Van De Beek | Everton Loan Watch

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes people expect a multi million Man United midfield signing from Ajax to start for 16th place Everton. I'm not sure what the shock here is about?
Yeah, his performances don't matter. Just walk in and say "I'm Donny from Manchester Ajax, let me start!", and teams will bow down. Everton are 16th but their squad isn't the 16th best in the league and regardless of their level, a player who has struggled to shine in the PL will have to improve to start regularly in the PL, especially given we weren't loaded in midfield either.

danamann

I said it the day he was signed. He is the new Davy Klassen. Fitting that he plays for Everton, where he will also fail to establish himself. Ajax even signed Davy Klassen to replace Van de Beek. Just all round an incredibly bad signing.

red4ever 79

For anyone interested

He played 30 mins and actually saw quite a lot of the ball. Played as a number 8 which I think is his best position. Donny needs a run of games and then we can re evaluate.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he will get games ahead of Gomes soon enough. Gomes is a luxury player who you can afford to have in a 3 man midfield when you're pushing for EL, he's not made for a relegation battle. Let's see if Donny is.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
For anyone interested

He played 30 mins and actually saw quite a lot of the ball. Played as a number 8 which I think is his best position. Donny needs a run of games and then we can re evaluate.
Some of those sideways passes were just :drool: .

Wasn't really a debut where we can say "this is what we are missing in midfield". Will definitely try to watch more Everton games when they are on and he's starting, as he still doesn't convince me much of being a particular answer to some of our problems in midfield.

ICHM

I am hoping he plays well enough that Everton pay 30M to buy him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Are you sure you weren’t still on the Caf?
This sounds amazing but I am somewhat unsure you are a reliable source.
Were they watching an Ajax game from 2019?
:lol: C'mon lads, what good would it do me for VDB to come off the bench? I'd have to name change. Think for a second.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/donny-van-de-beek.114474/

There's like 1 negative comment in 4 pages, with a few moderate ones but mostly positive.

Looked half decent when he came on, wanted the ball.
Solitary bright spot tonight.
He'll play every game. Wanted the ball, took the ball, had an actual idea of what he'd like to do with the ball.

Basics, but most of his teammates can't do it.
Nope. The lad is quality the his markers had no idea where he was, he was effortless in possession of ball.
I think you're right in the sense that it was nothing overly special, just doing basic things like passing and moving very well. The fact that he's being so highly praised is that it was light years ahead of our other midfielders. I disagree that he was static and only passing back. He was constantly available for the ball and combines well going forward too.

SATA

Not sure if I’m seeing the same thing. All i saw was him receiving the ball and dilly dallying with it while pretending to do something useful, and then pass it back to the player nearest him because he has no confidence or the technique to execute it. Literally all of that happened in the first minute of the clip

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not sure if I’m seeing the same thing. All i saw was him receiving the ball and dilly dallying with it while pretending to do something useful, and then pass it back to the player nearest him because he has no confidence or the technique to execute it. Literally all of that happened in the first minute of the clip
Did you watch past the first minute?

youngrell

:lol: C'mon lads, what good would it do me for VDB to come off the bench? I'd have to name change. Think for a second.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/donny-van-de-beek.114474/

There's like 1 negative comment in 4 pages, with a few moderate ones but mostly positive.
Was just a little joke because the comments were very familiar. Hopefully he has a good spell and can either come back here and contribute or find himself a decent move that benefits United too.

Looking at the clip of his 30 minutes, he has his work cut out. Everton with less movement than us when we're gassed.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Was just a little joke because the comments were very familiar. Hopefully he has a good spell and can either come back here and contribute or find himself a decent move that benefits United too.

