Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
Under SAF, I remember Vidic playing on the right with Evans and on the left with Ferdinand.
Vidic mostly played on the left with Ferdinand on the right, although there was one season where they swapped but it was only for a few matches then they changed back.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Surely if van Gaal likes his left sided centre backs then he'll play. I do have more confidence in him than I do McNair, he appears to be a bit more level headed too.
Care to elaborate? Blackett has some interesting qualities, levelheadedness isn't one of them. In fact, his lack thereof is why I doubt he'll make it at United, despite being physically and technically gifted. McNair isn't as athletic but his head is screwed on considerably straighter.

m1y2

Just like he was bullied by Lukaku?
People acting like McNair is a win, he was far from convincing in back four on the ball, often thinking he's got plenty of time like he was with u21, while the game has been so much more faster and physical. I felt with every touch with him under pressure, closed down from strikers. Blackett looked the same though even I thought he looked quite more composed than McNair at times. Also wining in pace apart that physical thing. The big concern is his positioning but still I wouldn't care less if we played him.

It's not like we are playing for the title anymore and not like we have a big choice with Paddy as the second option..
We should do our best to beat them but we are not under pressure at all I'd say.

Brightonian

Neither of them is a great option, to be honest. LVG's left-footer thing has really hurt us. Without it, the two youngsters who'd have got their chance would have been Keane and Thorpe, both much more highly rated by those who watch the youth sides. It's all hypothetical, of course, but I can't help suspecting that either of those two would have ended up being a much more positive back-up option.

SirAF

Ageist
Vidic mostly played on the left with Ferdinand on the right, although there was one season where they swapped but it was only for a few matches then they changed back.
Yeah, Rio was always on the right apart from those few matches.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn't I said that ?

Acole9

Outstanding
Care to elaborate? Blackett has some interesting qualities, levelheadedness isn't one of them. In fact, his lack thereof is why I doubt he'll make it at United, despite being physically and technically gifted. McNair isn't as athletic but his head is screwed on considerably straighter.
I knew someone was going to question me on that. I've read a couple of interviews with van Gaal talking about Blackett and he's spoken very highly of him indeed.

McNair on the other hand, I recently read story in the paper about him and Pereira offering money to some girl to have sex with them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sort of but you made it sound like that it was a permanent thing.
Permanent ? Vidic side was dependent on who he was playing with. He was on the left almost all the time because he was with Ferdinand almost all the time.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Well to be fair, if you haven't watched the U21's like we have, and seen some terrible Blackett performances like we have, you'd probably think he was a very level-headed, calm player based off his time on the pre-season tour and in the first team. That's what I really don't get - aside from the Leicester game, I was impressed with Blackett's performances in the senior squad, but they were nothing like the sort that he put in regularly at lower levels. I've never really rated him, he has all the physical attributes and is good with the ball, but he's shown in the U21's that he's simply not good at defending.

I've not seen any U21 games this year mind, so maybe he's improved his game there, but in the last 3 seasons or so when I've watched the U21's he's never looked like a player who'll make it here. Especially when you consider our U18 prospects - Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, CBJ and RoShaun Williams.

khoazany

Well to be fair, if you haven't watched the U21's like we have, and seen some terrible Blackett performances like we have, you'd probably think he was a very level-headed, calm player based off his time on the pre-season tour and in the first team. That's what I really don't get - aside from the Leicester game, I was impressed with Blackett's performances in the senior squad, but they were nothing like the sort that he put in regularly at lower levels. I've never really rated him, he has all the physical attributes and is good with the ball, but he's shown in the U21's that he's simply not good at defending.

I've not seen any U21 games this year mind, so maybe he's improved his game there, but in the last 3 seasons or so when I've watched the U21's he's never looked like a player who'll make it here. Especially when you consider our U18 prospects - Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, CBJ and RoShaun Williams.
He hardly played many U21s games this season with the 3 matches ban after his red card.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
He hardly played many U21s games this season with the 3 matches ban after his red card.
I didn't know that a red card at senior level affected lower levels. And I thought 3 match bans were for red cards as a result of violent conduct, not for a professional foul?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I knew someone was going to question me on that. I've read a couple of interviews with van Gaal talking about Blackett and he's spoken very highly of him indeed.

