Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Judas

Open to offers
It's the worst possible start for him really, and he seems to be shrinking in the role a bit. I feel like the pressure is already getting to him. Early days for him, and he's prone to a clanger or two, but this many already? Not positive stuff.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It might be confidence but he just doesn’t seem to be a very good keeper, I have no faith in him saving a shot unless it’s straight at him, one on one’s he has no idea what to do, he just falls down, his positioning is suspect, the first goal today he wasn’t on his line ready to save or coming out to take everything he just kind of stood in no man’s land. We don’t know or appreciate how lucky we were to have ddg.

i seen a video of Onana howlers when we first signed him so not even that surprised by how it’s going even though I was hoping he was going to be great

Bwuk

Aye he’s shite. Seen enough.

Another 50m wasted.

Nogbadthebad

Last year our goalie won the golden glove.

We let him leave, spent 50 million quid, and have conceded 18 goals in 10 games.

EVERYONE involved in that transfer, from the manager to the scouts and the negotiation team should be sacked.

Thom Merrilin

Lindegaard was always a reliable backup keeper, I wonder what he's up to these days.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

We let him leave, spent 50 million quid, and have conceded 18 goals in 10 games.

EVERYONE involved in that transfer, from the manager to the scouts and the negotiation team should be sacked.
We wanted a GK who was good on his feet only to have him hoof the ball every opportunity he gets and is worse at actual GK part.

Judas

Open to offers
I just don't understand, how incredible were Inter at defending in the CL for them to make it to the final. How many shots did he face? Because for us, it feels like every shot is likely to be a goal.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"De Gea's shaky start"

Not really, I think it was overblown a lot. His first competitive match was a horror-show (letting in 2 saveable long-range shots vs City in the Shield - not as bad as today, but not good). But the run of games after that was excellent - reflex saves, 1v1s, and the famous RvP penalty save.

It could have got much worse - because of that first game, teams decided that his weakness is long shots rather than strength on crosses, which they figured out later. So (IIRC) Spurs and others early that season peppered him with shots and got absolutely nothing from it.

The save from RvP's volley at 1:18 is probably the best one (check the replay angle), but I remember the Stoke game (2:05-3:01) that made me a believer.

breezy12

He's absolutely abysmal, doesn't even charge off his line. De gea is 10x better regardless of his bad passing

Last edited:

El Zoido

Regardless of Onana, we needed De Gea’s wages off the books. Also De Gea cost us plenty of games too, some serious rose-tinted glasses here. I remember a string of games towards the end of one of Ole’s seasons where he made a serious game-costing error in 4 or 5 games in the space of a couple of months, basically costing us a top four place. Really horrendous stuff. But yes it looks like we’ve chosen a poor replacement.

Robaldo

Not sure if I've ever written a player off this quickly?

Caellum

Most useless sack of shit I have ever seen playing in goal as a designated number 1 for Manchester United. Do you know how bad you have to be to fall behind the likes of Mark Bosnich, Roy Carroll, Tim Howard and Ben Foster on the list of lesser goalkeepers who all assumed the spot for some time?
Sorry but Carroll, Howard and Foster were decent keepers not world class but still decent, even Bosnich made a few decent saves when he could lay off the mars bars, but Onana, is not even a decent back up. Sad fact we lost two far better keepers in the summer and then spend £45m on a circus performer, money that could have been better spent on outfield players.

The United

I thought he was awkward when he had to do goalkeeping things when I first saw him playing for us. But people say he is good, so I thought I was just being harsh on him. But yeah.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
In 2011 when DeGea arrived (many of you not born yet) he had a hard time. He didn’t perform well and media loved picking on him. Just saying.