Looking at the clip of his 30 minutes, he has his work cut out. Everton with less movement than us when we're gassed.
Should be good practice for United's 22/23 season when Martial isn't moving as our no 9, Rashford is offside and VDB has to play as a 6 because Matic retired and our board decided against buying a DM :lol:

:(

youngrell

Should be good practice for United's 22/23 season when Martial isn't moving as our no 9, Rashford is offside and VDB has to play as a 6 because Matic retired and our board decided against buying a DM :lol:

:(
We can't go another window, surely? SURELY!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not every pass needs to be progressive, I think this is an issue with a lot of people's judgment when it comes to midfield.

You can see he looks up, he aims to pass it forward - but he won't force it. He will then move it sideways and reposition to try and create a better angle.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I wish our midfielders would do it more often. Too many times you see Mctominay in particular play it to somebody already under pressure, or try to force a pass through a gap and we end up turning over the ball.

Keeping the ball in the modern game is paramount, especially when playing deeper in midfield. You can be more risky when closer to their goal.

From the video it was a steady cameo, he needs to build his fitness and more importantly confidence.

I really don't understand why there is already negative comments in here. People just want to say "told you so", it's frankly odd.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not every pass needs to be progressive, I think this is an issue with a lot of people's judgment when it comes to midfield.

You can see he looks up, he aims to pass it forward - but he won't force it. He will then move it sideways and reposition to try and create a better angle.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I wish our midfielders would do it more often. Too many times you see Mctominay in particular play it to somebody already under pressure, or try to force a pass through a gap and we end up turning over the ball.

Keeping the ball in the modern game is paramount, especially when playing deeper in midfield. You can be more risky when closer to their goal.

From the video it was a steady cameo, he needs to build his fitness and more importantly confidence.

I really don't understand why there is already negative comments in here. People just want to say "told you so", it's frankly odd.
Which is why I asked if he watched the full clip. His passing became more progressive past the first minute he referenced.

Adam-Utd

Which is why I asked if he watched the full clip. His passing became more progressive past the first minute he referenced.
People just like to moan about anything. If they did an 'every touch' of Xavi and Iniesta back in the day, how many sideways passes do you think they had?

Sideways is only bad if there's an obvious forward passing opportunity. IMO whenever I've seen Donny play, IF he can go forwards he will. I think that video highlights it also.

Anyway, i'm glad that Lampard is playing him as the 6 as it's his best position.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah, his performances don't matter. Just walk in and say "I'm Donny from Manchester Ajax, let me start!", and teams will bow down. Everton are 16th but their squad isn't the 16th best in the league and regardless of their level, a player who has struggled to shine in the PL will have to improve to start regularly in the PL, especially given we weren't loaded in midfield either.
Yeah one of the most talented Ajax players from one of their best sides in recent years -- a highly rated multimillion Man United signing. He hasn't struggled that much, just never been played. Why would people react to him not starting at Everton who are just lost to newcastle?

Rockets Redglare

I would genuinely love him to do well at Everton- he’s a really likeable player and he deserves his shot as he’s got nothing at United.

I just struggle to not be dubious as there must be a reason he never got a chance for us.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah one of the most talented Ajax players from one of their best sides in recent years -- a highly rated multimillion Man United signing. He hasn't struggled that much, just never been played. Why would people react to him not starting at Everton who are just lost to newcastle?
Cuz it's his first game in ages?

If VDB was "one of the most talented Ajax players", what were Ziyech, De Jong, De Ligt, Onana?

Smores

It is bizarre that some see it as a massive problem. We had some of our best years with two midfielders who would largely circulate the ball and let others be the danger.

Hopefully he gets game time and comes back because we do need someone that can just keep things ticking over.

Strootman's Finger

VDB isn't a 10 and never will be. He never played as a 10 at Ajax or the Dutch national team, but for some reason people think he's a 10.
Weird, because how he describes himself as a player is a 10, after he signed for Everton I seen multiple well known ex Dutch internationals talking about how he is a 10 and his talents in that role were wasted at United.

