Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Agree on McKenna, waytoo early...he should take job at agood clubif manager moves on, Brentford, Brighton for example.

But come on Poch left Southampton and took Spurs to the top four anda CL final. I rateTuchel as amanager....but for us no, of the main names seen mentioned...Idonly take him if the other option wasMcKenna
I understand the allure of a Chelsea or a United, but Brighton seem like a perfect fit. Best option in the premier league for an up and coming manager like Kieran.

Pscholes18

Being able to prove that you can get players to overachieve and play beyond their level is what he has shown.
This.....all this nonsense about getting some uninspiring manager to come and, "right the ship" is bollocks. Going to waste two years on a manager to right the ship, then go get McKenna? Just give it to him now.....he either does it or he doesn't. If not, then move on and see who is available.

Plant0x84

Being able to prove that you can get players to overachieve and play beyond their level is what he has shown.
This.....all this nonsense about getting some uninspiring manager to come and, "right the ship" is bollocks. Going to waste two years on a manager to right the ship, then go get McKenna? Just give it to him now.....he either does it or he doesn't. If not, then move on and see who is available.
Without spending money - you should add
Still a world of difference between Lg1 players hungry to succeed and earn more, and our overpaid perennial underachieving PL fat cats. How will he motivate boys who have everything already?

If we hire McKenna it is a project. A long term one. Fans will have to accept the need for patience and have resolve to not be successful for 3/4 years while he builds.
Of course that is unlikely - fans will stick 6/12 months of difficult results and then turn on him as they always do since 2013.

I get the excitement around Kieran, but nobody can say it isn’t a huge jump to United in turmoil.

saik

If we hire McKenna it is a project. A long term one. Fans will have to accept the need for patience and have resolve to not be successful for 3/4 years while he builds.
Of course that is unlikely - fans will stick 6/12 months of difficult results and then turn on him as they always do since 2013.
Completely agree. People said the same thing when we hired ETH and look where we are now. Also, I don't think people clamouring for McKenna have seen how Ipswich plays. He demands a lot from his players physically. Lot of high intensity running. We've all seen how our players fell like flies when they were asked to run. And even in Championship their defense was nothing to write home about. Ofcourse going forward they were good but they struggled defensively against a lot of teams.

I struggle to see why anyone thinks hiring McKenna is a good idea right now. Everything is set up to fail him here. All the people who wanted ETH gone will be here within six months calling for McKenna's head saying he's out of his depth.

pacifictheme

Completely agree. People said the same thing when we hired ETH and look where we are now. Also, I don't think people clamouring for McKenna have seen how Ipswich plays. He demands a lot from his players physically. Lot of high intensity running. We've all seen how our players fell like flies when they were asked to run. And even in Championship their defense was nothing to write home about. Ofcourse going forward they were good but they struggled defensively against a lot of teams.

I struggle to see why anyone thinks hiring McKenna is a good idea right now. Everything is set up to fail him here. All the people who wanted ETH gone will be here within six months calling for McKenna's head saying he's out of his depth.
I think most fans are willing to support managers through difficult periods if they can see what they are trying to do. Moyes in 2013 and ten hag now have completely failed to install any sort of playing style on the group.

Plant0x84

Exactly. I would love McKenna as a future manager of United, but now isn’t the right time for him or for us. Let him keep Ipswich up or challenge for Europe with Brighton first. I fear for him if he comes here or goes to Chelsea.

Plant0x84

I think most fans are willing to support managers through difficult periods if they can see what they are trying to do. Moyes in 2013 and ten hag now have completely failed to install any sort of playing style on the group.
Difficult when your players are all injured, all season.

Also, Erik had success last season being pragmatic (allowing DDG to kick long and not insisting on playing out for example). This season he has stubbornly stuck to playing a certain way, trying to instil his principles on the team and has fallen flat on his face, largely because our players can’t/wont do as he asks.
So you can’t have it both ways, you either want pragmatism and working with what he has (very little this season) or you want a clearly identifiable style. Any manager is going to come up against this.

Judas

Open to offers
Other managers manage to get a squad to play to their style, why couldn't Ten Hag manage to do this? It's not just about the first 11, it's everyone, right down to the youth system.

