UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Tory Britain all over.
Heartbreaking statistics, it really illustrates what I said yesterday - over 6 million people who are employed live below the poverty line, this is the reality.

Smores

The ''gammons'' are back.
I find it repulsive that politicians don't challenge such statements.

I might not like Boris but I'd have a lot more respect for him if he'd turned around and quashed that type of statement.

Thing is I'm not even sure Corbyn would stand up to that. They're just too afraid of the tabloids attacking them for calling out an odious human being.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Look at the stuff Houghton is reported as saying, is it really anti-Semitic? Is it really homophobic? Especially given that he was 20 at the time, I think it is ok for people to be thinking about this kind of stuff, and to be shown proper sources and set straight. There is a danger to too much censorship.

On Irving -

Houghton said: “A charleton [sic] seems a bit heavy, even his opponent’s recongnised [sic] his skill as a historian.”

He added: “His arguments - in terms of the Holocaust- have been that Hitler was not in the know about Aushwitz, rather as he challenged Deborah Lippstrad to do, show a genuine document linking Adolf Hitler to Auschwitz-Birkenau... No one has yet taken his challenge. (From what I know, im more than willing to be corrected here) “His other main focus was that the gas chamber which you go into as a tourist - if that word can be used in this context- was constructed after WW2.”

He adds that he is “not defending David’s Irving’s views” and that he does not agree with “some of the stuff he says”.

On homosexuality -
“I know im kind of going to the extreme here but I don’t see how homosexuality is ‘good’ for the human race?”

He later clarified that he had “no problem with anyone’s lifestyle choices” but was just trying “to think of an example when it could be considered bad for the human race.”
Not defending his views or those he related to... but I’m kinda with you.

I don’t think we want to be ruled by politicians that had the same views at 20 as at 30, 40, 50.

Those views are flawed and read like someone who gets news in an echo chamber. But they’re really not insane or aggressive.

I said so much dumb shit up to the age of 20. I couldnt be trusted to advise an 18 year old on any facet of adult life in a dependable manner at that point. But I now advise rooms of people and have a couple of freshly dumb 20 year olds under my wing. I’m still the same person.

fergieisold

Do you not feel that such people may act like that people they've grown up disadvantaged and don't have anything better to do with their lives? Where there's social deprivation should we not aim to help those people instead of, err, confining them to slavery?
why the constant focus on protecting perpetrators of bullshit behaviour? I doubt them having a poor upbringing provides much comfort to the neighbours who’s lives have been made shite.

They might have had a poor upbringing, it’s a shame. They’re still knobs though.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Tory Britain all over.
Obviously, I don't know anything about his particular circumstances, but how much does it cost to rent a room in a shared house/flat in London? Round my way, for somewhere decent, you need to spend around £400 a month, I guess, but it's probably more in London. A friend of mine works as a labourer on a contract by contract basis, so he has periods when he is out of work, but he does rent a room. It's not ideal, but it must be a better option than a hostel, by the sounds of what he is saying. He has a job so will be able to get a reference from work and has regular earnings, even if it's zero hours.

And before you all throw your hands in the air and shout Tory! I am just trying understand why that is not a better option for this man.

Rooney1987

Just taken a look at the most recent 10 polls on Britain elects
Kantar is the outlier but not by much and certainly in the margin of error

Last ten polls all give conservative a lead

Yougov +17
Kantar +18
ICM +10
Survation +14
Deltapoll +15
BMG +8
Opinium+16
Yougov +17
Comres +8
Panel base +13

Average +13.6 so probably with margin for error something around +11 to +16

Certainly not seeing the collapse yet

The next few weeks should tell how much of the last swing was down to Corbyn the campaigner and the policies and how much down to a malfunctioning maybot (though Boris could go off script tonight and stuff up his chances every time he opens his mouth)
Good work, I know many clinging on the to 2017 as a this is what it looked like then and look how that turned out. I think the best result we can hope (if you voted romain) for is it turns out the same.

