Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Obviously in a fully available squad, Blackett and McNair wouldn't get anywhere near the lineup this season.

But it's a hell of an experience for them. A proper chance to look at whether they'll have the potential to improve and one day be proper regulars, or whether they'll still be jury out types like the rest of them years on.

lysglimt

Scout
For me it's quite simple really.

I trust McNair to do a solid job - with Blackett I almost get a heart-attack every time he gets the ball. It might not be fair based on what he has done in the first-team, but I have seen him enough times in the Academy and reserves to know that it is likely to happen once in a while. But I will be the first to admit that Blackett has a potential few others can match.....if he can avoid making those errors.

Kag

Michael Keane is considerably better than Blackett at defending. There's so much evidence to suggest that too, most notably his outstanding season at Leicester, a progression we readily messed up by dicking him around in the reserves again last season.

Keane was 19 and part of the best defence in the Championship. That's as impressive as Evans at a similar age.

Blackett moved ahead of him in the summer due to circumstance as opposed to defensive ability. Lack of left footed defenders being the main reason why.

Loublaze

ATLien
Michael Keane is considerably better than Blackett at defending. There's so much evidence to suggest that too, most notably his outstanding season at Leicester, a progression we readily messed up by dicking him around in the reserves again last season.

Keane was 19 and part of the best defence in the Championship. That's as impressive as Evans at a similar age.

Blackett moved ahead of him in the summer due to circumstance as opposed to defensive ability. Lack of left footed defenders being the main reason why.
Who cares that he's left footed? In addition to that he has ability and you're downplaying it. He's ahead of Keane and Thorpe who are both older than he is. Whatever circumstances you may come up with, it remains a fact that LVG clearly sees something in him that he didn't see in Keane.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Who cares that he's left footed? In addition to that he has ability and you're downplaying it. He's ahead of Keane and Thorpe who are both older than he is. Whatever circumstances you may come up with, it remains a fact that LVG clearly sees something in him that he didn't see in Keane.
You do have a fair point that Blackett must have done something to get himself into the first team, but also keep in mind who Blackett has to compete with for his spot.

Blackett's only competition for the roles he can play are Shaw, Rojo, and Blind (LB and LCB).

Keane, Thorpe, and McNair have Smalling, Jones, and Evans to compete against (RCB).

We have 6 RCB's who can possibly play for the first team at RCB. That results in lots of competition for Keane, Thorpe, and McNair. On the other hand, we have 2 players who can possibly play for the first team at LCB. Thus, Blackett has fewer obstacles to overcome than Keane, Thorpe, and McNair.

Also, it says quite a lot that van Gaal would play Blind at LCB against Crystal Palace than play Blackett there. It's apparent that van Gaal doesn't see much promise in Blackett as a central defender in a 2-man-defence formation. I would even say that he doesn't see much in the 3-man-defence formation as I'm sure that, if Rojo and Blind were available, he'd play one of those two ahead of Blackett.

Regardless of how Blackett's getting his first-team appearances, it's a great chance for Blackett to assert himself into the first team and prove van Gaal that he's a worthy first-team player. However, for me, he looks out of sorts as a central defender and is still much better off as a full back, which I see as his natural role.

Loublaze

ATLien
You do have a fair point that Blackett must have done something to get himself into the first team, but also keep in mind who Blackett has to compete with for his spot.

Blackett's only competition for the roles he can play are Shaw, Rojo, and Blind (LB and LCB).

Keane, Thorpe, and McNair have Smalling, Jones, and Evans to compete against (RCB).

We have 6 RCB's who can possibly play for the first team at RCB. That results in lots of competition for Keane, Thorpe, and McNair. On the other hand, we have 2 players who can possibly play for the first team at LCB. Thus, Blackett has fewer obstacles to overcome than Keane, Thorpe, and McNair.

Also, it says quite a lot that van Gaal would play Blind at LCB against Crystal Palace than play Blackett there. It's apparent that van Gaal doesn't see much promise in Blackett as a central defender in a 2-man-defence formation. I would even say that he doesn't see much in the 3-man-defence formation as I'm sure that, if Rojo and Blind were available, he'd play one of those two ahead of Blackett.

Regardless of how Blackett's getting his first-team appearances, it's a great chance for Blackett to assert himself into the first team and prove van Gaal that he's a worthy first-team player. However, for me, he looks out of sorts as a central defender and is still much better off as a full back, which I see as his natural role.
Shaw, Rojo and Blind (coincidentally all injured at the moment) are not as injury prone as the other three and will start most games. I can just as easily say that LVG doesn't see much in Thorpe and Keane because he allowed Keane leave on loan and he hasn't played Thorpe at all despite the three players they are back ups to being so in and out with injuries. LVG rates Blackett and McNair over Keane and Thorpe

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Didn't Vermijl play LCB? Keane RCB and Evans CB? Vermijl is comfortable on his left and has experience playing LCB and LB for the reserves though so that is why he'd play there despite being right footed.

