Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
1. Why not? Its been reported in different media outlets, same with Paddy McNair. You don't think LVG rates him? He's going to be offered a contract soon. His current one is up in summer. Want to take a friendly bet on it?
2. He doesn't just hoof it, he usually plays measured long balls and he's usually good at them. LVG likes us to pass out of the back, so its obvious Blackett is being instructed or encouraged to play it long because he's good at it. It seems you choose to only think of the instances where he missed his target and proceed to deem him a 'hoof the ball up' player. Have you taken notice of the many times when he found his man? People had no problems with his long balls when they were consistently finding their targets in pre-season and in games leading up to Burnley. After Burnley now he's a hoof the ball up player all of a sudden, its not true.
3. Yes, strong, quick and athletic, physical attributes that help defenders do their job more effectively. If Evans was more quick and strong on the ball he wouldn't struggle so much against pacy and physical strikers.
4. Yes, overall he has good anticipation. If you want to go back to preseason, he was one of our best players. Also, since you're okay with using examples from Preseason, look at the Real Madrid game, he kept Ronaldo in his pocket and matched him for pace. There was one instance when Ronaldo tried several dribbles and stepovers against Blackett and he failed to get past him. I guess you'll say Ronaldo wasn't match fit, but neither was anyone else really in pre-season.

Look at this video, 20 seconds in you'll see Blackett's excellent anticipation and positional awareness against best player in the world Ronaldo. The video is full of other instances where Blackett used his speed, skill and anticipation well against speedy players. Puts Evans to shame. After the 1 minute mark you see five instances where Blackett plays well measured long balls that find their target, hence why I say LVG probably gives him license to do so. He even made our defense look calm when he replaced Evans in the final game against Liverpool in Miami. Look at the entire video and you'll see why LVG made him a full member of the squad.

5. Why don't you care for passing stats? What context would suit you better? Forward passes? Pass completion? You may not care for passing but I'll tell who cares about it, LVG. LVG wants ball playing CBs and Blackett fits his philosophy. FYI Blackett has played and completed more forward passes than McNair this season, just as an example.

6. This is a moot point. Who bloody cares that he only got his chance because he's left footed? He took his chance well and the reality is that he's being rewarded with games. Yes, LVG took him because he's left footed, but he impressed him without a doubt. Keane obviously didn't impress him, Thorpe obviously hasn't impressed him. The theme here is LVG will only play you if he thinks you're good enough. IMO you're deluded in thinking Blackett isn't in this team on merit, and you're wasting your time thinking in alternative outcomes. Blackett is not on loan in the championship, he's a fully fledged member of Manchester United's first team and you can't take it, IMO.
1. No thanks mate.
2. He looks calm on the ball. I wouldn't say he is a good passer.
3. I don't doubt that it helps defenders. Just that I'd rather they were intelligent with their game. Carrick looks a better CB than Blackett.
4. People don't make comps of players being shit. And pre season is a different story, we were beating Roma and Real and yet couldnt beat Burnley and Sunderland at the start of the season. An in season Ronaldo would take the piss out of Blackett.
5. I meant I don't care much for passing stats for defenders. They can pass it to their CB partner 100 times and it will look like they are a passing master on the stats.
6. If he was right footed he wouldn't get a sniff. I am comparing him to our other CB's. He'd be behind McNair.

Don't really want to carry on this Blackett debate. I just don't think he has it in him to be a good CB. Certainly never in a back four. I'd have Carrick and McNair in there before him.

But hey, I don't think Lingard will make it here either, so maybe I'm just being harsh. What I have seen of Blackett though just reeks of incompetence in terms of reading runs from opposition forwards. You can be as big and strong as you like, that doesn't beat anticipation and reading runs and movement. It just doesn't seem natural to him, at all.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I actually like him a lot. I think he is the better talent of him and McNair and I hope he stays in the first team for some time. I'd much prefer he get game time over Evans, for example. He had a little period where he was a bit shit this season but I think all the tools are there for him to be a good player for us.

