Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Good for him on the contract, great athlete and comfortable on the ball but a long, long way to go to be a starting CB at United.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Omg does LVG even watch the players, we'll probably end up signing Falcao as well. Blackett is very poor, he's just big, fast, strong and that's it with him, I see no potential in him. He cant even impose himself in the u21 and has been defensively suspect in almost every game this season. I think Thorpe and McNair are far better options.

I read something about him being earning over 20000 a week, is that true? That would be very strange, meaning that he gets paid more than any Ajax player while showing absolutelu nothing.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Omg does LVG even watch the players, we'll probably end up signing Falcao as well. Blackett is very poor, he's just big, fast, strong and that's it with him, I see no potential in him. He cant even impose himself in the u21 and has been defensively suspect in almost every game this season. I think Thorpe and McNair are far better options.

I read something about him being earning over 20000 a week, is that true? That would be very strange, meaning that he gets paid more than any Ajax player while showing absolutelu nothing.
It would be silly to let him go for free. He will probably go on loan next season. Then United can decide if they want to keep him or sell him. I still think he has a chance of making it here.

IwatUwat

Good to get him nailed down. Worth keeping with us to see how he develops, has had a better season that he could have hoped for im sure

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I think that's unfair really. Up until the Leicester game he was showing good form and was defending well, there was a reason he kept being played. Since then though his form has definitely dipped, but I believe he will be back again. He is definitely not useless though.

Sammyjunn

It would be silly to let him go for free. He will probably go on loan next season. Then United can decide if they want to keep him or sell him. I still think he has a chance of making it here.
What would be the most we could get out of him, there's no PL club who would buy him as a starting CB, we wouldnt make much on him, especially with Woodward and our general selling record.

Sammyjunn

I think that's unfair really. Up until the Leicester game he was showing good form and was defending well, there was a reason he kept being played. Since then though his form has definitely dipped, but I believe he will be back again. He is definitely not useless though.
We played vs the very bottom half, how much did he have to do? And even then he looked shaky many at times, just not good enough. The standard has really dropped at this club if performances like that and in the u21 are rewarded with new contracts. I'm dead serious if I say he wouldnt look out of place in the Championship.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What would be the most we could get out of him, there's no PL club who would buy him as a starting CB, we wouldnt make much on him, especially with Woodward and our general selling record.
So, because our selling record is shit, we shouldn't offer Blackett a new contract so it becomes even shittier. Makes sense.

kundalini

Certainly needs to improve a lot but I'm willing to be patient for the next couple of years. Just to put Blackett's performances in context, Luke Shaw has made lots of errors, so too Smalling, Evans, Jones, Rojo and McNair. Only defender I can think of who hasn't been guilty of tons of stupid errors this season is Valencia and even he has made a few, such as failing to mark Sunderland's goal scorer at the corner and giving away possession in dangerous areas.

Last edited:

red_7

usually academy players start on a high and then struggle for while. It's the same with Januzaj and McNair. It's about developing and coming back stronger. Too early to say he can't make it here.

thegregster

We will easily get the cost of his wages plus the chance to see how he does on loan.

Adam-Utd

We played vs the very bottom half, how much did he have to do? And even then he looked shaky many at times, just not good enough. The standard has really dropped at this club if performances like that and in the u21 are rewarded with new contracts. I'm dead serious if I say he wouldnt look out of place in the Championship.
I think he is quick, strong and can pass well, but he needs to stop dawdling around and play at a quicker tempo. He's obviously been watching Evans as he waits on the ball so long that the strikers close him down and he ends up having to kick it away, usually to 1 of the opposition. If he played at a quicker tempo he should clear some of those errors.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think any Premier League team would take him on loan. Bottom half teams need solid defenders as they have to do a lot of defending, and defending is easily the weakest part of his game.

thegregster

He just screams Ezekiel Fryers to me. He played under difficult circumstances, but he was really poor
And we were keen for him to sign a new contract. Shows there is a profit in keeping some Youth prospect even if they have little chance of making it here(Not saying that for Blackett but clearly it was the case for Fryers).

Mali_Zeus

You see no potential in him?
Obviously LVG does see sthing in him cause otherwise he wouldnt sign a new contract.

What do we have to loose, he'll probably go out on loan and we'll see if he'll come out good.

United dont give a chance to youth, people cry, United signs a youth player, people cry again.

Sammyjunn

I think he is quick, strong and can pass well, but he needs to stop dawdling around and play at a quicker tempo. He's obviously been watching Evans as he waits on the ball so long that the strikers close him down and he ends up having to kick it away, usually to 1 of the opposition. If he played at a quicker tempo he should clear some of those errors.
Is this anywhere near enough to play for United, he's supposed to be good on the ball but he also hoofs it very very often, vs clubs like yeovil ffs.

