Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Btw, Chelsea can cut you a good deal on Ziyech if y'all are willing to pay the Man Utd minimum of €80m. :D
Sorry buddy but we don’t make naive errors giving a PL flop another chance like your bunch did bringing Lukaku back. :lol:

UTD_Since_1978

The people at UTD are friggin' obsessed with Ajax players, ain't they? We are now linked with half their starting XI! :eek:

Lee565

Rip off price, the guy would cost more than what Barca paid for him despite not impressing at barca, if it was the other way round we would be struggling to shift such a player for half of that fee.

Our club is constantly being taken to the cleaners.

Wing Attack Plan R

The idea that centre backs playing in a high line need to be rapid is a complete myth. Dias and Laporte aren't particularly fast and they do just fine at City.

If your centre backs are regularly required to be chasing back then you probably aren't implementing a high line correctly.
It's not a myth, but it's also not the only skill a CB playing a high line needs to possess. There is no recovery speed in Maguire. The moment an attacker feints and gains half a step, the race is over; Maguire is never getting anywhere near him. Attackers know this because they saw it all last season. In addition to not being fast, Maguire also has poor positioning, so that it is easier for an attacker to sell him a feint and then blow past him. The tactical awareness of Maguire is also poor, in that he's the one who breaks the high line by stepping up too early and leaving a gaping hole behind him. This causes the covering CB to have to choose between slowing down the attacker with the ball or marking the player who might receive the killer pass.

If Maguire was any good at reading the game he wouldn't need to be quick. He isn't.

None of the back 4 were good, and if 1 or 2 were exceptional they might be able to cover for some of Maguire's shortcomings, but they weren't and didn't.

tl;dr Maguire is not the right player for this system and we should have sold him.

Kag

Rip off price, the guy would cost more than what Barca paid for him despite not impressing at barca, if it was the other way round we would be struggling to shift such a player for half of that fee.

Our club is constantly being taken to the cleaners.
What’s the alternative, exactly? We need midfielders who aren’t dogshit and De Jong is probably the best we can buy. Who gives a shit about the fee?

Sparky Rhiwabon

The people at UTD are friggin' obsessed with Ajax players, ain't they? We are now linked with half their starting XI! :eek:
I mean, it’s good that Erik's previous club is Ajax rather than Everton but, at the same time, is it not a bit worrying that we haven’t moved on in terms of recruitment - just buying whoever the latest manager knows.

Lee565

What’s the alternative, exactly? We need midfielders who aren’t dogshit and De Jong is probably the best we can buy. Who gives a shit about the fee?
But where does it stop with us buying players at over inflated prices and why should be the ones to act as Barca's charity aid in their attempt to solve their financial woes.

Kag

But where does it stop with us buying players at over inflated prices and why should be the ones to act as Barca's charity aid in their attempt to solve their financial woes.
We’re rumoured to be buying a top quality midfielder; he’s going to cost a fair bit of money.

We won’t give a shit about solving Barcelona’s issues. We’ll give much more of a shit about replacing halfwits like McTominay in midfield.

I’ll ask you again, what is the alternative?

Marcelinho87

It could be in dollars and it would still be too much!

Ajax is trying to rinse us. I can see Anthony moving if he kicks up a little stink and then should be done with them this year.
They aren't trying to rinse anybody...

They are saying these players are not for sale, for us to even consider would be something ridiculous.

They don't wanna sell, that is that.

Crashoutcassius

What the hell is going on.. This cant be right.

Ten Hag really wants a slow Maguire when pressing with a high line?? It does not make sense to me.
mad isnt it. almost like all the couch potatos on the forum know less about football / maguire than ETH... but can't be that surely...

Widow

They aren't trying to rinse anybody...

They are saying these players are not for sale, for us to even consider would be something ridiculous.

They don't wanna sell, that is that.
But they are not, they are saying these players are for sale for an overpriced fee. Much like most clubs do when it comes to United. Let's see if they lose any of these players and at what cost.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Hypothetical question, Where do people think the Ajax squad last year with the addition of De jong would have finished in the EPL last season? I think the best they could have done is 4th. Kinda makes you wonder why as it appears, we are targeting practically everyone in that team. I personally would only take one more after De Jong, if nothing else, to manage the risk misjudging the quality of one team can have.

