Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Its more than fair its an absolute fact. We have scored more, but thats due to the incredible talent we have on the wings and forward midfield, and injuries/stifling of United forwards.
And a manager implementing successful systems.

prarek

Hernandez is a quality poacher and can be RVN's successor. Give him a run of games and he will guarantee goals.

Kagawa is a very good player.

Smalling has tons of potential. He is just unpolished.

Mata looks like a cross between Roger Federer and Rooney.

Last edited:

LR7

I agree with most of the 'unpopular' opinions in here. I don't necessarily think that one of Rooney or RvP needs to go though. For me the perfect situation would be bringing in two top class CMs and have Rooney play at the tip of the midfield trio. Not an out and out CM but deeper than he mostly plays atm. He's done it a few times this season, but it only ever lasts a couple of games, and imo they've coincided with some of our best all-round performances.

Im in complete agreement that our squad isn't nearly as bad as some in here make out. It isn't in need of a complete overhaul at all. Failure to strengthen adequately (not Fellaini) in the summer just gone was a massive missed opportunity. Two quality CMs and perhaps an LB (I don't think Evra is as poor as people make out - just needs proper competition and a good rest every now and again) and the squad would have a completely different complexion. De Gea, Rafael, Jones (CB), Evans, Mata, Rooney, Januzaj, RvP is a good basis to build upon.

I think Smalling isn't good enough on the ball to play as a starter for United although I think he can be a decent squad player.

Stubbornness has contributed to some of our failings this season imo. The wingers have been dire for pushing two years now and not once this season (not that I can remember anyway) have we ditched traditional wing play. Instead we have built our whole gameplan, for pretty much every game, to centre around the wings and the wingers. It's absurd. It's either the only way Moyes knows how to play (crosses) or he is trying to honour a United tradition (which needs modernising) rather than playing to the strengths of the team and players he currently has at his disposal.

In addition Moyes has bemoaned our passing numerous times this season yet we continue to play very spread out across the width of the pitch with players far away from each other which only serves to make passing more difficult and forces people to go long, hindering good quick interplay. Playing more compact (though not necessarily overly narrow) would increase the passing options for the player on the ball.

I said in the summer that Moyes' biggest challenge would be learning how to sensibly and effectively rotate a squad this size and how to use subs effectively. I was wrong. Getting this squad to play to his potential is definitely his biggest challenge, one that he's failing at atm, but subs and rotation aren't too far behind.

Good thread KC.

Rory 7

It's more comfortable to say Moyes, our new man, is not up for the job than to say the players we've grown a great liking to and shared multiple winning moments don't give a shit about our beloved club anymore.
Thats why that is the really unpopular opinion. Whisper it. These over paid multi millionaires just don't care enough. Nothing to prove anymore. All the senior lads are made for life. Time to rip it up and start again at United. The Ferguson spell is broken. Now its time to leave those players at the station who aren't prepared to fight for United.

Unpopular opinions? I want to see United players losing the rag the odd time!

Cal?

CR7 fan
It probably isn't, but I've never read anything to the extent of him being SAF's greatest ever mistake.
Actually I called Moyes the biggest mistake in sporting history alongside passing on Jordan.

Rory 7

It would have. Roy Keane would be playing crap just like most others.
I don't believe that to be the case. And even if he was at least he'd be cracking a few skulls together. Who in the current squad would you want beside you in a fight?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Martinez won't be a success long-term at Everton.

Man City are fundamentally flawed as a team(controversial until last night).

I also think RVP wishes he hung on a year.
I don't know if he does but it's weird how most of your lot are sure you would have bought Ozil had Van Persie still been there.

Dominos

Scholes' return to "save our season" in the 2nd half of 2011/2012 was massively overstated. We played unbelievably slow and shite football during that winning run we went on (this was the time Noodle started his zombie passing thread). We were still overrun in all of the high intensity away games he played - Norwich, Spurs, City. In fact his very first contribution on his return was the FA Cup game at the Etihad where we were 3-0 up at half time was to gift them a goal as soon as he was put under slight pressure because his legs were gone. Somehow he was lauded for his 2nd half substitute appearance whereby we almost lost the 3 goal lead, stopped creating chances and played the slowest most tumescent football imaginable.

The run where we lost to Wigan, drew with Everton and got battered by City to throw away the title you could see coming a mile off, we weren't putting in good performances even in the easy run of fixtures that seen us go 8 points clear.

Would've served us a lot better giving Pogba more playing time that season as well as Cleverley who had played very well on his return from injury in February but inexplicably got stuck in the reserves for the rest of the season.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
The amount of people in this thread who don't understand what is meant by an "unpopular opinion" :lol:

Hey guys, you might say that my thinking is out there - but I don't think that Moyes is doing very well so far. I mean...has nobody noticed that we're 7th in the league? And yet everyone is banging on about what a great job Moyes is doing. Now, I know everyone loves our focus on wing play, but I reckon maybe its time that we tried something else. That little Kagawa lad is quite good, we should give him a try and play with less focus on the wings. Also, and I realise that this might seem sacrilegious to say it as I know most people think that he's on par with Iniesta, I just don't think that Cleverley is as amazing as people make out. Whilst we're at it - Ryan Giggs. Yes, everyone loves the fact that we have a 40 year old in CM. Everyone seems to think that his experience is invaluable and he could carry on until his mid-40s at the top level. Well, call me crazy, but I think he should retire and we should sign a younger CM. I'm sorry if that offends anyway, I realize this is an unpopular opinion and all, I hope you won't judge me too harshly and will take into account that this thread is supposed to be a safe place where we can reveal our unpopular opinions without judgement or discrimination.

