confidence games at WHL used to.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Our home record thus far (Lost to City, lost to Liverpool, lost to Barcelona, beat Fulham 3-1 and scraped a 1-0 win against 10 men Cardiff) is hardly inspiring anyway so I don't see it as making much of a difference.

I get that 3 of those teams are very strong, but at home you would expect at least one draw. I don't view it as that much of an advantage when we're playing at Wembley, we've been extremely inconsistent there and it doesn't fill me with anywhere near the same confidence games at WHL used to.
Well, it's still an advantage, however small you feel that to be. Moreover, hopefully from mid January onwards our home games will be proper home games in our new stadium, where I would expect that home advantage to grow.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well, it's still an advantage, however small you feel that to be. Moreover, hopefully from mid January onwards our home games will be proper home games in our new stadium, where I would expect that home advantage to grow.

Not so sure, it might take us a season or so before we settle in to the new stadium. Possible I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of poor results when we first move in, might see some nervous performances.

That said, our away record in the league does deserve recognition. Wolves, Brighton and West Ham all took points off some of the big sides this season so to get 9/9 from them is excellent, it's just a shame our big game record is utterly woeful thus far because we're certainly managing to get plenty of points on the board.

Arsenal used to consistently manage top four by pretty much always beating the bottom half, so maybe we can do the same.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

No it isn't amazing so far but I'd still prefer to be playing at any kind of home stadium vs an away one.

I wouldn't say we've been that inconsistent there tbh. We drew 4, lost 2 games there last season in the league and 2 of those draws and 1 of those losses were in the first 3 games. So the subsequent 16 (once we got over the 'Wembley hoodoo') was played 16, W13, D2, L1. Not horrific.

Liverpool and City will probably be our 2 hardest leagues games this season.

I definitely agree I always feel more confident at WHL though.

Man Utd starting to creep back up again and anyone who thought they were out of it was being way too presumptuous tbh. As I've said, I think the only team nailed on for top 4 is City. Some are more likely than others of course to finish in the top 4 but every other team from those 5 have shown weaknesses, poor form etc etc. I couldn't call it right now.

saivet

Too early to say, apart from City, the other two are not nearly as convincing as you think. If we continue our run till January and sign a CB, we could even do better. Of course, manager and players must continue to pull together instead of the bickering we saw early on in the season.
Yeah City are the only team I've been very impressed with. While good, Chelsea and Liverpool (and I think they will finish 2nd and 3rd) but I think the gap will be closer to 6th than to top spot.

WensleyMU

Next weeks game is huge. Our entire outlook could change with a positive result.