Top Four Race 2018/19

Minimalist

Spurs, City, Liverpool and Chelsea are comfortably better than us.

No chance United make top four by the end unless something dramatically changes and nothing suggests that. Arsenal score goals at least so they'll finish 5th at least.

6th at best for me.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fair play to Spurs getting 6 points from their last 2 games and it's that consistency which is why they'll finish 4th

R'hllor

So if i checked correctly, its position after 12 games the same as at end of the season, with JM in helm.

charlenefan

So if i checked correctly, its position after 12 games the same as at end of the season, with JM in helm.
There was certainly a fact that where his sides are at Christmas is where they finish

el3mel

It's gonna be City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in that order. Will end this way 99% imo.

Very slime chance but we should try and see what we'll get. Another season in Europe League, gonna be depressing.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
It's gonna be City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in that order. Will end this way 99% imo.

Very slime chance but we should try and see what we'll get. Another season in Europe League, gonna be depressing.
Had you not comeback against Juve I could have seen you dropping into Europa League and winning it again.

charlenefan

All I will say is 7 points off Spurs who have Chelsea and Arsenal in their next two games (with Inter sandwiched in the middle) while we play Palace and Young Boys at home followed by Southampton away and while a certain Spurs fan will bemoan the lack of home games they've still yet to go to City and Chelsea themselves

BlueHaze

To be perfectly honest with you it's not the missing out on 4th that bothers me. Hell if I care we will do feck all in that tournament anyway. What bothers me is our piss poor reqruitment team with Woodward at helm because let's face it Jose will be gone if we miss out on 4th but then comes the question, who will Krusty the clown hire next? Missing out on top 4 in itself for a season isn't really that damaging look at Chelsea for example they finished outside top 4 during Mourinhos catastrophic season but then won the league the season after with Conte. They finished outside top 4 last season but are now playing much better under Sarri and look certain to finish top 4. We are going to have to start over from scratch again and god knows who the manager in charge will be. People need to ask themselves do you believe our next manager will makes us title candidates? I sure don't and thats where the main issue is, we seem to hire based on merits rather than the managers philosophy matching the identity of this club.

charlenefan

To be perfectly honest with you it's not the missing out on 4th that bothers me. Hell if I care we will do feck all in that tournament anyway. What bothers me is our piss poor reqruitment team with Woodward at helm because let's face it Jose will be gone if we miss out on 4th but then comes the question, who will Krusty the clown hire next? Missing out on top 4 in itself for a season isn't really that damaging look at Chelsea for example they finished outside top 4 during Mourinhos catastrophic season but then won the league the season after with Conte. They finished outside top 4 last season but are now playing much better under Sarri and look certain to finish top 4. We are going to have to start over from scratch again and god knows who the manager in charge will be. People need to ask themselves do you believe our next manager will makes us title candidates? I sure don't and thats where the main issue is, we seem to hire based on merits rather than the managers philosophy matching the identity of this club.
Absolutely no manager is turning this current set of players into title winners within 2 years no

Treble

Spurs and the other contenders have a much better defence. Because they work much harder. The work rate of this United team is not good enough.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Had you not comeback against Juve I could have seen you dropping into Europa League and winning it again.
Not with Chelsea and Arsenal already in there, and with you guys and Spurs joining them there soon - we’ll finish below all of you in the league so I can’t see how we’d win the trophy with you all in there. But now we’re in a promising position in the group then hopefully it won’t be an issue.

Last edited:

Canagel

Agree I even compared yesterday's game to Chelsea game at Etihad last year ending 1-0 with record number of passes and possession I think in the PL. Less than 6 months later and they're 2nd in the table, unbeaten in all comps and much stronger playing a completely different brand of football. With good planning it's absolutely possible to close the gaps very quickly even without the top 4.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Not with Chelsea and Arsenal already in there, and with you guys and Spurs joining them there soon - we’ll finish below all of you in the league so I can’t see how we’d win the trophy with you all in there. But now we’re in a promising position in the group then hopefully it won’t be an issue.
One of PSG/Napoli/Liverpool will be there too. That's where the competition is at this year. :D

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Agree with this, we need a sense of direction in the hiring process. Not just throw money at the next supposed superstar. Then just shove him in the team somewhere. And especially not based on something like investment returns for Woody.

This is a football club.

As for top 4 i just dont see it. Who falls out? Maybe Spurs? They seem to be grinding out wins even with their injury woes. Once Eriksen and Alli back to full fitness they will be a very tough team to beat.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The Elo Ranking based simulation at https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/ still predicts the probability of you reaching top 4 at 18 %. This is up 3 % from last week, due to Arsenal and Chelsea drawing this week end.
As much as it doesn't feel like it, this was a better weekend than expected for United.