Kag

Thats why that is the really unpopular opinion. Whisper it. These over paid multi millionaires just don't care enough. Nothing to prove anymore. All the senior lads are made for life. Time to rip it up and start again at United. The Ferguson spell is broken. Now its time to leave those players at the station who aren't prepared to fight for United.

Unpopular opinions? I want to see United players losing the rag the odd time!
That happened just two weeks ago. Both Rafael and Vidic were branded "idiots" as a result. Your point of view is, in your opinion, unpopular because it doesn't remotely consider what actually happens on the training field. It doesn't consider tactics or the motivation skills of the manager. Instead, it's just a baseless conclusion you've come to based on nothing other than the fact that the lads are all out of form. The idea that you know how they feel is a bit funny, because you don't. Neither do I, but given their track records I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt and speak of them with the credit and respect they deserve. The people you speak of could only include around 5 players anyway - Rio, Vidic, Evra... I'm struggling. The rest have plenty of reason to try hard for the club, and they do.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The amount of people in this thread who don't understand what is meant by an "unpopular opinion" :lol:

Hey guys, you might say that my thinking is out there - but I don't think that Moyes is doing very well so far. I mean...has nobody noticed that we're 7th in the league? And yet everyone is banging on about what a great job Moyes is doing. Now, I know everyone loves our focus on wing play, but I reckon that that little Kagawa lad is quite good and we should play with less focus on the wings. Also, and I realise that this might seem sacrilegious to say it as I know most people think that he's on par with Iniesta, I just don't think that Cleverley is as amazing as people make out. Whilst we're at it - Ryan Giggs. Yes, everyone loves the fact that we have a 40 year old in CM. Everyone seems to think that his experience is invaluable and he could carry on until his mid-40s at the top level. Well, call me crazy, but I think he should retire and we should sign a younger CM. I'm sorry if that offends anyway, I realize this is an unpopular opinion and all, I hope you won't judge me too harshly and will take into account that this thread is supposed to be a safe place where we can reveal our unpopular opinions without judgement or discrimination.
We've hundreds and hundreds of active posters on here, has it occurred to you that some will be in agreement, no matter the opinion. Doesn't make it popular opinion, does it?

Bebe

One of RVP and Rooney needs to be sold this summer.

Kagawa is brilliant.

It is entirely possible to play 4 of Rooney, Van Persie, Mata, Januzaj and Kagawa and be successful. Claims that this would lack defensive ability fail to understand that keeping possession is the best form of defence.

Rooney isn't a very good #10. He's far better as a #9 (but not as good as RVP).

LR7

:lol:

Nothing to do with the piles of oil money they throw around? Oh no, it's the fact they change their manager all the time. That's why they've been successful.
I think he's saying the managerial instability hasn't hindered their success on the pitch, although I agree with you re the financial advantage. Wenger is a great manager who would have won a lot more over the past decade if he had as much to spend as Chelsea and wasn't forced into selling his best players year on year to balance the books. It isn't a level playing field. Also no one knows how much Chelsea could have won if they'd had one manager like Wenger or SAF - or even just keeping Mourinho (!) over the past 10 or so years. I'd wager it being more than they've won chopping and changing.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We've hundreds and hundreds of active posters on here, has it occurred to you that some will be in agreement, no matter the opinion. Doesn't make it popular opinion, does it?
Eh?

My point is that half the opinions in this thread are not unpopular by any stretch of the imagination. Some are quite frankly the most popularly held opinions out there.

Rory 7

That happened just two weeks ago. Both Rafael and Vidic were branded "idiots" as a result. Your point of view is, in your opinion, unpopular because it doesn't remotely consider what actually happens on the training field. It doesn't consider tactics or the motivation skills of the manager. Instead, it's just a baseless conclusion you've come to based on nothing other than the fact that the lads are all out of form. The idea that you know how they feel is a bit funny, because you don't. Neither do I, but given their track records I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt and speak of them with the credit and respect they deserve. The people you speak of could only include around 5 players anyway - Rio, Vidic, Evra... I'm struggling. The rest have plenty of reason to try hard for the club, and they do.
What Rafael and Vidic did was something the two of them have done many times before. Late tackles.

When did we see someone like Scmikes giving the centre halves a bollicing? When have we seen our lads really go bananas as a group at a referee complete with vein popping abuse? When is the last time you've seen one of them have a go with one another? Really have a go with one another? All they do is shrug their shoulders and shuffle back off to their Chester mansions.

Last year when Fergie retired he said his favourite moments were 'all those late goals'. We aren't getting those late goals anymore because these players just don't care. If thats an unpopular opinion, good. Because its the truth.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I'm with Rory. As much as we criticize Moyes, we wouldn't have been where we are if all of our players, especially senior ones, played as well as they could.