This is interesting below, many sky reporters have been travelling with the campaigners and saying similar things. I hope this is true and polls way off like 2 years ago.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@Fiskey I remember some years back that you quit Labour because of Corbyn. Was it because of his policies or his racism?

nimic

something nice
Scout
why the constant focus on protecting perpetrators of bullshit behaviour? I doubt them having a poor upbringing provides much comfort to the neighbours who’s lives have been made shite.

They might have had a poor upbringing, it’s a shame. They’re still knobs though.
This really isn't very difficult. Do you want more knobs? Then continue on the present course. Do you want less knobs? Look into systemic issues instead of only focusing on punishing the current knobs.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
According to the Financial Times’s Sebastian Payne, Rishi Sunak, the chief secretary to the Treasury, is expected to stand in for Boris Johnson in the seven-party debate on the BBC on Friday week.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
This really isn't very difficult. Do you want more knobs? Then continue on the present course. Do you want less knobs? Look into systemic issues instead of only focusing on punishing the current knobs.
You've got it the wrong way around.

fergieisold

Yeh of course identifying what the exact issue is and trying to solve it will help. But at the end of the day people cannot just continue to live with their head in the clouds over inequality of the quality of a person. There are absolute knobs out there and there always will be. I’ve never seen why they should be treated nicely. The only solution is make less of them.

MrPooni

Obviously, I don't know anything about his particular circumstances, but how much does it cost to rent a room in a shared house/flat in London? Round my way, for somewhere decent, you need to spend around £400 a month, I guess, but it's probably more in London. A friend of mine works as a labourer on a contract by contract basis, so he has periods when he is out of work, but he does rent a room. It's not ideal, but it must be a better option than a hostel, by the sounds of what he is saying. He has a job so will be able to get a reference from work and has regular earnings, even if it's zero hours.

And before you all throw your hands in the air and shout Tory! I am just trying understand why that is not a better option for this man.
Judging by the most of your posts here you don't appear to know much about anything of consequence when it comes to the sad socioeconomic reality of the country you currently call home. Part of me almost envies your unbridled ignorance on such matters.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think this page, starting with the working homeless and the response to that, and continuing with a sincere desire for labour camps for unruly people, puts into perspective a lot of the tone-policing from the Tories on here.

BarcaSpurs

Probably 500 a month minimum for a room, 1st month upfront + 6/8 weeks rent as a deposit means you need at least about 1200 up front to rent a room. If you don't have that kind of money saved up the only option you have is a hostel, plus even reference checks will look at your job and if you're zero hours you'll find it tough to be accepted.

Being poor is expensive.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Zero contract hour job means that one week he may work 12 hours, the next week 0, the next 40.
Sometimes (and I suspect this is what happens to him) they're hired through a third-party/agency, and their managers will send everyone a text early in the morning and the first x amount who reply back will get the get a shift that day, sometimes you won't hear anything for days.
There's no guarantee that you will work any number of hours, that's why it's called a zero-hour contract.

Because of this some landlords wont give you a room if you work a zero-hour contract because they know that your hours are inconsistent therefore you run the risk of being late on rent. In a city like london where demand severely outweighs supply, landlords will always prefer renting to tenants who can pay more regularly.
So yes, he has a job but he doesn't have regular earnings, he's not guaranteed to earn anything at all - meaning a hostel is the most realistic option, but he probably sleeps rough often too.

Plus he earns 8.25 an hour in london.
So even if he worked 8 hours a day 5x a week £400 rent would be about 40% of his net income, before you take travel, food, bills & other costs into account
How would he even save up for a deposit, and 2 months up front? Plus all the ridiculous admin fees

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Probably 500 a month minimum for a room, 1st month upfront + 6/8 weeks rent as a deposit means you need at least about 1200 up front to rent a room. If you don't have that kind of money saved up the only option you have is a hostel, plus even reference checks will look at your job and if you're zero hours you'll find it tough to be accepted.