ForeverRed1

Other managers manage to get a squad to play to their style, why couldn't Ten Hag manage to do this? It's not just about the first 11, it's everyone, right down to the youth system.
All United managers have had no style since fergie. We’ve literally said this with every one of the managers. Every manager has also been called the worst since fergie. Only thing it tells you as the longer the club is left to rot, the harder it gets.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
All United managers have had no style since fergie. We’ve literally said this with every one of the managers. Every manager has also been called the worst since fergie. Only thing it tells you as the longer the club is left to rot, the harder it gets.
LvG certainly had a style. It wasn't entertaining or even good most of the time, but it was clear what he wanted the team to do.
Think it wasn't too dissimilar for ETH in the first season, you could tell there was an idea. This season though, every kind of style has gone out of the window

saik

I'm not as vehemently ETH out as others and I did see us having some good performances this year and so wanted to see how he performs without being marred by off the field issues and injuries. As for the huge defensive gaps I think it was by design as he didn't trust his defenders(after the injuries to a whole lot of them) to have the recovery pace to deal with balls in behind and so took a chance with allowing opposition pot shots from outside the box vs one on ones with the keeper. And once we had players who have the pace he could push his defensive line higher up and you'd see less of those gaps.

Now, ofcourse we could say he could have been more pragmatic and changed his system but he probably wanted to train the players in this system rather than change it all around once again. I don't think he was helped by Casemiro lunging in at every opportunity or Garnacho/Rashford giving the ball away during transition either.

It's all a moot point now anyways as it seems he's more or less sacked but I don't think McKenna is the right option for us right now and is going to work miracles if he's hired like people are expecting. Tuchel or Pochettino are much more safer options for this squad right now considering the amount of pressure they are going to be under.

saik

Now the bolded I don't agree with. Have you seen the u-18s this year? I'd say they play very similarly to how he wanted the senior team to play; only they didn't have the constant injuries which meant chopping and changing every game and those players having an understanding of what everyone's role was supposed to be(which is improved by playing and training together).

pacifictheme

Difficult when your players are all injured, all season.

Also, Erik had success last season being pragmatic (allowing DDG to kick long and not insisting on playing out for example). This season he has stubbornly stuck to playing a certain way, trying to instil his principles on the team and has fallen flat on his face, largely because our players can’t/wont do as he asks.
So you can’t have it both ways, you either want pragmatism and working with what he has (very little this season) or you want a clearly identifiable style. Any manager is going to come up against this.
Spurs and Newcastle have had bad injuries and managed it. Villa too.

And what was the excuse last season?

NLunited

I'm not as vehemently ETH out as others and I did see us having some good performances this year and so wanted to see how he performs without being marred by off the field issues and injuries. As for the huge defensive gaps I think it was by design as he didn't trust his defenders(after the injuries to a whole lot of them) to have the recovery pace to deal with balls in behind and so took a chance with allowing opposition pot shots from outside the box vs one on ones with the keeper. And once we had players who have the pace he could push his defensive line higher up and you'd see less of those gaps.

Now, ofcourse we could say he could have been more pragmatic and changed his system but he probably wanted to train the players in this system rather than change it all around once again. I don't think he was helped by Casemiro lunging in at every opportunity or Garnacho/Rashford giving the ball away during transition either.

It's all a moot point now anyways as it seems he's more or less sacked but I don't think McKenna is the right option for us right now and is going to work miracles if he's hired like people are expecting. Tuchel or Pochettino are much more safer options for this squad right now considering the amount of pressure they are going to be under.
It is too much to grasp for the average ‘fan’. Any manager would have failed this season. Unless a lot of things fall into place, the next manager will be a bust too.

Smores

It is too much to grasp for the average ‘fan’. Any manager would have failed this season. Unless a lot of things fall into place, the next manager will be a bust too.
No they wouldn't :lol: We finished 8th, most decent managers would have had us somewhere between 3rd and 5th.

Glad when he's gone so this nonsense stops.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
LvG certainly had a style. It wasn't entertaining or even good most of the time, but it was clear what he wanted the team to do.
Think it wasn't too dissimilar for ETH in the first season, you could tell there was an idea. This season though, every kind of style has gone out of the window
Yep, there were proper tactics vids on how we would integrate Mount as the two attacking 8s. Casemiro was playing as one of them with Sabitizer or Eriksenn as the deepest. We were all quite happy with the direction, but the signings were just absolutely tragic.

saik

No they wouldn't :lol: We finished 8th, most decent managers would have had us somewhere between 3rd and 5th.

Glad when he's gone so this nonsense stops.
Yes they would with all the issues and injuries. When everyone's fit and firing, ETH could finish top 4 which he showed just last season. But sure let's forget that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Miss getting linked to every living being under the sun and their nan, it's been awfully quiet recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.