Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

RedRocket9908

Honestly if you put Ederson in our team he probably wouldnt do any better than Onana is, any goalkeeper would struggle with the defence that Onana has in front of him.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Onana has made some out of character mistakes. This place is a shit place to come in all honesty, and the fans don’t help.

We really need to manage this situation and learn from how we’ve mismanaged similar issues in the past. He’s costing us games at the moment but it’s crucial we start backing the only players that show effort and fight, as long as they’re not completely shit like McTominay

Manncunian

Honestly if you put Ederson in our team he probably wouldnt do any better than Onana is, any goalkeeper would struggle with the defence that Onana has in front of him.
This has to be up there as one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve ever seen on the caf.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Good goalkeeper that will thrive when we hit form. The sad truth he should be helping us getting that good form, not playing against us.

Pickle85

Still reading specific words rather than the whole post. You can not be helped.

Me: It is normal to make the right change and bring in the wrong player. <- Do you see any reference to money here

You: our whole point seems to be that wasting 50 million on what should be a significant upgrade (but isn't an upgrade at all) is 'normal'. <- No one said this whole statement from you is normal

You chose to bring in the money thing and then attributed it to me calling it normal. So to provide my quote without the context from your comment is just a special kind of selective amnesia

No one said it's normal to be wasting 50 million on what should be a significant upgrade (but isn't an upgrade at all), all I said is if we are wasting that kind of money for other players, it is okay for us to do so when attempting to sign the right GK.
Arguing with you is a waste of energy. I'm out.

el3mel

To be fair GK's don't peak until 30+.

I just don't have confidence we will keep Onana for that long!
That's not necessary. De Gea is 32 now and most people will argue he has declined over the past 3 years. His prime was around 2015-2019 when he was 26-28 years old.

Pronewbie

Peep
That's not necessary. De Gea is 32 now and most people will argue he has declined over the past 3 years. His prime was around 2015-2019 when he was 26-28 years old.
The problem with De Gea is he barely improved his overall game during his time here and mostly relied on his reaction speed. That starts declining in your mid 20s.

miked99

The handling errors and bad passes are bad, but you'd hope that's just a bad run of form/confidence that isn't going to continue long term.

What's concerning me most is the way he deals with one on ones. He seems to make himself as small as possible, it's bizarre. For the winning goal last night he just shrunk and made it easy to score. The first Forest goal where he did his best seal impression and flopped around on the floor a bit. This concerns me more because it's clearly a learned technique . I just don't know what he's trying to do.

el3mel

The problem with De Gea is he barely improved his overall game during his time here and mostly relied on his reaction speed. That starts declining in your mid 20s.
Same can be applied for Onana and even worse as his reactions, flexibility and jumping abilites seem mid to low tier from the start. They won't improve that much.

gaffs

Last year won the GG with AWB tackling his heart out at RB and Varane/Martinez for the majority of the season.

We have a CM at left back and Dalot pretending to be a defender on the opposite side whilst Varane is in and out of the team and Martinez was playing with a broken foot.

Onana clearly isn't a dud, he's shown what he can do elsewhere.

He has just succumbed to the curse that is Manchester United, as do many.
I agree that the defense is shocking right now.

But Onana's mistakes are all his own. He is making basic errors. The pass last night was all him.

RyRy11

Onana has a couple more mistakes in him but he's generally better than DDG at everything other than shot stopping (which I'm aware is hugely important). Not really sure he's worth what we paid for him, nor do I think he's a significant upgrade on DDG. I hope it's a confidence issue, as he played better than this at Inter and his last years at Ajax.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A clown. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to see that he was a glorified Barthez.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Bit harsh. Of course, he will have made errors in a 10+ year spell at United.

Half of those are not his fault - they put in the massive own goal deflections that he had no chance to save!
It's ridiculous. De Gea was a magnificent keeper, amongst the top five in the world for many years, literally carried United at times.

Had that fax fiasco not gone down in 2015, he'd have moved to Real and been part of that CL three-peat squad and his status would be legendary in their lore. He wasted his best years with a broken United.

Jev

De Gea in his full glory

Watched the first two minutes and there wasn't anything as bad as Onana's three biggest errors for us so far – and De Gea has played as many seasons for us as Onana has played games.

DDG has made several howlers but making a 20 minute video filled with clips where DDG is not at fault doesn't prove a point – it in fact undermines it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He hasn't exactly covered himself in glory so far.

Thing is, more than one thing can be true at the same time (radical concept, I know).

He can be suffering from a system that - clearly - isn't working optimally at the moment and, at the same time, be making unnecessary mistakes on a purely individual level.

The latter is something a player with a supposedly strong mentality can't be easily excused for. If he can't keep his head, if the pressure is getting to him - say - that's kind of a deal breaker in terms of the kind of player many expected to get for that sort of money.

The odd clanger, not being a brilliant shot stopper - and so forth: that was expected. There was always a tradeoff involved regarding the inevitable comparisons with De Gea, and reasonable fans were prepared for this.

So far, though, he's simply looked a bit shit for a big signing (which he is *). Again, this is undoubtedly because of both systemic and inividual factors. But the latter are on him - how could they not be?

* He's the third most expensive keeper ever in pure numbers, and even if you adjust those numbers for inflation and whatnot, he's got to be pretty high up the list.

Last edited:

city-puma

It’s still too early to judge. But I am disappointed that he is not that athletic.

Judas

Open to offers
A lot of his errors aren’t even shot stopping, it’s basic stuff like diving early or just doing technically the wrong thing. Some proper Sunday league keeping.

Loon

:lol:
City would already be in the market for another keeper. We don't have that kind of money. I'm not usually one for binning off players so early, but we can't afford his learning curve.

luckypepper

A lot of his errors aren’t even shot stopping, it’s basic stuff like diving early or just doing technically the wrong thing. Some proper Sunday league keeping.
Exactly, poor passing once a while can be overlooked given how good the opposition team press is / how available your players are for a pass. The likes of Ederson, Allison or other modern day goalkeepers have committed similar mistake on more than one occasion. What is concerning though is the lack of positional awareness - he cannot seem to stay on his feet and always jumps the gun. This was the case for two of the goals yesterday as well as the first goal against Forest (where he seemed to go down on his knees rather than making himself big). Hope this is something which can be coached and brought to attention otherwise we are fecked.

Pronewbie

Peep
Same can be applied for Onana and even worse as his reactions, flexibility and jumping abilites seem mid to low tier from the start. They won't improve that much.
His reactions are fine from what I saw in the CL last season. It's his technique. Temperament - the jury is still out.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Its the way he flops to the ground like a sack of spuds that worries me. Doesn't appear very agile at all