Adam-Utd

Weird, because how he describes himself as a player is a 10, after he signed for Everton I seen multiple well known ex Dutch internationals talking about how he is a 10 and his talents in that role were wasted at United.
He can play as a 10 for a team that builds through the wings and dominates possession, but his lack of pace and dribbling ability means he often struggles when his team try to counter attack.

He does come alive in the opponents box though. He's got a quick brain and reads the game well, is able to shoot from all angles.

The issue is in England defenders are so athletic, and the game is often end to end at lightning speed, he gets a bit lost in that position.

He's much better deeper in midfield where he sees more of the ball. He can let his brain and technique do the work instead of his legs.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
They are wrong though. An Ajax 10 isn't a 10. It's an attacking 8, even though people still call it a 10 because many famous Ajax players have played at that position, that no longer exists there. Bruno is a 10, in a position that doesn't exist at Ajax or the Dutch national team. The difference is there, but people already have trouble enough realizing that Alli and VDB aren't playing in the same position. So having to think about there being more than 3 roles in the midfield(DM, CM, AM) is hard enough already. No need to confuse them.

Crick

The lack of movement from the Everton players ahead of him when he got the ball each time was ridiculous. No wonder Everton lost. Just statues out there in front of him.

Last edited:

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
In the clip I saw a midfielder who was poised and that the defense respects. Note that when he had control the defense laid off him a bit and tried to force him to play back or sideways. When Fred or McT have the ball the defense attacks because they know that might force a mistake. Midfielders have to command respect or get eaten alive.

If DvB has a decent spell there, I'll never understand why we couldn't use him more with the midfield we have.

Sweet Square

Didn't realise the United match was also on BT yesterday, so needed up watch the Newcastle vs Everton. Van De Beek was ok, a few decent passes but nothing much else.

L1nk

Stupid to loan him when we are so short of midfielders and play Fred instead
We could have a squad full of actual dogshit, not awful players, i mean literal dogshit, and we'd still leave him on the bench so whats the point. If he couldn't get a look in past a woeful Fred, McTominay, Matic etc then there was absolutely no point in keeping him. Absolutely boggles the mind that we refused to let him have a run of games when we are crying out for a bit of technical ability in that midfield, I don't care how shit he is, he can not be as bad as our midfield players have been all season.

Lentwood

We could have a squad full of actual dogshit, not awful players, i mean literal dogshit, and we'd still leave him on the bench so whats the point. If he couldn't get a look in past a woeful Fred, McTominay, Matic etc then there was absolutely no point in keeping him. Absolutely boggles the mind that we refused to let him have a run of games when we are crying out for a bit of technical ability in that midfield, I don't care how shit he is, he can not be as bad as our midfield players have been all season.
But Fred, Matic and McTominay all objectively do something. Fred is terrible, but at least he gets about the opposition and makes interceptions/tackles from time-to-time. McTominay can't play on the half-turn, so can only play in straight-lines but is an absolute powerhouse and actually has nice technique for hitting cross-field passes or shots from range. Matic was a world-class player, let's be in no doubt about that. Struggling now but still classy on the ball and reads the game well.

DvdB has been at United two years and nobody can work out what he does exactly. To me, he reminds me of a bee without a swarm. In a team that's set-up to be a perfect pressing machine, with each player's role clearly defined, he can be an effective player. In the PL, and in a team like ours, he just gets lost. Drifting about, losing duels, making sideways and backwards passes etc...Of course, there's a bit of ability in him, but it's useless if he can't get on the ball in the right areas.

Abraxas

I think this is actually quite an awkward loan for Donny which means it is instructive for us.

Let's presume he is this excellent technical player that people say he is based on Ajax. Good on the ball, a system player, all that good stuff.

Well, Everton don't have a functioning system. What is their style of play? Nobody really knows except to say they're currently a bad side that traditionally have been a high tempo, aggressive side as that's what the fans and feel of the club and stadium require. It's not like he's walking into this great fit even if it is presumed that Donny is much better than he's shown at Utd.

This will be a proper test of his mettle in the PL.