Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mersault

So, what do people think? Will he feature a lot this season? Looks imposing and could be an ideal cover as the left sided center back in a back 3 (even a back-up left back)

Would be amazing to see 3-4 youngsters get properly into the fold this season
(couldn't find a thread on him)

edit: Didn't see the other thread on him. Never really had great success with the search engine on the caf...

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I thought he was one of the dew players who looked poor yesterday. I can understand the nerves but he gave the ball away on a couple of errant passes, showed no urgency in retrieving the ball and generally looked very lethargic. That's pretty harsh assessment but he really looked shaky to me as a defender.

Mersault

I don't think he had an amazing outing, but nor did Shaw for that matter. The word Warren Barton (commenting) used to describe Shaw was timid. I'm inclined to agree.

Last I saw Blackett he was physically weaker, looks like he's getting bigger and Van Gaal had a few center backs who managed to execute this system perfectly in Brazil despite, perhaps, their lack of technical ability. 20 years old is young enough to enroll into the Van Gaal education program.

SteveW

So, what do people think? Will he feature a lot this season? Looks imposing and could be an ideal cover as the left sided center back in a back 3 (even a back-up left back)

Would be amazing to see 3-4 youngsters get properly into the fold this season
(couldn't find a thread on him)

edit: Didn't see the other thread on him. Never really had great success with the search engine on the caf...
I don't like to be overly critical of young players but I don't think he has a chance at United. He's a good athlete but doesn't have enough quality on the ball to play at this level. His discomfort in possession was painfully evident last night. I don't think it would have come as a surprise to anyone who is familiar with his game.

It's no slight on the lad. I think he will make a reasonable Championship player which is nothing to be ashamed of

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Said in his reserve forum thread that aside from one mistake where he got caught under the ball, he didn't do an awful lot wrong and was growing into the game as the 2nd half went on.

Time is on his side, if he listens and learns he can occupy that LCB role, even if only as cover for LB as well. Reckon he might surprise a few.

SteveW

Said in his reserve forum thread that aside from one mistake where he got caught under the ball, he didn't do an awful lot wrong and was growing into the game as the 2nd half went on.

Time is on his side, if he listens and learns he can occupy that LCB role, even if only as cover for LB as well. Reckon he might surprise a few.
Based on what? Barring athleticism what do you feel he offers?

forevrared

He seemed a natural successor to Evra a few years back, then his development seemed to stall a bit. Hope this is the start of him getting back on track.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Based on what? Barring athleticism what do you feel he offers?
Call it a feeling, his athleticism is a good starting point though, he has the experience of playing both LB and CB and if he can marry those two then he can excel in a back 3. As I said though he will need to listen and he will need to learn. I don't think he is as far away as some suggest.

Opinions eh ?

SteveW

Call it a feeling, his athleticism is a good starting point though, he has the experience of playing both LB and CB and if he can marry those two then he can excel in a back 3. As I said though he will need to listen and he will need to learn. I don't think he is as far away as some suggest.

Opinions eh ?
I don't think he has really excelled in either position and he's not a good enough ball player for the first team imo. Anyway let's wait and see. It's never nice criticising young players so I'm going to stop now.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I thought he was the poorest of our players. Misplaced a pass a few times and looked very uncomfortable in possession. And this is with a poor Galaxy barely posing any threat.
Been back and watched the second half again. It is as I thought, a decent performance from a young lad in a new role.

A couple of times when he ceded possession he was left with little he could do, one of the balls played to him took a nasty bounce and he got it safe. One was an attempted through pass which I'm not going to eat his lunch for. 3 I would put him at fault for. (Michael Keane had 2 for balance sake)

He looked good with the ball at feet bringing it out, doing that started the move with Ashley Young's deft flick that Herrera over hit the return on. He rode a challenge beating a man in doing so for that one.

Made a good near post clearance from a set piece and snuffed out a Rob Friend chance near the end, used his body well a couple of times to end attacks from them as well.

Nothing amazing, and against a side we are clearly better than, but in no way should people be as down on his performance as they have been.

Momochiru

Been back and watched the second half again. It is as I thought, a decent performance from a young lad in a new role.

A couple of times when he ceded possession he was left with little he could do, one of the balls played to him took a nasty bounce and he got it safe. One was an attempted through pass which I'm not going to eat his lunch for. 3 I would put him at fault for. (Michael Keane had 2 for balance sake)

He looked good with the ball at feet bringing it out, doing that started the move with Ashley Young's deft flick that Herrera over hit the return on. He rode a challenge beating a man in doing so for that one.

Made a good near post clearance from a set piece and snuffed out a Rob Friend chance near the end, used his body well a couple of times to end attacks from them as well.

Nothing amazing, and against a side we are clearly better than, but in no way should people be as down on his performance as they have been.
Maybe for a young lad it wasn't that bad, I just think the rest of the players were better. Still early days - lets see how he performs against better teams the rest of the pre-season.

Midnight1811

He was on the tour a few years back, looked ok. Nothing more. Just another person coming along to enjoy the ride. Thankfully he'll remain a minnow, similar to that of Phil Barsdley

NoPace

Looked shaky on the ball, which is too bad since he's a more natural fit as an LCB than anyone else we have in that he's left-footed, sort of quick and has played left-back and center back.

NoPace

That reminds me that Fryers would have also been in a good spot to fight for LCB minutes now, had he not left.

