US Politics

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I am sure a person who owes child support can't just move his funds somewhere else and be let off. They will be taken to the cleaners. Why would corporations be treated differently in this case?
Corporations constitute a different class (one's relationship to capital and production process) than the average working person who owes child support. That class character also extends to the US government. In other words, the corporations are in bed with the US government. Pretty much has been this way since the start. There's a phrase in US politics called the "revolving door" which alludes to powerful people going from corporation to government and then back into corporation. Dick Cheney is a famous example.

Because of this, it's why you see a trend in the US where many times corporations do something fecked up and never seem to get in too much trouble if at all. Wall Street continued the US tradition of crashing the economy as recently as 2008 and where are they? Still here taking advantage of the system. Johnson & Johnson is a very huge company. The kind of corporation that owns corporations, and one that deals heavily with the pharmaceutical industry, which is one of the most powerful lobbies in the US government. They'll at worst take a slight PR hit, maybe fire a couple of scapegoats, but will remain as is with their operations. Expect this trend to continue with the way our economic mode of production is set up.

Cloud7

Corporations constitute a different class (one's relationship to capital and production process) than the average working person who owes child support. That class character also extends to the US government. In other words, the corporations are in bed with the US government. Pretty much has been this way since the start. There's a phrase in US politics called the "revolving door" which alludes to powerful people going from corporation to government and then back into corporation. Dick Cheney is a famous example.

Because of this, it's why you see a trend in the US where many times corporations do something fecked up and never seem to get in too much trouble if at all. Wall Street continued the US tradition of crashing the economy as recently as 2008 and where are they? Still here taking advantage of the system. Johnson & Johnson is a very huge company. The kind of corporation that owns corporations, and one that deals heavily with the pharmaceutical industry, which is one of the most powerful lobbies in the US government. They'll at worst take a slight PR hit, maybe fire a couple of scapegoats, but will remain as is with their operations. Expect this trend to continue with the way our economic mode of production is set up.
This is absolutely mind boggling. The fact that this is legal, the fact that nothing is going to come of this.

Has something like this ever been done? Theoretically, going forward, can any company that feck up on a massive scale and have a large number of claims made against them do something like this?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

All true except when it comes to religious belief and abortion. Then corporates, especially family owned corporate business could be treated as individuals

Cloud7

good old american judicial impartiality

Was America always this insane and I’ve only started noticing in the last couple years since I began paying attention to it, or is this a recent direction?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
"slightly" better I guess? Perfect example of manipulation by editing or removal.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"slightly" better I guess? Perfect example of manipulation by editing or removal.

Minor detail that doesn't really change the substance of the first tweet! Don't know why the tweet reply called it a major detail.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Minor detail that doesn't really change the substance of the first tweet! Don't know why the tweet reply called it a major detail.
Yeah, not a major detail, but still a case of removing information to sensationalize something.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The Radical Fanatical Right. Hopefully the Republican party will be classified as a domestic terrorist organization and outlawed. Maybe that's what they want so they can become the Trump Party.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They just don’t even hide it anymore (paywall)…

Who is this kook, @WI_Red?
Before my time here, but I think she was Walker's Lt. Gov.

I can not overstate how batshit crazy the radical right wingers, especially in the rural north of the state, are.