Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManRed

Excellent highlights on MOTD. Defensively solid and his passing under pressure was excellent and led to quick counters.

Bobski

His best game of the season, embraced the physical challenge and was much more positive with his passing through the lines off the back of it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Had a much much better game.

he really needs to stop doing those stupid tackles/pushes by the sideline though! He creates a free kick opportunity by being over eager.

apart from that though he and maguire dominated a usually tricky front 2

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
Had a much much better game.

he really needs to stop doing those stupid tackles/pushes by the sideline though! He creates a free kick opportunity by being over eager.

apart from that though he and maguire dominated a usually tricky front 2
Mate, he's caused 9 fouls the entire season.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I always feel like he's going to get outjumped/outmuscled in every game and it'll cost us a goal and yet the stats suggest otherwise.

He's having a really good season despite our defensive woes and despite the lingering doubts about him and Maguire as a partnership.

Adam-Utd

Mate, he's caused 9 fouls the entire season.
And probably 7 of those are those stupid fouls where he barges into the back of a forward for absolutely no reason?

Kamprad

Well the reason he has few fouls is because he’s busy running away from the situation

A-man

And probably 7 of those are those stupid fouls where he barges into the back of a forward for absolutely no reason?
I don’t understand where this critique comes from. It’s like you really want to find errors with him. If your figures would be right, it would mean one “unnecessary” free kick every third match. It’s nothing. You can’t play a physical game against a physical team without conceding freekicks.

Adam-Utd

I don’t understand where this critique comes from. It’s like you really want to find errors with him. If your figures would be right, it would mean one “unnecessary” free kick every third match. It’s nothing. You can’t play a physical game against a physical team without conceding freekicks.
I never made the figures, the guy I replied to did.

and... yes you can. Cutting out fouls that aren’t required is quite easy and simple. I said he had a good game apart from that and dealt with the main physical challenge well, but do you honestly think he needed to foul wood out on the touch line? he has him trapped.

burnley play for set pieces and that’s the only way they we’re going to score. Stupid mistakes like that are the difference between winning or not.

A-man

I never made the figures, the guy I replied to did.

and... yes you can. Cutting out fouls that aren’t required is quite easy and simple. I said he had a good game apart from that and dealt with the main physical challenge well, but do you honestly think he needed to foul wood out on the touch line? he has him trapped.

burnley play for set pieces and that’s the only way they we’re going to score. Stupid mistakes like that are the difference between winning or not.
It’s one thing to complain about that particular free kick, but you put it like it is a huge problem with him. It’s not. It happens but not often.

Adam-Utd

It’s one thing to complain about that particular free kick, but you put it like it is a huge problem with him. It’s not. It happens but not often.
I’ve seen it happen 3/4 times which is showing he’s not learning. For me that’s an issue, hence why I said it. If you want to turn a blind eye that’s fine.

A-man

I’ve seen it happen 3/4 times which is showing he’s not learning. For me that’s an issue, hence why I said it. If you want to turn a blind eye that’s fine.
I see it every match with some players and won’t really worry if a player has done it 3-4 times in 66 PL appearances.

Kamprad

Thanks. I don’t really mind this constant dropping back. It makes the defense more solid if you know what I mean. Let the attacker do the first move and wait for backup. But this guy has just taken it to the next level. He literally avoid situations: Sometimes it feels like he does it in a sneaky way so no one will notice.

He'sRaldo

We were talking about this a couple days back & I reckon Lindelof will get Physical depending on the opposition but he has a mental issue.

Burnley are officially the most physical team in the PL playing 90's English football & Lindelof wouldn't have survived playing his 'normal' way.

He bought it on because he had to when playing against Burnley. When he plays against the other teams I believe he possibly forgets to bring it on or simply starts thinking too much about defending 'tactically & zonally & overly complicated' for his own good.

There's an element of simplicity to defending that you always see in the best of defenders & you very rarely see it in Lindelof.
Yup, it's obviously not his style, and maybe he doesn't think he needs it except for those "special" games. That's why I said competing with Rojo, who himself is a quite aggressive defender, might make him more assertive.

Who knows, maybe this match will make him kick on in some way, but I doubt it. I think he'll be back to his comfortable style, although I hope to be pleasantly surprised by him.

Meep

Thanks. I don’t really mind this constant dropping back. It makes the defense more solid if you know what I mean. Let the attacker do the first move and wait for backup. But this guy has just taken it to the next level. He literally avoid situations: Sometimes it feels like he does it in a sneaky way so no one will notice.
Can you back that up with Some examples?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
There is many. Look for it in the build up, probably if you go through all the goals we've conceded this season you'll see a few examples. He is not a proactive defender, and it makes us very easy to counter attack against, because strikers get time and space to turn and it changes the dynamic of the game when we allow them to run at us all game. I'm not saying he can't learn it, but it is very much a weakness that absolutely has to be improved on.

Foxbatt

Lindelof is in a no win situation. He is slow and if he tries to nip it before the forward gets the ball, the forward could get goalside of him and that's the end of it. So he waits for the forward to commit. That particular free kick against Burnely should never have been given because the Burnley player was already tugging at the shirt of Lindelof before Lindelof commits any foul.
Yes I think he is not good enough because he is slow and does not head the ball well. But he was good yesterday and he did cut out a few crosses too that could have been goals.

Kamprad

I don’t know how to post clips from the games but there’s many situations. He does it all the time. Drops back and waits for teammates to nick the ball or tackle. Often I don’t mind it but sometimes I do. The sneaky ways I’m talking about is not when he drops back but how he behaves in the penalty area sometimes. His body language and movements. It feels like he is hiding and hoping someone else will do the dirty job. There’s no confidence, no presence. That is why he is not a long term choice for this club as a centre back.

