Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Whatever man, justify Lindelof anyway you want that wont change the fact that he needs to improve on his strenght and agressiveness. Today it didnt cost us, tomorrow it will.
Again. I haven't, at any point tried to justify Lindelofs overall game to you, but your point is so utterly void of any credibility, you're attempt to make it so. I'm pretty certain you're aware of how rubbish your post was by now.

A-man

I hate stats but where are you getting that from, I am looking at stats right now and maguire won the same as him but attempted more
Maybe you misunderstood me. Lindelof won 3 aerial duels and Maguire 3. Maguire lost more duels than Lindelof.

It's not the push it's the way he defends it. Look how low he's ducking before he attempts to head it? why is he doing that?

All it takes is for Antonio to jump a little and he heads that into the net. He's very lucky he pushed into him.
Because otherwise he would chest it or score an own goal.

It's a ridiculous stick to beat him with, just highlights an agenda.

A-man

Why is he bending over to head a ball in the air?! how can you excuse that :lol: jump and head the fricking ball in the air!
Because the ball was low. Why would he not bend?? He bent and won the aerial. Got pushed in the back so the direction was poor but he won it.

JoaquinJoaquin

Whatever man, justify Lindelof anyway you want that wont change the fact that he needs to improve on his strenght and agressiveness. Today it didnt cost us, tomorrow it will.
Standards are low as we have had to put up with the likes of Jones, Rojo and Smalling for the last few years. Lindelof would probably be good in La Liga, but he isn't physical enough for the Premier League and that's why he gets exposed by strong strikers.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He was trying to head it over the goal. Looks like it glanced off Antonio and he was very lucky it went straight at the keeper.
It's very lucky it went it to the goalkeeper and VAR didn't review the blatant foul, or ignore the handball that guarantees the goal to be chalked off. If all those things didn't happen, it could've been a goal!

jesperjaap

Some posters on here will tell you it's because Macguire's English.
Maguire like a few has been poor the last 3/4 games. The rest of the season for me he has been pretty much what I expected of him, which wasnt an £80m defender by any means. He is a decent/good centre back and had a decent season, if you are suggesting Lindelof is better or had a better season I certainly would disagree

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Because the ball was low. Why would he not bend?? He bent and won the aerial. Got pushed in the back so the direction was poor but he won it.
Wtf are you talking about? the ball was low? it was a looping cross in, he was ducking before the ball had even dropped under the crossbar :lol:

Are you Lindelofs brother or something? if that was Maguire you would be slating him for days and days.

A-man

Wtf are you talking about? the ball was low? it was a looping cross in, he was ducking before the ball had even dropped under the crossbar :lol:

Are you Lindelofs brother or something? if that was Maguire you would be slating him for days and days.

Adam-Utd

You really are obtuse aren't you.

There's a video of it above yet you're pausing it at that moment :lol:

So you don't think at any point before that he could have jumped and headed it out of the box?

No... it's Lindelof. He will duck down to knee height and head it there instead :lol: shockingly bad.

mu4c_20le

It was really awkward. He had plenty of time to judge the flight of the ball, why not step forward and head it? or just clear it with any part of the body. Bending over like that was a dangerous piece of defending, I can only assume that he did not expect Antonio to come in hard, but again when it's that close to the goal, anyone could come flying in to try and win the ball.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm not sure that Ole is satisfied with a CB like him, when you think the standard of CBs he had played when winning trophies with United.
I mean, he (and maybe Blind) must be the weakest starting CB United have had of all time.

A-man

You really are obtuse aren't you.

There's a video of it above yet you're pausing it at that moment :lol:

So you don't think at any point before that he could have jumped and headed it out of the box?

No... it's Lindelof. He will duck down to knee height and head it there instead :lol: shockingly bad.
Pausing it at the moment he headed the ball and got hit in the back.
He won the aerial by almost one meter to the attackers head even though he was pushed in the back.

