Tyrone Mings stamp on Zlatan | He’s at it again

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think if Mings had won the ball we’d all say it’s just a part of jumping for the ball. but if you don’t win the ball, it’s a foul.
Yeah, it should still probably be checked but you’d probs be alright with it not being given if he won it. The fact he didn’t is what solidifies it for me.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
My Liverpool supporting mate doesn’t think it’s a pen. They never seem fully attached to reality do they? I’m pretty sure most of us would say it’s a pen if it was on a Liverpool player.
Mostly, but to be fair;

A definite penalty. Why did VAR not even consider it?
Mings really is a cart horse playing well above his station. Today he finally showed his true colours. A thug and someone who can't defend properly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He seems to have an incident like this every single game. He’s a cnut.

Jev

Think the reactions are going a bit overboard. I don't think it was a clear penalty on Pogba (it could have been but debatable in my opinion), definitely not a red card. Didn't look malicious to me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think the reactions are going a bit overboard. I don't think it was a clear penalty on Pogba, definitely not a red card. Didn't look malicious to me.
I don’t think this particular incident was intentional but he does something like this every game which shows he’s both reckless and a poor defender. He then has the incidents which do actually look intentional such as the stamps and it just boils down to him being a nasty player.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Grealish constantly getting fouled or diving or both

Park's Petrified Pooch

He’s four yards and two players away from getting his head to it. He’s not using his arm to jump because it’s thrust away from his body and moving away from himself. It’s a deliberate action. Not sure what his intent is, but he’s throwing his elbow at the player, not challenging for the ball. It’s a foul all day in midfield, so should be blown up for a penalty.

arnie_ni

Must be the only one here that doesn't see too much wrong with that incident.
Ming's was using the arm as leverage and yeah he was quite forceful but nothing you wouldn't expect from a CB.
I think if it was anyone but him I'd lean this way to but not with him

Wilt

The fact that the Cnut purposely didn’t turn around to look at Pogba afterwards, shows he meant to elbow him.

Should have been a red card.

Referee should see him leading with his elbow. One of the dirtiest players in the league.

Djemba-Djemba

I think if it was anyone but him I'd lean this way to but not with him
Yeah I think this is the big thing.

You can't argue oh he's not that sort of player.

Because he clearly is, he's got a history for doing snide violent things like this. He's a thug.

CM

Crazy nothing was done about that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was deliberate either, he's a snide character.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’s four yards and two players away from getting his head to it. He’s not using his arm to jump because it’s thrust away from his body and moving away from himself. It’s a deliberate action. Not sure what his intent is, but he’s throwing his elbow at the player, not challenging for the ball. It’s a foul all day in midfield, so should be blown up for a penalty.
Good summary.

Vanrouge

I don't generally go overboard and I tend to give the benefit of the doubt in these situations, but that stomp on Zlatan's head was so reprehensible (and as with this incident, he didn't check on the player he'd hurt) that I tend to think Mings is doing this shite on purpose. And notice how it's the best players he targets? These are premeditated, and something needs to be done before he seriously hurts someone.

Fitchett

Definite pen and red card. Typical of Oliver and Tierney on VAR to ignore it. Plus, the great British media ignored it too. If that had been the other way round, Sky would be bleating about it for days on end.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't get how this isn't a penalty and a red card. Even if he's genuinely going for the ball, he's so far away from it and so wreckless it's still a foul and a red card the same way as diving into a tackle is...and he also does stuff like this far too often to be given the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Only consolation from our point of view is that he's a terrible centreback so probably better he did stay on.

dasty

Yeah I think this is the big thing.

You can't argue oh he's not that sort of player.

Because he clearly is, he's got a history for doing snide violent things like this. He's a thug.
The worst is he had never been punished for all the violent things that he had done. It's always an unfortunate coincidence, an accident, or he didn't mean it because he's a good lad

automaticflare

He 1””% knew what he was doing today. That should have been a red and a peno. He is a dirty player

I don't get how this isn't a penalty and a red card. Even if he's genuinely going for the ball, he's so far away from it and so wreckless it's still a foul and a red card the same way as diving into a tackle is...and he also does stuff like this far too often to be given the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Only consolation from our point of view is that he's a terrible centreback so probably better he did stay on.
according to Garth Crooks he was in the team of 2020!

surely this is something VAR should be looking at? Agree it’s a pen and sending off? Even if we are wrong, shouldn’t it be something that’s looked at?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That for me is the most obvious example of how VAR is arbitrary and useless. A red card all day long and a ban.

He is a thug, not a footballer.

Josep Dowling

I cannot believe how many times he’s got away with such reckless fouls. That’s 4 serious challenges he’s done on a football pitch without any punishment. 4 times is no coincidence.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
according to Garth Crooks he was in the team of 2020!

surely this is something VAR should be looking at? Agree it’s a pen and sending off? Even if we are wrong, shouldn’t it be something that’s looked at?
The Garth Crooks stamp of approval is as good as sign as any that a player is quite shite. He sticks out like a sore thumb in this Villa side as most of the players in it are quite good footballers, and then there's mings about 3 yards off the pace and looking like a Championship level footballer from 2004.

Yeah I don't get it though. It's no different to the Pickford challenge on Van Dijk for me. It doesn't matter if he's going for the ball or not because he's endangering the opponent with his wrecklessness and also doesn't get the ball. The first and second point both make it a foul and the first also makes it a red card. Don't think there's any particularly grey area about it.

The Garth Crooks stamp of approval is as good as sign as any that a player is quite shite.

Yeah I don't get it though. It's no different to the Pickford challenge on Van Dijk for me. It doesn't matter if he's going for the ball or not because he's endangering the opponent with his wrecklessness and also doesn't get the ball. The first and second point both make it a foul and the first also makes it a red card. Don't think there's any particularly grey area about it.
I didn’t convey my utter disdain for Garth Crooks. But hopefully, it’s only the BBC and his mum who thinks he has a valid opinion - and it’s a given he talks shite.

I agree. I don’t know why they don’t review these incidents. Maybe the game is too fast for the VAR refs sometime, or perhaps it’s because they use the same incompetents refs for VAR and they do for the on pitch refs. More clarity is needed.

also strange, that the commentators didn’t make anything of it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn’t convey my utter disdain for Garth Crooks. But hopefully, it’s only the BBC and his mum who thinks he has a valid opinion - and it’s a given he talks shite.

I agree. I don’t know why they don’t review these incidents. Maybe the game is too fast for the VAR refs sometime, or perhaps it’s because they use the same incompetents refs for VAR and they do for the on pitch refs. More clarity is needed.

also strange, that the commentators didn’t make anything of it.
He plays for England (for some reason) so can do no wrong. Until he gets himself sent off playing for England.

Fluctuation0161

Oliver is also a twat.

Not that the rest of Villa played dirty like Minge, but he consistently awarded them freekicks for small fouls where as we did not get the same

No wonder Villa have a great defensive record if they can get away with dirty tricks like these all the time
Oliver the Newcastle fan who, if he is anything like Shearer, can't even say the word Manchester United without scowling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Should have been a pen, easy. No intent to play an impossible ball there. What's the need to jump at that angle with your elbow leading other than hurting your opponent ?

marf

Was there any talk about this in the studio afterwards or was it completely ignored?

HJ12

Should have been a pen, easy. No intent to play an impossible ball there. What's the need to jump at that angle with your elbow leading other than hurting your opponent ?
This is exactly the issue. No chance of winning the ball, but flying into an opponent.