Defense: City
Midfield: City
Attack: City
Manager: City
Youtube page: City

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
I think Overall the Quality is pretty equal. City`s squad seems a bit more balanced to me but we are looking at a lot of potential in our own.

What we do have what City does not is 3 Players who would make it into my personal world 11.
De Gea and Pogba for sure and arguably with Shaw the best LB.
Maybe your personal world 11, but in reality Pogba and Shaw wouldn't get close to a world 11.

Suedesi

This is a useless comparison. Good players can look poor in a dysfunctional team, and limited players can add value in a well functioning team. We don't need to look beyond Fergie and post Fergie-era how certain players could look world class under one manager and poor beyond repair under another.

Fact of the matter is DDG, Shaw, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Rashford, Bailly, Blind, Mata, Zlatan, Martial are all excellent players and it's up to Mourinho to turn them into a well functioning team.

As far as I'm concerned, when comparing City vs United only one comparison is needed, Pep vs Mou, and the Catalan is winning this (so far) hands down.

NYC

Website: United, since the wix sponsored takeover of the city site made it completely unusable/irrelevant
Good point. However, on youtube page, I think City has by far the best content in all of football. Surprise other teams don't follow suit.

hbgreg

We finished level on points with city last year and they didn't really add anyone impressive other than Gundogan and they're light years ahead of us now. How did this happen?

slir32

We finished level on points with city last year and they didn't really add anyone impressive other than Gundogan and they're light years ahead of us now. How did this happen?
The only reason we finished equal points with City was due to City announcing Pep during the season which destabilised their season.

hbgreg

The only reason we finished equal points with City was due to City announcing Pep during the season which destabilised their season.
You can't say that as if it's a fact. The fact is we finished level on points with them last year, and this year we seem to be lagging behind. I'm looking for explanations why we're behind this year, not what happened last year.

Eddy_JukeZ

You can't say that as if it's a fact. The fact is we finished level on points with them last year, and this year we seem to be lagging behind. I'm looking for explanations why we're behind this year, not what happened last year.
It's simple.

Pep Guardiola is a better manager now than Jose Mourinho.

slir32

You asked how are they are light years ahead of us this season when we finished equal points with them last season. My point is they where "light years" ahead of us squad wise last season just because we signed better players then them in the summer doesn't atomically make us a equal or better team. We fill find out end of the season where we are but we are the ones catching up.

They're not. We gave them a hell of a game a week ago. We've just had our confidence knocked, they haven't.

Currently I'd choose something like:

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Blind - Shaw
Gundogan - Fernandinho - Pogba
KDB - Ibra - Sterling

With Rooney shoehorned in a 4231 we're never going to see our best attacking play, whilst every one of their defenders and GK has a mistake in them.

NYC

That's a new one. Do you know that DDG is David De Gea? pl's best goalie by some distance
Poor wum. Must try harder.
God i feel sorry for you if thats your honest opinion.
What are you smoking?
Because he routinely pulls off the sensational and single-handedly wins points. Because, aside from that, he also knows the Premier League inside out and has developed his skills to deal with the threats, such as high balls and crosses. Because he's shown these qualities at a consistently very high level for the last several years. Because he's achieved all of that behind often changing and questionable defences.

Is there any reason your question merited four question marks?
:lol:

In the end I think they'll score more than us, even though Aguero's hamstrings are made of chewing gum. We will have a better defensive record quite easily. I'm not sold on Stones being ready for prime time, and Kompany has slipped into a fitness decline. Though I do think Otamendi will look better this season.

Each squad has obvious weaknesses which, given an annual holidays in the English game injury crisis, will tip their season this way or that if it's where they're lacking depth.
By some folks you mean Barcelona fans? Also RM tried to buy DDG and SWAP Navas for him....

DDG is best GK in PL, has been for a few seasons. Saved our bacon more times than I can count.
Mainly ability.
:lol:, Are you a City fan?
Yeah, a lot of people in Spain would. In reality though, no!
Really? Not considering age, why is DDG better than Bravo exactly? Because United allowed more goals than City or the fact United has lost 3 straight games.