Adam-Utd

Pausing it at the moment he headed the ball and got hit in the back.
He won the aerial by almost one meter to the attackers head even though he was pushed in the back.
and he could have cleared it WAY before that. You don't head a ball coming into the box by bending over. If you think that's good defending no wonder you like Lindelof.

fps

Another pretty good game for Lindelof, just a mistake which nearly resulted in a goal when he needed to attack the ball and head clear, and one where he carried the ball and lost it. But he jumped well, covered well, brought he ball out OK (because the opposition was happy for him to have the ball, it still), so, yes. West Ham made nothing happen at all except on united’s left where Williams was on toast a few times.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Had a good game today. The goal we conceded was Pogba’s mistake. Other than that West ham didn’t have much.

With that said our whole back 5 (including DeGea) have been pretty shaky since Shaw and William’s injuries against Southampton.

AWB been tired, Maguire/Lindelöf trying best they can. Fosu-Mensah and Williams coming in doing it okay but not more. DeGea with some crucial mistakes (and some good saves also).

It’s not an easy job doing well in this United defence at the moment. Somehow we’re going into the last game as 3rd. Amazing isn’t it?

Red00012

If we want to get back to where we are this fella needs to be back up if even. It’s a pity Bailly and Axel are crocks

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He did good. My highest rating alongside Maguire & Greenwood. So that's the credit.

However, as per what people in here mentioned, few times today he showed his main weaknesses for lacking toughness/aggression in dealing strength to strength and aerial duel, the other one is that he's not very good aiming the ball with his head. I often see him need to push the player to prevent player winning header against him today. To summarise it, lack of strength, aggression & sucks in heading.

Lindelof is such a weird signing imo. I only said this because he reminds me of Blind, he's basically a right foot Blind but worse distribution. Blind's ball distribution is much better than him. What makes it weird signing is that Mourinho didn't rate Blind and he sold him but signed a younger version of him for 30m plus adds on. I'm not very sure if Ole is going to stick with him as our regular one next season.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's not the push it's the way he defends it. Look how low he's ducking before he attempts to head it? why is he doing that?
Because the trajectory of the ball relative to his position was such that he needed to get down to head it. If he doesn't get low it's hitting his chest or abdomen and anything could happen (probably something bad considering it's us). It's remarkable that you refuse to see this.

Yes, any defender would like to be closer to the ball when it starts dropping in so they can leap and head it with power and precision but he also has the job of marking Antonio and staying close to and goal side of an in form striker is more important.

yan man utd

There’s another way of looking at it. I mean if you’re a striker in the premier league which centre backs would you rather be up against?
Unfortunately he would be up there, because he is not particularly aggressive, physical, fast or intimidating. While his ball playing skills are ok, he doesn’t exactly shine against a hard press and tends to take the safe option of knocking the ball out of play rather than keeping possession because he simply lacks the confidence to do so.
His skill set is compounded by the fact that he doesn’t appear to complement Maguire who is more physical, more cultured and more intimidating but lacks pace. Put it this way they hardly seem to get the best out of each other.
they sit too deep and don’t seem to offer the team enough security. De Gea’s shakiness and lack of command doesn’t help...

He'sRaldo

I really wish he would step in and tackle sometimes instead of forever backing away. Opposition can simply dribble all the way into our box if they're up against him solely.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The master of doing nothing while looking busy. it feels like every other week i say it, but he is just a random dude playing CB with no characteristics or features. Just a nobody on the pitch.
He's actually got ability in how he accelerates past players so I hope he does it more. Problem is that he's just such a passive footballer I don't have much confidence in him doing anything pro actively and aggressively

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really wish he would step in and tackle sometimes instead of forever backing away. Opposition can simply dribble all the way into our box if they're up against him solely.
I'm resigned to the fact that this is just the defender he is and always will be. For him tackling is the absolute last resort. It's as if he's always mentally 2 years away from goal.

Adam-Utd

Because the trajectory of the ball relative to his position was such that he needed to get down to head it. If he doesn't get low it's hitting his chest or abdomen and anything could happen (probably something bad considering it's us). It's remarkable that you refuse to see this.