Red Comet

That reminds me that Fryers would have also been in a good spot to fight for LCB minutes now, had he not left.
Fryers hasn't exactly been a revelation at Spurs. As of last season he's still struggling to get into the 1st team.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
I thought he was the poorest of our players. Misplaced a pass a few times and looked very uncomfortable in possession. And this is with a poor Galaxy barely posing any threat.
I keep seeing these same kind of comments whenever it's mentioned that Fletcher, Young, Blackett etc had a good match. It's almost always the Galaxy were crap, in order to lessen their contribution. Which I suppose could be valid. But maybe I missed it, but no one ever mentions that Herrera had an outstanding match cause the Galaxy were shite. That his through balls were splitting a crap, poorly positioned defense. That anyone would look good against that Galaxy side, especially in the second half . . .

Momochiru

I keep seeing these same kind of comments whenever it's mentioned that Fletcher, Young, Blackett etc had a good match. It's almost always the Galaxy were crap, in order to lessen their contribution. Which I suppose could be valid. But maybe I missed it, but no one ever mentions that Herrera had an outstanding match cause the Galaxy were shite. That his through balls were splitting a crap, poorly positioned defense. That anyone would look good against that Galaxy side, especially in the second half . . .
You don't see these comments about Herrera, because it was obvious that he is head and shoulders above the opposition. Blackett on the other hand had some shaky moments and more or less played on the same level as Galaxy. Anyway, I'm willing to cut him some slack with him being a young lad and all that, but I have to say from the three youngsters the other day he impressed the least and doesn't look ready for the first team yet. However it's early days, lets wait and see...

jem

Fryers hasn't exactly been a revelation at Spurs. As of last season he's still struggling to get into the 1st team.
I saw him playing with Spurs against Toronto F.C. the other night. An absolutely tumescent affair - Spurs were awful, with the exception of Lamela, who looked very good.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You don't see these comments about Herrera, because it was obvious that he is head and shoulders above the opposition. Blackett on the other hand had some shaky moments and more or less played on the same level as Galaxy. Anyway, I'm willing to cut him some slack with him being a young lad and all that, but I have to say from the three youngsters the other day he impressed the least and doesn't look ready for the first team yet. However it's early days, lets wait and see...
Such as ?

You don't see the comments about Herrera because it's in vogue to play down our own products performances whilst over-rating others. I have seen Tom Cleverley get stick for his performance bizarrely.

They both must have been terrible, to be rewarded by van Gaal with 90 minutes this evening.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Impression I've always got of Blackett is strong and quick but loses concentration too much, haven't seen him since he was captain of the U18's mind.

Conrad

I've always thought he was pretty good technically. He's always impressed me with his attacking play from left back and that volley he hit in last years reserves final was a near perfect execution of an incredibly hard shot. I can only assume his incredible physique is what's leading some to write him off as just an athlete. I'd agree with others that his main problem is his concentration in defence and his attitude didn't seem great at Birmingham.

ArmchairCritic

I've always thought he was pretty good technically. He's always impressed me with his attacking play from left back and that volley he hit in last years reserves final was a near perfect execution of an incredibly hard shot. I can only assume his incredible physique is what's leading some to write him off as just an athlete. I'd agree with others that his main problem is his concentration in defence and his attitude didn't seem great at Birmingham.
Blackpool? Was he at Birmingham too? He's got a real good technique too, scored a great free-kick or long ranger once in the U18's I'm certain.

Drifter

American
Looked very calm and composed of what i saw of him.Can fully understand why Van Gaal wants to take a good look at him.

Conrad

Blackpool? Was he at Birmingham too? He's got a real good technique too, scored a great free-kick or long ranger once in the U18's I'm certain.
Yeah, he was on loan at both clubs. At one of them he had a bit of a strop after being subbed, possibly in the first half, and seemed to be frozen out after that. Nothing too outrageous for someone who was 19 at the time but far from ideal.

ArmchairCritic

Hmmm, I always thought he had something about him a few years back but I thought he had stagnated. Thorpe and Keane are ahead of him in terms of backup CB's I reckon, let's see what Van Gaal can do with him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Hopefully he takes his chance. It's always great to see the kids playing

Momochiru

Against Roma, van Gaal confirmed they were both playing the full 90
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that LVG has decided that our top CBs shouldn't play on the left of back three. Jones and Evans in the middle and Jones and Smalling on the right. It's 95% sure we are getting a left footed CB. Blackett is being evaluated if he can cover as a backup to the new CB. Let's see how he does. Roma will play with two wingers and I can see them targeting our left side, especially in the second half when Blackett tires. It's going to be a big test for him.

Ekeke

I'm surprised people are suggesting he looked shaky on the ball.

Watching the 2nd half twice I felt he was composed and assured on the ball and even played his way out of trouble. He slightly overhit a long pass that started the move for one of our goals too. He reminded me a bit of Bruno Martins Indi for the Dutch side this summer.

At the same time I felt he did probably the least defensively of the players used in the back 3 in that match

ArmchairCritic

I'm surprised people are suggesting he looked shaky on the ball.

Watching the 2nd half twice I felt he was composed and assured on the ball and even played his way out of trouble. He slightly overhit a long pass that started the move for one of our goals too. He reminded me a bit of Bruno Martins Indi for the Dutch side this summer.

At the same time I felt he did probably the least defensively of the players used in the back 3 in that match
Was gonna say that but didn't want to be accused of racial stereotyping :nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.