AndySmith1990

But they are not, they are saying these players are for sale for an overpriced fee. Much like most clubs do when it comes to United. Let's see if they lose any of these players and at what cost.
Most players are available for crazy money. It doesn't mean they are explicitly for sale

Charles Miller

Hypothetical question, Where do people think the Ajax squad last year with the addition of De jong would have finished in the EPL last season? I think the best they could have done is 4th. Kinda makes you wonder why as it appears, we are targeting practically everyone in that team. I personally would only take one more after De Jong, if nothing else, to manage the risk misjudging the quality of one team can have.
Players with potential can get better when playing on a higher level. If you sign Mbappe, Fabinho and Bernardo Silva from Monaco, they can improve you, despite the fact their former club probably wouldn't be top four in the Premier League.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Players with potential can get better when playing on a higher level. If you sign Mbappe, Fabinho and Bernardo Silva from Monaco, they can improve you, despite the fact their former club probably wouldn't be top four in the Premier League.
Fair point though have to say, I donut see these Ajax players and immediately think the level of potential matches the aforementioned three. Hopefully you're right

Dazzmondo

I doubt Ajax would finish above 9th. Leicester have a better 1st XI imo. 4th would be extremely unlikely. I don't think people realise how low the level of the Eredevisie as a whole actually is. It's a much weaker league than the Bundesliga which constantly gets criticised.

EDIT: Maybe with the addition of FDJ they could finish ahead of Leicester but I still don't see much chance of them finishing above Utd, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
@Dazzmondo 9? :lol: Surely that can't be right. Their champions league exploits alone is reflective of a team that can match and beat some of the best in Europe, then you add De Jong and that takes them up a level.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I doubt Ajax would finish above 9th. Leicester have a better 1st XI imo. 4th would be extremely unlikely. I don't think people realise how low the level of the Eredevisie as a whole actually is. It's a much weaker league than the Bundesliga which constantly gets criticised.

EDIT: Maybe with the addition of FDJ they could finish ahead of Leicester but I still don't see much chance of them finishing above Utd, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.
Leicester got binned out of the Europa League group stages whilst Ajax were in the knockouts of the CL. They’d finish above United last season for sure.

Charles Miller

Fair point though have to say, I donut see these Ajax players and immediately think the level of potential matches the aforementioned three. Hopefully you're right
I hope too. But its always a gamble, right? Even with more established players like Griezman or Coutinho before moving to Barcelona.

Dazzmondo

@Dazzmondo 9? :lol: Surely that can't be right. Their champions league exploits alone is reflective of a team that can match and beat some of the best in Europe, then you add De Jong and that takes them up a level.
Leicester got binned out of the Europa League group stages whilst Ajax were in the knockouts of the CL. They’d finish above United last season for sure.
Leicester did have loads of injuries though. The season before they finished 5th, just 1 point behind Chelsea. I didn't originally read the with FDJ bit so maybe that would be enough to put them higher but I don't think most of Ajax's players are as good as suggested here. Ajax still lost to Benfica which was probably the easiest draw they could have gotten in the 1st knockout round. Sporting are probably at about the same level as Ajax in terms of talent (or maybe even slightly worse) and I similarly wouldn't expect Sporting to necessarily finish ahead of a full strength Leicester side either. Besiktas aren't a very good side. They finished 6th in the Turkish league last season, 22 points behind Trabzonspor. Dortmund last season were absolutely awful, they underperformed big time. Ajax deserve credit for winning both legs against them for sure, but whether that means they would finish above them in a full Bundesliga season is another story. Also, let's not forget that ETH is being praised as the next big manager for a reason. He definitely was overachieving with those players. I personally think even 6th would be very unlikely. Anything above that I don't see any chance.

lysglimt

Scout
There are 11 players in a team - last time I checked, we weren't linked to 11 Ajax-players :) But you are right - Ajax would not beat Liverpool and City, but you fail to take into consideration that over 50% of their outfield players were 24 years or younger - these players will develop. So Timber, Antony, Gravenberch (who is going to Bayern) to name 3 - they will improve with age, with better teammates and with harder opposition.

Fox outside the box

Yes, it makes sense that whilst he assesses the current squad, he brings in a few players who understand and buy into his system, methods etc. I expect there are a handful of players that he would target first and foremost, because he has worked with them, already knows their mentality and they know his.

This is extremely common, you see it all the time when new CEOs or Directors take over in businesses. First thing they do is bring in a handful of people they've worked with previously. Makes embedding messages and getting buy in etc so much easier.

I'm surprised so many people find this so strange. I can only imagine a lot of comments I see are from people with very limited work/world experience.

Fox outside the box

mad isnt it. almost like all the couch potatos on the forum know less about football / maguire than ETH... but can't be that surely...
I don't think I can name another group that's worse than football fans for being so confident, nay, arrogant, about something they have absolutely zero experience in. Apparently reading some online forums, watching a match each week and following the United Stand means you are equipped to run, manage and coach an elite football club. Oh and negotiate transfers, we have tons of fans who are amazing at that, apparently.

1974_Fergie_Time

We've been close to agreeing a deal for about 2 weeks now

it will be agreed on 30th of June to aid Barca FFP rules is my guess

Status
Not open for further replies.