Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Never been sold. Has no outstanding attributes you want in a CB.

The bit where he spreads his arms put to let a cross run through and Piateck was right behind him to head home. Lucky we had De gea. Comical stuff, Jones or Smalling get ripped apart for that.

Red_toad

The knives are out after one average game. :houllier:
Go to the Smalling thread, guy isn't even playing and it's one heck of an active thread. Lindelof reminds me of Evans but not as good in the air and not acutally as good at defending. He's still got a lot to prove.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He can be very good at times but he has weaknesses for sure. Far from the ideal partner but let's hope Maguire can cover those gaps better than Smalling has.

Patrick08

Never been sold. Has no outstanding attributes you want in a CB.

The bit where he spreads his arms put to let a cross run through and Piateck was right behind him to head home. Lucky we had De gea. Comical stuff, Jones or Smalling get ripped apart for that.
One bad moment in preseason mate.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Honestly, you have to factor in who he played alongside. I think all our defenders have had a shocking game playing next to Rojo. It is not just an excuse, Lindelof has to improve in all defensive aspects himself. You get exposed playing alongside a player like Rojo if you can't hold your own defensively and struggle to organise those around you.

Fracture90

I'm really worried about potential Lindelof/Maguire partnership. Both of them are on the slow side and with our high back line, pressing style it will pose a problem.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We’ve always known he’s poor in the air. Look at all the games he’s been rated the absolute highest. All of them are against top opposition. He excels with the ball on the floor. Maguire will fill in the gaps for him.

He’s immaculate in his positioning and reading of the game with the ball on the floor.
AC Milan didn't exactly play hoofball, did they? I'm not putting much blame on Lindelof for it, but our playing out from the back in that game mostly resulted in us inviting pressure deep in our half which led to both goals by defensive mistakes. I can't remember an impressive moment from Lindelof when the ball was on the ground, like a pass opening up a big area or a run into space to create. He often makes the obvious passes, with good accuracy but that is not to be celebrated, imo. I rather have a defender that can clear the ball from a dangerous area and protect the goal by any means, than a CB who only plays when the ball is on the floor and makes mistakes when he has to defend. He'll have to improve his heading and use of body in defensive positions to become a top CB.

AgentP

Silly suggestion time:

Could Tuanzebe play alongside Maguire, with Lindelof as the defensive midfielder...

I am sitting here thinking of any random way to get Matic out of the team. Help.
The best thing to do is not play with a DM. A midfield pivot of Pogba and McT should be good enough with Dybala pulling the strings in front of them.

AgentP

How does Tuanzebe compare to Lindelof? Based on the preseason games, I wouldn't say Lindelof is clearly better than Axel. All the games they played together, we were pretty comfortable at the back. Has anyone watched Axel for Villa last season to give an informed opinion? I'm thinking on the lines of who will be a better player to pair with Maguire.

jesperjaap

The knives are out after one average game. :houllier:
Oh contrare, the red carpet and admiration are out for him after a run of 8 average games, knives are out when he is poor.

He isnt a bad defender, he is an average one with a couple of leaks in his game.....pretty much like all the cb we have had since Vidic/Rio bar Bailly who is a good defender with a couple of dams in his game.

He has improved a lot in his second season from awful to average, hopefully he can continue and its all about partnerships so maybe something gels with Maguire. Personally I just dont see it individually as always though he was totally average at Benfica and for Sweden before we signed him and also concerned he is not the right partner for Maguire style wise either

Ekeke

Honestly, you have to factor in who he played alongside. I think all our defenders have had a shocking game playing next to Rojo. It is not just an excuse, Lindelof has to improve in all defensive aspects himself. You get exposed playing alongside a player like Rojo if you can't hold your own defensively and struggle to organise those around you.
Not the case during the match. Rojo's defending was better than Lindelof's. Granted he did have 1 Rojo moment where he played himself into trouble which is what you expect, but he was the one defending quite well not Lindelof.

Ekeke

Keep in mind that in the previous 2 seasons Lindelof has had at United, he was one of our slowest starters and played poorly at the start of the season. He has got better around midway through the season. So it will be no surprise if its the same again. It shouldnt happen by now it should be addressed, but that is the pattern

Hughes35

I haven't seen the game last night. Surprised to see him getting criticism as he's a café fave.

It's unpopular but I don't really rate Victor.

Pace - Average
Passing - Average / Good
Reading of game - Average
Heading - Poor
Leadership - Average
Concentration - Average
Consistency - Average to Poor

I think the only real big plug point is that he isn't any of the other defenders and he seems to be injured less.

Really hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it with him unfortunately.

I still believe our first choice pairing will end up being Maguire with Smalling - I would do the standard of comment of saying "Or Phil Jones if he stays fit" but I've fully given up on him ever having a season where he stays in one piece.

Devil77

Silly suggestion time:

Could Tuanzebe play alongside Maguire, with Lindelof as the defensive midfielder...