The United

In 2011 when DeGea arrived (many of you not born yet) he had a hard time. He didn’t perform well and media loved picking on him. Just saying.
Dave was 21, pretty much a kid for goalkeeping in that era. Onana should be at his peak now.

redshaw

I just don't understand, how incredible were Inter at defending in the CL for them to make it to the final. How many shots did he face? Because for us, it feels like every shot is likely to be a goal.
Not sure on shots but Inter played a clever defensive game with high clearances and recoveries.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ddg was a kid then, Onana is meant to be an experienced keeper. Also ddg was really good at shot stopping from the off, just iffy and intimidated on crosses from what I remember

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I do not recall De Gea making so many blunders and looking this incompetent in his first few months. Hopefully, Onana can overcome this phase and turn this around but he doesn't inspire the defence with any confidence and nor the defence him.

Thom Merrilin

Ask yourself this, if we swapped Onana for Ederson would we see a difference? I think not, the difference is City absolutely dominate games and we give away 1 on 1's regularly.

AFC NimbleThumb

Onana’s best attributes come in build up, if we planned on giving the opposition a clear run on goal all game then we may as well of kept Dave.

What Onana is meant to provides is something our team appear years from being capable of benefiting from. We continue to make the same mistakes, his signing in isolation is fine but the team he’s coming into don’t particularly suit what you want from him. We’re not in the phase of build from the back, we can’t even stop any half decent team from creating chances.

TsuWave

I mean opposition teams take shots from inside our box extremely easy. Onana has been piss poor but his mistakes shouldn’t mask the disasterclass Dalot and Lindelof dropped today. Look at the first goal we conceded. Unacceptable stuff

Skills

Snitch
Are you sure? I am confused now. His birth year is 1990, and he joined us in 2011, so 21?
Oh fair, I thought him and Jones were the same age when we signed them. But he was actually a few months short of his 21st birthday when we signed him

Heinzesight

I thought he’d be great for us, and still could be of course, we can’t write him off yet, etc…but he looks like a centre back who’s had to go in net when you’ve used all your subs.

Just looks really clunky and cumbersome yet seems to shrink as a striker approaches the goal, he looks heavy footed, doesn’t seem nimble at all and his reach is poor.

I am struggling to find something positive to say about him other than he seems a nice lad and looks great in that away training jacket. Worrying signs.

RedChrome

Today was an awful performance. He doesn't seem to be good at the basic things a keeper needs to be good at.

Yakuza_devils

It's just a Man Utd thing, we have cheaper and much better option like Raya and etc. But no, we wasted 50M on Onana and complained we are skint. What the feck our DOF doing? Fecking Murtough.

Thom Merrilin

It's just a Man Utd thing, we have cheaper and much better option like Raya and etc. But no, we wasted 50M on Onana and complained we are skint. What the feck our DOF doing? Fecking Murtough.
Fully agree with the bolded. Same applies to the Antony transfer.

spwd

Was that "I don't give a shit" interview from after this game?

frostbite

What if Murtough wanted to keep De Gea? What if Murtough wanted to give the money we gave for Mount+Onana+Hojlund to Kane?

What if ETH told Murtough "I don't want De Gea, and I don't want Kane"? What if ETH told the owners that Murtough is not good and he doesn't want him making such important decisions?

What should the owners do? Sack ETH on the spot? Tell ETH to keep De Gea and be happy? Should the owners believe in ETH or not? Or perhaps they should not talk to ETH at all and let Murtough decide what to do with ETH?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
We needed a new goalkeeper but signed the wrong one

Yakuza_devils

What if Murtough wanted to keep De Gea? What if Murtough wanted to give the money we gave for Mount+Onana+Hojlund to Kane?

What if ETH told Murtough "I don't want De Gea, and I don't want Kane"? What if ETH told the owners that Murtough is not good and he doesn't want him making such important decisions?

What should the owners do? Sack ETH on the spot? Tell ETH to keep De Gea and be happy? Should the owners believe in ETH or not? Or perhaps they should not talk to ETH at all and let Murtough decide what to do with ETH?
Feck me. You need to ask this? DOF has the final say. Full stop. This is how you build a club with proper football structure. Pep and Klopp don't always get their players. Here we have half the team ex-Ajax or ex-ETH or something.