Top Four Race 2018/19

Seven Seas Sardines

The fight is so intense. Most seem to agree City, Liverpool and Chelsea will take 1st 2nd and 3rd but 4th is anyone's guess. Arsenal, Tottenham and us are all capable. Two good teams will miss out.
Fortunately I think EL will make Arsenal and probably Tottenham suffer towards the end of the season.

Seven Seas Sardines

Who's to say we won't drop into EL as well? if we lose this week in Turin and Valencia beat YB our situation is not good.
If we lose to Juve, we still probably only have to draw against YB and Valencia. Nothing's impossible with Mourinho in charge but I think we have a bigger chance than Spurs to go through.

haram

Who's to say we won't drop into EL as well? if we lose this week in Turin and Valencia beat YB our situation is not good.
We only have to beat Young Boys at home and draw against Valencia.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Its wierd that Europa teams (Chelsea and Arsenal) currently are rotating heavily while CL teams play first teamers mid-week with just couple rotations max...while most comments here suggest fatigue concerns otherwise.

Canagel

If we lose to Juve, we still probably only have to draw against YB and Valencia. Nothing's impossible with Mourinho in charge but I think we have a bigger chance than Spurs to go through.
We must beat YB and get a draw away in Valencia but you never know that last game what will happen. We've lost easier games on paper away from home this season.

Seven Seas Sardines

If Valencia beat YB and lose in Turin, they'll be on 5 points. Same as us if we lose in Turin and draw against YB. Two draws will see us through unless Valencia gain 4 goals on us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If Valencia beat YB and lose in Turin, they'll be on 5 points. Same as us if we lose in Turin and draw against YB. Two draws will see us through unless Valencia gain 4 goals on us.
I wouldn't be confident of us going away to Valencia and getting a draw. 4 days before Liverpool at Anfield as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wouldn't be confident of us going away to Valencia and getting a draw. 4 days before Liverpool at Anfield as well.
We should really be expecting a win against Valencia, home or away, they're not as good as we made them look. We'll probably end up drawing, they've drawn about 500 games already this season.

Kapardin

We won't draw against YB at home. Not in bad enough form for that to happen. This group is pretty comfortable.

Its' top 4 that's looking grim. Our rivals just don't drop points unless they play each other. Whereas, we have no such guarantees of a sure 3 points when we face the bottom 14 each week.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We should really be expecting a win against Valencia, home or away, they're not as good as we made them look. We'll probably end up drawing, they've drawn about 500 games already this season.
We should beat them, just like we should be going to places like Brighton and beating them. Let's hope it doesn't come down to a game where a win will put Valencia through.

Irwin99

I think with a fully fit and firing Kane and Eriksen, Spurs should be taking that top 4 spot but they always have it in them to mess things up. Arsenal, i'm still not sure about. As for United, we need to get that defence sorted and hope that we have no more meltdowns/controversies from Jose to be in with any chance. A win or a draw with a good performance against City next week could do wonders.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Considering the difficulties of the fixture list so far and points gained, I think the current top 4 will be the final top 4 … meaning that Arsenal and United will lose out.

AltiUn

Considering the difficulties of the fixture list so far and points gained, I think the current top 4 will be the final top 4 … meaning that Arsenal and United will lose out.
Don't know about that, Arsenal's fixture list has been very difficult as well, they lost 2/3 of their opening fixtures and haven't lost since. I'd argue they've looked better than Spurs so far this season. I think Spurs and United will end up missing out.

acnumber9

What difficulties have they been? Spurs have played four of the bottom five so let’s not overplay the difficulty too much. United have played one for comparison.

Spurs have played seven of the teams in the bottom half. United have played four of them.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
We’re a better team over a season than arsenal, spurs and possibly pool. Top 4 should be a breeze but that’s not what we should be aspiring for......

All 3 United

You really are completely delusional. Listen a few bad games and poor ref decisions doesn’t stop united overtaking an average team like spurs but yes we probably won’t catch city.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You really are completely delusional. Listen a few bad games and poor ref decisions doesn’t stop united overtaking an average team like Spurs but yes we probably won’t catch city.

He's completely delusional for thinking Spurs (who have finished above United a couple of times recently) could finish ahead of United? Despite currently being ahead of you and having beaten you 3-0 at Old Trafford. It's not like the gap was even significant last season, we're talking about four points.

Me and Glaston have had our disagreements, and I think he's very much got rose tinted glasses when it comes to our club, but I'd suggest the only delusional one is you if you honestly think that us finishing ahead of you is some outlandish opinion. Stunning levels of arrogance based on very little.