Last edited:

A-man

There is many. Look for it in the build up, probably if you go through all the goals we've conceded this season you'll see a few examples. He is not a proactive defender, and it makes us very easy to counter attack against, because strikers get time and space to turn and it changes the dynamic of the game when we allow them to run at us all game. I'm not saying he can't learn it, but it is very much a weakness that absolutely has to be improved on.
Its both game style and roles. Maguire clearly has the role where he steps up and Lindelof drops as last man. Then his defending style is more passive than reactive. He prefers to follow the attacker instead of tackle etc. Both ways have benefits but the best is of course if you master both. But I wouldn’t call either of those way more proactive than the other. Lindelof needs to read the game and be right in position to be able to play like that. He needs to understand what Maguire is about to do.

Litch

My player of the season pre Ole last year. The problem with forums is people struggle once they think they have made an assessment of a player to admit it's wrong, and to support their argument will continue to make reference to the mistakes the player made for why they made that assessment in the first place. We can see the same with the comments about Fred irrespective of the fact on how he's playing at the moment.

He loses an header that leads to a goal, he can't head. He gets out muscled, he's weak and someone runs past him, he's slow. Unless you are VVD, that's pretty much applicable to every CB in the Prem. His percentage of winning headers and tackles are up their with the best. He's far from slow and rarely gets beat for pace. He reads the game well and his passing through the lines has been excellent this season.

There are things that he can improve on but that's the same for everyone. He's 25 which is a novice at CB and his time here, it's rare he's had a settled partnership which is important at CB. We aren't going to see the best in him or Harry until what's going on in front of them is resolved.....

Litch

Its both game style and roles. Maguire clearly has the role where he steps up and Lindelof drops as last man. Then his defending style is more passive than reactive. He prefers to follow the attacker instead of tackle etc. Both ways have benefits but the best is of course if you master both. But I wouldn’t call either of those way more proactive than the other. Lindelof needs to read the game and be right in position to be able to play like that. He needs to understand what Maguire is about to do.
Agree. That takes time on the training ground and also on the pitch. This defence is 75% brand new and it's not like Harry or AWB have come from a Juve or Bayern in their 30's with 80 international caps and CL experience. Against the best attacks this season, the defence as proven to have done well, this is not our issue this season nor is it Lindelof's.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don’t know how to post clips from the games but there’s many situations. He does it all the time. Drops back and waits for teammates to nick the ball or tackle. Often I don’t mind it but sometimes I do. The sneaky ways I’m talking about is not when he drops back but how he behaves in the penalty area sometimes. His body language and movements. It feels like he is hiding and hoping someone else will do the dirty job. There’s no confidence, no presence. That is why he is not a long term choice for this club as a centre back.
He does seem very sneaky when doing that. :lol: I hate to see that from a defender, such a weird trait. Hopefully he can get rid of it. No excuse for it, if anyone really prefers that in their defender and don't read it as a current weakness I don't know what to say.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is braver than Maguire with ball on his feet. He attacks the space much faster than Maguire with the ball.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He does seem very sneaky when doing that. :lol: I hate to see that from a defender, such a weird trait. Hopefully he can get rid of it. No excuse for it, if anyone really prefers that in their defender and don't read it as a current weakness I don't know what to say.
Have to say I agree. I think he's quite a talented defender, particularly on the deck but, a bit like David Luiz when he's struggling in a game, I think he hides from situations too often which is a huge issue in a CB. He needs to become a leader, we can't carry passengers if we're to challenge for titles in the future. He needs to be brave enough to make mistakes and still ask for the ball, still go for the challenge or he'll never be rated by the fans, simple as that.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Have to say I agree. I think he's quite a talented defender, particularly on the deck but, a bit like David Luiz when he's struggling in a game, I think he hides from situations too often which is a huge issue in a CB. He needs to become a leader, we can't carry passengers if we're to challenge for titles in the future. He needs to be brave enough to make mistakes and still ask for the ball, still go for the challenge or he'll never be rated by the fans, simple as that.
Yes. I thought he improved a bit on those aspects at the end of last season. He started this season very bad, from preseason and looked kinda shooked for some reason. It carried into the season for sure and it is a bit bizarre because he can do things very well in one moment then he just completely disregard responsibility for his area the next 10 minutes. Beats me. Needs to get that sorted for sure.

Arsenal 2:0 Man Utd

Brophs

The One and Only
Not remotely the take away from tonight and being a nice guy is great and all, but did he really need to pick up Aubameyang after he tried to do him in the second half?

Bobski

That first goal, has a player he could mark, in typical Lindelof fashion he walks away from him hoping someone else can take the responsibility of actually, you know, defending.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m not sure why he tried to play offside in that type of situation. Way too risky, silly decision.

LJJT

He’s just not good enough. He does some good things but his overall game just has too many weaknesses. The most meek centre back I’ve ever seen. Whole defence was appalling tonight

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Honestly would have preferred for us to have kept Blind.
Blind was a class defender who tried to intelligently overcome his deficiencies - if teams overcame them it usually wasn't a player that overcame him, it was a manager and his tactics that may have tried to target him and more often than not he would have held it together apart from matches vs top teams like City.

Players like Smalling & Blind leaving for players like Lindelof & Bailly is just clueless stuff.

criticalanalysis

That block/clearance attempt for the first goal, just :lol:

'Intelligent', 'reads the game well', 'covers excellently', 'doesn't dive in', 'great passer', 'doesn't need to make tackles with great positioning' aka doesn't do anything of note and take responsibility.

Irwin99

Did better than Maguire at least but could have done better with first goal. Everytime I think he's actually really good and is putting some form together something makes me doubt him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.