Dominos

Ferguson terribly mismanaged Nani, as a consequence turned one of our best and most talented players into the forgotten man. He should've been one of the first names on the team sheet after 2010/2011, limiting his playing time in favour of Valencia and Young initially was criminal and then to completely ostracize him was beyond retarded. He was never given the run of games to build up form, and Moyes has only continued this tradition.

They've both made the same mistake with Kagawa. Never given a proper run of games despite being one of our most talented players, even when he impresses in his rare appearances, he wont be seen for weeks afterwards.

Kag

Last year when Fergie retired he said his favourite moments were 'all those late goals'. We aren't getting those late goals anymore because these players just don't care. If thats an unpopular opinion, good. Because its the truth.
It isn't the truth though, it's baseless, like I said. I actually think it's bollocks to be honest. Trying harder, or whatever that entails, isn't going to solve anything.

Treble

1. Rafael lacks intelligence, he's a bit of a headless chicken.
2. Carrick is past it.
3. RvP and Rooney don't work well together.
4. RvP, Rooney, Januzaj and Mata can't be accommodated with success against good teams.
5. Rooney's overrated as a playmaker.

Rory 7

It isn't the truth though, it's baseless, like I said. I actually think it's bollocks to be honest. Trying harder, or whatever that entails, isn't going to solve anything.
Its an opinion. And its clearly unpopular with you. So objective achieved in line with the OP.

Rory 7

1. Rafael lacks intelligence, he's a bit of a headless chicken.
2. Carrick is past it.
3. RvP and Rooney don't work well together.
4. RvP, Rooney, Januzaj and Mata can't be accommodated with success against good teams.
5. Rooney's overrated as a playmaker.
They are all pretty popular opinions in fairness. Many posters say things like that regularly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
One of RVP and Rooney needs to be sold this summer.

Kagawa is brilliant.

It is entirely possible to play 4 of Rooney, Van Persie, Mata, Januzaj and Kagawa and be successful. Claims that this would lack defensive ability fail to understand that keeping possession is the best form of defence.

Rooney isn't a very good #10. He's far better as a #9 (but not as good as RVP).
That's impossible, considering there's 5 players, so you can't fit them 5 in a front 4. :smirk:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
2) Chelsea have better full backs. They have better players in the attacking third. They have more strength in depth. Not to mention those two unmentionable topics.
1) Agree. I prefer van Persie to Rooney.
Better players in the attacking third?

We have rvp, Rooney, mata, Januzaj, Hernandez, welbeck, Nani and Kagawa. Not to mention everyone's favorite wingers. Chelsea's aren't as good.

Rory 7

Indeed it has.
And like all 'opinions' you can argue all night that its baseless. As dirty harry would put it, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has them".

But in all seriousness I really truly believe my opinion about the lack of fight and leadership from our players to be true.

What is most ironic about football supporters, including most of our own, is the first person we turn on the new manager. No one ever stops and thinks 'oh hold on, these guys are overpaid millionaires who just don't care enough'.

Maybe I've missed something, maybe most posters on here earn on average 100k a week. Because the guys that are NOT fighting for United at the moment on average are paid that much BECAUSE of the support of people like us.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
And like all 'opinions' you can argue all night that its baseless. As dirty harry would put it, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has them".

But in all seriousness I really truly believe my opinion about the lack of fight and leadership from our players to be true.
What is most ironic about football supporters, including most of our own, is the first person we turn on the new manager. No one ever stops and thinks 'oh hold on, these guys are overpaid millionaires who just don't care enough.

Maybe I've missed something, maybe most posters on here earn on average 100k a week. Because the guys that are NOT fighting for United at the moment on average a paid that much BECAUSE of the support of people like us.
I'm with you all the way on this one

Jaapster

I'm with Rory. As much as we criticize Moyes, we wouldn't have been where we are if all of our players, especially senior ones, played as well as they could.
That's surely about management as well , Motivating players, coaching them . Its like saying anyone could manage United, yeah they could if the players played as well as they could .

Mersault

Better players in the attacking third?

We have rvp, Rooney, mata, Januzaj, Hernandez, welbeck, Nani and Kagawa. Not to mention everyone's favorite wingers. Chelsea's aren't as good.
I should have mentioned, I meant apart from strikers - those providing the service...alas

Rory 7

That's surely about management as well , Motivating players, coaching them . Its like saying anyone could manage United, yeah they could if the players played as well as they could .
Yes it is partly. But I don't know about you, if I wasn't doing my job I'd be sacked. And thats just what Moyes is going to have to do. SACK half the senior squad. Now there is an unpopular opinion.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Another radical opinion now: Please don't judge me too harshly, but I think that there is a slight possibility that 442 with conventional wingers is slightly outdated and our preference for it might be holding us back a bit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I should have mentioned, I meant apart from strikers - those providing the service...alas
Ah. Still close. Mata has outperformed everyone at Chelsea the last two yeads and Rooney better than anyone they've got. So id still give us the edge.

The key difference is in the output of the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.