Being poor is expensive.
Yeah the problem is the initial cost. Plus, it’s easy when the numbers are put in front of you, but practically saving in that situation is difficult.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Judging by the most of your posts here you don't appear to know much about anything of consequence when it comes to the sad socioeconomic reality of the country you currently call home. Part of me almost envies your unbridled ignorance on such matters.
That's why I'm fecking asking! Good grief, I said don't throw your hands in the air and that's exactly what you did.

Take a leaf out of @BarcaSpurs book and don't be so obtuse.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
The real question to be asked is - is society a better/safer place now, than it was say 60 or 70 years ago? Is it more or less violent?; is there more or less crime?; is there more or less antisocial behaviour?; and so on.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

This parking space costs £500 per calendar month

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-71397457.html

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I live around Maidstone which is 16 miles from the M26, and 30 miles from inner London

I pay £850 a month for my 3 bedroom house, but that was very cheap in this area. Most 3 beds are £1100 plus around here.

My friend from London pays £850 pcm for his 1 bedroom studio in London (can't remember where). Have a look on right move but I think the min for a 1 bed flat share is about £500-£600

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Zero contract hour job means that one week he may work 12 hours, the next week 0, the next 40.
Sometimes (and I suspect this is what happens to him) they're hired through a third-party/agency, and their managers will send everyone a text early in the morning and the first x amount who reply back will get the get a shift that day, sometimes you won't hear anything for days.
There's no guarantee that you will work any number of hours, that's why it's called a zero-hour contract.

Because of this some landlords wont give you a room if you work a zero-hour contract because they know that your hours are inconsistent therefore you run the risk of being late on rent. In a city like london where demand severely outweighs supply, landlords will always prefer renting to tenants who can pay more regularly.
So yes, he has a job but he doesn't have regular earnings, he's not guaranteed to earn anything at all - meaning a hostel is the most realistic option, but he probably sleeps rough often too.

Plus he earns 8.25 an hour in london.
So even if he worked 8 hours a day 5x a week £400 rent would be about 40% of his net income, before you take travel, food, bills & other costs into account
How would he even save up for a deposit, and 2 months up front? Plus all the ridiculous admin fees
My labourer friend can earn good money for months at a time, but then be out of work for month, but he saves for the inevitable dead periods. He hates living in a room, but it's still better than a hostel.

I have another friend who works in a well know coffee shop chain, but his problem was more than he had to work early shifts on a Sunday which did not suit him, but seems to have worked things out now and doesn't have to do it anymore. Again, he has respectable accommodation and is looking forward to his family coming over from Slovakia to see him.

I think that if you are a good reliable worker, your hours are likely to be regular almost like a full time job. It's not an ideal situation, but the coffee shop guy is the sort who will find himself in a permanent position sooner or later.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
My labourer friend can earn good money for months at a time, but then be out of work for month, but he saves for the inevitable dead periods. He hates living in a room, but it's still better than a hostel.

I have another friend who works in a well know coffee shop chain, but his problem was more than he had to work early shifts on a Sunday which did not suit him, but seems to have worked things out now and doesn't have to do it anymore. Again, he has respectable accommodation and is looking forward to his family coming over from Slovakia to see him.

I think that if you are a good reliable worker, your hours are likely to be regular almost like a full time job. It's not an ideal situation, but the coffee shop guy is the sort who will find himself in a permanent position sooner or later.
It's great that these people in your personal anecdotal stories have 'found a way' of surviving the ever-growing poverty in this country.
However the statistics are there for a reason, over 50% of the homeless actually have a job, and over 6 million people employed are classified as living in poverty.
Your friends not being a part of that doesn't make these statistics go away, and it illustrates a very clear disconnect of the problem facing the poorest in society.

Even if 'you are a good reliable worker' and you can get a job as a labourer, or in a coffee shop - someone is still going to have to be a security guard, or a mcdonalds worker, or a street cleaner and do all these shitty jobs that nobody else wants to because they pay so poorly.
That doesn't mean they deserve to be homeless, nor should their character be an indicator of exactly how much they should earn.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

I predicted that your "I'm just trying to understand guys" post would be followed up by something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.