I am sitting here thinking of any random way to get Matic out of the team. Help.
Interesting. Just stopped by this thread to say this. Another option would be to play Axel as DM. He looks solid with the ball at his feet. Anything to keep Matic out... :nervous:

Reactions: Invictus

arthurka

Dont give a shit what anyone else says Lindelöf is as average as they come. He was bought as a ball playing CB. He really isnt and all the other aspects of his game are awfully average. He was one of the starters in our terrible defense last season and really had a lot to do with it being shit. His heading is diabolical and he cant bully anyone but instead gets bullied. Smalling isnt a footballer but at least he can defend, recover, win highball duels and mark players out of the game (Kane went missing for weeks). I really fear for us going into this with Lindelöf and Matic as a part of a fuctioning defense. This has nothing to do with that game vs Milan as he looked just as fragile yesterday nothing new there.

JustAGuest

How does Tuanzebe compare to Lindelof? Based on the preseason games, I wouldn't say Lindelof is clearly better than Axel. All the games they played together, we were pretty comfortable at the back. Has anyone watched Axel for Villa last season to give an informed opinion? I'm thinking on the lines of who will be a better player to pair with Maguire.
I get that he's a promising prospect, but he has so far only had a single full season in the Championship. I think he's being slightly overrated on here.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not the case during the match. Rojo's defending was better than Lindelof's. Granted he did have 1 Rojo moment where he played himself into trouble which is what you expect, but he was the one defending quite well not Lindelof.
Rojo is the least dependable CB to start a partnership with. He is always injured, and when he plays you never know what he is going to do. Hence me saying how playing next to him usually gives a negative effect to his parter. If Rojo was cool headed then it might have been different, but he is a maniac and not everyone can adjust to that type of player in a one off game just like that.

Ekeke

Rojo is the least dependable CB to start a partnership with. He is always injured, and when he plays you never know what he is going to do. Hence me saying how playing next to him usually gives a negative effect to his parter. If Rojo was cool headed then it might have been different, but he is a maniac and not everyone can adjust to that type of player in a one off game just like that.
But he had a good game defensively. One point where he played himself into trouble which should surprise nobody, but in terms of actual defensive contributions Lindelof had more problems than Rojo did.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm really worried about potential Lindelof/Maguire partnership. Both of them are on the slow side and with our high back line, pressing style it will pose a problem.
Lindelof is pretty quick for a CB.

ivaldo

You can't be serious mate? At best, he's of average quickness and he really isn't all that agile either.
Yup. I think you’re seriously overrating the speed of your average CB.

ivaldo

Then we must have the quickest pool of CBs in the world
Ever, in the history of all things. Hyperbole enough for ya? Feel free to give me examples of him being burned by average pace forwards.

Trophy Room

I have no doubt that very soon the general consensus among the CAF will be that our defenders are all too slow. :lol:

Ekeke

Ever, in the history of all things. Hyperbole enough for ya? Feel free to give me examples of him being burned by average pace forwards.
He tends to drop a few yards behind because he knows he isnt very fast, so gives himself a headstart.

He's not as fast as Bailly, Smalling or Jones so he's not pretty quick for a CB

ivaldo

He tends to drop a few yards behind because he knows he isnt very fast, so gives himself a headstart.

He's not as fast as Bailly, Smalling or Jones so he's not pretty quick for a CB
Oh so no examples then.

We have a relatively quick set of CBs, yes.

Ekeke

Oh so no examples then.

We have a relatively quick set of CBs, yes.
Can you give me some examples of Rojo getting burned by pace?

Lindelof uses the right tactic to make up for the fact he's not that fast. So no he's not exposed by it often and usually deals with balls in behind him. But the balls are played in behind him and not Smalling because he's slower

Jacob

This ain't fifa, positioning and awareness are far more important than pace. Tempo with the ball and speed of thought are crucial however. Please look through the goals we conceded last season and tell me how many that were down to us getting outpaced?

DoomSlayer

Lindelof has good pace. He isn't lightning fast as Bailly but then not many CBs in the world are.

Also, Smalling is not fast, not anymore anyway, that's a total myth. Jones is on Lindelof's level, they are above average but nothing special in that regard.

Ekeke

Lindelof has good pace. He isn't lightning fast as Bailly but then not many CBs in the world are.

Also, Smalling is not fast, not anymore anyway, that's a total myth. Jones is on Lindelof's level, they are above average but nothing special in that regard.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: This meme poster

ivaldo

Can you give me some examples of Rojo getting burned by pace?

Lindelof uses the right tactic to make up for the fact he's not that fast. So no he's not exposed by it often and usually deals with balls in behind him. But the balls are played in behind him and not Smalling because he's slower
I think we have a set of relatively quick centrebacks, I’ve literally just said that. If you want to insinuate pace will be an issue with Lindelof, then coming up with some examples of him being done by average paced forwards should be easy enough.

Smiling being quicker than him doesn’t make him slow. What kind of logic is that?

sillwuka

He's one of my favourite players in this team but I have to admit he looked like his old self yesterday.. the Lindelof we first signed.

Needs to up his game to ensure that he partners Maguire all season because the last thing we need is chopping and changing at the back. I hope he can be a bit more pro active when reading opposition attacks.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I understand Lindelof has been decent for us but I can’t help but think Smalling as a defender is better. Probably get slated for this but I think before Maguire, Smalling is our strongest defender.

Ekeke

I am totally amused by your Smalling infatuation. :lol:

You get seriously wound up when people criticise him and say the truth.
I have to admit your parody portrayal of a Lindelof fanboy is hilarious. You've got this down perfectly within 2000 posts, much respect

Status
Not open for further replies.