g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Tyler Blackett image 42

Tyler Blackett England flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

Harsh on him, he wasn't good but wow some are going in hard on a young player thrown into a game where we looked poor to begin with.
We looked controlled in defence until he came on. Then panic ensured and doesn't help he hoofs every ball.

Boycott

Neither of them are good enough. The point was made about how both were behind Keane in the academy picture. Keane is a proper defender first and foremost, what he lacks in pace and ball possession he makes up for being robust. McNair and Blackett are doing their best, and have done well comparatively at times, but you see when they have to use their judgement to defend they look so out of their depth.

Devil may care

We looked controlled in defence until he came on. Then panic ensured and doesn't help he hoofs every ball.
I didnt think we poor defensively tbf. Other areas were a lot worse today.
I just think we looked flat in general and he wasn't the only defender that was poor on their goal. I'm not even saying the lad has a real future at United, but he seems to get a worse thrashing post-match than almost anyone despite barely being in double figures when it comes to senior appearances.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think it's very harsh he was rated as our worst performer today. He wasn't as bad as RVP, Di Maria or Smalling.

beergod

Said it before and I'll say it again, he doesn't understand how to position himself on a football field. He didn't for the youth team, he didn't for Birmingham and he doesn't for the first team. In his defence, he was thrown on by Van Gaal rather needlessly. He's out of his depth and it isn't really his fault.
Agreed. He needs to be out on loan learning how to be a defender.

Deleted member 78215

I think it's very harsh he was rated as our worst performer today. He wasn't as bad as RVP, Di Maria or Smalling.
Eh? Smalling was mopping up everything, winning everything against that big bastard Pelle. Once Blackett came on, well, it went to shit.

LLMU

Too casual in his approach sometimes. He looks like someone who needs a second or two to think of what to do before playing the ball.
But i just hope he kept on working hard to improve his flaws rather than think that he has made it.

Classical Mechanic

Too casual in his approach sometimes. He looks like someone who needs a second or two to think of what to do before playing the ball.
But i just hope he kept on working hard to improve his flaws rather than think that he has made it.
I actually thought in real time that he would easily clear the shot that went in. I wonder if his reaction times are a little slow.

Loublaze

ATLien
Don't know why people think he's better than McNair.
Most people rate McNair over Blackett. I don't think either one of them will see much time on the bench after we sign a CB or two. Its funny how people's views change after games though. Blackett might play against QPR, give a 7-8/10 performance and the posts here will dramatically change to choruses of praise

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Blackett is some athlete, i think he has a chance.

But he's raw, raw like a vampire's steak. He needs a successful League 1 loan because he's probably not really ready for the Championship, as far as his technical ability.

I don't want to see him get by on physicality and never acquire top level technique, like Mika Richards.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Eh? Smalling was mopping up everything, winning everything against that big bastard Pelle. Once Blackett came on, well, it went to shit.
Blackett made 3 mistakes for the goal! Why LVG didn't bring Evans on is beyond me! Sometimes it feels likes LVG tries to be to clever instead of doing the obvious!

m1y2

so we came from - who is this guy/how the hell this guy could make the summer tour squad after such terrible loan spells TO this guy surprised me a lot, what a man that van Gaal he must have seen some potential and it's paying of I think he has got top player in him AND FINALLY TO he is crap can't play even in league or ligue un?

ffs some consistency in opinions although I admit it was very easy to get carried away after his performances from summer tour and the same was with fletcher...

Blackett is a great athlete and strong man but looks clumsy and error prone, can't really defend so I am not sure at what position he could make it at us. I guess non? He is good with the ball but not good enough to play any other position. I think he will end up in Championship but wouldn't write him off yet, I would like to see him on loan somewhere where he plays every game so he can start to learn how to defend. Any lower table championship team who could actually play him unlike Birmingham or Blackpool? Well are there any worse?

Loublaze

ATLien
What panic? Southampton never really threatened us. Blackett doesn't just hoof up the ball either, he plays measured long balls and two of them found their target. Its clear that LVG instructs him to do this because he thinks he's good enough to do it. This 'hoof the ball up' thing is overstated.

Loublaze

ATLien
Blackett made 3 mistakes for the goal! Why LVG didn't bring Evans on is beyond me! Sometimes it feels likes LVG tries to be to clever instead of doing the obvious!
The same Evans who has given away a goalscoring chance to the opposition in almost every game he's played this season?

Ringo 07

Bringing him on cost us the game. He is very shaky. He looks about 2 years away from being ready to make cameo appearances for us

Mersault

He made a mistake for the goal for sure, but the whole back line was at fault for the goal. He did not cost us the game any more than Mata's 3 misses did, or our bad passing in the attacking third, or the formation. Saying that, I did find it odd that he didn't keep Blind as left-sided center back and use Blackett as a wing back, purely for the pace.