Loublaze

ATLien
I actually like him a lot. I think he is the better talent of him and McNair and I hope he stays in the first team for some time. I'd much prefer he get game time over Evans, for example. He had a little period where he was a bit shit this season but I think all the tools are there for him to be a good player for us.
He shits all over Evans, and so does McNair. I look forward to seeing him at OT for a long time

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Neither Blackett nor McNair are United quality.
They're still very young, though. Granted, Blackett's positioning at the goal today was poor and he's often not been convincing, but I think it's kind of harsh to completely write off two youth prospects at a young age.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Too early to write off his United career, but today I blame him for the goal. Every replay just highlights what a pathetic attempt to clear the ball it was. It seemed like he might have already been picturing his heroic goal line clearance and lost focus.

Eugenius

I think if Blackett wasn't left footed he'd be nowhere near the team. McNair is short on confidence, but have seen far better reading and anticipation of the game from him. Blackett had no idea what to be doing at all points during the build up to their goal. Not to mention 4 of the goals vs Leicester coming down his side.

khoazany

Is it just me or it is Carrick who was on fault of that goal?Blackett had to move inside to thwart that Southampton attacker who was supposed to be marked by Carrick which left their player on Blackett's left nobody to mark.

Roboc7

Very poor play for their goal, no positional awareness but it's not his fault we lost, LVG should take the blame today.

Mojo_pin

Bad permance from Tyler. He's not United quality and should move. Hopefully Rojo will be back soon so we won't have to see him in the team again (not that this 3 CB bs should continue.)

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Can't blame him. He's a youngster without any substantial experience.

It's shocking that we are still forced to play that type of players. Just shocking...

Bojan11

Can't blame him. He's a youngster without any substantial experience.

It's shocking that we are still forced to play that type of players. Just shocking...
We not.

We had Evans on the bench, who has played on the left side of defence for the past month.

FromTheBench

Wtf was he even doing for their goal ?

He doesn't have much positional awareness or aerial prowess when challenged off long balls.

untitled_6899

His introduction created uncertainly in our defence and Southampton took advantage

Not good enough for United

drdoityourself

He is positionally uncertain and always sees himself as the one who has to make the long passes, which always end up with the other team. He just isn't good enough, that's quite obvious.

kundalini

Is it just me or it is Carrick who was on fault of that goal?Blackett had to move inside to thwart that Southampton attacker who was supposed to be marked by Carrick which left their player on Blackett's left nobody to mark.
Having watched it numerous times. I don't think Blackett made a serious error. He could have tried to play off-side but that's not the percentage play in that type of situation. Carrick's positioning for the initial kick up the field from the keeper basically ignored the threat from the free man. We seemed to be fine until Smalling chose to put pressure on the player with the ball, who already had Blackett between him and the goal. Had Smalling instead tracked Pelle, who was free once he got up off the floor, which is what you'd expect him to do, it would have reduced the threat.

Last edited:

Kag

Said it before and I'll say it again, he doesn't understand how to position himself on a football field. He didn't for the youth team, he didn't for Birmingham and he doesn't for the first team. In his defence, he was thrown on by Van Gaal rather needlessly. He's out of his depth and it isn't really his fault.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
How some think this guy is anywhere near good enough is baffling, not better than any random defender in the Championship, not the first time that he's looked clueless. Is big, strong, tall, and knows how to hoof it, no more can be said. Ship him off before he costs us more.

Devil may care

Harsh on him, he wasn't good but wow some are going in hard on a young player thrown into a game where we looked poor to begin with.

khoazany

Having watched it numerous times. I don't think Blackett made a serious error. He could have tried to play off-side but that's not the percentage play in that type of situation. Carrick's positioning for the initial kick up the field from the keeper basically ignored the threat from the free man. We seemed to be fine until Smalling chose to put pressure on the player with the ball, who already had Blackett between him and the goal. Had Smalling instead tracked Pelle, who was free once he got up off the floor, which is what you'd expect him to do, it would have made it reduced the threat.
Agree.I don't think he has a long term future with us but some of the criticisms here...Those hoofs were clearly instructed by LVG as well as we were running out of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.