Premier League is so different to La Liga this year where we would currently only be four points off the top! Bonkers how compressed their league is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only reason I give a shit about top four is that it gives us a better chance of keeping our better players.

charlenefan

The only reason I give a shit about top four is that it gives us a better chance of keeping our better players.
We'll also keep the manager :nervous:

I don't think they'll be an exodus if we fail to make top 4, sure they'll be some discontent however Woody will throw some extra £££ at Pogba, Martial, De Gea and keep them all happy

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
You seem way better in the big games this year - you can at least string some passes together now.

I think your squad in the attacking process is still a bit too soft for the title challenge.
Your attacking midfield is only Pogba and Mata, the first is only partially attacking and the second lacks any speed.
Then in your attack Rashford, Lingard and Martial are not very intelligent in the decisions, it's infuriating how many times they try the hardest thing instead of the obvious one.
Lukaku suffers from having little ball, the team doesn't support him much.
Alexis is a very good player but he is almost playing alone most of the time.

I think you need a right back (sorry Young isn't enough) a box to box that is fast in transitions and your attack... I don't know where to start.
Get a more mobile striker as an alternative to Lukaku and get a fast, technician winger to play opposite to Lukaku.
Until then you are very limited, slow in transition and losing counter attacks one after another with bad decisions.

Joeace2020

You seem way better in the big games this year - you can at least string some passes together now.

I think your squad in the attacking process is still a bit too soft for the title challenge.
Your attacking midfield is only Pogba and Mata, the first is only partially attacking and the second lacks any speed.
Then in your attack Rashford, Lingard and Martial are not very intelligent in the decisions, it's infuriating how many times they try the hardest thing instead of the obvious one.

I think you need a right back (sorry Young isn't enough) a box to box that is fast in transitions and your attack... I don't know where to start.
Get a more mobile striker as an alternative to Lukaku and get a fast, technician winger to play opposite to Lukaku.
Until then you are very limited, slow in transition and losing counter attacks one after another with bad decisions.
Basically a new team

tomaldinho1

We actually have the makings of a really good possession based team - with some sensible signings we could be a real force (assuming our manager isn't Mou). I'm using quite realistic signings below (Bissaka and Diop making a big step up in salary/club stature, Dembele on a free, Big name signing in Douglas Costa (just please can we sign a fast RW) who is probably the slightly unrealistic one)

--------------------- DDG ------------------
Bissaka -- Issa Diop -- Lindeloff -- Shaw
----------------- Dembele -----------------
---------- Pereira ------ Pogba--------
Costa------------------------------- Martial
----------------- Sanchez---------------

minoo-utd

We still can. Considering still 26 games to play and some here say no way! 26 games people. I know we are shit and all and I know also we can at least challenge Arsenal and Spurs to get 4th. But if we faild then I wish we dont play in E.L and ofcourse it will also be the end of Jose's with us once we are confirmed out of top four. And that makes you think is that the club's main aim every year now? Just be in top four?

montpelier

It needs to happen now - up to New Year, the fixtures look pretty friendly. Win a lot of them & get something from the Arsenal & Liverpool games. Hope the others start losing.

Do you see it really? I'm not sure I do.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If we beat Spurs and United in the next weeks i would start believing we can finish 4th. No because we still have flaws so we are not favourites.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If we beat Spurs and United in the next weeks i would start believing we can finish 4th. No because we still have flaws so we are not favourites.
I was hoping Spurs would drop some points whilst they had the injury pile up. But they have kept grinding out results. And now Eriksen and Alli getting back to full fitness they will be firing again.

They were down to using the really young CB they bought as Dier, Sanchez and Vertonghen were all out. Wolves nearly pulled it back after he gave away 2 penalties. 3 goals just a bridge too far for Wolves.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I was hoping Spurs would drop some points whilst they had the injury pile up. But they have kept grinding out results. And now Eriksen and Alli getting back to full fitness they will be firing again.

They were down to using the really young CB they bought as Dier, Sanchez and Vertonghen were all out. Wolves nearly pulled it back after he gave away 2 penalties. 3 goals just a bridge too far for Wolves.
Yep, they have been resilient, but if we can improve quickly i think we can match them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Told some posters.
We don't play well enough to pick up points consistently.
This will not happen.

Raw

We drop far too many points against the average/shit sides to deserve top 4. Look how easily City dispatched West Ham away FFS.

charlenefan

Time to close this thread, if any rival clubs want to discuss it feck off to your own forums