I agree on Blackett getting played because he is left footed.
I thought Evans was at LCB? I remember him making a shoddy pass out there almost leading to a goal. Might have got it mixed up.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I thought Evans was at LCB? I remember him making a shoddy pass out there almost leading to a goal. Might have got it mixed up.
Just looked at the highlights and it is Keane right, Evans centre, and Vermijl left. Evans is out the left and gives the ball away for the first goal but Vermijl is even further out the left on the touchline. You probably just don't want to remember that night and I can't blame you.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Just looked at the highlights and it is Keane right, Evans centre, and Vermijl left. Evans is out the left and gives the ball away for the first goal but Vermijl is even further out the left on the touchline. You probably just don't want to remember that night and I can't blame you.
I've removed it from my memory. I actually can't remember much from the game, if anything.

jem

A left foot.
I know I'll probably come off as tactically naive, but I'm sick of all this left-footed/right-footed stuff regarding our CBs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't both Rio and Vidic right-footed? There is no pairing that I would take over that one (when both were in their prime of course,) so all this left foot/right foot stuff being the prime determiner in who plays or gets signed is a bit tiresome.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
After the game I felt that he was pretty poor and made a lot of mistakes but having seen it again I realised that he did very well in the second half. Just like the Everton game where he made a crazy block at the end, he was in the right positions in the box a lot of times on Saturday.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I know I'll probably come off as tactically naive, but I'm sick of all this left-footed/right-footed stuff regarding our CBs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't both Rio and Vidic right-footed? There is no pairing that I would take over that one (when both were in their prime of course,) so all this left foot/right foot stuff being the prime determiner in who plays or gets signed is a bit tiresome.
They were, yes. I agree with you, there is a benefit to having a left/right foot combination but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The thing is though that van Gaal is a bit of a weird guy and it seems to be quite important to him, personally I hope he ditches it and just plays the best pairing whether one is left footed or not.

jem

They were, yes. I agree with you, there is a benefit to having a left/right foot combination but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The thing is though that van Gaal is a bit of a weird guy and it seems to be quite important to him, personally I hope he ditches it and just plays the best pairing whether one is left footed or not.
Agreed (and just to be clear, my little 'rant' was at LVG's policy, not at your comment.)

Loublaze

ATLien
Agreed. Its bullshit

Loublaze

ATLien
After the game I felt that he was pretty poor and made a lot of mistakes but having seen it again I realised that he did very well in the second half. Just like the Everton game where he made a crazy block at the end, he was in the right positions in the box a lot of times on Saturday.
Agreed. Yet for some reason some will only look at the mistakes he made. McNair made a few mistakes of his own as well. They both still had very good moments in the second half

khoazany

Agreed. Yet for some reason some will only look at the mistakes he made. McNair made a few mistakes of his own as well. They both still had very good moments in the second half
Agree.He might or might not make it at United that's the story for the future but what I disappoint about is a lot of posters here ignore his massive defensive contribution in the match especially the second half.He did play a role in our win but at the end was abused like he scored a hat trick own goal or something.

Loublaze

ATLien
Agree.He might or might not make it at United that's the story for the future but what I disappoint about is a lot of posters here ignore his massive defensive contribution in the match especially the second half.He did play a role in our win but at the end was abused like he scored a hat trick own goal or something.
Yea its crazy.

Loublaze

ATLien
I actually think Mcnair, except yesterday has been solid if not spectacular, and i don't know if anybody has noticed it, with Blackett it seems like the jump from reserves to first team is far too big for him, he takes far too long on the ball before deciding what to do with it and gets robbed, and constantly hoofs it forward to nobody, it actually pisses me off to see him being that much casual, while Mcnair looks focused and solid, although both are in-experienced, i actually think Mcnair can make it here, hence he wouldn't get as much criticism from me or other people, while for Blackett, i feel he will never make it here and he doesn't have the potential and ability as a player to succeed here.
So its fair to shoot rounds of criticism to Blackett because he won't make it here anyway, but McNair can get away with a diabolical performance because you see more potential in him? Did you see Blackett in preseason? He showed a lot of potential and LVG was impressed. I don't even care that it was preseason, he played very well against some good teams. He's also played well in the PL, making some vital blocks and clearances and I remember one acrobatic one against Everton (right before De Geas crazy save at the end) and against Arsenal. The Everton one was certainly going in but his save didn't get anywhere near the attention McNair's equally good heading save got against West Ham.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Still a massive fan of Blackett and think he has performed very well for us. Can't say if he will have a future here or not with the money we can spend but I think he will earn a place in van Gaal's plans.

Mersault

Still a massive fan of Blackett and think he has performed very well for us. Can't say if he will have a future here or not with the money we can spend but I think he will earn a place in van Gaal's plans.
Fully agree.

kundalini

I thought he played well, with the exception of his poor control that led to being booked for a foul. Seemed weird that Blackett had no problem feeding the ball into our forwards, when the defence had appeared incapable of doing so in the first half.

ZDwyr

Thought he was decent when he came on. Will be inconsistent because of his age but he did better than Evans.

Golden Nugget

I thought he played well, with the exception of his poor control that led to being booked for a foul. Seemed weird that Blackett had no problem feeding the ball into our forwards, when the defence had appeared incapable of doing so in the first half.
This. I didn't notice him too much defensively, but he was very willing to play the ball forwards, usually picking out his man. I still have faith in him

Status
Not open for further replies.