Yes, any defender would like to be closer to the ball when it starts dropping in so they can leap and head it with power and precision but he also has the job of marking Antonio and staying close to and goal side of an in form striker is more important.
Sorry don't believe a word of that.

The ball was coming in a looping arc, it was dropping out of the sky from crossbar height. All he had to do was jump and head the ball, but instead he bent over? perhaps he was anticipating Antonio about to jump into him and got scared/tried to protect himself, but I genuinely cannot think of any other CB that deals with it that way. Jump early and head it clear. He's lucky Antonio wasn't close enough to take advantage.

Andersons Dietician

I thought he was good last night. I’m surprised he doesn’t take a pop at goal on occasion because he has a rocket of a right. Anyone ever seen his free kicks for Benfica. Feel like we need to add this in to our free kick routines as just something different.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When pogba handles the ball, Lindelöf and maguire are both ducking behind him. Cowards. Vidic would have thrown his face at it

Kostov

How can anyone defend that shit it's beyond me. He either goes asking for a foul with that action, or it is just plain weak ass defending as he often does. Either way that's not what I want to see from a Manchester United CB. He could just go and fecking attack that aerial ball and clear it, instead he ducks and risks either a goal or an own goal. And people claiming it's a blatant foul, yeah it should be but so many times you see that kind of goals count and I wonder why do that when you can simply clear that.

And I think there was another situation like that second video, maybe I am confusing it with this one. Overall he didn't have the best of games.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

He didn'

How can anyone defend that shit it's beyond me. He either goes asking for a foul with that action, or it is just plain weak ass defending as he often does. Either way that's not what I want to see from a Manchester United CB. He could just go and fecking attack that aerial ball and clear it, instead he ducks and risks either a goal or an own goal. And people claiming it's a blatant foul, yeah it should be but so many times you see that kind of goals count and I wonder why do that when you can simply clear that.

And I think there was another situation like that second video, maybe I am confusing it with this one. Overall he didn't have the best of games.
Christ the second video. For a club that had Ferdinand, Stam, Vidic what a step down

Mcking

He is not a Manchester United defender, more like a Manchester United coward. He is like a ceremonial bodyguard. The kind that is there as a bodyguard, but doesn't actually do anything when the body needs to be guarded.

abkmufc92

People praising him for that game wow, he had almost no defending to do and the times he was called on to do some defending as shown in the clips above he fecks up.

He is a defender that doesn't like defending and is fecking awful when in possession of the ball taking fecking several touches just to lay the ball of to a player a couple of yards away from him.

For all the shit Jones and Bailly get I would rather have them in the team over him because they are not fecking afraid of defending.

A-man

I hope the people who love to throw shit on Lindelof/ Maguire and always express admiration for Liverpool’s defence, really watched Liverpool - Chelsea yesterday. Ok Liverpool defence have conceded 4 goals less over the season so marginally better than us in that sense, but the mistakes they made were a lot worse than “oh Lindelof headed the ball from a lower position than what Vidic would have done, he’s such a pussy and nowhere near United material”.

Mcking

I hope the people who love to throw shit on Lindelof/ Maguire and always express admiration for Liverpool’s defence, really watched Liverpool - Chelsea yesterday. Ok Liverpool defence have conceded 4 goals less over the season so marginally better than us in that sense, but the mistakes they made were a lot worse than “oh Lindelof headed the ball from a lower position than what Vidic would have done, he’s such a pussy and nowhere near United material”.
They got it done when it mattered. When it matters, Lindelof just proves to be weak. He showed it against Southampton and at Wembley.

A-man

They got it done when it mattered. When it matters, Lindelof just proves to be weak. He showed it against Southampton and at Wembley.
Did they, how come they didn’t even play semis at Wembley? Because they were out. They also lost with two goals to Chelsea.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Minor Maguire and Matic,every other player in our teams looks uncomfortable heading the ball.
Its somewhat entertaining when we're going against big burly dudes.

Last edited:

Pav1878

Regardless of whether you think Lindelof is good or not and if he was good last night or not, the fact remains, he is not good enough for what we are trying to achieve over the next few seasons and needs upgrading .

Status
Not open for further replies.