Adam-Utd

Is this anywhere near enough to play for United, he's supposed to be good on the ball but he also hoofs it very very often, vs clubs like yeovil ffs.
Obviously not recently which is why he is nowhere near the first team at present. But he will clear that up, he is only very young and still inexperienced.

Sammyjunn

Obviously LVG does see sthing in him cause otherwise he wouldnt sign a new contract.

What do we have to loose, he'll probably go out on loan and we'll see if he'll come out good.

United dont give a chance to youth, people cry, United signs a youth player, people cry again.
You make it look very simple, but the difference in class/potential in Pereira/Blackett for example is very significant.

I am just a fan and not saying tbat I have better eye for talent than LVG etc, but he's proved this season that his decision making is quite shambles.

We'll see how he develops, but I'll be surprised if he's in the PL in 5 years time, he has shown absolutely nothing this season and even before other than his physical attributes. But I guess it's the standard here now, just imagine Blackett at Barca, would be laughable.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I don't think any Premier League team would take him on loan. Bottom half teams need solid defenders as they have to do a lot of defending, and defending is easily the weakest part of his game.
Yeah. I'll be surprised if he gets a Premier league loan and manages to play regularly next season. Maybe that's not the plan though.
Either way, I'll be stunned if he's at United or even starting for a Premier League team in three or four years time.

Maybe starting for a newly promoted side, at a push.

Sammyjunn

Obviously not recently which is why he is nowhere near the first team at present. But he will clear that up, he is only very young and still inexperienced.
You cant just assume that he will, young lads neeed to show progress, that their learning and developping. Or else you might as well give every single youth player a chance hoping that they will clear out their flaws. Maybe I'm just harsh, but I think it's painful to see which level now is enough to play for this club. Just imagine Blackett at Barca or Bayern, a giant/athletic defender with sporadic decent ball skills.

Mali_Zeus

You make it look very simple, but the difference in class/potential in Pereira/Blackett for example is very significant.

I am just a fan and not saying tbat I have better eye for talent than LVG etc, but he's proved this season that his decision making is quite shambles.

We'll see how he develops, but I'll be surprised if he's in the PL in 5 years time, he has shown absolutely nothing this season and even before other than his physical attributes. But I guess it's the standard here now, just imagine Blackett at Barca, would be laughable.
Yeah every decision club makes is low standard these days...

Not every youth product barca signed has become a great player or stayed there.

People seem to unerestimate the club whatever the decision is made. Maybe he ll be good maybe not no reason for panicking

MDFC Manager

Do i need to remind you where and what Smalling, your love by the look of things, was doing when he was 20?

JB7

Luke Shaw's back up for the next couple of years IMO. I don't think he'll end up a starting line up player, but will probably do a job as a squad player while he develops.

khoazany

You won't see me saying bad things about academy products but I agree with @Sammyjunn that unless he makes some rapid progress I don't see a long-term future of him at United.We have better talents down the rank particularly.

Sammyjunn

Yeah every decision club makes is low standard these days...

Not every youth product barca signed has become a great player or stayed there.

People seem to unerestimate the club whatever the decision is made. Maybe he ll be good maybe not no reason for panicking
Not trying to say that, but if players like Blackett are qualified as good enoug, I'm worrying about the standard we have nowadays.

Not really talking about producing players, but what to do with players who just arent good enough. We've done that in the past too, let them go to different clubs, that's why we have one of the most players in the top european clubs. (In terms of youth products)

Loublaze

ATLien

We offer one a contract and he rejects it (Periera)...and its Uniteds fault too

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Good for the boy. He extends his contract for us. LVG likes him a lot. I think that he has a chance because he’s left footer, and in these terms, he has “only” Rojo and Evans in front of him, so that’s maybe why we keep him at the club.

I’m always happy to see a young player coming from the Academy having a contract with us. The fact that he’s a pure Manc can add this to the image of the club… Hope that he develops well in the future.

MDFC Manager

Point out what relevance it has in this discussion. To hope that a player will make such a progress like he had, is equal to hoping that Welbeck suddenly does become Henry's level.
The relevance to the discussion is that fact that that defenders develop late. Blackett may or may not develop that well, but this contract is a no-lose situation for United, so I don't know why you're whining about it.

Sammyjunn

The relevance to the discussion is that fact that that defenders develop late. Blackett may or may not develop that well, but this contract is a no-lose situation for United, so I don't know why you're whining about it.
Oke then, lets sign tons of young defenders and hope they'll eventually turn out well. Seems like a solid policy to me, even if they havent shown much signs of potential.

Loublaze

ATLien

He played a very good game against Real Madrid in preseason...even kept Ronaldo in his pocket :lol:. I don't care for the 'it was only preason' comments. He actually made it hard for Ronaldo in front of 100,000 fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.