Next 3 out of 4 games: Leicester City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Who knows, Stoke might get their first win

Don't worry guys, we will revisit this after the Chelsea game.

Last edited:

Ainu

Really? Not considering age, why is DDG better than Bravo exactly? Because United allowed more goals than City or the fact United has lost 3 straight games.
Are you 5 years old? Waiting almost a month to reply because the timing suits you. You could've replied after Bravo's City debut as well, but conveniently didn't. Just go away.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

Next 3 out of 4 games: Leicester City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Who knows, Stoke might get their first win
:lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

According to that reasoning Bravo was shit during his years in Real Sociedad because received many goals and didn't have clean sheets.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

There's no point in comparing the players one by one, football doesn't work like that. There are three lines (defense, midfield, attack) and 3 phases in the game (defending, attacking, transitioning) in which all outfield players are involved.

When it comes to quality on the ball and skills in 1v1 situations they are certainly ahead of us and probably ahead of any other team in the Premier League. It's nothing new really since they had that in their previous title wins under Mancini and Pellegrini who both were not anything special tactically but they were blessed with tons of quality in the attacking half. And now they have a manager who's not only tactically astute but also loves to have as many talented on the ball players as he can in his team. He knows how to put them to good use.

But one can argue that this was expected at this stage of the season because Mourinho would need more time to implement his tactics after LvG's attempt to teach possession football to these players. The difference is in the defensive aspect of the game where City's high pressing seems to compensate for their ultra attacking midfield (Silva, KdB) and their back four which consists of players who are keen on making individual errors under pressure (despite being good overall players). At the same time our much deeper defending isn't giving us the desired protection because of our bad positioning and (mainly)our inability to defend against attackers from the second line of offense (CMs, FBs) since Pogba, Rooney and the wingers don't do the required tracking back throughout the 90 minutes.

In the phase of the build up play, we are trying to play football with Fellaini and Rooney in the midfield. There's nothing else to be said. If there's anything more annoying that that is Conte who despite having a deep lying play maker in his team insists on not using him.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
You have a solid spine: De Gea, Pogba, Martial, Zlatan

But the players around them could be better. Kinda like City when the money first came in I guess.
They had Hart, Toure, Silva, Aguero.

Rossa

Because Bravo is awful in the box and it looks unlikely if he'll improve much at this stage. Bravo also comes from a league that is very kind to goalies. PL is much, much tougher and will expose the softer ones in the box. Bravo is better with his feet, but other than that, DDG looks a more solid goalie all around.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
That's a myth.

They went on to make the SFs of the UCL and win the league cup!

Man City dropped 9 points after winning on boxing day in seven games. Won less than half of their games in that period. Guardiola was announced on the 1st of Feb and they won the match the next day. The reason they struggled briefly after that was they came up against better in form teams in Leicester, Liverpool and Spurs. Played a youth team against Chelsea. Conveniently ignored that City lost 1 game(vs United) in a 12 game run in March and April which included two games against PSG, one vs Real.

The real reason Man City struggled for top 4 last season was their performances against the top clubs. They only won one game against the top 8 in 14 matches. 42 points were available against the top 8 teams, Man City took 7 points from those 42 last season. Guardiola has already matched that one victory in one match.

tomaldinho1

The mind boggles at this logic! I'm hoping this is just a troll?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
They're not. We gave them a hell of a game a week ago. We've just had our confidence knocked, they haven't.

Currently I'd choose something like:

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Blind - Shaw
Gundogan - Fernandinho - Pogba
KDB - Ibra - Sterling

With Rooney shoehorned in a 4231 we're never going to see our best attacking play, whilst every one of their defenders and GK has a mistake in them.
No Aguero?
I prefer the City CB's but at this moment in time I think your team is fair.

Bravo is a great keeper and the British media vastly underrate him, but De Gea is the superior keeper.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Honestly this is ban worthy its that's stupid.

No Aguero?
I prefer the City CB's but at this moment in time I think your team is fair.
Aguero hasn't played since August whereas Zlatan has scored 4 in 5. There's a case for either, although on their day Zlatan is the better player.