Loublaze

ATLien
He made a mistake for the goal for sure, but the whole back line was at fault for the goal. He did not cost us the game any more than Mata's 3 misses did, or our bad passing in the attacking third, or the formation. Saying that, I did find it odd that he didn't keep Blind as left-sided center back and use Blackett as a wing back, purely for the pace.
Blind was LWB for his crossing and it nearly worked

Mersault

Blind was LWB for his crossing and it nearly worked
True, but he's super slow so in a defensive sense, he's a risk against pacey wingers which Southampton do have + overlapping full backs. My point was mainly though that it's extremely harsh to put the blame of not getting a point at home to Southampton on Blackett's shoulders.

Loublaze

ATLien
True, but he's super slow so in a defensive sense, he's a risk against pacey wingers which Southampton do have + overlapping full backs. My point was mainly though that it's extremely harsh to put the blame of not getting a point at home to Southampton on Blackett's shoulders.
I agree. The culture of scapegoating in English football continues

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I keep hearing how he's slow all the time but I have yet to somehow see that effect him or let him down in a match performance. He's so good to mask that deficiency if he indeed does have it.

NinjaFletch

I keep hearing how he's slow all the time but I have yet to somehow see that effect him or let him down in a match performance. He's so good to mask that deficiency if he indeed does have it.
Blind?

It's very noticeable, he's obviously intelligent enough to position himself well to mask it but when he's forced into making recovery runs due to others errors he looks like he's running through treacle.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Blind?

It's very noticeable, he's obviously intelligent enough to position himself well to mask it but when he's forced into making recovery runs due to others errors he looks like he's running through treacle.
That's the thing, his lack of speed rarely lets him down. Shaw with all his physical attributes could not create separation to send in a single cross all game long. Blind moved to left back and generated 3 crosses in about 20 or so minutes, one of which should have been a sure goal had Mata connected properly. I don't think that's something we need to worry about with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Absolutely shocking on the ball at the moment. Gifted Liverpool about 3 chances last night with Jonny Evans moments, and was just hoofing long balls out of play all evening.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely shocking on the ball at the moment. Gifted Liverpool about 3 chances last night with Jonny Evans moments, and was just hoofing long balls out of play all evening.
That pass to set up their Spanish forward was just unbelievably stupid. I respect playing the ball out of defense, but that should have cost us a goal. He really needs to learn when to play and when to get the ball up the pitch better.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Not saying it wasn't a horrible error but it's amazing how people forget that he is 20 years old. He will have a career in the game, the next couple of seasons will determine if it will be at United, not the next pass.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He'll go on a free and we will get compensation.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Not saying it wasn't a horrible error but it's amazing how people forget that he is 20 years old. He will have a career in the game, the next couple of seasons will determine if it will be at United, not the next pass.
True. Problem is, the cerebral cheese cutting is as prominent now as it was 2 or 3 years ago, which seems to indicate it's a pretty deep-rooted issue.

jb8521

True. Problem is, the cerebral cheese cutting is as prominent now as it was 2 or 3 years ago, which seems to indicate it's a pretty deep-rooted issue.
I agree. What people initially saw as calmness and comfort on the ball in pre season can very quickly start to look overly relaxed or lackadaisical once the players playing against you are actually fit and sharp enough to close down. He always has a mistake in him and doesnt seem to be eradicating these mistakes at all and has looked worse for the under 21's this season than he has for the first team because he hasnt had players of the same quality around him to cover his mistakes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That pass to set up their Spanish forward was just unbelievably stupid. I respect playing the ball out of defense, but that should have cost us a goal. He really needs to learn when to play and when to get the ball up the pitch better.
He did it more than once last night too.

Robbie Boy

I don't believe for one second that he's remotely good enough for us. Wasn't Fryers more highly rated and look how it's turned out for him. I honestly don't rate Blackett at all.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
I don't believe for one second that he's remotely good enough for us. Wasn't Fryers more highly rated and look how it's turned out for him. I honestly don't rate Blackett at all.
No.

But your right he isn't ever going to be good enough. He'll not get anywhere near Jones/Smalling standard and I don't even think they're good enough. Good championship career beckons for him imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can't help worrying that Van Gaal's insistence on left vs right footed balance has promoted Blackett way above his abilities at the expense of more promising young defenders who don't happen to prefer kicking the ball with their left foot. Which wouldn't reflect well at all on his reputation for bringing kids through, despite all the stats about us playing so many youth players this season.

Sam

I know you have to whisper is around here, but he's just not very good. Infact, he's really rather rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.