Trump/Russia/SDNY investigation

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Really? For what exactly, it seems I haven't really paid enough attention to the details of this Stormy thing.
Brand fraud charges relating to that $130,000.

He’s claiming it was a payment as a friend to Trump and Trump knew nothing of it. That means two things, one is that it’s a payment in kind and breaks campaign donation guidelines by about $125,000. The second is that it means Trump is not his client as Trump is not paying for this service. Therefore client attorney privilege cannot be claimed. If that’s the case it greatly increases the number of seized documents that can be used as evidence.

If he decides it was on behalf of Trump to preserve attorney-client privilige, he’s admitting that Trump was a both a beneficiary and an actor and he’s actually breaking the NDA by talking about it. Also it’s void anyway as Trump should then have signed the document which he didn’t.

Long story short, Avenatti is wearing a cape with his pants on the outside, moonwalking around the baseball field with a cigar in one hand, a scotch in the other casually waving at the crowd as he brings it home.

ChaddyP

What are the cases against him?
his home and lawyers office was raided by the feds. You dont have to be a legal genius to know that there will be an impending criminal case against him. any thing he says in the civil case can and will be used against him in a criminal case ( i assume you know the civil case that hes currently fighting unless you been living under a rock)

So in pleeding the fith is great for him in what would be an upcoming criminal case but it leads him wide open in the civil case

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
This seems like it has substance. There's enough to impeach with obstruction of justice, that's what Nixon was done for.

ChaddyP

This seems like it has substance. There's enough to impeach with obstruction of justice, that's what Nixon was done for.
Nixon wasn't actually impeached. And with 80 percent of Republican faithful still behind trump and a very partisan Congress I don't think he can be impeached yet

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Nixon wasn't actually impeached. And with 80 percent of Republican faithful still behind trump and a very partisan Congress I don't think he can be impeached yet
He was practically impeached in that he resigned because his impeachment was certain. Republicans were voting against him.

And much like this case, it wasn't the crime but the attempt to cover it up that put the nail in his coffin. You're right about the house though, but who's to say it won't take a while? Could be a swing in the elections.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Tempering my giddiness until there's an indication Trump was one of the recordees, get the feeling Cohen would've at least hard-deleted them when the net looked to be closing in.

ChaddyP

He was practically impeached in that he resigned because his impeachment was certain. Republicans were voting against him.

And much like this case, it wasn't the crime but the attempt to cover it up that put the nail in his coffin. You're right about the house though, but who's to say it won't take a while? Could be a swing in the elections.
Well he wasnt actually impeached and would have still needed 2/3s of the Senate to find him guilty. It may have happened it may not have.

Big difference is Nixon was at 20 percent approval. Trump probably will never reach there as his Base thinks this is all a Fecking witch hunt against him even if the evidence is right there in front of them

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Well he wasnt actually impeached and would have still needed 2/3s of the Senate to find him guilty. It may have happened it may not have.
He's the only President in history who had to resign because of the extent of his criminal activities in office. I think his impeachment was certain because people like Nixon and Kissinger don't resign unless there's an upside to it (pardon).

Big difference is Nixon was at 20 percent approval. Trump probably will never reach there as his Base thinks this is all a Fecking witch hunt against him even if the evidence is right there in front of them
Have to wait and see, but that is largely true. The media is also pathetic. Even those sections opposed to Trump have been getting it all wrong.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Nixon was absolutely sure that he didn't have the votes. He was going to be impeached and it was a republican delegation to the White House informing him of this that prompted his quick resignation.

Deleted member 101472

Is the media as powerful as I’m convincing myself it is, or will this just be smoke and mirrors?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Claiming the 5th amendment is all well and great if you are in a criminal case. But in a civil case the judge and jury are to expect that anything you refused to answer was damaging to you. So when your in a law suit you can see how that can be an issue as the defendant. Its why hes asked for a stay. Basically a pause on the case till i assume the criminal case is over. If he isnt granted the stay well hes up shit creek with out a boat
Here's the court filing: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4436864-Clifford-Stipulation.html

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Nixon never reached 20% approval, his low point was 24%. That appears to be the waterline where you can be proven to be a crazy criminal and still retain the support of your base.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Interesting analogy this.

Is Pence sorting his brother's wife out? I think we should be told.
No way, a senior Republican President or Vice-President would never have an extra-marital affair that he then tries to cover up.