g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Spending on the next manager?

I think everything points to Ten Hag. He has a 25 million release clause so why spend that money on players he might not potentially like.
Still doesn't make sense, Ragnick was bought in as an advisor, he advised them and they ignored. What's the point of him going upstairs as everything points to him having no power.

Fanta Stick

Spending on the next manager?

I think everything points to Ten Hag. He has a 25 million release clause so why spend that money on players he might not potentially like.
A new manager potentially won't be impressed with half our squad as it stands so adding one more player he potentially won't like shouldn't be a consideration when we are crying out for a DM.

ATXRedDevil

It seems like both United and Chelsea have Rice and Tchouameni on their lists. Tchouameni is gonna be difficult to sign due to the competition, so I can see Chelsea wrapping up a deal for Rice, due to the player's affiliation with the club.
Chelsea will sign Rice, Madrid will sign Tchouameni and we’ll end up overspending on some fall back option who will turn out not to be good enough to be in the first 11.

binary bot
Was the whole DOF thing just for show? Back to rebuilding every new manager and giving up midseason if they get sacked? Our planning basically amounts to signing the next Fergie.

the_cliff

Was the whole DOF thing just for show? Back to rebuilding every new manager and giving up midseason if they get sacked? Our planning basically amounts to signing the next Fergie.
Of course it was. Our DOF is basically our manager right now and we're still waiting for the new manager to pick the players he wants. Of course the new manager will also be picked by the DOF who is also our current manager.

What a mess.

mctrials23

"We want to make sure that we give ourselves the worst chance to be in the Champions League next season so that the new manager finds it harder to sign top talent and we find it harder to persuade them to join us".

Seems entirely sensible.

I understand the argument against signing a big name player for a lot of money that the next manager might not want but we are going to be threadbare come summer anyway and there are plenty of players we could have taken a gamble on for under £50m. Even if they only help us to get CL football that would probably be money well spent.

the_cliff

"We want to make sure that we give ourselves the worst chance to be in the Champions League next season so that the new manager finds it harder to sign top talent and we find it harder to persuade them to join us".

Seems entirely sensible.

I understand the argument against signing a big name player for a lot of money that the next manager might not want but we are going to be threadbare come summer anyway and there are plenty of players we could have taken a gamble on for under £50m. Even if they only help us to get CL football that would probably be money well spent.
It's bullshit reasoning to penny pinch. You think if for example we signed a Vlahovic or a Declan Rice do you honestly think any new manager would refuse to work with them ? Or even a Haidara or a Bissouma a new manager wouldn't even want them in the squad come summer ?

Mr. Ant

This is rather idiotic approach. Don't we have a DoF exactly for this reason? It doesn't matter who is the coach if DoF is building for the long term. This suggests to me that the club didn't really change anything.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This is rather idiotic approach. Don't we have a DoF exactly for this reason? It doesn't matter who is the coach if DoF is building for the long term. This suggests to me that the club didn't really change anything.
Maybe our long term targets were not available. Plus it was just started. This makes sense if we dont end up hiring Ralf

sparx99

We were also less shit back then and only a year from winning our last title. Our stock has seriously fallen since and high wages seems to be our only selling point these days.
Yeah, this is true. Wages are a battle everywhere though. City seem to do ok but who knows what’s being hidden. Chelsea have had issues renewing Hudson-Odoi, Rudiger, Christensen. Liverpool are struggling with Salah.

Barca got into huge financial difficulties over wages and other financial mismanagement. Juventus have handed out crazy deals to a Ramsey and others.

Even Bayern who we tend to think of as gold standard have run into issues renewing Goretka, Sule, Coman, Kimmich.

Now Madrid have given Mbappe €800k a week!

roseguy64

Maybe our long term targets were not available. Plus it was just started. This makes sense if we dont end up hiring Ralf
Howson has been saying we won't sign anyone unless it was a long term target. Whoever was available the powers at be figure they're not good enough that any manager would gladly accept them.