McNair on the other hand, I recently read story in the paper about him and Pereira offering money to some girl to have sex with them.
I'm not questioning Blackett's professionalism - he's quite dedicated by all accounts - and if that's what you meant then I guess the word 'levelheaded' was confusing rather than wrong. And, while letting tabloid SEX SCANDALS influence your opinions is almost always a great idea, this particular SEX SCANDAL had nothing to do with McNair as he wasn't even aware of, let alone on-board with, Pereira's solicitation.

khoazany

I didn't know that a red card at senior level affected lower levels. And I thought 3 match bans were for red cards as a result of violent conduct, not for a professional foul?
He had another red card playing for the U21s.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Neither of them is a great option, to be honest. LVG's left-footer thing has really hurt us. Without it, the two youngsters who'd have got their chance would have been Keane and Thorpe, both much more highly rated by those who watch the youth sides. It's all hypothetical, of course, but I can't help suspecting that either of those two would have ended up being a much more positive back-up option.
Fairly sure McNair is right-footed.

Sid234

I think Van Gaal likes McNair because of his ability on the ball.. Some of his passing is excellent, i remember him playing a perfect through ball to set Rothwell 1v1 with the gk from our half in an U21's game recently.

Blackett dallies way too long on the ball to suit how we play now, and he serms to switch off a lot during matches and get caught out.

Getsme

People acting like McNair is a win, he was far from convincing in back four on the ball, often thinking he's got plenty of time like he was with u21, while the game has been so much more faster and physical. I felt with every touch with him under pressure, closed down from strikers. Blackett looked the same though even I thought he looked quite more composed than McNair at times. Also wining in pace apart that physical thing. The big concern is his positioning but still I wouldn't care less if we played him.

It's not like we are playing for the title anymore and not like we have a big choice with Paddy as the second option..
We should do our best to beat them but we are not under pressure at all I'd say.
Im simply saying that McNair wasn't bullied by Lukaku, yet for some reason you think Drogba will bully him and not Blackett.

Rake

The truith is both him and McNair had some good and some abmyssal performances. The rest is personal preference.

Personally i never feel safe when Blackett is playing. Whenever i see him play I can't help but think that he is rather good when he does not have to defend...

Neither is an ideal choice but sometimes that is how a player shows his worth - being thrown into the deep.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
The truith is both him and McNair had some good and some abmyssal performances. The rest is personal preference.

Personally i never feel safe when Blackett is playing. Whenever i see him play I can't help but think that he is rather good when he does not have to defend...

Neither is an ideal choice but sometimes that is how a player shows his worth - being thrown into the deep.
Abysmal is pretty harsh, they were thrown into the deep end. They might not have put in a world class display but considering the circumstances they have both been very good. I know among a lot of fans, it's either 10/10 or a waste of space but overall both have been very good.

m1y2

Im simply saying that McNair wasn't bullied by Lukaku, yet for some reason you think Drogba will bully him and not Blackett.
I don't remember much of the game tbh but hasn't Lukaku played out wide?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Very very annoying performance and a pointless sub. Does he not know a full back is supposed overlap his winger? Stood there watching90% of the time.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Can't see him being good enough, deer in the headlights springs to mind. Loan next season for sure.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The worse thing is he doesn't actually ever look out of place at the U21 level.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Like I said in the substitutions thread there is no chance Van Gaal would have brought on Blackett for "tactical" reasons. Blackett unfortunately isn't good enough

Devil may care

Only came on because LvG either felt Shaw was tiring or he'd decided beforehand that Shaw wouldn't play the 90.. Blackett looks out of his depth.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I just don't think he's a left back. Certainly not one to offer a forward threat when we're chasing a game.

I'm reserving judgement on Tyler Blackett the centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.