I think Stones will come good but right now he's a liability, and the rest are even worse.

JosDeVos

Supports
Neutral.
That's a myth.

They went on to make the SFs of the UCL and win the league cup!

Man City dropped 9 points after winning on boxing day in seven games. Won less than half of their games in that period. Guardiola was announced on the 1st of Feb and they won the match the next day. The reason they struggled briefly after that was they came up against better in form teams in Leicester, Liverpool and Spurs. Played a youth team against Chelsea. Conveniently ignored that City lost 1 game(vs United) in a 12 game run in March and April which included two games against PSG, one vs Real.

The real reason Man City struggled for top 4 last season was their performances against the top clubs. They only won one game against the top 8 in 14 matches. 42 points were available against the top 8 teams, Man City took 7 points from those 42 last season. Guardiola has already matched that one victory in one match.
Another important factor was losing De Bruyne for all of February and March. While perhaps not in the impressive form he is right now, he was already a very important part of their team last season and you could tell they missed his presence during those 2 months.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Aguero hasn't played since August whereas Zlatan has scored 4 in 5. There's a case for either, although on their day Zlatan is the better player.

I think Stones will come good but right now he's a liability, and the rest are even worse.
Aguero has 7 goals in 5 games this season. Scored a hat-trick vs Gladbach last week. On their day it's a personal preference, both world class.

Stones hasn't been a liability this season to be fair, playing well. Otamendi has easily been the best CB out of both clubs this season.

Another important factor was losing De Bruyne for all of February and March. While perhaps not in the impressive form he is right now, he was already a very important part of their team last season and you could tell they missed his presence during those 2 months.
Very true, Kompany also came back into the team after being injured and had stinkers against Liverpool and Spurs.

Last edited:

Aguero has 7 goals in 5 games this season. Scored a hat-trick vs Gladbach last week. On their day it's a personal preference, both world class.

Stones hasn't been a liability this season to be fair, playing well. Otamendi has easily been the best CB out of both clubs this season.

Very true, Kompany also came back into the team after being injured and had stinkers against Liverpool and Spurs.
I disagree on Stones. He'll be good for 89 minutes but there are always a couple of stinkers. Otamendi has been decent after a shocking last season but i'd still rather have Blind.

Varun

Staff
The squad comparisons won't matter if one team continues to extract the best out of what it has and the other doesn't. Man to man, I don't think either team has an edge overall.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bravo as good as/better than De Gea?

Ok mate.

Weird how Bravo has become so immensely rated now he's at City. I don't remember them rating him so highly prior to this summer. Funny, that.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I disagree on Stones. He'll be good for 89 minutes but there are always a couple of stinkers. Otamendi has been decent after a shocking last season but i'd still rather have Blind.
Almost all defenders make some mistakes at some stage of a match. Blind certainly has. It's how costly they are that dictates how long we remember them for.
You started off by calling Stones a liability now are saying he's good for 89 minutes of a game. Quite a climb down. He has been involved in 2 opposition goals this season (Sunderland and United) both of which the keeper was more culpable than him.

Ok mate.

Weird how Bravo has become so immensely rated now he's at City. I don't remember them rating him so highly prior to this summer. Funny, that.
Immensely rated? Leave off the hyperbole. He had good stats at Barca but this is a new challenge for him.
Bravo fecked up a couple of times v United but has been decent in 2 games since (2 clean sheets) but really too soon to judge him.
DDG is a superb keeper at his best but seems a bit below that at the moment. I'm sure he'll be back to peak form soon enough.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Ok mate.

He's not as good as De Gea (no keeper in the league is) but Bravo in my opinion is a really brilliant keeper.

Coxy

I'd say that we win in the GK department, but there's arguments to be made for either side in every other area. Overall I think that City have the better squad, but it depends on the fitness of their more physically challenged stars like Gundogan and Aguero.

If making a team it'd be:

De Gea
Sagna Stones Bailly Shaw
Gundogan Pogba
De Bruyne Silva Martial
Ibrahimovic
Of best players that is, not necessarily a perfectly functioning team :P
Swap in Aguero for ibrahimovic and that's my team.