United Airlines forcibly remove passenger from overbooked flight

Revan

Assumptionman
What's wrong with offering an incentive to give up the seat?
"Anyone want a double refund and upgrade on the next flight?"
Absolutely nothing wrong there. Kicking people out while them don't agree to leave is different though.

Airplane companies should be allowed to overbook as much as they want but then should also be forced to offer incentives until someone agree. Risk and reward. But in this way - accept or get kicked out - the consumers hold all the risk and the company all the reward.

Thankfully this type of shit doesn't happen in EU.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

Shocking story. I was reading an article the other day about how some woman made like $20,000 from an airline by pro-actively offering to give up hers, her husbands and her childrens seats on a busy flight and accepting compensation like 3 days running for the same flight. In the end she cancelled her trip to see her family and netted a massive profit.

Art

Art the artist
Deserves a separate thread I think.

Airlines employees are losing brain cells at a drastic rate.

Nogbadthebad

Christ.

Can't pass comment on what happened with the woman as we didn't see it, but what the hell did the employee think he was doing there with the irate passenger? You don't solve that sort of situation by squaring up to your fecking customer for crying out loud.

The Firestarter

I really don't understand why there has not been some corporate wide announcement to all cabin crews to be extra careful with the passengers for several months. It is not rocket science to see the company will be under the microscope for a while.

Wicked_Badger

Both knob ends by the looks of it. Polo shirt dude trying to be Mr Hero should have stayed out of it without knowing what the feck was going on & baldy on a little Hitler power trip should calm down and handle the situation in a much more controlled manner, especially given what has happened recently.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
American Airlines are generally awful, so it doesn't surprise me if the story is true.
Is there any American airline that is actually good? I have had terrible to poor experiences with every airline bar Southwest.

Last edited:

Coxy

Both knob ends by the looks of it. Polo shirt dude trying to be Mr Hero should have stayed out of it without knowing what the feck was going on & baldy on a little Hitler power trip should calm down and handle the situation in a much more controlled manner, especially given what has happened recently.
That's one way of looking at it.

Personally I give kudos to him - nice to see someone stand up for her and also tell the attendant that his behaviour wasn't on.

Much better than everyone just sitting there and not intervening.

Wicked_Badger

That's one way of looking at it.

Personally I give kudos to him - nice to see someone stand up for her and also tell the attendant that his behaviour wasn't on.

Much better than everyone just sitting there and not intervening.
Standing up for what though? We don't know what was going on, the guy certainly didn't either.

In certain circumstances it's worth putting your foot down and standing up for yourself/others. Picking a fight when you dont even know why you're involved in it seems a bit silly to me.

If it'd been a bloke up there, do you think Mr Hero would have got involved?

Varun

Staff
Standing up for what though? We don't know what was going on, the guy certainly didn't either.

In certain circumstances it's worth putting your foot down and standing up for yourself/others. Picking a fight when you dont even know why you're involved in it seems a bit silly to me.

The guy says he saw what happened but you're claiming he doesn't? Based on what?

Well done on making this a "he only helped because a woman was involved" though based on feck all.

Coxy

You're spouting rubbish mate - the guy clearly saw what happened - you hear him talking about it ffs.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So what exactly happened? Somebody took/'snatched' her stroller and hit her when doing so? Can you even get stroller on board somehow? Doesn't it go to the same place as checked baggage?

Could it be people trying to milk the feck out of UA now after the first incident?

Where is the plane-man when you need him.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

There's other videos that explain what happened more clearly. I'm not sure if she was being removed from the flight or what, but that attendant in the video grabbed her stroller (buggy) from the overhead locker and took it off the plane. As he was removing it from the locker he almost struck the baby with the buggy. That's what the passenger took issue with.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
So what exactly happened? Somebody took/'snatched' her stroller and hit her when doing so? Can you even get stroller on board somehow? Doesn't it go to the same place as checked baggage?

Could it be people trying to milk the feck out of UA now after the first incident?

Where is the plane-man when you need him.
You typically take it all the way to the door at which point it is tagged and put underneath. I thought she was crying because someone almost hit her baby.

The pilot seemed to be out of his depth. He clearly didn't know how to handle the situation. I heard the guy and crew member both flew :eek: Could have escalated quickly at high altitude!

Kostur

海尔的老板
You typically take it all the way to the door at which point it is tagged and put underneath. I thought she was crying because someone almost hit her baby.

The pilot seemed to be out of his depth. He clearly didn't know how to handle the situation. I heard the guy and crew member both flew :eek: Could have escalated quickly at high altitude!
Ah alright, cheers for the clear up, makes sense I guess.

Imagine if they tried to remove the guy who stood up for the woman :lol:

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Ah alright, cheers for the clear up, makes sense I guess.

Imagine if they tried to remove the guy who stood up for the woman :lol:
Surprised there wasn't more made of him. He was very lucky. In another video he goes up and restates what he saw, I think. He's trying to do the right thing. But then gets up again and loses it a little.

Anyhow, amazed they did this to a single mother with a child. They typically go out of their way to assist.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I would think most normal men in that scenario would be quicker to stand up for a woman with a baby than another man? Weird thing to take issue with.

Smores

I hate all the follow on stories you get after a big scandal. Everything related suddenly becomes newsworthy and even more tenuous after every story.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I flew with them on Sunday and I have to say they were brilliant, even sorted out some problems caused by Lufthansa, who are the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with in my whole life.