AltiUn

We’re a better team over a season than Arsenal, Spurs and possibly pool. Top 4 should be a breeze but that’s not what we should be aspiring for......
Spurs and Arsenal have been regularly finishing above us for years, last year was an outlier in terms of our league position. Can't write any team off, Spurs have looked the poorest of the lot and they're still ahead of us.

All 3 United

He's completely delusional for thinking Spurs (who have finished above United a couple of times recently) could finish ahead of United? Despite currently being ahead of you and having beaten you 3-0 at Old Trafford. It's not like the gap was even significant last season, we're talking about four points.

Me and Glaston have had our disagreements, and I think he's very much got rose tinted glasses when it comes to our club, but I'd suggest the only delusional one is you if you honestly think that us finishing ahead of you is some outlandish opinion. Stunning levels of arrogance based on very little.
Well that’s your prerogative but I think we both know the result at OT was very, very fortuitous and well timed in terms of where our teams are. Personally I think spurs are a good team but zero threat to any team with aspirations of trophies. I don’t even consider them as a threat, short term or long term.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well that’s your prerogative but I think we both know the result at OT was very, very fortuitous and well timed in terms of where our teams are. Personally I think Spurs are a good team but zero threat to any team with aspirations of trophies. I don’t even consider them as a threat, short term or long term.
I don't necessarily disagree with you that we were fortunate to beat you, or that we're not a threat to teams who want to win trophies.

But in terms of the top four race, we're clearly well in the mix and in recent seasons have shown ourselves as very capable of being consistent in the league. So to write us off as if we're zero threat and you're guaranteed to waltz ahead of us is more than a little arrogant considering the way you've started the season.

You finished 4 points ahead of us last season, the way you're talking you would think there was some colossal gap between the two sides. Neither of us are true trophy contenders, but you're 4 points behind and have to go to the Etihad next week, and still have to play us away from home where you have struggled for the last few seasons. I'd be very surprised if you easily finished ahead of us.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
What difficulties have they been? Spurs have played four of the bottom five so let’s not overplay the difficulty too much. United have played one for comparison.

Spurs have played seven of the teams in the bottom half. United have played four of them.
I'm also looking at the mix of home and away fixtures. After this coming weekend - away to C. Palace - Spurs will have played twice as many away games as at 'home'.

WensleyMU

This stat is so embarrassing :annoyed:
It's not really is it? It would be nice to score 5 or 6 sure, but ultimately it doesntd really mean anything. City scored 6 today and took 3 points.

These pointless comparisons always originate on Twitter I have noticed. Seems like a breeding ground for that sort of stuff.

All 3 United

I don't necessarily disagree with you that we were fortunate to beat you, or that we're not a threat to teams who want to win trophies.

But in terms of the top four race, we're clearly well in the mix and in recent seasons have shown ourselves as very capable of being consistent in the league. So to write us off as if we're zero threat and you're guaranteed to waltz ahead of us is more than a little arrogant considering the way you've started the season.

You finished 4 points ahead of us last season, the way you're talking you would think there was some colossal gap between the two sides. Neither of us are true trophy contenders, but you're 4 points behind and have to go to the Etihad next week, and still have to play us away from home where you have struggled for the last few seasons. I'd be very surprised if you easily finished ahead of us.
Points well made and one things for sure this season looks to be an exciting one.....

Last edited:

acnumber9

I'm also looking at the mix of home and away fixtures. After this coming weekend - away to C. Palace - Spurs will have played twice as many away games as at 'home'.
Are you just looking at Spurs or United’s as well? After this coming weekend - away to Man City - United will have played a grand total of one home fixture more than Spurs. Spurs will also have played yet another member of the bottom seven.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I love ‘home’ is used as if it’s isn’t Spurs’ fault that they’re still playing at Wembley.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I love ‘home’ is used as if it’s isn’t Spurs’ fault that they’re still playing at Wembley.
That's not what it means. It means that it's not our real home … obviously.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Looking to Utd to do everyone a massive favour this weekend. It's hard to see City dropping many points except in games like this one.

Will be cheering on Everton too - come on you bitters ahem... toffees :p

SolidSnake007

Could do with a win today.

7 points currently off top 4.. that's 2 loses and draw we have to have less than Spurs/Arsenal currently.

That's a big ask, as you don't fancy us to go on some magical winning spree as we can't seem to win the big games never mind the smaller teams in the PL recently, which is what we need to do if we want to catch up ground.

We can still do it, but we need to hit a purple patch of form ASAP to avoid the other teams getting too far ahead. Fergie always use to say that chasing one team United can do but not 2 or 3 makes it more difficult, same for the prized 4th position.

Last edited by a moderator: