Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Am i the only one who just don't see logic in this? Thiago would be great buy, excellent player and is exactly dmc what we need but we have 6 midfelders now. I am first who is for buying class players but i don't think that we can sell Fred, Matic or McT for good fee on current market.
The logic would be to ...welll... seriously strengthen the team. We have many midfielders, but Thiago is a world class player (whereas Matic, let alone McTominay and Fred, are of course not, and VDB we have yet to see)

DRM

Am i the only one who just don't see logic in this? Thiago would be great buy, excellent player and is exactly dmc what we need but we have 6 midfelders now. I am first who is for buying class players but i don't think that we can sell Fred, Matic or McT for good fee on current market.
Our midfielders are simply incapable of keeping possession. Countless times last season we relinquished the ball so cheaply. Someone of Thiagos quality, at that price, is a no-brainer!

kkengvib

Thiago is an excellent player but he doesn't seem to fit the profile of players that we've seen Ole go after. He's going to be 30 next year. Ole seems to be going after either young prospects (e.g. Haaland, Bellingham) or players approaching their peak years (e.g. Maguire, Bruno).

I have a bit of a hard time believing that we would be paying 25-30 million for a player on high wages who will give us maybe 3 good years.
That also means we'll have a logjam of central midfielders. McT and Matic are both on new contracts. Hard to see them leaving. We then have Pogba, Donny, and Bruno.
That leaves Fred and Andreas Pereira (and even perhaps Mata who could play centrally as a 10). One or ideally two of them would have to leave. Even then do we have enough minutes to go around?
That's potentially 4 central midfielders (Donny, Pogba, Bruno, and Thiago) who will demand regular minutes.

Feels like a bit similar to Reguilon. Good player (in this case much more proven of course), would improve the team, but in an area where we don't desperately need to improve.
Also these two players are 'available'. Feels a bit like we're settling for 'achievable' or perhaps 'affordable' targets rather than paying for our primary ones (i.e. Sancho)

Matt851

Thiago is an excellent player but he doesn't seem to fit the profile of players that we've seen Ole go after. He's going to be 30 next year. Ole seems to be going after either young prospects (e.g. Haaland, Bellingham) or players approaching their peak years (e.g. Maguire, Bruno).

I have a bit of a hard time believing that we would be paying 25-30 million for a player on high wages who will give us maybe 3 good years.
That also means we'll have a logjam of central midfielders. McT and Matic are both on new contracts. Hard to see them leaving. We then have Pogba, Donny, and Bruno.
That leaves Fred and Andreas Pereira (and even perhaps Mata who could play centrally as a 10). One or ideally two of them would have to leave. Even then do we have enough minutes to go around?
That's potentially 4 central midfielders (Donny, Pogba, Bruno, and Thiago) who will demand regular minutes.

Feels like a bit similar to Reguilon. Good player (in this case much more proven of course), would improve the team, but in an area where we don't desperately need to improve.
Also these two players are 'available'. Feels a bit like we're settling for 'achievable' or perhaps 'affordable' targets rather than paying for our primary ones (i.e. Sancho)
Many would argue we do desperately need a left back given shaws fitness record and williams' lack of a left foot and general rawness

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Don't think it's a bad idea going for thiago. The difference in quality between our first 11 and squad is night and day, and I like McT and Fred. We need more quality in the squad if we're ever going to compete.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Lets say for arguments sake that city, Liverpool and Chelsea get the top three spots. Then United, Arsenal, Spurs and maybe Everton are the teams in contention to get the other spot.
Those other teams going for cl football have improved more than united have. Football isn't predictable but it doesn't look good to essentially go backwards in comparison like that.

Matt851

With pogbas contract still unsigned, is there a chance he will leave at christmas or on a free?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Seriously why can't we sell anyone at all . Andreas Perriera & Lingard shouldn't be this hard to sell surely

Riz

Don't think it's a bad idea going for thiago. The difference in quality between our first 11 and squad is night and day, and I like McT and Fred. We need more quality in the squad if we're ever going to compete.
I’d have agreed pre-Donny but our second midfield is already likely to be:

Fred-Matic-McT

That’s by far the strongest back-up area of the squad now. I think the £30m fee and mega-wages could be used to support other more pressing areas of the squad since we’re running out of time.

cyberman

I’d have agreed pre-Donny but our second midfield is already likely to be:

Fred-Matic-McT

That’s by far the strongest back-up area of the squad now. I think the £30m fee and mega-wages could be used to support other more pressing areas of the squad since we’re running out of time.
If one of our forwards needs a rest or cant play we can play split strikers, which Ole has played many times before, that leaves us with a drop off in quality again behind Pogba, VDB and Bruno on the field at once.

diarm

.Feels like a bit similar to Reguilon. Good player (in this case much more proven of course), would improve the team, but in an area where we don't desperately need to improve.
How are left back and DM not areas we desperately need to improve?