If it was Bellingham or Rice available we would have signed them regardless of the manager.

Mr. Ant

I mean for sure we don't have to sign someone just for the sake of it. But I would expect the club to brief the press exactly how you wrote it just now. Our long term targets weren't available.

I hope this brief doesn't suggest what I think it does. We have no idea what type of coach we want and we will start looking for players only after someone is hired.

sparx99

Howson has been saying we won't sign anyone unless it was a long term target. Whoever was available the powers at be figure they're not good enough that any manager would gladly accept them.

If it was Bellingham or Rice available we would have signed them regardless of the manager.
In theory it’s fine. We do have two players for each position still. In reality, we have at least 4-5 players who regularly need treatment.

Redfrog

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

We love to act like we have a long term plan, when it changes daily.
The owners have a very long term plan : squeeze the club as much as possible as long as possible. If the money is there, they don’t care about the rest…

sparx99

Maybe we’ve got Ten Hag lined up and we want to bring in Gravenberch but Ten Hag wants to keep Gravenberch until the summer. 4D chess?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Of course it was. Our DOF is basically our manager right now and we're still waiting for the new manager to pick the players he wants. Of course the new manager will also be picked by the DOF who is also our current manager.

What a mess.
Ralf is not becoming DOF.

We already have a DOF. His name is John Murtough.

Please....he's going to be a third party consultant who advises the club. That's it. Sure he'll have voting power. But he will not and cannot pick and chose future potential recruits. That is down to Murtough and the recruitment team. Which will take advice from Ralf from.

Ugh. It gets so frustrating when I read that Ralf will become DOF, because there's going to be a lot of disappointed people on here when he leaves his position and doesn't become who the all leading all powerful person think he will become.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
  • Interested clubs: Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea
  • West Ham had not held fresh talks with Rice since last summer.
  • Rice's contract has 2.5 years left with an option for 1 more year.

Dr. StrangeHate

Again we have learnt nothing. Giving managers complete control over transfers has resulted in the squad we have. We should be planning for transfers based on a club philosophy not who the manager is every few years.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Again we have learnt nothing. Giving managers complete control over transfers has resulted in the squad we have. We should be planning for transfers based on a club philosophy not who the manager is every few years.
You say that now but what if there's another VDB situation and the next manager just doesn't fancy the player we bought. Then the club still did wrong. It's never a good idea for an interim to buy players.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Can’t really see Declan Rice as a Pep player though I’m sure he’d do well there like any top class player would. I think it’s a battle between Chelsea and United for him whenever he eventually pushes to leave WH.

Former Chelsea academy player, Chelsea supporter, best buddies with and almost inseparable from Mason Mount, and we are calling out for a player of his quality at the base of our midfield. There’s a reason we’ve been linked heavily with both Rice and Tchoameni. I can imagine a scenario where Jorginho returns to Italy within the next year or two and we bring in Rice.

But I don’t see why WH would even entertain any bids that are less than what City paid for Grealish. Unless he refuses to play and demands a transfer he’s kind of stuck there for at least a year you would think. He’s their talisman and poster boy and is on a long contract still. So unless someone stumps up £100m I don’t see it this summer.

Would United pay £100m for him when you’ll be after super expensive forwards to replace Cavani, Greenwood, and perhaps CR7? Plus a RB? Idk.

I definitely don’t see my club paying that for him. Not when Tchaomeni can be had for a much smaller fee.

Dr. StrangeHate

You say that now but what if there's another VDB situation and the next manager just doesn't fancy the player we bought. Then the club still did wrong. It's never a good idea for an interim to buy players.
Create a club philosophy and get managers based on that and players based on that. It won't always be right but this is much better than letting manager decide everything.

Dante

Average bang
You've got it the wrong way around. Ever since Fergie/Gill left, United's transfers have been handled by the club's accountants.

If anything, the managers should be getting more control in conjunction with the new DoF hierarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.