We have one left back in our squad who struggles to ever stay fit, and one DM who no longer has the legs to play more than 50/60% of games.

They're literally the two most important positions to improve upon after RW because there is zero cover and the incumbents can't be relief upon for every match.

kkengvib

How are left back and DM not areas we desperately need to improve?

We have one left back in our squad who struggles to ever stay fit, and one DM who no longer has the legs to play more than 50/60% of games.

They're literally the two most important positions to improve upon after RW because there is zero cover and the incumbents can't be relief upon for every match.
You answered yourself right there mate.
And technically Williams is still our backup LB, even though I would prefer him on the right.

I'd have no problems (would be happy even) if we sign Thiago, given we land Sancho or another RW.
If getting Thiago affects our ability to pay for Sancho, I won't be very happy.

Can't make an assessment on the entire window until it is over. Maybe things are moving slow on the Thiago front because we want to sort out RW first? That would make sense

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think we are genuinely interested in Thiago but only if there is money left to do the deal. In other words if we don’t sign sancho. So we are trying to keep Thiago interested until we see what happens with the other.

I wonder would we see Fred shipped out, perhaps on loan initially if Thiago comes in

stepic

the only positive from missing out on all these other deals is that it may just force our board's miserly hand and stump up the cash for sancho.

Devil81

I think we are genuinely interested in Thiago but only if there is money left to do the deal. In other words if we don’t sign sancho. So we are trying to keep Thiago interested until we see what happens with the other.

I wonder would we see Fred shipped out, perhaps on loan initially if Thiago comes in
I'd happily see Fred go if it meant getting Thiago. He'd take us to another level again in my opinion.

The other option would be a loan for Scott Mctominey, he needs to be starting football matches to continue his development.

reelworld

I don't care how much midfielders we have, if the opportunity to sign Thiago for 30M come up, you signed him. Liverpool have been dithering over signing him for months, but United didn't take that chance

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What a signing for the Scouse. Weren't we the ones needing reinforcements to close the gap?
We decided to go for the most expensive player on the market though with seemingly no alternative.

Kept telling people that Thiago to us made no sense once we signed Donny. We were never signing two CM's and people on her who thought he could slot in and play DM for us whilst we have Pogba n Bruno were in cloud cuckoo land. Bayern used our name to get Liverpool to pay up. He was always going there. And I agree he's a top signing. Can't see City winning the league back off them now. 20 titles each? I feel ill.

Woodenlung

I don't care how much midfielders we have, if the opportunity to sign Thiago for 30M come up, you signed him. Liverpool have been dithering over signing him for months, but United didn't take that chance
I don't think there was ever a realistic chance to sign Thiago. He wanted Liverpool.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It doesn't work like that. Had we bid they'd have just bid and still got him. He wanted to go there and they knew it. They were just calling Bayern's bluff.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Thiago. Bale. Havertz. Werner. van de Beek. James Rodriguez. Thiago Silva. Not to mention the possibility of a certain player from Dortmund...

Huge injection of quality into the league.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Thiago. Bale. Havertz. Werner. van de Beek. James Rodriguez. Thiago Silva. Not to mention the possibility of a certain player from Dortmund...

Huge injection of quality into the league.
PL keeps on growing. European success didn't come last season though however the pandemic certainly didn't help some leagues over others. Our players were dead on their feet when we got to Germany. Lyon also much fresher than City were after their league was cancelled.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Liverpool bound I think. Woody too busy.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The window is going from bad to worse for United . It's sad that the fans can see it but the people in charge can't . I never really liked Jose coming out & moaning in public but I don't think Ole just keeping a straight face and not saying anything will help either . I really hope the team can prove me wrong but it's obvious that this is headed for Ole getting sacked in December

Squeaky Bumtime

It isnt Football manager, welcome to the real world, reelworld.

Squeaky Bumtime

The window is going from bad to worse for United . It's sad that the fans can see it but the people in charge can't . I never really liked Jose coming out & moaning in public but I don't think Ole just keeping a straight face and not saying anything will help either . I really hope the team can prove me wrong but it's obvious that this is headed for Ole getting sacked in December
Same thing was said last year. He wont get sacked in December but when top 4 will be out of reach mathematically.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
The fans see it.
The people in charge don't care.

We're the new Arsenal. Financially, top 4 on a limited budget is a better business model than going for the title

cyberman

Ah now, you need to stop listening to random reports. The thiago links were tedious at best plus in a position where we have actually have amazing quality already.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Ah now, you need to stop listening to random reports. The thiago links were tedious at best plus in a position where we have actually have amazing quality already.

I don't really care about thiago , he would have been a nice player to have but not our biggest need . What I mean is that everyone around seems to be strengthening while we seem to be standing still for some reason which is frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.